Start by marking “The Lock (Eddie Collins, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
The Lock (Eddie Collins, #4.5)

The Lock

(Eddie Collins #4.5)

I'm Eddie Collins, a CSI. This is the story of how I saw a dead man die.

I had time to kill, so I went to investigate.

Turns out I wasn't the only one with killing on his mind.

If you like fast-paced crime thrillers with a forensic slant, raw

ebook, 1, 122 pages
Published January 21st 2019 by The Ink Foundry

To ask other readers questions about The Lock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lock

Berit☀️✨
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
An old house... a dead body... a key... a cellar... A spine tingling thriller with a horror vibe!

What a crazy, gritty, dark story this was... certain to make you fear the things that go bump in the night.... my friend Kenzie told me I’d needed to keep the lights on for this book, and she was SO right! Eddie Collins has sure gotten himself in one frightening pickle in this book!

This is a novella in the Eddie Collins CSI series, but it can absolutely be read as a standalone... this book leaned a
Sue
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Lock by Andrew Barrett is a standalone crime thriller novella that packs a punch. This story is vivid in its imagery and detail with well-developed characters and plot lines.

“This is the story of how I saw a dead man die.”

The story begins with the day in the life of a CSI, Eddie Collins, while he was completing the investigation of a sudden death in an old house, when he heard a noise from the cellar. He had time so he went to investigate. But he wasn't the only one with killing on his mind
Kathi Defranc
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh Eddie Collins,CSI..You are at it Again!! A story that grabs your attention with the opening scene as Eddie is forced to work outside in bad weather, but gets a call for a 'sudden death/natural' in an old house. He quickly chooses this scene and the tension begins..An old man is found lying on his bedroom floor,noting nothing suspicious in the scene, Eddie sees a key grasped in the man's hand. He gets it free, then looking around the murky halls and many rooms of the building, decides to find ...more
Linda Strong
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
If you are not familiar with the Eddie Collins series, you're in for quite a treat with this novella. Eddie Collins is what's known as a CSI (Crime Scene Investigator). It is his job to identify, collect, and document the physical evidence of the crime.

Called to investigate the death of an elderly gentleman, Eddie finds a key wrapped in the old man's fist. Naturally Eddie wants to know what that key fits. So going above and beyond, he starts searching the house for a particular lock.

When he star
Susan Angela Wallace
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The lock by Andrew Barrett.
This is the story of how I saw a dead man die.
I'm Eddie Collins, a CSI. I was finishing up at a sudden death in an old house, waiting for the body snatchers to arrive, when I heard a noise from the cellar.
I had time to kill, so I went to investigate.
Turns out I wasn't the only one with killing on his mind.
This was a fantastic read. So creepy and eerie. Loved it. 5*.
Anna Maria
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a story! I must say this author always surprises me. This short story is well written and it is gripping, it keeps you "Locked on the pages"!! While I was reading the other day, my daughter told me: "That must be a very gripping book because you haven't said a word for an hour or more". Well she was certainly right.
I recommend you to read it and follow this author, that is so clever at keeping the attention of the reader on the book!!
The Cats Mother
If you go down to the cellar today, you’re sure of a big surprise...🎶

This is a short novella featuring our favourite CSI, grumpy, sarky but eagle-eyed Eddie Collins. As with the other two (The Note and The Lift) they can be read anywhere in the series without spoiling the full-length books, or as a taster even if you have not tried this author before, although this one is more horror than thriller so don’t let it put you off the series (which is fabulous) if that’s not your genre.

Called to the s
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Having read more than a few of this authors books, he still never fails to shock and surprise me and this little gem of a novella was no different.

