Start by marking “The End of Magic” as Want to Read:
The End of Magic

The End of Magic

Sander Bree is a royal mage. Steeped in privilege, he lives a cushy life advising the king on matters of court and politics, yet still complains that he's stuck in a rut.

Rosheen Katell is a freelance mage and, with Anzu her griffin, she’s worked hard to build a reputation as a trustworthy truth seer. She never lies, never kills.

The source of their power is the Lapis Moon
Published February 7th 2019 by Unbound Digital

To ask other readers questions about The End of Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The End of Magic

Andy Angel
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a whole lot of fun and full of some interesting ideas. As you can guess from the title it revolves around what happens when magic disappears from the world and those with, if you like, power become powerless.
What caught me most was what happened with those classed as 'Moon Children'. Those with magic got there power from a moon whereas Moon Children were 'blocked' by it and kept in a state of childlike ability. Unable to think well, communicate etc they are seen as low and only capable
Harrylime
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Confession. I don’t read that much Fantasy.
So, right off the bat, I have to ask, what is it about Fantasy books and maps? At no point in the reading of this novel by Mark Stay did I suddenly think, "Shit! Where the hell am I? Better go back and check the map”.
In recent years, my only experience of fantasy has been watching Game of Thrones.
The comedian Craig Ferguson once asked George R.R Martin why the place names in his books sounded like artisan cheese farms.
George replied, “I like cheese.”
Pe
Ollie
Feb 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First Five-Star Book of 2019! (For me at least)

It has been a long wait for me to read the End of Magic. Having first seen it on the crowdfunding publishing site Unbound, I knew I had to read it and became a Super Patron of the book. My reasons were the same as those mentioned by Stay in his video about his motivations for writing the book. As an avid reader of fantasy, I agree with him that there are either fantasy novels filled with living magic, or fantasy novels where it has been long dead an
Kirsty Herrington
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
The End of Magic offers its readers an intriguing premise. While many of us are no doubt familiar with books where seemingly normal people discover they possess magical powers (unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past twenty years and missed the Harry Potter phenomenon), this new fantasy novel, written by Mark Stay, turns the traditional tale on its head and, as the title suggests, deals with, well, the end of magic.

Rosheen Katell is a freelance mage and trusted truthseer who travels
Nick Brett
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wow, this is not only very good but really does twist the traditional fantasy story on its head.
We are presented with a traditional fantasy bit of world and plot building, powerful mages, magical creatures and ambitious warlords wanting absolute power. Yep very normal and as expected for the start of the book, and then, everything changes. The moon that is the source of the magic is destroyed and magic…ends.
So there are instant changes, powerful mages no longer have magic, the magical creatures
Geoff White
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was one of the patrons that helped crowdfund this novel via Unbound and I've really enjoyed the resulting book. Mark Stay has written a book with a gripping plot, fascinating characters and intriguing world building that is right up there with the best in modern fantasy. Although this is a standalone novel he has created a rich world and characters that I hope he returns to in the future.
Julian Barr
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Stay does for George R.R. Martin what Pratchett did for Tolkien. It's fast-paced, funny, and occasionally poignant, taking many tropes of the fantasy genre and subverting them brilliantly.
Batjutsu
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Many people do judge a book by its cover, look at the amazing cover! Okay, maybe I’ll justify my 5 star ;-)

I found The End of Magic to be a wonderful tale. I thought it conveyed a strong theme of hubris and complacency, with so many characters assuming that a world of magic was stable, just accepting things as-is. Characters had high stakes, one focused on family, many on power and nation-shaping, whilst for another all they cared about was their own survival even at the cost of their principles
Steve Gowland
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this book.

Got a copy after pledging through Unbound and I've been listening to the BestSeller Experiment podcast almost from the start.

I have always wondered how good a writer Mark Stay is on his own, and the answer is a very good one. This book engaged me from the first chapter and I made huge progress without realising, its such a page turner.

So much happens its hard to believe its just one book. Loved the premise and the originality of the story. The ending went in a completely
Karen's World
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you like a bit of fantasy then this is the book for you. Characters that are good, different but all work well together.
Michelle Vess
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was so delighted to support this book through Unbound. The End of Magic had me worried about the characters before I’d even read the story. And rightly so. Every time a new repercussion of magic’s end came up it seemed worse than the one before.

Themes were of family bonds, loss and gaining of power both magical and political, loyalty, taking things for granted, the decisions people make to save the ones they love and to save their own necks, literally.

I love how Mark Stay wove each characters
Maddie
Kata
Janel
Feb 26, 2019
Mark co-wrote Robot Overlords with director Jon Wright for Piers Tempest’s Tempo Productions. This was selected for the 58th BFI London Film Festival. Mark also wrote the film’s novelisation to critical acclaim.

Mark is also co-presenter of The Bestseller Experiment, which was shortlisted for the Futurebook Podcast of the Year award. The podcast began when he and Mark Desvaux challenged themselves