Start by marking “My Little Car” as Want to Read:
My Little Car

My Little Car

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Teresa was so excited when her grandpa gave her a fantastic little carrito for her birthday. Everyone admired it when she rode down the sidewalk and it won Best Car at the playground hands down. Over time, though, she stops taking care of it and it practically falls apart. But when it helps her escape from a neighborhood dog, she is reminded of how much she loves it. And h ...more
Published April 20th 2006 by Putnam Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about My Little Car, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Little Car

Scott Janson
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-310
Good book for the mexican heritage. It shows a lot about the traditions. Also a good book for young girls.
Skylar Burris
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
Decent moral: be responsible for your stuff and take care of it. It seemed a bit stereotypical (with regard to Hispanics), and did not hold my car-loving son's interest.
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So cute! The story is about a little girl who is given a toy lowrider when she outgrows her trike. She loves the little car and drives it all over her neighborhood, but then starts to neglect it. Her grandpa comes and helps her to fix it back up (including some chile headlights), and she goes off again...low and slow. It's a simple, but really cute story. I liked the illustrations and the way Soto easily incorporates the Spanish in with the English. It doesn't feel forced at all! Recommended!
Sanchez Library
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
It started off with some stereotypes and some vocabulary like ranfla and muchacha, and it seemed predictable. The length of pages in this story surprised me-I expected it to be shorter. The dialogue with her grandpa at the end is really endearing.
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All parents and children who love brightly illustrated books.
Shelves: juvenile
What an eye-pleasing book My Little Car (Mi Carrito) is. This is my son’s favorite book of the moment as it meets his current criteria: it’s colorful and it’s about a car.

Gary Soto’s My Little Car is the story of Teresa and the lowrider pedal car given to her as a birthday present by her Abuelito (grandfather). She lovingly takes care of her little car and enjoys driving around her neighborhood. She wins a trophy for her Bailelo skills (making her car dance) in a contest, outraces a dog and beco
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Grade/interest level: Primary (1st-3rd grade)
Reading level: Fountas and Pinnell, L
Genre: Realisting fiction, multicultural (Spanish words)

Main Characters: Teresa, Pumpkin, Grandpa
Setting: Teresa's home and surrounding neighborhood in an urban area (probably Los Angeles).
POV: from Teresa

This story is about a first-grader named Teresa. She got a toy car from her Grandpa. At first she was really excited about the car, but as time passed, she began to lose interest in the car. She would leave it out
This is a “find” at the library, an older story by Gary Soto about Teresa, a first grader, whose mother says she’s too young for a bike, but she’s finally happy when her grandfather sends her a lowrider car for her birthday. She loves the attention when she rides around the neighborhood, but soon forgets about it. It is left out in the rain, a bird poops on it, and left in the driveway means her father backs into it. She thinks it’s ruined until grandfather comes for a visit and helps fix the ca ...more
Kristin Carney
Nov 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I did like this book. For me it was hard to understand at times because I don't speak Spanish so some words I had to look up. Also the style of the book went with the latino style. The book was talking about shining the car chromes. I can tell you when I was little I didn't know what chromes were. Also every character in the book had dark hair and most latino have dark hair. The colors that the illustrator used also helps with the culture of the character. I just think overall this book is well ...more
A 2007 Americas Commended Title.

This story is about Teresa and her new 'mini' low rider. You know how as a child you got a Barbie jeep to drive, well Teresa has a low rider. Awesome! Teresa adores her new low rider but starts to 'forget' the typical car maintenance, like washing it, painting, etc. Grandpa Benny comes to the rescue in making her old car look like new! A great story about responsibility. Recommended for grades K-3.
May 04, 2013 added it
Shelves: manners
I'm working on creating a booklist for my local public library. This book was one in consideration for this list.

This is going on my list. Though it doesn't cover manners per se, it does cover the idea of a child being responsible for their belongings. I enjoyed the cultural turn of the picture book as well, depicting a barrio quite well.

Definitely good for storytimes and...actually, I can't think of a program it wouldn't work well with. Love Gary Soto.
Mar 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, latino
Teresa receives a toy lowrider from her grandfather, but doesn't take care of her beautiful gift. I love that it's a girl getting the low rider, and that the cultural details are present and important but not a lesson being crammed down the reader's throat.
May 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Su
Shelves: children-s-books
I loved this book on so many levels and so did my 2.5 year old daughter. I even took this book to school and shared it with a kindergarten class too, and they seemed to like it. The illustrations are great. I love the Spanish words. Just an awesome book. I had to buy myself a copy.
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Teresa is thrilled with the gift of a lowrider from her Grandpa as she was sick of the trike. It is shiny and draws attention until she does not take care of the lowrider. Later her Grandpa comes to visit and sees the disrepair of the lowerider and they make it even better working together.
Dec 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: lowriders
A kids book highlighting the proper care and feeding of a toy lowrider. Suuuuuuweeet!
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
The story had an overly obvious moral, and sometimes the text bordered on creepy. And I most definitely did not love the illustrations.

Danell Burney
Great book K-2!
Aug 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Another total favorite. Wonderful pictures and well-told. The only thing was the slight didactic stance, which I try to avoid but is totally rampant in children's books.
May 15, 2016 added it
Shelves: picture-books, 2016
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: latino-latina
Cute story by award winning author Gary Soto.
I thought this was a fun story. I think it would be a nice read aloud.
Sep 09, 2017
Aug 23, 2007
Ariana Diaz
May 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Gary Soto, born April 12, 1952, was raised in Fresno, California. He is the author of eleven poetry collections for adults, most notably New and Selected Poems, a 1995 finalist for both the Los Angeles Times Book Award and the National Book Award. His poems have appeared in many literary magazines, including Ploughshares, Michigan Quarterly, Poetry International, and Poetry, which

has honored him w