Start by marking “Murder at Benbury Brook: An absolutely gripping English cozy mystery (A Melissa Craig Mystery Book 9)” as Want to Read:

Murder at Benbury Brook: An absolutely gripping English cozy mystery

(Melissa Craig #9)

A babbling brook runs alongside a wooded glade, surrounded by autumn light and birdsong. But next to the stream a young woman lies dead, her once bright blonde hair now limp and lifeless…

Melissa Craig has settled into a new job in the charming Cotswolds village of Upper Benbury. She is teaching French to several of the local teenagers, which gives her a fascinating insig
Expected publication: February 25th 2019 by Bookouture (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Murder at Benbury Brook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at Benbury Brook

Helga
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
An engaging and fast-paced mystery!

The body of a teenager is found near a stream in the woods. Did she slip, fell in the water and drowned? If it was an accident then who pulled the body out of the water? What was the girl doing in the woods and who was she running from?
When Melissa Craig finds out that her new neighbor, whom she believes to be innocent, is implicated because of his finding the body and his presence at the time of the incident, she is determined to find out what exactly happened
Mystica
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Melissa Craig is a crime writer. She has now decided to give her fictitious detective a retirement and go into the world of literary fiction. Her nose however leads her elsewhere. Mystery and murder seems to follow her even in this idyllic village she now calls home.

Melissa is missing her friend Irish who lived next door to her. The house has stood empty but at last there seems to be a tenant - a quiet man who is the teacher in the local school. Melissa hopes the new neighbour will prove to be a
Kelly-Jo Sweeney
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great book from Betty Rowlands in the Melissa Craig series. I did wonder how she would fare now that Iris, her next door neighbour and close friend had left for France. The arrival of a new neighbour to live, at least for the time being in Iris's cottage soon throws Mel into the midst of another mystery and it isn't long before she finds herself involved in a little sleuthing.

With the changes that happened in the last book, I knew that we were likely to be without a few of the supportin
Anna
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you NetGalley and Bookouture for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

It was an absolute treat to spend time with Melissa Craig once again in Upper Benbury. Much has changed in her life since we last saw her. Her best friend Iris has married and moved to the South of France. Her boyfriend Ken Harris is in America working as a PI.

In addition to writing books Melissa is now tutoring one of the local teenagers in French. She learns a lot from what she learns from her.

Iris h
Tracy Wood
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The nineth book in this series is the first without two of the main protagonists but still works on all levels. The stock characters visible in any village tale are well written and their various foibles lovingly created to make you smile, cheer or rant in equal measure.

There is a new neighbour for Melissa, a teacher who has a new job to go to at the end of the summer holidays. Never one to hide away, Mel is friendly in the face of his reluctance and soon becomes his main ally as it seems his w
Fiona Wilson
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads, netgalley
This is the 9th book in the Melissa Craig series and for me it seems to have a different feel to it. I think it is down to the end of the story as it definitely turns out to be a somewhat unique outcome. Don’t get me wrong, I loved the story regardless. At its core it still has a well written mystery running throughout, and Melissa once again finds herself becoming involved in things far more than she means to.

Melissa is a brilliant character. Without even trying she is drawn into matters in her
Marianne
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am pleased to see the series continues to evolve. Ex-boyfriend Ken Harris is in NYC being a PI, next door neighbor Iris Ash is married and living in the South of France. Graham Shipley, a fortyish teacher has moved into the cottage next door. Apparently he has suffered some type of a break down and is on medication for his nerves. Mel makes a few friendly overtures, but they are not received well.
This has been the darkest of the series, a teenager dies, and Graham is suspected as the murderer
Anna Fox
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked Mel's new neighbor and once again a mystery I wasn't able to figure out. The characters are interesting and engaging. I like the setting as well. Ms. Rolands has added a few new characters into the mix.

I thank the publisher and NetGalley for my eARC in exchange for my honest review. - This is a very good series and I highly recommend it.
MSCOZY
Feb 01, 2013
Juan de Basagoiti
Sep 18, 2018
Karolina
rated it did not like it
May 14, 2012
Rosemary F. Steele
Sep 28, 2018
Betty Rowlands is an member of the Crime Writers' Association and appears on panels at writers' conferences.

Melissa Craig (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Little Gentle Sleuthing (Melissa Craig, #1)
  • Finishing Touch (Melissa Craig, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Melissa Craig, #3)
  • Exhaustive Enquiries (Melissa Craig, #4)
  • Malice Poetic (Melissa Craig, #5)
  • Smiling at Death (Melissa Craig, #6)
  • Deadly Legacy
  • The Cherry Pickers
  • The Fourth Suspect
  • No Laughing Matter (Melissa Craig, #11)