Start by marking “The King's Name (Sulien, #2)” as Want to Read:
The King's Name (Sulien, #2)

The King's Name (Tir Tanagiri #2)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  351 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
The warrior Sulien ap Gwien and her lord King Urdo have finally united the land of Tir Tanagiri into a kingdom ruled by justice under a single code of law. But where many see a hopeful future for the land, others believe they sense the seeds of a new tyranny. Soon Tir Tanagiri faces the blight of civil war, and Sulien ap Gwien must take up arms against former comrades and ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 332 pages
Published November 18th 2002 by Tor Fantasy (first published December 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The King's Name, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The King's Name

Nikki
The King's Name is a direct sequel to The King's Peace. It follows some forms of the Arthurian legend fairly closely, in terms of Mordred, Arthur and Guinevere, anyway, but of course Sulien is something entirely new. It's still fairly predictable to anyone who knows the Arthurian canon quite well -- in the way that Arthurian stories are: heartbreaking in their inevitability.

Everything comes together very well: I believe in the characters' motivations and their ends. I loved the confusion between
Wealhtheow
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, historical
A fantastic sequel to The King's Peace. In my eyes, these two books are the first to rehabilitate King Arthur and his knights. The Victorians (I spit on their graves) twisted Arthurian myth into a high-strung, overwrought, completely-disconnnected-from-reality farce. Walton brings the myth back to earth. The first book follows Sulien as she fights along side the High King Urdo. Years of battles, strategic marriages, and negotiation later, the island is united under his rule and his Peace. The d ...more
Amy Rountree
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite things about these books are the bits of invented historical texts at the beginning of each chapter. I had fun thinking about the author in this world that they were parallel to. Sulien, however, really is one of a kind and I'm glad I could travel with her.
Erin
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In The King's Name, the rule of law established in The King's Peace is threatened by civil war. The kings of Tir Tanagiri have become comfortable in the peace, and are starting to get cranky about having to report to a High King. Morthu, son of the sorceress Sulien killed in the first book, is whispering in everyone's ear, dredging up resentment towards King Urdo and twisting minds with his own sorcery. Before Sulien knows what's going on, her sister tries to poison her and suddenly no one can b ...more
Viridian5
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
In The King’s Peace, warrior Sulien ap Gwien and her lord King Urdo have finally united the land of Tir Tanagiri into a kingdom ruled by justice under a single code of law. Many years of peace and prosperity followed, but now in The King’s Name some are saying that King Urdo is a tyrant riding roughshod over the authority of the other leaders of the land and must be put down. Tir Tanagiri faces the blight of civil war, and Sulien ap Gwien must face betrayals she never expected and take up arms a ...more
Julia
I liked this a lot more than The King's Peace. Since I loved Among Others, Farthing and others in the series, Tooth and Claw, My Real Childrenand What Makes This Book So Great, I was surprised that I didn’t like The King's Peace.

Since the earlier book takes place immediately before this one, I knew what I was in for. I like King Arthur retellings, especially when I know what I’m reading. Sulien, the main character here, is a female Lancelot. The queen thinks she is sleeping with the king, when s
Susan
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hardback, julie-bell, 2002
Like Paula Volsky's books (especially Illusion ) this is a fantasy take, in another world, of historical events. Kinda :-)

The first book in this trilogy, The King's Peace, had a beautiful Julie Bell cover. This book (there's a kinda-prequel, too) has a cover by Julie Bell, but IMHO it's probably the worst painting of hers I've seen.

Jo Walton is the nicest lady, too... I met her at the World Fantasy Convention in Mesa couple years ago and she and I sat down and had a nice long chat.

