Start by marking “The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon

The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon

Impossible world. Impossible dragon. Impossible adventure.

Lost with her ship and crew in an unfamiliar land, Min’s first command could be her last.

Nothing here behaves the way it should:

The magic that powers her skyship has been drained, rendering it immobile.

The sky is an endless twilight, lit by the luminous fish that swim in it.

Off starboard, there’s also the country-s
Published (first published September 10th 2019)

Start your review of The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon
Benedict Patrick
Dec 27, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
As with previous books, I'll not be leaving a review of my own novel here, but I'll use this space for updates regarding the progress of my next novel.

December 2018: One third of the way through the initial draft.

31.01 Update - First draft complete! As with all my initial runs at a story, this needs HEAVY reworking, but still chuffed at hitting this milestone. The cover work is not due to begin until the summer, so plenty of time to give this story the love it needs...

31.03 Update - Second draft
Adam
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When someone is infected with the travel bug, it seeps into their pores at an early age and lasts throughout their lifetime. Speaking from experience, I have always craved adventure; there is nothing quite like the thrill of traveling with no set itinerary and seeing where the wind takes you. I believe it was the Dalai Lama, or perhaps Brandon Sanderson, who said “journey before destination.” It matters less where you go than how you get there.

I haven’t read much portal fantasy, but I’m familiar
Hiu Gregg
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Maybe a 4.5, but I'm rounding up. Fun story with an incredibly interesting world. Benedict Patrick is one of the best worldbuilders out there. Full review to come.
kartik narayanan
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon is another excellent book from Benedick Patrick albeit a little less dark (heh) than Yarnsworld.

It has memorable characters and while the plot is a bit predictable, the story is still as entertaining as ever. The stand-out feature, a Benedick Patrick strength, is the great world building. I don't want to spoil this for you too much but the world of the Darkstar Dragon has a lot of unique aspects to it which will make you end up wanting more. I was so enthralled
Laura Hughes
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An engaging read filled with action, adventure, and perhaps the most unique fantasy setting I've ever seen. Also, turtlemoths. <3 ...more
Lynn K : Grimmedian
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
What an amazing world! Just when you think you have heard of everything, a book like this comes along and opens your eyes to a dimension that makes no sense. Terrifying and exhilarating all at once.

The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon will take your perceptions and turn them inside out. Like the Darkstar dimension bends reality, everything that’s impossible is possible there. A truly enjoyable exploration of character and human perseverance stirred with a huge dose of magic.

Benedict Patrick’s ima
Adah Udechukwu
Aug 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon is an interesting read.
Lukasz
Sep 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-published
I'm a huge fan of Yarnsworld novels. I've given five-star ratings to three of them. It won't come as a surprise that I was stoked to receive an early ARC of The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon. It went straight to the top of my TBR list.

The cover looks brilliant and confirms that Jenny Zamanek is a genius. The Darkstar dimension in which the story happens confirms that Benedict Patrick has a fertile and rich imagination. I loved world-building and imagery.

Unfortunately, and I'm sorry to say this,
Kristen
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full review is here, on my blog!~

This is the story of Min, who is currently in command of the skyship Melodious Narwhal. One day, she and her crew find themselves very mysteriously in another world. A world where the magic that powers their skyship has been drained, and the Narwhal crashes into the ocean of glowing fish.

This world is known as the Darkstar Dimension, named thus by the one person they meet, an old man named Brightest who lives in a mud hut on the back of his giant turtle-like frie
BriarGrey
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read
While perhaps not as engaging as the Yarnsworld books I have read, The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon is still very interesting, with a bizarre 'bubble world' of water and interdimensional rifts. I enjoyed seeing how our main character, Min, would overcome the conflicts presented to her. There is stuff left out, stuff that hints at a deeper world and bigger story to tell, but it felt intentionally left out, as an artistic choice (versus having it feel like a flaw), and it definitely made me want ...more
Jon Adams
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First, thanks to the author for providing an ARC. Second, I'll definitely be buying this book when it's released.

I loved everything about this book and blazed through it in a day. I'm a bit in awe of the author's imagination and can't wait to explore more of the world(s).

