Start by marking “The Other Book (Those Other Books, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Other Book (Those Other Books, #1)

The Other Book

(Those Other Books #1)

It was supposed to be just sex... Famous last words.

Tyler doesn't overthink pleasure and avoids complications. He knows it might be stupid to get involved with his closeted boss, but the temptation is too great. At first, the cold and beautiful Joel Sandstrom seems to loathe Tyler's guts.

Except one late night at the office, his reasons become clear...and his control breaks
Published January 30th 2019 by Beaten Track Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Other Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Book

Start your review of The Other Book (Those Other Books, #1)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*4.5 stars*

Holy crap, did you know that Roe Horvat could write filthy, delicious, erotic romance? I sure didn't!

Honestly, I had no idea what I was getting into when I started this book. I have a bad habit of not reading blurbs and getting books solely on author name and/or friends' reviews. I did not know that I was in for the erotic ride of a lifetime.

Some warnings: This book is a VERY explicit M/M ROMANCE. There are also scenes with multiple partners (<--- important for some readers to know).
Judith
I wanted to worship him.

Firstly,for those who don't normally read the Author's note at the beginning I advise you to read it here.
This is hot,I mean seriously hot BUT it's not just gratuitous sex...it's important to the story.As the Author states physical pleasure shouldn't be wrong and who you love/experience love with is your choice.

Starting a new book by this Author is like Christmas.....

The anticipation,the excitement,the knowledge you're going to get something pretty special and
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

All the glowing reviews for this novel are true! This book is a bombshell: explosive, intense, and sexy as fuck.

Told solely from Tyler's POV, The Other Book has kinky edges and tender moments, not to mention a delicious enemies-to-lovers theme and a workplace romance (Tyler is a designer and contracts with Joel's marketing/advertising company).

I'm not usually a fan of MCs having sex with other people on page. In fact, I hate it. But Horvat created such an appealing couple in Adam and Christ
Shile
4.5 erotic stars

OH MY GAAAAAAWD!

THIS BOOK IS HOOOOOOT!!

I bent down and caught his upper lip between mine. I nipped at it once, then his lower lip, and he opened up for me, his tongue meeting mine. The first taste. A kiss. The longest, deepest, single most erotic kiss of my life.

description

It is Erotic!

It is sweet!

First of all, don’t ignore the warnings, if they put you off, don’t go in, if you can handle all that! Then by all means, READ THIS BOOK!

I unzipped swiftly and took my hard cock out, str
Jan
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, lgbtq, favorites
Re-read: May 2019

As hot as the first time!

**** 4.5 Stars ****

Holy moley, people.
I mean, holy shit

Hands down the most hot non BDSM book I have read this year. Pouring eroticism. It starts on a bang. A big bonus is added to it as soon as it starts unfold and we watch the story line taking form behind all scorching scenes. Tagging along with the hotness and a good story line, comes a tad bit of angst, which makes this book stand out from the dozen other hot stories I've been reading but forgettin
* A Reader Obsessed *
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to * A Reader Obsessed * by: Sheri
4 Steamy Stars!

Is it hot in here? I think it’s hot in here.

No one has lied to you that this is one erotic piece of writing, but rest assured it also has a plot.

To be honest, I feel it’s kinda rare to find a book so riddled with quality good stuff and I for one, appreciate such. You already knew that though. *wink*

So, if too much of said good stuff isn’t your thing, then this book is probably not for you because there’s a lot. I also feel confident that if you haven’t read Horvat’s other works,
Wendy
4ssdf

This book is quite the topic on Goodreads and it isn't even out yet. I have seen friends left and right raving about how good it is and of course, I had to read it for myself and see. I am glad to say that they were NOT wrong !!

Most of all this book is extremely HOT. Be prepared and approach with caution...your underwear might disintegrate...

Gerelateerde afbeelding

Now there is a warning at the beginning of this book and it states that this is a gay romance and that there are scenes with sexual interactions between mor
Meags
4.5 Stars

I absolutely devoured this story.

Not only was this one of the most erotically charged M/M books I've ever read, but it also seriously delivered on an emotional depth level, too.

At the onset, I'll admit I had my reservations because of the popularly talked about foursome action within, but I needn't have worried, because even though such themes and romance dynamics aren't ones I'd normally seek out or enjoy in my reading, I was wildly impressed with how such was handled here... Plus, i
Dia
"And all I felt was deep joy - a basic, soul-warming happiness."

I finished this amazing book hours ago and I still find myself re-reading my highlights. I feel like re-reading this whole book because for me, it was PERFECTION. It might sound crazy, but I feel like this story comes right from my most hidden fantasies. This author put into words exactly what I wanted in a book. It's exactly what makes my heart skip a beat. Or ten! It's everything!

I finished this book so many hours ago
Trio
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-r2r, mm-romance
Available in audio too, performed by the absolutely lovely voice of Vance Bastian: https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Other-...

March 2020
Roe Horvat has put out a short freebie of the next chapter for Tyler and Joel (so beautiful). If you love these guys you won't want to miss this: https://www.prolificworks.com/discove...