Eddie is a love him or hate him type of guy. His mouth is like a sewer and if you are easily offended by swearing, then this may not be the book for you. For me though, this is who Eddie is. There are no airs and graces, what you see is what you get. There is a certain amount of humour in this book which comes directly from Eddie and it really makes f
Kath
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit to being a big fan of this author, especially with regard to all things Eddie Collins. He ticks all the boxes for everything I need for a good read but the icing on the already delicious cake he serves up has to be the wit and humour that is peppered throughout the tightly plotted narrative.
In this book Eddie's goose is nearly cooked when his curiosity gets the better of him at the scene of a sudden death when, well, let's just say that the cellar gives up more than he bargained
Dee Groocock
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Lock is the latest in the CSI Eddie Collins series. A novella which just gives you the fix you need. Not everything is as it seems in the house Eddie is called to. Eddie is his normal people hating, sarcastic self, which is what makes these books so good, in my opinion. I went from my heart feeling like it was going to come out of my chest due to the tense circumstances, to laughing very loudly at Eddies inappropriate wit. This has a lot packed into it for a novella and I would highly recomm ...more
peggy
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG THIS BOOK IS AMAZING WOW WOW WOW
First off it is a short read. I really did not want this book to end.
SCI Eddie Collins is called to an unexpected death, an old man is found dead on his bedroom floor. Unfortunately nothing is as it seems.
I did not want this book to end, it is scary, atmospheric and full of tension and shocked as I had no idea. This author is so clever at getting the reader to flip the pages faster and faster because you just have to know.
Highly recommended and a must read.
Jessica
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All my reviews can be found at: http://jessicasreadingroom.com
~~~~
I previously read The Note which also features Eddie Collins. Barrett himself is a CSI and you can see that he takes what he knows from experience and puts them into his stories. And this novella is superb! It is creepy, suspenseful, and you have absolutely no idea how it is going to end! You know what they say about ‘curiosity killed the cat’…. Will curiosity be the end of Eddie Collins, CSI?

This novella makes me now think twice
Judith Baxter
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new book by Andrew Barrett. From my earlier posts, you may remember Andrew’s protagonist is Eddie Collins, a CSI who’s a bit of a loner and. may I say, a bit of a moaner?

Eddie is at a scene of a suspected abduction of a 15-year-old schoolboy when he is called to investigate a sudden death. Grumbling at being disturbed, Eddie goes to the house of an elderly gentleman, where he finds what appears to be a natural death. Albert Crabtree apparently was well named – he was a crabby old guy.

A twin br
Dawn
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good grief Andy Barrett, you know how to snatch the breath from a reader's chest and I don't suppose it helped much with the blood pressure! I was really beginning to wonder how on earth Eddie was going to sort this situation out.

You do realise that he is going to be even more grumpy and arrogant than ever now don't you?

I love Eddie's mental chunterings and sometimes weird, thought processes, i.e. "His ribs stuck out like someone had laid a white sheet over a toast rack".

Even when things seem
Todd Simpson
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sensational story, I loved it. It’s not very often that I can say that a book has me on the edge of my seat, but this one definitely did. I’ve really enjoyed everyone of Andrew Barrett’s stories, and this one is no exception. The characters are great, and the plots are always captivating and clever. You can’t help but like Eddie Collins, he’s far from perfect and he gets himself into all sorts of situations.
CSI Eddie Collins can’t believe he’s been called out to the death of an old man who had
Kath Middleton
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is another Eddie Collins short story though it’s actually novella length, so it’s long enough to get your teeth into. It begins as a first person narrative from Eddie himself but soon we hear the story of other characters – and it’s not at all what I was expecting. The writing, as always, is crisp, immediate and loaded with sarcasm, yet Eddie finds himself in the kind of trouble he can’t joke his way out of. I had my heart in my mouth there for a few pages. Eddie Collins fans will love this ...more
Emma
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
I received an ARC of this book in return for an honest review. This novella sucks you right in from the first page. The tension is palpable throughout the book and there is an absolutely cracking twist part way through. I loved this book and read it in one sitting. Barrett is the master of tension with laugh out loud moments interspersed throughout in a way that is totally appropriate within the story. Eddie Collins is an asshole and is so much more believable as a character for being an asshole ...more
Paul Dubbelman
Shelves: 2018, free, kindle
Andrew Barrett is one of the most consistent authors I know. Every book is rich in detail with well crafted characters and plot lines. This latest novella is no exception. I received a copy through the author's ARC scheme but this no way detracts or influences my review of a book from one of my alltime favourite authors.