This can be read as a standalone, but he left just enough threads (and worlds) hanging to make you want to come back. I can't wait for book two.
Filip
Self-Published
Genre: Portal Fantasy, Adventure, Exploration
Format: e-book
Review Copy, provided by the author.
Release Date: October 7, 2019

Disclaimer: I consider Benedict a friend and I’m a part of his uber-secret Facebook group, in which we talk about books and occasionally get a piece of artwork before the rest of the world. Neither that, nor getting an e-ARC affects this review – I’m mean to my friends all the time!

Benedict Patrick takes a sojourn away from the folklore-infested Yarnsworld
Anna K. Scott
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've been meaning to read Patrick's work for some time, the Yarnsworld series, but by chance was offered an ARC copy of his new fantasy novel.

Disclaimer: I pretty much love anything with a focus on ships, flying ships to be precise.

'It was an excruciating sensation, being pulled back together. She could not fully remember being taken apart in the first place'. Well, you've got my attention.

Min, officer of the ship Melodious Narwhal (and honestly what a great name for a ship), wakes up screaming
Liam
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really wish I could dive right into the story, but I'll keep it spoiler-free! I was given an ARC in exchange for an honest review, and I can honestly say I loved every minute.

I thought when I started this story and met these new and intriguing characters that I would have some idea of what their dynamic would be, but I was wrong and in a really pleasant way! Just when you think you've realised what someone is like, they do a complete coin flip in the drop of a hat. There were so many slight t
Kathryn
I received an ARC of this book and am offering my honest review.

This is a departure from Benedict Patrick's prior work in the Yarnsworld universe. This novel is less directly drawn from the tradition of fairytales and is a separate secondary world fantasy of its own. This is the first book set in the newly introduced Darkstar Dimension - an oddly purple tinted world with a watery lack of a horizon and dangers and mysteries all of its own to be explored.

Min, the newly minted First Officer (not Ca
Nicole Cairney
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book.

Action packed from the first page. Fast paced and a fun read with a wonderful dose of unreality. Loved this book.
David Baird
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon is the newest offering from Benedict Patrick. I’ve been a fan of the author for a while after being sucked into his work with his rather unique imagination. The style of writing always keeps me engaged and its impossible to put his books down.

In the latest offering we are following Min.. Captain of the Melodious Narwhal.. well I say Captain but she’s not really and the rest of the crew have no issues with letting their commanding officer know what they think of
Aadria
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imaginative and adventurous; a seriously good read

The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon is the first book to take place in the new Darkstar world. We follow the crew of a skyship commanded by Min, on her first assignment out of the Academy, when the ship is torn into a foreign and entirely unbelievable reality. The ship, damaged from its rough introduction to this new world, is now adrift on this foreign sea, except the sea seems to surround them entirely, as if they were inside a giant bubble. This
June
Thank you to the author for providing this unsolicited ebook arc through r/fantasy reddit. This review is my honest opinion.

Disclaimers aside, this is my first time reading any work of Benedict Patrick. He is better known for his Yarnsworld novella series. In this new series we are transported into the portal world of Darkstar Dimension or should it be multidimensional world. This is just the start of the genre mashup which occurs in this book. There is definitely adventure involved. In this in
Lisa Greiner Maughan
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this as an arc
This book took me a bit to get into but once I did I really enjoyed it. The world Benedict takes us to is amazing and intriguing . He is an excellent storyteller and It's easy to become part of the story he is writing about whether it be the characters, the dimensions, the adventure, the dangers. Hold on and have a nice flight.
Maša
Mar 22, 2020 rated it liked it
The ship finds itself in a new world. Inexperienced captain has to remain in control, while facing uncertainty, and strife.

This was a quick, action-based read. The world(s) was interesting, if unexplored. The characters were pretty one-dimensional, a pity, so I didn't really connect to the story.

[Disclaimer: I rate self-pub books higher, so real rating is around 2 stars]
Peter
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC version of this book from the author, in a word this is awesome! This is one awesome book that you do not want to miss! A full review will be on my blog soon!
Alex
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, surreal adventure!

The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon is a hard book to explain but my initial review is this: It's fun, it's an adventure and a good piece of escapism in a story that was successful in taking me away to a new world (worlds, actually) - one that I enjoyed.

