Start by marking “The Victory Garden Companion” as Want to Read:
The Victory Garden Companion

The Victory Garden Companion

3.35  ·  Rating details ·  26 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
The nation's oldest and most popular gardening program, The Victory Garden, is proud to present The Victory Garden Companion, an indispensable guide that offers the best in gardening expertise in a straightforward and friendly manner, inviting gardeners of all levels to dig in and get their hands in the soil. Moreover, host Michael Weishan shows budding landscapers how to ...more
Published January 23rd 2007 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published February 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Victory Garden Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Victory Garden Companion

Vanessa
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
It's a beautiful book and well written, the sections succinct and interesting. My favorite is the vegetable gardening section, from which I have been inspired to change my south lawn into an all vegetable garden! Including herbs and cutting flowers and etc. It will take a while to get it going, but I have all winter to prepare for next spring (however, right now the lawn is covered with pine bush branches ready to be hauled off to the dump).

I have visions of plants dancing around in my head. It
Alice Delaney
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I thought this was going to be mostly eye candy, providing "inspiration" but not a lot of practical information. I mean, yes, the gardens of Colonial Williamsburg are lovely, but that is never going to be what my yard looks like. I was pleasantly surprised! There is quite a bit of detailed information in there regarding border plantings and vegetable gardens. I especially liked the suggestions beginning page 201 and the idea of orgainzing your seeds by the month in which they should be started. ...more
Chriss
Jun 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
Has some good charts of plants. Also, a chart about American historical architecture and the garden trends from that era. Some good pond information, too.
Jill
Apr 21, 2009
Michelle
Jun 25, 2010
Mark
Jan 05, 2014
Anne Johnson
Not applicable to southern gardens.
Jayne
Sep 07, 2011
Bethany
Jun 09, 2012
Jeff Wielert
rated it did not like it
Jan 01, 2013
is currently reading it
Oct 29, 2017
EJ
Oct 28, 2008
Born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Michael Weishan first began gardening at the age of five. Originally intending to follow his grandfather into the State Department (hence his Harvard training in Classics and Romance Languages), Michael ultimately chose to pursue a different path – combining avocation with vocation in the field of landscape design.

After founding his own design/build firm Michael Weish
More about Michael Weishan...