Start by marking “Broken Bangles - A Literary Corpus” as Want to Read:
Broken Bangles - A Literary Corpus

Broken Bangles - A Literary Corpus

This book is not entirely a work of fiction as I have been a close witness of the incidents narrated in the book. It comprises of three stories which talk about women and how their bangles (read societal norms) have clipped their wings and have caged them in vivid cages. Broken Bangles is a journey of Meina, Nisha and Sudha as they carved their way out.
ebook, First, 35 pages
Published December 26th 2018 by Amazon

To ask other readers questions about Broken Bangles - A Literary Corpus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Bangles - A Literary Corpus

Start your review of Broken Bangles - A Literary Corpus
Tavleen Kaur
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Broken Bangles is a collection of three thought-provoking short stories. The book starts with a heart-warming preface that tells us that the author based the stories on real-life people.

The first story ‘Literature Kotha’ showing an interview with a tawaif was nothing like I’ve read before. ‘Perfume’ was heart-wrenching, not only because of its events but also because it is the reality of many families. ‘The House of Widows’ was incredibly sad and beautiful.

The book is well-edited, and the writi
Teenu Vijayan
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book has three short and impactful stories that throws a light into the misogyny and patriarchal norms of our society. The women here may be different but they all share the same turmoil and they have tried to break free from societal double standards.
Vaidehi, you can elaborate each of them into fill fleged stories too as they all let me wanting to read more.
Bhaumik Sheth
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Impressive!

An impactful, thought provoking collection of three woman centric short stories. These stories reflect varied themes but they are tied gracefully through a common thread -- Bangles!

A prostitute sharing her poignant life story, a wife facing an infidel, alcholoic husband, a strange love-hate relationship between a widow and her mother in law -- these stories reflect the truth of our society which is buried somewhere but needs to be unearthed. And the author does the work amazingly.

I'
DALIP
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘Broken Bangles’ Is A Collection Of Three Short Stories Each Interlinked With A Common Thread Of Pain & Sorrow That Is As Not Just An 👁 Opener But Also Reflects How The Bond Of Pain Is Far More Stronger Than The Bonding Of Joy.
‘Literature Kotha’ The Opening Story Is About A 70 Year Old Meina Jaan Who Was Tricked By Her Own College Friend Zeinat To Find Herself In A Brothel..Simply Because The Friend Betrayed Her So She Could Marry Her Boyfriend Knowing That Once She Landed In A Brothel Even Her
Sanchari Das
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"The twinkling sound that her bangles made seemed as necessary as breathing."

Short, interesting and heart-rending, "Broken Bangles" by Vaidehi Sharma tells the tale of three different women and their struggles with their cruel fate that led to their broken bangles.

"Literature Kotha" records the interview of a tawaif who opens up about the heart-wrenching realities she had faced. 'Perfume' is the story of the mother who didn't allow the wife in her to revolt against her husband but had to pay hea
AANVI WRITES
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
All of it should be heard cos I’m the one who exists to keep all this alive and it will all die with me…..
Life is very cruel and unpredictable at times. But the desire to live beyond all challenges, and emerge as a winner is what makes it worthwhile.
Broken Bangles as the title reads gets a string of emotions into our mind. The pain and the struggle women go through is beyond any words could describe. This short Novella depicts the harsh reality of life 3 women face in life in 3 beautifully writt
Aditi Roy
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is the collection of three different short stories that are based on the harsh truths of our society. Author has penned down this kind of sensitive issues so beautifully that you will feel that all are real-life incidents happening in front of your eyes.

1. Literature Kotha-
the first story about Meina Jaan who was a literature student but unfortunately she had to come in prostitution just because of her friend's treachery. Her story was so heart touching and the way she expressed her pa
Honey & Anjali
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The title does full justice to the book. Bangles symbolizes feminity and beauty but here they are nothing more or less than iron chains keeping the women prisoner of the social norms.

The book consists of intriguing and though provoking stories of three different woman and their struggles.