Full review will be coming on my blog soon!
SpellsAndSpaceships.home.blog
Blake Johnson
Spoof of Discworld

Imagine a purple world with a purple sun and fish stars (not star fish) in the sky, the inhabitants riding on the back of a giant turtlemoth, and draped across this dimension is portals to countless other dimensions, and, did I fail to mention? The Darkstar Dragon is draped across the sky like a sublime batholith. The “Melodious Narwhal” is a sky ship which navigates through dimensions, and they find themself in the wrong one, or is it possibly the right one? The Darkstar Drago
Lauren
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Note: I received a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Benedict Patrick's latest book takes us into the Darkstar Dimension, a fantastically weird and fascinating place filled with portals to other worlds. It's hard to describe the setting without giving too much away, but it is fair to say that it will keep you guessing throughout.

The book follows Min, First Officer of the skyship the Melodious Narwhal, as she and her crew find themselves stranded in the Darkstar Dimension. Ju
Johnny DePaola
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There is something truly special about reading a book that blows your expectations out of the water. Benedict Patrick’s dark and descriptive Yarnsworld novels are among some of my favorite books, but Darkstar Dragon has surpassed even those.

From the very first lines, when the crew of the Melodious Narwhale find themselves in a new and strange world with no memory of how they got there, I was hooked.

The world that they find themselves stranded in is like nothing I’ve ever seen. As fast as the s
E.Y.E.-D
Sep 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Yet another fantastic world created by Mr. Patrick, not that I would expect anything less from the man that brought us Yarnsworld.

This story takes place in the Darkstar Dimension and it is an incredibly interesting place. This dimension sucks people and objects in seemingly at random. This is how Min and her crew along with the ship the Melodious Narwhal end up there. They wake up with no memory of how they got there. Panic and chaos ensues among the ships crew.

During their stay in the dimensi
A.M
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well this was a pleasant surprise.

Benedict Patrick has been on my list of authors to read due to the high praise for his Yarnsworld series, but somehow I have never gotten around to starting those books. Luckily, I received an offer for an ARC for this book from the author via TBRindr.

Ships and tales about their voyages, whether fact or fiction, always interest me. HMS Victory and the USS Enterprise, both hold my interest. So when I realised some pages into the book that this was that type of
David Stewart
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Opening Thoughts: I can not start a review of this book without mentioning the cover because it is one of the best I've seen on any piece of literature. It is a work of art, but also immensely evocative of what the book is about - right down to the size of the dragon and the circular nature of the journey of the ship. It might be the perfect cover. I wish the book matched up, and it is unfortunate to say this, but the best thing about The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon is what's on the front.

Set
Rachelckelly
Mar 27, 2020 rated it liked it
I will start by saying that I truly enjoyed this book and will definitely recommend it to other specific readers.

I almost never read self-published work as it’s so rarely well edited and I tend to be turned off by this. ‘The Flight of the Darkstar Dragon’ was an exception on *most* levels, and I’ll add the author’s Yarnsworld series to my cue to read in the future.

While I respect how incredibly difficult it is to travel the road to traditional publishing, I couldn’t help but wonder why Patrick

• The Shadow Saint (The Black Iron Legacy, #2)
  • Fortune's Fool (Eterean Empire #1)
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • Never Die
  • Smoke and Stone (City of Sacrifice, #1)
  • Drowned Country (The Greenhollow Duology, #2)
  • Sin Eater (Iconoclasts, #2)
  • The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
  • The Wolf of Oren-Yaro (Chronicles of the Bitch Queen, #1)
  • Of Honey and Wildfires (Songs of Sefate, #1)
  • Along the Razor's Edge (The War Eternal, #1)
  • We Ride the Storm (The Reborn Empire, #1)
  • God of Gnomes (God Core, #1)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • The Unspoken Name (The Serpent Gates, #1)
  • The Lost War (Eidyn #1)
  • Mid-Lich Crisis
  • Ash and Bones (City of Sacrifice, #2)
Benedict Patrick is from a small town in Northern Ireland called Banbridge, but has been living and working in Scotland since he moved there at the age of eighteen. Tragically, that was quite a while ago.

He has been writing for most of his life, and has been reading for pretty much all of it (with help from mum and dad at the beginning). Benedict's life changed when a substitute primary school tea

News & Interviews