Start by marking “Against the Wind” as Want to Read:
Against the Wind

Against the Wind

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  187 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Puente del Norte -- the last place on earth Maddy Lambert had expected to find herself. Yet here she was in the middle of Central America in an embattled guerrilla camp on a mission impossible. She'd come to get her dying father, whose ideals had carried him far from home and won him the title of El Patron -- the Saint. She'd crossed a country at war only to be told that h ...more
Published December 1st 1985 by Dell Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Against the Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Against the Wind

Carolyn Crane
May 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
It was so funny to read an Anne Stuart written so early (the hero was a Vietnam vet!) But this is one of her recent reissues, and I just so love her. Most of the action takes place in a fictional war-torn Central American country. which is beautifully and vividly rendered, and the characters just pop - there is this minor character, Soledad, who I just loved.

While it's masterful in so many Anne Stuart ways, there is something disjointed about the central plot, like it's in two halves, kind of,
Alex is The Romance Fox
Another earlier book by one of my favorite romantic suspense writers and though I enjoyed it, it was not one of my favorites of hers.

The plot was interesting and intriguing set in some fictional South American country…where the bad guys are involved in drugs and kill off the innocent poor!!!! But the storyline does have a unique premise, which I really liked.

I wasn’t crazy about the hero, Jake. He was really a bastard at times towards Maddy, the heroine.
The one character who did it for me was S
MBR
So, I seem to be making my way slowly through the back-list of books published by the one and only Anne Stuart. The one thing that you can always count on with Anne Stuart; she delivers a story that will keep you engrossed, even if it is a book you want to throw against the wall towards the end.

30 year old Maddy Lambert makes her way to the war-torn country of San Pablo to meet her father who had upped and left one day with his idealistic view of the world when Maddy had been just 17 years old.
Laylah
Aug 19, 2010 rated it liked it
Granted the heroine has some backbone, the story is a lot rough around the edges. What makes the book (and any other Stuart's book) is the ardent chemistry between the leads. You can't read her book without imagining being the receiving end of that kind of passion just once.
Applefruit
Mar 01, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a good book, well worth the read if you're an Anne Stuart fan. It isn't my favorite book, however, not by a long shot. Maddy got on my nerves a bit, and Jake really caused her to suffer a lot. Finally, there was too much political side story for my taste.
Angela
Apr 03, 2014 marked it as tbr-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
3 April 2014: $0.00 FREE on Kindle
Shawn Fox
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is one of my favorite authors..... Not my favorite book. Felt short and came together way too easily.
Missmeanie
Kindle Unlimited

This novel is one of Anne’s earlier I’m assuming due to the story timeline and way of writing. The start was interesting enough but then all the betrayals and drama came out etc then it was just confusing. still a good read to pass the time. It’s free under KU so nothing to lose but time.
Stacey
I was thrilled to discover this oldie but goodie on Amazon. Anne Stuart has an amazing ability to create sexy alpha males that are total assholes on the outside yet so damn vulnerable beneath the surface. It does me in every time. Every.Single.Time. I never fall for a character harder than I do for her men. They are quiet and deadly and I freaking LOVE them. Jack Murphy in Against the Wind is no exception. As for Maddy, she's not going to win the World's Best Heroine award anytime soon, but I li ...more
Lua
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
There’s always something that I like in Anne Stuart’s stories. As for many of her heroes, it takes almost to the end of the story also for Jake to make up his mind about his love life. In few parts, this book reminded me of Into the fire, which has been my first Stuart book, the one that made me start reading her. But to me, Against the wind has not been as good as Into the fire, maybe simply because the latter has been written more than a decade later.
Anyway it has been good enough to enjoy it
SmittenKitten
Against the Wind hits all the check boxes for a typical Anne Stuart romance:

-An unusual plot
-A mature heroine, typically in her early 30s.
-A bad-boy Hero whose morality and innocence is dubious.
-A hero who is occasionally verbally mean/cruel to the heroine.
-A hero who is described at some point as being lean, having long fingers or nice hands... seriously, Anne Stuart has a thing for a man's hands.
-Flashbacks between the hero/heroine- usually the best part!
-Rushed, strange, or OTT ending
Lord Rose
Reading old contemporary books always gives me an odd feeling. Considering that this book is older than I am, in a way it almost felt like reading historical fiction. (I suppose in the same way that reading Jane Austen is considered reading historical fiction, even though it was contemporary for her.)

Anyway, I enjoyed reading this book. Anne Stuart's heroes make me happy. (Okay, that sentence looks very odd, but whatever.)
Teri Heyer
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Romantic Suspense.
Recommended to Teri by: Amazon/Kindle
I love reading books by Anne Stuart. I know the hero will be a to-die-for hunk who is a bit rough around the edges. I love those Alpha Males. Well, 'Against the Wind' was every bit as good as expected. If you love romantic suspense then this is a must read.
Pat
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014, deleted
A very good story filled with mystery, adventure and suspense. So many twists and turns, it was sometimes hard to tell if the characters were on the side of the revolution or the government. If you like action, read this book
Michele Mannon
Mar 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I love Anne Stuart and was excited to see some of her earlier releases on Amazon. I just began "Against the Wind", a romantic suspense. Odd title but the content is as expected . . . excellent! No one writes bad boys like Stuart, and this one is the heroine's former crush. Keep you posted.
natasha k
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: to-buy
much like in the lines of stil lake, surely not her best work. the hero was okay, the heroine lacked tue spirit to engage me.
Danielles
Ebook PC en tel e.d. en kindle!
Khayatun
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
tentang revolusi gitu. not my thing.
Firstpella
Hate the location and the background - revolution in Mexico or some such. Snore. Skimmed all those sections. Take that crap out, solid Stuart.
Diane G McGee
Aug 14, 2015
Vicki Parsons
Mar 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Shannon Mckenna's McCloud Brothers Bundle: Fade to Midnight, Behind Closed Doors, Standing in the Shadows, Out of Control, Edge of Midnight, Extreme Danger & Ultimate Weapon
  • Capture the Night
  • Emerald Embrace
  • The End of Tomorrow (The Single Lady Spy, #3)
  • Orchids in Moonlight
  • The Stargazer (Arboretti Family, #1)
  • Wild Heart (Blazing Frontier, #2)
  • Night of the Candles (Classic Gothics Collection, #6)
  • Windswept
  • Ship of Dreams
  • Run for Your Life
  • Once Upon a Ballroom
  • The Impostor Bride (Dangerous Masquerade Collection, #3)
  • A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)
  • Falling Stars (Rakes, #2)
  • Siren Song (Siren Song, #1)
  • Spectre of the Sword (de Lohr Dynasty, #4)
  • Lakota Surrender (Lakota #1)
Anne Stuart is a grandmaster of the genre, winner of Romance Writers of America's prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award, survivor of more than thirty-five years in the romance business, and still just keeps getting better.

Her first novel was Barrett's Hill, a gothic romance published by Ballantine in 1974 when Anne had just turned 25. Since then she's written more gothics, regencies, romantic sus
More about Anne Stuart

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Mariana
    $16.99 $2.99
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heartbreakers (The Heartbreakers Chronicles, #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel
    $11.74 $1.99
  • By Your Side
    $9.99 $1.99
“He couldn’t have known. The moonlight wasn’t enough to illuminate the room, and the tears that spilled silently down her cheeks didn’t touch him. But suddenly the kiss softened, the hands gentled on her, the lips coaxed and teased and healed. And without any more thought she was kissing him back, reaching for him with her mouth while her hands were held back, seeking him out with her tongue, calling him to her in the only way she could.” 1 likes