Start by marking “Monash and Chauvel: How Australia's two greatest generals changed the course of world history” as Want to Read:

Monash and Chauvel is a gripping narrative history that follows the extraordinary campaigns of the two most outstanding battlefield commanders of the First World War across all the Allied armies: John Monash and Harry Chauvel.

John Monash commanded the Australian forces on the Western Front at the most critical time of the war, 1918. With his German Jewish heritage, Monash
Published 2017

To ask other readers questions about Monash and Chauvel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monash and Chauvel

Paul
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like those smart kids that were in every classroom.

You know when you were at school, there were those kids that didn't seem to study, breezed through every exam and got straight A's...they appeared to have an innate understanding of every subject. They were just brilliant, smart kids. Well John Monash (the prime focus of my reading of this book) was one of those.

He started his career as a barrister and won 99.9% of his cases. He then studied engineering and designed some of Melbourne's mos
Michael Kauter
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the Bolinda Audio audiobook version of this book, narrated by David Tredinnick.

This was a thoroughly engrossing account of Monash’s and Chauvel’s leadership on the Eastern and Western fronts during the latter stages of WW1.

Recommended!
Ron Brown
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have had an interest in John Monash since when reading AJP Taylor at university I saw the statement, “ (Monash) … the only general of creative originality produced by the First World War.” In 1985 I read Geoffrey Serle’s biography of the great man. In 2015 I read Perry’s account of Monash. I am not sure why Perry did not go on and just publish an account of Harry Chauvel and his WW1 achievements in the Middle East. I guess coupling it with Monash would be more popular.
This publication is a wor
Phil
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is an outstanding, fast paced, yet well detailed, account of the two greatest fighting generals of the First World War. Roland Perry makes the complex battlefield and strategic scenarios accessible in an incredibly engaging way doing justice to the contribution the Australian Army made in defeating the German and Turkish aggressors who plunged the world into unspeakable horror in the early years of the twentieth century.
Dennis Rutzou
Nov 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it. An absolutely fantastic read. I thought I had read everything that there was to read about Monash but Roland Perry has surprised me with new information in this fascinating book that links the World War 1 stories of two of Australia's best ever generals. I noted that eh referred to a move to have them both raised to the rank of Field Marshall, honours they should have received in their lifetimes and I will try and find out how I can get on board such a move. I thoroughly recommend th ...more
Peter Moy
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A Very Well Written Book on the Campaigns of Two of the Most Outstanding Generals of WWI

In this very well written book, the author of this book makes a compelling case as why John Monash and Harry Chauvel were the two of the best performing generals in the first world war. These men and the armies they led have largely been written out of history by the self-serving English professional officer class in the case of Monash and the Arabists of the British foreign services in the case of Chauvel.

Helen O'Shaughnessy
Jan 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
A book telling the parallel stories of Monash’s European war and Chauvel’s Middle Eastern war.

I’m pretty fresh when it comes to the world wars (which was one of the reasons this book caught my eye) and for a least half the book I was cynical of the praise being heaped on Monash - I mean if he was so awesome why is he not more widely known in my generation? And we’re the rest of the Allies’ leaders really so useless?? However by its end, I was a believer. Or at least I am super impressed by Monas
Dianne
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book not only educated me into the amazing contribution of Australian diggers in WW1, but introduced me to two remarkable leaders in the military in Monash and Chauvel.
I strongly recommend this well researched record of the blow by blow ordeals of the war in Gallipoli, the Middle East and the Western Front, to any serious reader who prefers truth in history rather than bias or distortion of facts for ulterior motives.
I say no more except well done Roland Perry. I am so glad to have discov
Christopher J.
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perry has created a great a great case for Monash to be promoted posthumously to Field Marshal. WWI saw Australian forces come under the rule of the British who also controlled who received what major accolades. In the case of Monash, he couldn't be promoted as it may have shown up the British as being less than adequate commanders and military strategists.

A great read.
Anthony Neck
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Essential reading if you want to know the facts about WW1 and who won the vital engagements. It was these two gentlemen and the armies they led. A most fascinating read and the loss of life before Monash and Chauvel was colossal - hard to comprehend the bad decisions by the British and the Cannon Fodder strategy.
Geoff Roe-Phillips
Fascinating and engrossing presentation of the place in history which should be afforded to Monash and Chauvel. Easy to read and moves with pace. The themes are a bit repetitive and some external references would improve its veracity. Nonetheless a great read for any person interested in WWI or Australia history.
Donald Pryde
Vincent
Jul 29, 2018
Michael
Oct 18, 2018
Professor Roland Perry (born 11 October 1946) is a Melbourne-based author best known for his books on history, especially Australia in the two world wars. His Monash: The Outsider Who Won The War, won the Fellowship of Australian Writers' 'Melbourne University Publishing Award' in 2004. The judges described it as 'a model of the biographer's art. In the Queen's Birthday Honours of June 2011, Perry ...more