Start by marking “Perilous Confessions (The Possession Chronicles Book 1)” as Want to Read:

Perilous Confessions (The Possession Chronicles Book 1)

Their love brought scandal and demons.
Lucy Easton, an aspiring novelist, will do anything to help boost her chances at publication—including betraying her family. But when she crosses paths with the charismatic Alexander Melling, her aspiration for success pales in comparison to the attraction she feels towards him.
Alexander is a young lawyer from a powerful family, striv
Kindle Edition
Published January 8th 2019 by Bienvenue Press, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Perilous Confessions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perilous Confessions

Lisa Book Shelf
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gothic romance

This is the first gothic romance I have read but want be my last. This author draws a great background and character in her story. With characters that will move you as they fall in love,and work out there problems and find there happy ending. Looking forward to reading more from this author during this unique era of history.
E.A.
Perilous Confessions (The Possession Chronicles Book 1) by Carrie Dalby was an engaging, detail tale, full of raw emotions, ups downs, and of course love.

My first read by this author ,I was pulled in right from the first page and was hooked until the last. It's been a long time since I have read such a pulling and captivating historical fiction. Rich with detail and a multi layered plot, this book was not only well balance it was as close to perfection as one could get.

This was just the book I
Tracy Wilkin
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perilous Confessions is book one in the Possession Chronicles by Carrie Dalby. I haven't read anything by this author, so reading this book was a new and exciting experience.

Lucy and Alexander fall love and it is a tale for the ages. I love reading the whole romance process from many years ago. From the courtship, to the marriage, to the rest of their lives together, and all the trials and hurdles along the way. Alexander had his demons to slay, and Lucy had to decide if he was worth the extra
Laura Furuta
By: Carrie Dalby
5 out of 5 stars

The story Perilous Confessions (The Possession Chronicles Book 1) by Carrie Dalby is a historical fiction romance book. It is a story that pulled me in from the beginning and I found myself lost in the pages. I enjoyed reading about the character of Lucy Easton. Lucy is a young woman who is driven to become a writer. She is beautiful, intelligent, and strong. She also has found herself deeply attracted to Alex
Melissa Agena
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book and fell in love with this story! Perilous Confessions is book 1 in The Possession Chronicles by Carrie Dalby. This book is one that I would put down as a classic and re-read must! I loved this era because no one really writes from this era, which makes it unique. Not only does this era make this story amazing but adding the fact that they are in the South, which adds more of a scandalous tale. This book is set in the very late 1890 or very early 1900’s and follows Lucy Easton, ...more
Maura
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I did not read the full title of this book before diving in. Only after reading it did I see that it is "Southern Gothic" that was a new phrase to me, so I had to look it up... As described in the "Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Literature" - "Southern Gothic is a mode or genre prevalent in literature from the early 19th century to this day. Characteristics of Southern Gothic include the presence of irrational, horrific, and transgressive thoughts, desires, and impulses; grotesque characters; d ...more
Natalie Hanley
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aspiring writer Lucy Easton was an innocent young lady whose lively imagination meant she was ripe for seduction. Her brother Edmund’s friend Alexander sets his sights on her and she is swept up in his passion.
In the background, family friend and recent widower, Freddy is also captivated by Lucille. Younger sister Opal is the only one to notice the goings on but her brusque manner means that no one believes she is doing any more than causing trouble.
As Alex pursues Lucy through the book I found
Katie
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star
By Carrie Dalby
5 stars

Perilous Confessions was a gripping, exciting read that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. When I first read the blurb for this book I instantly felt like I was going to enjoy it, it was intriguing, the author was new to me so I was really excited to get started. It didn’t take me long at all to become completely invested in everything that was going on in the story. The detail that the author used meant that I could imagin
Heidi
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perilous Confessions (The Possession Chronicles Book One) by Carrie Dalby is the first book i have read by this author and I was not disappointed in any way. This Gothic Romance pulled me right on with amazing storyline, strong characters, and so many secrets that are lurking everywhere. The ups and downs mixed with such emotional truly grab a reader. The author did an amazing job grabbing the reader's from the get go to the very end of this book.

