Start by marking “Friended: A Nostalgia Songfic (Modern Love Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Friended: A Nostalgia Songfic (Modern Love Book 1)

Friended: A Nostalgia Songfic

(Modern Love #1)

1st Place Winner - 2019 NERCA Awards
WISRWA - 2019 Write Touch Awards Finalist
NERCA Award - 2019 Finalist
Stiletto Award - 2019 Finalist
Book Buyer's Best Contest - 2019 Finalist

Compared to life on tour with her wannabe rock star mother, finishing high school in Rye is a snooze. At least Roxy has her best friend, Zoë, her dad, and her music. When her standoffish Civics
Published December 27th 2018 by Luxe Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Friended, please sign up.
Kilby Blades That's a tough one, because I prefer audiobooks to kindle or paperbacks, so I will always prefer to "read" this one on audio. I think it's really fun,…moreThat's a tough one, because I prefer audiobooks to kindle or paperbacks, so I will always prefer to "read" this one on audio. I think it's really fun, no matter how you read :) (less)
Kilby Blades I wanted to imagine what a romance would be like that played out over social media. Even though I didn't publish it until 2018, I originally wrote the…moreI wanted to imagine what a romance would be like that played out over social media. Even though I didn't publish it until 2018, I originally wrote the first version of this story in 2010. Folks who have known me for a long time may know that I used to write fan fiction under the name GreenPuma. "Friended" started out as a pretty popular "Twilight" fanfic called "Facebook Friends". What I loved about writing fanfic is that it was episodic--every time I released a new chapter, I got to giggle over it with my fans.

"Friended" is a pretty thorough rewrite of that 2010 story. "Facebook Friends" got millions of reads but it needed modernization (in "Friended", it's an Instagram romance), and--to be really blunt--I'm a better writer now than I was in 2010. When I go back and read the original "Facebook Friends", I realize how much better "Friended" is. I'm grateful to the experience of having written it back then and learning from those fans. Fan feedback when I was writing fan fiction taught me a lot of what I know about what readers want. (less)

Start your review of Friended: A Nostalgia Songfic (Modern Love Book 1)
Jackie
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Blades turns her hand to YA to good effect in this story set against the background of contemporary social media communication, told in alternating first person accounts. Roxy, newcomer to Rye, CA, is intrigued by her civic class table-mate, Jag, the biggest man at Trinity High (race isn't discussed in the text, but the cover photo depicts the two as white). But Jag gives her the cold shoulder for months, until one day, a friend request from @moves_like_jagga arrives at her Instagram account. ...more
Meels
If I was a 16 year old girl, it would’ve gotten 5 stars. It was cute, sweet, very teenagery. Though it was a little heavy on the sap. The music references boosted my enjoyment immensely. And the nod to Say Anything. I’m a child of the 80’s, what can I say. I graduated in ‘89 (near Seattle), so I was ripe for the picking with the film and the grunge.

But, it was also riddled with editing errors. Little annoying ones and big confusing ones. ie. At one point they are driving from their small
Kate McMurry
A fairly decent, but quite angsty, YA romance with a happy ending.

I was surprised to discover (advertised at the very end of this book) that the author has written a sequel to this novel. She presents the romance in this book as two soulmates who are a love for the ages, and she actually sells that premise pretty well. However, in total contradiction of that claim, in her sequel she breaks up the lovers for the entirety of their college years in order to do a reunion romance.

I personally won't
Sarah Yung
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
For the most part, the writing is capable and natural enough, and the intense interiority of adolescence feels quite realistic. Even so, it’s pretty much insta-love, and sometimes the voice veers sharply toward unrealistic (Jagger referencing Roxy’s “nubile curves” made me gag, as did Roxy’s using “getting jiggy with [it]” unironically in this decade).

Perhaps inevitably, the technology (iPod Nanos and Shuffles) is already dated (both were discontinued in 2017), and the way the teens talk about
Jeanene
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute story of young awkward romance ...more
Wondra Vanian
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, teen, realism
Some books are chocolate chip cookies and some are just chocolate chips. Friended is a chocolate chip - no real substance but sweet as hell.
♥ Kym
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
When cupid goes online and does his job through social media…

4.5stars

I received an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) of this book from Hidden Gems and the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest book review.

The story begins when Roxy received a friend request from Jagger.

Roxy Vega is the daughter of a rock star’s fiancée, and she’s not thrilled by it. Having a normal life as a normal teenager is her main concern even before when her parents decided to get divorced and fought over custody on where she
Bianca Souza
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was a sweet, fun and quick read but I really have a problem with books that have no end.
Auburn
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is super hilarious, and the music refrences make me want to pull up spotify and disappear in them for awhile. The love story is not mean or vindictive and they love eachother in a way that makes a hallmark movie sound childish. My only priblem is that this book is long. Ok 216 pages isn't long but it felt like it. There were a lot of parts I got bored. But overall the back and forth POV makes this an amazing kindle read.
Elisa
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Who Says First Love Can’t Be Real?