There’s something in each of Roe Horvat’s stories that centers me and reminds me of what’s truly important in life. The Other Book is an exploration of intimacy, trust, and strength
Isabella. R
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Isabella. R by: Birjis
4 Begging to be Free Stars ⭐

"How did I get to this place? In love with my closeted bastard of a boss. Who wasn’t a bastard at all."

Roe Horvat should be commended for writing such a raw and mesmerising novella that left me spellbound. This author managed to bring something new and refreshing to this genre I thought I was privy to. Boy was I wrong. It was a glorious exploration of pleasure, gratification and happiness. When I say this story was hot…I mean it was HOT.

At first glance bossman Joel Sa
Lorraine Lesar
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eroticacident Alert!

(Erotica-as-dent) noun.
...an event which happened due to reading this book

After reading the glorious Vanilla Clouds by this author and with several nudges from friends - Shile (to get my mojo back), Denise H. (to find my smutty side), Jan (...because it’s Jan being Jan) and Lily (because she first recommended Vanilla Clouds to me), I ventured into this book with my eyes wide open, big girl panties firmly in place ready to be eroticised.
Did I get it? Oh yes.
Did I like it? Not
Moony Eliver
I'm out here on a deserted island with this one, my friends. I wish it had done as much for me as it did for everyone else.

Here's what I was excited about going into this. I'd only read one book by Roe Horvat so far — Vanilla Clouds. In that one, the story and characters were tight, the chemistry and relationship development was solid, and the sex was hot. The Other Book was presented as an erotic departure for the author, so I was hoping his strengths would still be there and the sex would be
Cadiva
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
When Roe said - shortly after releasing the sweet sweet love story that was Vanilla Clouds - that he was working on 'the other book' and it was so different he was considering whether to release it under a pen name, I was one of those who said I'd read it whatever name he published under.

Well, he chose to put it out here with his name firmly attached and I've read it just as I said I would.

But let me say this clearly - this book may be erotica, it may be so hot you're going to want a cold showe
Exina
The Story
Casual – and blisteringly hot – sex turns into love, or attraction-masked-with-dislike turns into love.

The Romance
After they start to talk, the romance develops fast, but not annoyingly so.

Characters
I loved Tyler, he was so honest, open, and perceptive. And I loved Joel, too. The story is told from Tyler’s viewpoint, in first person, and of course his view is biased, but Joel is such a complex and fascinating character.
Immaculate and controlled businessman by day, wild, uninhibited
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
3.5 Hearts

The Other Book is going directly into the "other" drawer in my nightstand because...

Joel and Tyler start off with a bang. I would not recommend reading it in public and definitely don't get it too close to anything flammable. Well, nothing flammable that you care about.

Joel works for Tyler. They seemingly don't get on well EXCEPT during the boomshakalaka. I wish there had been more of the hate sex variety boomshakalaka but, I guess, there had to be some sort of relationship progres
DarienMoya
This was a great story to get me back in the reading mood. My first Roe book and it won’t be my last. Can we talk about all the hot fire 🔥 this was? Ummm excuse me how gon put so much heat in one book?

My arm hairs fizzled, I lost my damn edges and pants.

You snatched my wig sir, clean of my head

description
Nazanin
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2019
3.5 Stars

Told in single POV, 1st person. It’s a standalone, enemies to lovers novella, a bit angsty with likable characters. It’s a quick, steamy, emotional read. This one was a bit different from what I had read before by the author. Overall, I enjoyed it and hope you like it as well!
Author’s warning: (view spoiler)
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***4.5 Stars***

Wow! Just Wow!! I couldn't put this down!

Roe Horvat brought the heat and made it the star of this book, showing the different ways that sex can impact a person's life...from ecstasy to escape, it can be a crutch and a comfort. I love how sex positive this book is!

With this newest release, Roe Horvat continues to show why he's a breath of fresh air in romance. He crafted a tale that is 100% erotically charged with the perfect balance of emotion and angst.

He breathed in an
Melanie A.
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq, ku, m-m, smutastic
4.5 STARS!
Raw joy was what I felt, and it terrified me.
Gotta love it when your GR friends - and friends of friends -rave about a book and it lives up to the hype! :D

PHEW! This one was unapologetically filthy and explicit! But of course, smut alone isn't going to get such a high rating from me . . .

The Other Book had some really sweet/poignant moments and such a wonderful message woven throughout, one of love and acceptance and freedom. And I LOVED it.
"I want to give y
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5 Stars!

I will absolutely give this book 5 stars for the heat factor. It was scorching.

The rest is more along the lines of 3 stars for me. Don't get me wrong, I liked it. And maybe it's my fault for trying to compare this to The Layover and Vanilla Clouds.

I thought the transition from enemies to lovers was rather quick. And once it transitioned it became pretty sappy and at times cheesy. Not something I experienced in the aforementioned Roe Horvat books.

Still, I can appreciate what RH was g
 ⚣ Marco ⚣
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read November 2019

I'm bumping my rating up to *4 stars*.