Andrew builds the suspense well, to the point where I had to remind myself to breathe, and uses clever methods to tell this story from different viewpoints to tell the full stor
A.J.
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“The Lock” is a fast read that “grabs” you and doesn’t let go. I love how the tension escalates, from a ho-hum callout for a “sudden death by natural causes” to an active serial killer who knows the CSI (Eddie) has figured him out, with more surprise twists.

This story starts out as a totally realistic “day in the life of a CSI,” then, following Eddie as he searches for the source of a mysterious noise, everything changes!

If you are already a fan of Andrew Barrett, you will definitely want to rea
MISS.C.L.GUY
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow

The best thing about this book is that we are reunited with Eddie Collins. The author, Andrew Barrett, provides us with the typical ( if you are familiar with Eddie Collins)dry humour in the face of such horror beautifully combined with his meticulous forensic mind. The worst thing about this book is that it is a novella and was all over too soon!! Fast paced, clever twists to keep you on the edge of your seat to the last page! I cannot wait for the next instalment of Eddie Colin’s CSI!
Bev
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-read, own-it
Eddie is called to a 'sudden death' of an 80ish year old gentleman. Some of the things about the gentleman doesn't sit well with Eddie. While he is waiting for the 'body wagon' to pick him up, he goes snooping around with Officer John Scattergood. Together, they get into things much deeper and sinnister than anyone imaged. Problem is, things aren't what they seem. Can they get out alive? Someone is betting against them....and he has an excellent record of winning! I voluntarily reviewed a free A ...more
Diamondbabe
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's short but boy does it grip you. I'm not a big fan of novellas but this one really had me gripped from the start. You really feel as if your in the house with Eddie, the scene setting & descriptions pull you in & spark the imagination. A few heart stopping moments & then a twist or two & you have a fantastic short read. Roll on the next full length book.
Karen greer
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh boy! Andrew Barrett has done it again. I love this series and Eddie Collins. This story really grabbed me from the first page. This was a murder mystery with a killer twist or two or three. As I’m reading I’m hoping that Eddie Collins is jus having a really, really bad nightmare. But it’s not. Try to stop reading....you can’t! I won’t give anything away. You really have to experience this yourself. Wow!
peggy
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW AMAZING FANTASTIC

Okay first off this is a quickread and what a READ it was.
SCI Eddie Collins is called to an unexpected death
Marija
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This short but packed novella kept me on the edge of my seat...
I was enjoying reading this complex and a bit horror story that even it is darkish it simply force you to read more...I was just sad that it ended very fast and I can't wait to read the next Eddie Collins book
Richard
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone.
Another CSI Collins Novel. Fine, fine reading. Outstanding. I received an ARC copy of the book prior to printing AND purchased a copy. That certainly tells you of what I think of The Luck and Andrew Barrett.. Andrew Barrett is a master of his game! Five stars do not do justice to this one. This is one book you'll read at one sitting. I've read all of his Eddie Collins thrillers and just when you think this cant be beat, Author Barrett does it again only better. CSI Eddie Colliins is not your usu ...more
David Gilchrist
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Eddie Collins at his very best, certainly fast paced not sure which way the plot was heading. Great to read a new Eddie book.
Amanda
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have been a fan of the Eddie Collins series for a little while now. I have read a couple of the books but I also have another couple on my ever increasing ‘TBR’ (to be read) mountain. I had forgotten just how bloody good the series is and I can guarantee that the unread books will certainly be read before too much longer. I absolutely, totally and utterly loved reading ‘The Lock’ even if it did creep me out a bit but more about that in a bit.
What can you say about CSI Eddie Collins? For a star
Susan Corcoran
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank the author and blog tour organiser for the ARC in return for an honest review.

What can I say about this auctioned packed, perfectly formed Novella? Just that it is exciting and packed with tension, which rolls through the story like a breaking wave on the beach. It takes great skill to write a novella, to keep the pace and story exciting enough, yet perfectly paced for this shorter book form, but the author does it with great skill.

So why did I like it so much? For me, it w
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hi everyone,

My name is Andrew Barrett and I live and work in West Yorkshire.

My work focuses on the world of Scenes of Crime Officers (SOCOs or CSIs). I try to offer a unique insight into this often dark landscape; after all, I've been doing it as a career for over twenty years.

Thanks for looking,

Andy

Eddie Collins (4 books)
  • The Third Rule (Eddie Collins #1)
  • Black by Rose (Eddie Collins, #2)
  • Sword of Damocles (Eddie Collins, #3)
  • Ledston Luck (Eddie Collins #4)