Roxy lives with her dad in Northern California. It’s a recent thing; he just got custody back from her flighty mother who gave her up to go on tour as a backup singer. Roxy is happy to finally have some stability and parental supervision and her dad is happy to finally be in her life.

Jagger is Mr. Popular and perfectly pleasing in every way. He lives with his parents, owns his own car and can (and has, according to rumors) date any girl he wants.

The pair sit
Allison Springer
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I received this book as an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

In many ways this was a very typical YA book following a very familiar trope: boy finds girl, boy loses girl, etc. What makes this story different is the pervasive use of music, I also liked the way the author wrote the book entirely from the pov of various characters, almost like journal entries. It made the read easy and quick.

As a self proclaimed music nerd, and an older one at that, I really enjoyed the countless references to
Anna Theurer (Anna's Bookshelf)
Friended is a novel that will capture the hearts of the YA adult population. It is a story that incorporates the teen obsession of social media and finding love/crush through social media and eventually that connection in person. The storyline and the maturity of the characters fits well with the high school scene. It reminded me of myself in high school (only it was waiting by the phone as we had no smart phones!) and all the drama and analyzing that comes along with having a crush. There was a ...more
Bookishly
It was very good.

It did seem to me that the relationship was a little high stakes, but then I guess most relationships seem that way during that age. Friended, to me, was a very sweet and very adorable story. The characters were relatable and I couldn't stop cheering them on. This is the first book by Kilby Blades that I have read and it definitely made me want to read more of her books. Her writing style very much fit the genre and it was an utter joy to read.

However, I did think that maybe
Stephany Snell
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, holy Spotify wormhole.
Second of all, I think it’s happened. Despite my penchant for Cardi B, fairytales, cheap leggings & escapist avoidance of politics, I have become an old. Or, at least, that’s how I feel after reading Friended. To be clear, I’m not some haughty reader of great American literature. I eat trashy romance & cliche YA tropes like tic tacs. I am not above sinking back into the world of high school politics or Friday night football by way of a good meet-cute
Linda
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely and sweet teen romance with music as the tie that binds these shy lovebirds together
January 10, 2019
Format: Kindle Edition
4.5stars
Lovely, well-written, teen romance AND a great way to introduce me to some new music (new to me, anyway)! Keep your streaming service handy as hero Jagger and heroine Roxie are both obsessed with music and live out their romance through a meeting of simpatico taste in tunes. Their connection is initially nudged into being by their gang of close friends and,
Laurie
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I Truly Enjoyed This Gift

Wow! I'm old enough to be Roxy and Jagger's grandmother, and jaded enough to know that "I got along without you before I met you, gonna get along without you now" (no idea whose version of this song I'm recalling or when I first heard it - a very long time ago). But I'm not so old that I've forgotten the highs of being in love for the first time or how devastating it feels to be hurt by love, especially when you're young.

I loved the way this story was developed. I know
Athanasia
I haven't read young adult books in so long after moving onto adult books due to sure disappointment. The premise of the book caught my attention so I went for the plunge and bought the book. I was expecting to be amused at most but I was pleasantly surprised about how much I loved the books. The flow between the characters were so easy, it was even beyond something that I would consider soulmates. I found myself laughing at their antics and rooting for them like a friend that was amused by ...more
Mimia TheReader
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing

I really really liked this book! I was expecting to enjoy it, it’s what I like to read after all, what I wasn’t expecting was to be sucked in and only stop because I had. I still read it in an afternoon. So very compelling.

I really liked that the side characters were funny and actually had backstory too. Also the talking about the existence of nuns because no one talks about them anymore.

There were only two things I wasn’t a fan of. First, the feminist undertones of the girl doing
Elizabeth
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. My thanks to the author and Hidden Gems Books.

Friended is the story of Roxy and Jagger, two high school students that like each other but are too afraid to act on it. They both have emotional baggage from their past that they think makes them unable to have a relationship. Jagger’s friend sends a friend request on his behalf to Roxy on Instagram and Rocky’s friend accepts it for her. What follows is the sweet beginnings of a
The Mysterious Reader
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have two very different reactions to Kilby Blades’ Friended. The first is the sort of happy feeling I get from reading a good YA romance (despite being long past the YA stage of life) with its almost innocence and drama, and the honestly and earnestness of young love. The second is the “dear Lord this is powerful” feeling you get from a novel with complex characters that have real issues that grab you. This book really is both. It’s also wonderfully written. I love the two leads here and the ...more
Darian
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok, I thought this book had promise, it sounded good and there’s a lot of positive reviews on it. But I’m kind of a hater/lover.
I thought the beginning was adorable. It’s a cute idea to have them connect through music but I had to stop myself because he was in love with this girl only after one day of speaking to her face to face. I tried to push past that, they’re 17, teenagers are dumb and young and in love every few weeks.
But then the “fight” made me angry. This girl is dramatic, she needs to
Mandy
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
I don't even know why I read this book, but I did. It was free on Amazon, so I guess I can't complain too much about the grammar errors and the many, many different point of views.