Every once
John
Feb 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I am a sucker for all things Arthurian, and this is a relatively distant relative to such things; dealing as it does with a High King seeking national unity and peace. It has a few firm clues as to the link, a Mordred like character (not related to Urdo, the king); throwing his sword into the lake after his death; the mobile cavalry based army; but the story is different. This is book two of Jo Walton's debut work and my only real criticism is that I think she tries to hard to show us how she ca ...more
Eowyn
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it took me awhile to get into this sequel to "the king's peace," probably because of the inevitability of the ending (as w/all king arthur stories). but by the end i was very moved and found the last battle and aftermath very exciting. in fact, the battle scenes are extremely well done and they could easily have been the parts i skimmed (not being a huge war/battle fan). it is a little hard to keep track of all the characters but in the end, it kind of doesn't matter. the main ones are distinct ...more
Millerbug
Mar 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one better than the first one, although it did tend to drag in a place or two. There wasn't as many characters introduced this time. But she still failed to build on a few of the more interesting characters. She killed off some really good ones as well. All and all it was a good story. Alot more magic in this one, great battles (she really did her research on those). If your looking for any type of love story, you'll be dissappointed. There are a few mentioned but none are elabora ...more
Kalyn
I actually liked this book better than The King's Peace. There were still a lot of characters to keep track of, but it was a little easier since we had been introduced to them before and several are killed off throughout the book (it is a civil war after all). The action is more war-oriented and less magic-oriented in this book though the magic is still very present. It's not as Arthurian as the first book and I think that helps the story.
Anthony Faber
Sequel to "The King's Peace". If you liked that, you'll like this. I do recommend reading "Peace" first, though. She puts a fictional foreward in this book that I don't get the point of (this device can work well. See Norman Spinrad's "The Iron Dream", where the foreward and afterward are integral and vital parts of the work) and don't appear in either "Peace" or the prequel "The Prize in the Game".
Carole
Aug 07, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Pretty good adventure fantasy but would have been better if a glossary, maps, and family trees were included. Because of this, and the ways the names were formed/ similarities in names it was difficult to follow even though the main characters were interesting and fairly fleshed-out for one of this genre.
(same comments as I had for the first book, The King's Peace.)
Elizabeth
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot faster paced than The King's Peace, I really liked it. The book mostly takes place in only a few months which definitely helps the pace. And the supernatural elements were handled quite deftly. Even if you don't like historical novels, the character of Sulien and her struggle for the cause of peace is compelling and worth the time.
Jody
Jun 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very glad I read this pair of novels. While the strategy could be slow going, the gods and the mystery of this alternate world were heartbreakingly beautiful, subtle, dense, delicious. Worth the work.
Ben
Mar 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
The follow-up to The King's Peace, this book does a decent job of maintaining the almost-historical tone and Arthurian themes. It's not quite as strong a narrative as its predecessor, but all in all a good way to finish the story.
Jonathon Lapak
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book and its prequel (The King's Peace) are my favorite take on an Arthurian setting that I've read in a long time. The first-person narrative in a setting that is so recognizable as a mix of history and myth - but a separate history and a separate myth than our own - is enthralling.
Glee
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a sequel to The King's Peace, which I loved. I spent a lot of time on The King's Peace learning name places etc in this alternative world telling of the King Arthur legend. More of the same. Again, if you loved Braveheart and gore doesn't bother you much, you might like this book...
Margo R
I cried at the end. I love Sulien, and I love Walton's approach to alt-myths and alt-history and this was so so so good.
Elaine
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book, but didn't find it quite as good start to finish as The King's Peace, although the last few chapters were very moving. Loved Sulien's concept of 'darkness' opposed to that of Morthu; in this mortal world, light needs the contrast to be beautiful.
Kendra
Starts up 5 years after The King's Peace with a civil war. I'd guess it takes place within a month's time, start to finish. Fast and furious, nowhere near as jerky as the first book. Definitely enjoyed this one, even with the deaths of well-known characters.
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, arthurian
These books are a novel retelling of Arthur, with a great feminist bent, but I don't feel compelled to read the third one.
Rai
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Such a good book, but I did have a hard time following the characters this around... it's my own fault though for skimming through things
Lynnie Dockins
Very good series. I am very choosy with series books and I loved this. Especially because it had the influence of God in each book with Good over coming evil in the end.
Ron
Sep 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This almost qualifies as historical fiction, rather than the usual fantasy of Arthur.
~Anita~
Jun 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I loved book one. This only made sad.
Jasmine
Again, I love this book to death. Everything is wonderful. It will be a return-to always for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Sunbird (The Lion Hunters, #3)
  • For Camelot's Honor (The Paths to Camelot, #2)
  • Celtika (The Merlin Codex, #1)
  • Warrior of the West (King Arthur, #2)
  • In Winter's Shadow
  • Cloudbearer's Shadow (Sword in Exile, #1)
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • The White Mists of Power
  • Fires of the Faithful (Eliana's Song, #1)
  • The King of Dreams (Lord Prestimion, #3)
  • Limit of Vision
  • Porius
  • The Oak Above the Kings (The Tales of Arthur, #2)
  • The Road to Camlann. The Death of King Arthur
  • Afterburn (Bio Rescue, #2)
  • Storm Runner (Wolfwalker, #3)
Jo Walton writes science fiction and fantasy novels and reads a lot and eats great food. It worries her slightly that this is so exactly what she always wanted to do when she grew up. She comes from Wales, but lives in Montreal.
More about Jo Walton...

Tir Tanagiri (3 books)
  • The King's Peace (Tir Tanagiri, #1)
  • The Prize in the Game (Tir Tanagiri #3)