Parents and family always want what is best for
Caralee
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perilous Confession (Book one of the Possession Chronicles) by Carrie Dalby

4 Stars!!!!

Wow yet again another new author and another gripping book. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading this book but I was pleasantly surprised. I found the authors writing style to be refreshing and engaging. The book just really gets you hooked from the first page.

The complexity of the relationship between Lucy and Alexander is played out so well through this book. To read the drama as it unfolds in
Angela
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars

Perilous Confessions is the first book in The Possession Chronicles by Carrie Dalby. This is a fantastic historical romance with a definite Gothic feel to it- there is plenty of drama, secrets, intrigue, passion, guilt, and lots more.
This story is only the second story that I have read of Ms. Dalby’s, and I was intrigued to see what she had in store for us, with this first book in a new series. I love the way Ms. Dalby is able to build vivid images with her words, bringing her story and c
Jenni Bishop
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perilous Confessions (The Possession Chronicles Book 1) by Carrie Dalby is well written, and is a historical romance. It is a story where women are still chaperoned anything to do with romance is considered scandalous. The main characters relationship is complex and laden with improprieties. It is a love so strong that it will destroy souls but the actions of the men in this story leave me wanting to smack each and every one of them. I am not a fan of historical romances but this one was ok.

Luc
Erica Fish
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perilous Confessions by Carrie Dalby is my first read by this author. It was a great first introduction to her writing. I enjoyed her writing style. I am not a history person because I cannot remember dates, on the other hand I can remember eras and remember what makes them important. Dalby was true to the time period and I really appreciated the darkness of the story, others call it gothic and that is a great description as well. The story of Lucy and Alex is one of mystery, secrets, passion an ...more
Gail Guerrero
PERILOUS CONFESSIONS Book One of The Possession Chronicles by CARRIE DALBY

Four Stars

I’m not sure how I felt about this story. I usually love Historical stories. The time was so different men treated certain women with respect and laid freely with others. Women were property they had no rights or say so. I love the concept of courting. It’s so refreshing and special. Now guys don’t talk you on romantic walks or open doors for you. Lucy was a confusing character. She cried a lot and couldn’t make
Heather
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Carrie Dalby's Perilous Confessions is the first book of the Possession Chronicles. This gothic romance was a style that I had not previously read, but at the same time, was a refreshing view of a different take on romance outside of what is available mainstream. The author provided excellent detail to touch on the historical aspects of the story, while still holding on to some of those items you always look for in romance stories - intrigue, raw emotion, passion, longing... Lucy and Alexander a ...more
Michelle Austin
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Perilous Confessions was a great 5 star read and book one in the Possession Chronicles.
It has been awhile since I’ve read a historical romance and I was pulled right in.

Lucy wants to be a writer and when she meets Alexander at a party she quickly falls for him. Alexander is a lawyer with a past that holds some demons. Can these two make things work and have a HEA? Will Lucy be able to handle the secrets that Alexander has?

I really liked Alexander, there was something about him that drew me in. L
Kerry Baker
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perilous Confessions by Carrie Dalby is the first book in the Possession Chronicles series. This book will draw you in immediately and completely take over your entire attention.
This is the first book that I have read by this author and I found her work to be extremely detailed and riveting. I wasn’t overly blown away by the blurb however the cover of the book really caught my attention, which was enough for me to give it a go. And I’m so glad that I did. The story wasn’t what I was expecting. I
Katie Kearney
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perilous Confessions (The Possession Chronicles Book 1) By Carrie Dalby. I’m not much of a fan when it comes to historical type stories but this one may have really changed my mind on that. Lucy and Alex immediately grabbed a hold of my attention and I simply couldn’t stop until the end. This story never felt stuffy to me, that I’ve felt in other historical romance reads I’ve done. The storyline flows nicely and I never felt it was dragging on. The chemistry between the main characters is a joy ...more
Sheri
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Perilous Confessions by Carrie Dalby is the first book in The Possession Chronicles. This is a story set in the Edwardian Era and tells the story of Lucy Easton. She is wanting to be a writer and has some difficult choices to make. She also meets Alexander Melling who has an interesting past. Can the two of them look past the difficulties?
This is a well-written book that I was engrossed in from beginning to end. I really enjoy historical fiction and this was really enjoyable. I liked the charact
Sam Sheerin
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Perilous Confessions (The Possession Chronicles Book one) by Carrie Dalby is an amazing 4 star read for me.