Spoilers ahead.

This book was such a cute idea until I realized I was reading about two high schoolers who are suddenly in love after dating for 2 weeks and they break up over a little white lie. Then everyone in their inner circle goes extremely out of the way to bring these two back... only for the book to suddenly
Auda
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Good until it was almost bad

I really liked the beginning. Jag felt like usual king of the school and Roxy - the girl with balls. But the ending and last situations/issues etc. in the book were so lame and childish, I couldn’t read it without small vomiting in my mouth every time I encountered another lyrics, sobbing, loving each other after 2 weeks of cyber-flirting. No, I do not like such stories, which are interlaced with lyrics, unsaid things (they never got solved in the book) and other BS.
Mandy Stump
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my review.

It seriously made me nostalgic for the days when I too thought I was unique for loving older music. It was formulaic, but why did we watch late 90s/early 2000s teen movies if not for the soundtrack and the end?

One thought before I go- Annika’s story could use a book. I’d definitely read that. In fact, more about Roxy, including more on her relationship with her mother would also be welcome.
Samantha
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
This book was ok. I’m probably not the intended audience but It was a cute high school romance regardless. The big “fight” over the white lie was flimsy but being highschoolers I wasn’t surprised. There were some writing choices that made me cringe. Any time there was mention of Jagger’s physical attraction to Roxanne it made me feel like I was a pedophile. In addition the random POV changes from minor characters was meaningless. It was a cute break between thick novels but that’s it.
Laurie Franco
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book!!

I loved this book, and found it to be extremely well written. Each of the characters, from Roxy and Jagger down to their respective parents are fantastic. The pace of the story was great and for once I enjoyed the alternating perspectives, especially after the semi-breakup of our main characters. Sweet story about love and understanding!
Mandi Morgan
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Ok

So the beginning of the book and relationship was great. A nice development between the characters. But then it falls apart. And in my opinion, has too much drama. And then it ends. Which I know there is a sort of second book. But because of the ending in this I am not tempted to read.
Thi
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Although the vibe of this book was a little more young adult than what I normally read, I quite enjoyed myself. I would have no problem letting my high schooler read this book. What I most enjoyed about the book was the opening blurbs of songs. Some brought back memories and I discovered new artists.
Annie Fitzgerald
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read

Great story about finding love for the first time and realizing that it’s the forever kind of love so you do everything thing you can to hold onto it. With the added touch of comedy, music and even some soul wrenching heart break this is a story that pulls you in and keeps you hanging on.

• I Temporarily Do
  • The Extra (The Extra Series, #1)
  • Dirty Player (Back to You, #2)
  • Perfectly Played
  • Rugged
  • Rebel Heart
  • Wingman (Rascals #2)
  • He's Going Down (One Wild Wish, #1)
  • A Mistletoe Kiss
  • All The Things We Lost (River Valley Lost & Found, #1)
  • Never Have I Ever Kissed My Brother's Best Friend (Never Ever Love, #1)
  • Elfhame (Darkwood Chronicles #1)
  • Midnight with the Devil (Unlikely Heroes #1)
  • The Wedding Charm (The Wedding Whisperer, 1)
  • Security Risk (Pelican Bay Security Book 1)
  • The Possibility of Perfect (A Stand By Me Novel, #4)
  • Survive the Night (24 Hours - Final Countdown Book 1)
  • Fair Game (The Rules, #1)
Follow Kilby's awesome newsletter, including "TMI Thursdays", at http://www.kilbyblades.com/subscribe

Kilby Blades is a 40-time-award-winning author of Romance and Women's Fiction. Her debut novel, Snapdragon, was a HOLT Medallion finalist, a Publisher’s Weekly BookLife Prize Semi-Finalist, and an IPPY Award medalist. Kilby was honored with an RSJ Emma Award for Best Debut Author in 2018, and has

Modern Love (2 books)
  • Ended? (Modern Love Book 2)
“I smiled more widely before we both went back to our tests. Mr. Taylor rolled his eyes. I didn’t care what he thought of us, or teenage love, or making goo-goo eyes at one another during a serious test. I didn’t care what anyone thought, because I knew. I knew Roxy was the best thing that had ever happened to me and that moving here was the best thing that ever happened to her. I knew this summer would be epic. I knew college was a long way away. And I knew that, one day, I would marry that girl.” 0 likes
“I know you've been in love before, Mr. Vega. What I mean is, I know you and Roxy's mother were once in love. Only love could create a person as special as Roxy."

My feet stopped moving and I turned back to look at him again. This kid is good.

"Well, I'm in love with your daughter. And I mean no disrespect to you or her, sir. I only mean to fix it.”
0 likes