I enjoyed this book WAY more during this re-read than I did the first time around. Mostly because now I knew what to expect.

But I stand by my initial opinion: this book - and I will die on this hill - is NOT erotica, even though the author claims that it is. It's a romance novella with just lots and lots of sex scenes.

I still don't really care about any of the characters or pairings, but my inner perv still likes it enough. *shrugs*

Initi
Christelle
**3.5 stars**

The other book is different from what I read so far from this author (and there is no complaint from me in that statement). I commend Roe Horvat's explanatory notes about that.

Let’s get my niggle out of the way first : as much as I could sense a whole range of emotion including love and respect during all the highly erotic and sensual scenes, I didn’t get the same sense outside of them, so the path that lead to this loving relationship between Tyler and Joel felt too “insta-lovey” a
Fabi
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This story was hot. Because of all the buzz, I thought it was going to be straight up erotica. When I first started reading I was hoping really hard there would be a romance in there somewhere.

There was! In fact, a hauntingly beautiful love story.. All of the hot, steamy sex scenes were filled with love and acceptance. There was a heavy cloud of love blanketing every single scene.

Except for the first few with our MCs. That's the part where I would have liked a little more buildup. I had no idea
~Volha~
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Due to a overwhelming amount of good reviews, I knew I needed to read this book. It's my first time with Roe Horvat and I know it won't be the last. I enjoyed it very much from the author's note to the last word in the epilogue. What I took away from this book is the sense of freedom to express yourself without fear, to trust your friends and to always be true to yourself.

Joel and Tyler are such interesting characters. Both of them have that same passion, but whereas Tyler is open about it and
Eugenia
Audiobook: June 2020 (3 Stars)
UGH! This narrator needs to mature and was the wrong choice for this book. He sounded too young and often mispronounced words. Still, the book came through and I enjoyed it.

My rec? Read it!

Original review: Jan 2019 -4.5 Stars!
Glorious!!! This book! This book was amazingly HOT! The characters were complex and so were their desires.

Together, their interactions grew and changed over time to something true and moving. And yes, hot!!

This is one of my favorite authors a
mwana
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: erotica, mm, contemporary
Heed this warning.

May cause spontaneous combustion of loins, increased heart size and pulse. Will soak you in feels. And make you wish it was longer. Enjoy at your own risk.
Ky
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2019
Fair warning: this book consists mainly of sex scenes and for some of them there are more than two parties involved.

However, this isn't your typical PWP. Somehow, Roe Horvat managed to write a book full of sex scenes that was also full of emotion, tough situations and character growth. When I decided to read "The Other Book" I wasn't sure at all about what my rection would be, mainly to the foursome scene. As the story went on though it was clear that there was nothing about that partcular scene
Bark
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: erotica, romance, m-m
I picked this up two months or so ago to give my brain a little break from all of the darkness I read. It was getting some amazing reviews but alas this isn't going to be another of them.

I am afraid I may be broken. This book was 90% sexy times and 10% everything else and it bored me to tears. *cries inconsolably* What has happened to me?

This one didn’t work for me at all. I tried and I tried but every time I came back to it I found myself wanted to read anything but this boring romance. Not hel
Ariana
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved Roe Horvat's previous books, particularly A Love Song for the Sad Man in the White Coat, and was immediately drawn to the blurb of his latest release.

A cold and beautiful guy? An office romance? Just sex? No strings attached? And a guy who might change all that?
How could I possibly resist!

And then the title:
I am a sucker for original titles and this one certainly piqued my interest. The author explains at the beginning how this book got its name, and I would urge you to read it, becaus
The Backlot Gay B...: The Other Book, by Roe Horvat 3 11 Mar 23, 2019 07:50AM
Turning Pages At ...: The Other Book by Roe Horvat (M/M Buddy Read) 32 22 Feb 28, 2019 07:20PM

• Milo (Finding Home, #2)
  • Want Me (Extracurricular Activities #1)
  • The Guy in the Window
  • Spring Strings
  • Gideon (Finding Home, #3)
  • I Saw You First
  • Nailed (Four Bears Construction, #2)
  • 3 Dates
  • If We Could Go Back (Camassia Cove, #6)
  • Family Camp (Daddy Dearest, #1)
  • Heated Rivalry (Game Changers, #2)
  • Oz (Finding Home, #1)
  • Made for You (Love and Family, #2)
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • IRL: In Real Life (After Oscar, #1)
  • Now You See Me
  • Best Man (Close Proximity, #1)
  • Charlie Sunshine (Close Proximity, #2)
Queer fiction author Roe Horvat was born in the post-communist wasteland of former Czechoslovakia. Equipped with a dark sense of sarcasm, Roe traveled Europe and finally settled in Sweden. He came out as transgender in 2017 and has been fabulous since. He loves Jane Austen, Douglas Adams, bad action movies, stand-up comedy, pale ale, and daiquiri, with equal passion. When not hiding in the studio ...more

Those Other Books (4 books)
  • Adam Only (Those Other Books #2)
  • Third One (Those Other Books #3)
  • Beautiful Beast (Those Other Books, #4)