Diving into the depth of historic romance of courtship, scandal and the family that's good high standing within society. Back to the days of being escorted to balls, accompanied to tea and never being alone with a man if your were a young beautiful attractive women.

Lucy and Alex are the most unlikely couple you'd expect but their courtship is something most girls/women only ever dream of ha
Madison Degraffenreid
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019read
Perilous Confessions Book One of The Possession Chronicles by Carrie Dalby

5-stars

Perilous Confessions was beautifully written and I found it easy to get wrapped up in. The characters and setting were easy to visualize even with it being at a different time in history. The fashion for the time was easy to visualize as well. I loved this story although I rooted for Lucy to choose Freddy over Alex the whole time. I did not expect the way it ended but I was happy with the way it all came together.
Eda
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Fits the mold but doesn't break it.
Lucy is a young woman with dreams and potential. Alex is a young man with a rakish past and money. The book set in the Victorian era. And like a lot of books written in this era it is a romance. A lot of this book was written with familiar tropes and concepts that are similar to the genre. Although the book is written well it doesn't stand out. Secret meetings check, a brother that would disapprove check, lavish parties check. I couldn't find anything genuine o
Bobbi Wagner
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite historical romance books, I have read in awhile. I enjoyed how Lucy and Alex made me feel as if I was right there in their story. Their story is an emotional roller that goes from one feeling to another. Their chemistry is off the charts. As Alex starts revealing himself to her, will she decide it is just to much for her? I kept hoping they would get their happy ending but you will have to read this book to find out! I highly recommend their story.
Heather Lovelace
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Historical romance/fiction is one of my absolute favorite genres and this book definitely did not disappoint. The author does a beautiful job weaving this tale, skillfully pulling the reader in the walk beside the characters on the journey they take. Rich and vivid detail - I felt like I was walking through the pages and living the experiences with them. A wonderful book and one I highly recommend others jump into. I cannot wait to continue reading this series and more from this author.
Samantha McIntyre
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Let’s just start out with what a book!! First time reading the book and anything by the author. At first I wasn’t sure if I was going to like the book, but I loved it!! The ups and downs of a passionate love will remind you of all the best love stories! You can tell the passion this author has. She will go far and do amazing things! I can’t wait till I get to read the second book!! It’s going to be so good!!
Roxana
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to say that I was impressed with Perilous Confessions by Carrie Dalby. I went in blindly, not knowing what to expect with this story. I am glad that I did it this way, because I got a storyline with well developed characters. I loved seeing both Lucy's and Alex's story, how they grew individually and where their journey took them. It was definitely a refreshing book, one that I enjoyed and look forward to seeing more from this series. It was a 4 Star book for me!
Carmel Allen
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gripping story

A gothic historical story that will grab your attention and won't let you go. Families that want the best for their kids but sometimes what parents think are the best isn't necessarily best for the kids. Alex and Lucy try to fight for their love but Alex finds it hard to let go of his past.
Diana
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s a perfect blend of love, passion, scandal and mystery set during the glamour and revelry of old Mobile Mardi Gras.
Joyce Scarbrough
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is beautifully written, meticulously researched, and full of wonderfully flawed characters that will make you laugh, fume, cheer, and cry. And everything is set against a canvas of Edwardian era Mobile that will make you feel as if you can hear the tolling of the bells in the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, smell the water of Mobile Bay, and see the carriages rolling down Dauphin Street to deposit the faux royalty of Mardi Gras at the decadent balls. Highly recommended for anyo ...more
Jen
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great read!! It hits all the points of a good romance story, without the predictability. Dalby makes her characters live & breathe on the page, & I really did feel transported back to early century Mobile. This is the beginning of a series, & I am so excited to read where it all ends up!!!
Carrie Dalby's current project is a historical Southern Gothic family saga series for adults, The Possession Chronicles. The first book, PERILOUS CONFESSIONS, released on January 8, 2019 by Bienvenue Press.

Her two young adult novels are FORTITUDE (listed as a "Best History Books for Kids" by Grateful American Foundation) https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4... and CORRODED https://www.goodreads.c