1) Literature Kotha

This story is about Miena who was forced into prostitution. Prior to her dismay she used to be a literature student and even though life put her on a different path, she made sure to strive fo
Anuja
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
☀Broken Bangles☀
Author :Vadehi

🔴Background
The book is collection of three heart-touching beautiful short stories...
🌵The first story is a story of a prostitution who is in her 70s and her retelling during an interview about her life and how society bifocals lead to no come out...the story is heart pouring and takes time to absorb
🍁the second story of a wife and mother who sense betrayal from her husband which got a unturning end
🍀the third story is of daughter in law who was also a wife who had lost
Simran Gandhi
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Woman have always been fighters and continue to be yet they listen the immature words from the patriarchal and male chauvinist society. This is the harsh truth of our society as they are caught up between the society and ruthless nature of male wolves and due to this there is an increment in the hatred .
The author Vaidehi Sharma has sculpted the beauty of woman in all her three stories and the issues of misfortune, pain, grief, and devoid faced by them. Especially, the cover has been created wi
Abrar
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The book has three stories which are clad with emotions and has good narration. This book is must read for everyone. I felt really good after reading this.
Kirti Changlani
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The book is a cluster of three short stories
I.e literature kotha, perfume and house of widows.

In the first story , the narrative is of a interview of a lady who runs a brothel but there is a library and children learning there, those are babies of the workers there. The Interview is spellbound and leaves you thinking after a walk across the intellectual mind of the lady and it says a lot about what pain the sex workers go through, it's a very poignant and deep and impactful read.

Second is about
Palvi Sharma
Jan 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The title of the book is well suited to the book. The book is a short story collection of three stories. The book consists of stories of woman struggle and hardships.
Author focuses on bringing the side of woman's life which is often ignored. The literature of Kotha is my favourite story among all three. The story is very heartbreaking and painful to read.
I would value the efforts of the author for writing about such sensitive issues. The writing is very bold and provoking. I like the narration
Gourab Mitra
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Broken Bangles by Vaidehi Sharma is not a book of short stories. It is about three dimensional story. Meina Jaan, Nisha and Sudha. The world of these characters seems normal until the blossoms. It is direct from heart, a story written by a woman about women. But nowhere you would feel her indulgence. The first story starts a with first person point of view which very intellectual writing as it helps the reader to feel the same thing as the narrator. The second story shifts to first person charac ...more
Anubha Garg
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The writing style was impressive with a simple and straightforward language. It was a quick and short read. The content expressed has been handled aptly and with such sincerity that the stories are bound to strike a chord in each and every reader's heart and mind. I would strongly recommend to every reader, this book which gives the story of every woman's life, words and a voice..
BookRavager
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
3 stories. One Word : Fantastic. Stories dealing with emotions as raw as the world itself. Great read! 👏
A.
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Broken bangles is a collection of three short yet powerful stories. Stories, which are heart touching and breaks your heart into hundreds of pieces.

Each story tells a tale which really leaves an impact on the reader. The narration of each story is so powerful that you actually visualize each scene and you feel the pain, the heartbreak in each story.

Each story has so much to reveal that I feel each story can be transformed into a full-fledged novel as after you finish reading each story you feel
John  Trident
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
The broken bangles

The book is a mourning of all the women our there. They sing a lullaby of pain which sings from their very existence. It seeps through their veins & the feelings scorch through the plaintiffs, also unravel the very dark side of our society.

Cover is beautiful, aptly chosen. Title is apt. Theme is good.

The book talks about the pain of women as they undergo through various atrocities & are subjugated to various crimes which occur to them from time to time.
Often life pushes us
Sidharth Bansal
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Living in a patriarchal society is not an easy task for females. Every now and then they have to listen shit about themselves coz they are considered to bring bad omens. They are being raped and molested and still have to stay silent. They are actually tied by all these societeal norms and thoughts. Though "Broken bangles" is a short book but discusses some of the very sensitive topics.

It is a compilation of 3 short stories which discusses 3 different topics and each one of them is very sensitiv
Payal Saha
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a compilation of 3 stories revolving around 3 women facing different kinds of turmoil in their respective lives. Each of these stories is disparate, yet the common link these women shared was their lives being shackled up by societal norms signified by their broken bangles. The thing that touched and disturbed me most was the fact all 3 of these stories in the book are inspired/based on real-life incidents. And while reading the book something inside me was telling the same, these s ...more
Audriza Banerjee
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I feel honored to review such a beautiful piece of art by a fellow bookstagrammer and friend Vaidehi. All the best to her and congratulations for such a great success with her book.

Review

Title is catchy; though the subtitle steals the show for me

Three stories which made me cry

All the titles of the stories were mesmerizing ( for example Literature Kotha; others you've to read and find out)

Shows the scars beneath the ornamentation of Bangles

Society's indifference is shown in the best manner

I compl
PriyaM
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bangles are considered the most auspicious accessory in Indian culture and yet the same accessory becomes inauspicious during those anguish period of a woman’s life. How ironical?

A novella featuring 3 women who go through hardships in life.

A brilliant write up by Ms. Vaidehi. Her stories were very strong in bringing out the pain woman has to endure in all walks of her life. Meina Jaan, the protagonist of the first story got me captivated with her traumatic life yet she had an intellectual way of
Rahill
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
So this book contains three short stories:⁣
.⁣
• 𝐋𝐢𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐭𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐊𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐚 is the first story and is about a protective mother and a prostitute Meina Jaan who was interviewed and told her story, how she ended up there. And how she wanted her daughter to be treated like a normal person.⁣
.⁣
• 𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐮𝐦𝐞 is the second story of the book, the story begins with a family which was about to be shattered because Nisha's husband was cheating on her. ⁣
• 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐇𝐨𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝗪𝐢𝐝𝐨𝐰𝐬 is third and the last story of the book which
Sourav Chatterjee
Mar 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Broken Bangles is basically a book of short stories. All the stories are written on a social context, basically issues related women. The struggles and void they gone through. The concept is good but the stories could have been more well narrated. The plot construction could have been more better. The language is clear. And the title is okay.
The cover cover is beautiful.
Overall a short but good read.
Meera
Feb 16, 2019 rated it did not like it
I would like to give zero stars for this book.

The author is a review exchanger. Let me explain. She does favors to other writers by writing a review and asks them to return the same. And this how she gets reviews and claims to be a bestselling author 😂😂😂
Carlos Luis
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Vaidehi Sharma carves strong woman stories the characters of which do not want to leave you free. They still remain to haunt you or to put it optimistically they churn the reality that exists and will remain to.

for more click the link::
Chander Gupta
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked the Literature kotha and House of widows in this book as they have pictured women in a very different manner. I really loved the way the characters are penned down. A must read!
Surekha
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Three small stories. But have a big impact and huge respect for the female lead characters in the stories. And the author Vaidehi felt the emotions went through by these characters.

Feeling so heavy after reading the first and second story. But relieved after reading about the women in the last story had a practical ending. Matured women are portrayed in the book.
Anupama C K(b0rn_2_read)
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
It has 3 short stories. Stories based on real life incidents. I just wish it was longer
Rajeev Upadhyay
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
It is small story book consisting three stories namely ‘Literature Kotha’, ‘Perfume’ and ‘The House of Widows’. The first story ‘Literature Kotha’ is about a prostitute who loves to read English literature. This story has a very large canvas but the story ends perhaps earlier. However it is able reflect the mental trauma that protagonist ‘Meina Jaan’ had to undergo when she was forced in the business of prostitution by her friend ‘Zeinat’.

The second story ‘Perfume’ is story of family which is ab
BOOK REVIEW OF IN...: Reviewers Needed for A short kindle Corpus 1 12 Jan 03, 2019 08:30AM
Book Reviewers needed 1 2 Jan 03, 2019 08:26AM

• I am a home to butterflies
  • The Code of Manavas (Maha Vishnu Trilogy #1)
  • Together Forever To Never
  • Tied Hearts: Lust, Love, Longing, and Rajveer
  • The Chemical Drones
  • Blood and Beloved: A collection of dark poetry from Hell
  • A Train Story: flash reads by Himanshu Goel
  • Faith and the Beloved (Kochery C Shibu)
  • Lehengey & Lafdey
  • ENDURER A Rape Story
  • SHE STOOD BY ME
  • Volcanic Moments: Heart Popping Tales
  • Song of Life: A Poetic Retelling of Mahabharatha
  • This is Demand of Time: Must Know ways to Detect & Fulfil the Demand to Achieve great Success

News & Interviews