Start by marking “His Hand In the Storm (Chief Inspector Gray James #1)” as Want to Read:
His Hand In the Storm (Chief Inspector Gray James #1)

His Hand In the Storm

(Chief Inspector Gray James #1)

Colorado Gold MYSTERY AWARD WINNER. Daphne du Maurier Suspense Finalist.

A MAN COPES ANY WAY HE CAN AFTER KILLING HIS ONLY SON.

His team believes he’s calm and Zen. His boss finds him obsessive. Suspects think him gorgeous but dangerous. They’re all right.

Chief Inspector Gray James is sculpting the remembered likeness of his small son when he receives the

Published December 22nd 2018 (first published December 21st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about His Hand In the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Hand In the Storm

Start your review of His Hand In the Storm (Chief Inspector Gray James #1)
Linda Strong
Meet Chief Inspector Gray James. He is a mixture of calm, obsessiveness, and the ladies like that he is extremely good looking.. The reader will learn that he carries a burden, which is slowly revealed.

He is called in to investigate a faceless corpse found hanging by the river. And this won't be the only body that falls. Someone is killing the founders of a booming medical tech startup.

These cases are going to test him.... he will risk his life .... and his inner peace will be shattered.

This is
SA Krishnan
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting twists and turns in a gruesome mystery.
Gray James is not able to get over the death of his son. He is struggling with maintain his facade and that was when the murders starts.
The emotions of the lead character as he tries to sort it out and focus on the case are very beautifully brought out. The plot is interesting and has enough twists and turns to keep it guessing till the very end.
Interesting read.
Darren
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this as a e book from Net Galley. I enjoyed reading it. It had a good story to it. It would make a good movie. I liked the variety of characters in it. It is my first book read by this author. I hope to read more books by this author.
Ann-Marie
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Are there any people left alive in Montreal? After reading this book I have my doubts. There were so many murderers running around either killing it trying to kill different people in this book I lost track.
Confusing story, unsympathetic main character with a confusing back story.
Ritu Sethi
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book while living in Montreal and enjoyed every minute of it. The newly-constructed condo I was renting (in previously industrial Griffintown which is now trendy and chic) had a big and beautiful chalet overlooking the city. From that view, I could see the St. Lawrence, Mt. Royal, and the outdoor adjacent saltwater pool on the deck (which I used daily). No one bothered me there all day, and I wrote about CI Gray James. I set the tech startup (in the book) in this neighborhood. I wis ...more
Jeannine
Feb 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Chief Inspector Gray James, of the Montreal Police force, is dealing with the death of his young son, an injury to his hand, the loss of his wife, a gruesome murder case and a boss that is trying to kill him. A good plot with some nice twists and lots of suspects. The back story of his son's death is dragged out through 80% of the book before you find out what happened. Since this is the major cause of the psychological angst of the main character, I find this technique annoying and I don't thin ...more
Susan Johnston
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Princess Fuzzypants here: If you are in the mood for a gritty old fashioned kind of police mystery, this could be for you. Inspector Gray must deal with a corpse in a park with its face eaten away by acid. First he must figure out who is the victim and then why someone would go to such lengths to destroy the body. You might think this would be plenty to keep him busy. But when his car blows up at the scene and then he is ambushed entering a building, it is clear someone wants him dead too. He ha ...more
Cathy Geha
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
His Hand in the Storm by Ritu Seth
Inspector Gray Mystery #1

Chief Inspector Gray James is an intriguing character who after having suffered the loss of his son and being abandoned by his wife has focused his life on solving one murder case after another. He sculpts to keep himself grounded and pretty much lives day to day without really living or perhaps feeling...if that makes sense. It takes awhile to find out Gray’s backstory and I think there is still more to learn as the series continues. My
Natasa
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: freebies, mystery, crime
Not a big fan of mysteries and therefore not a big connoisseur, but this one was really fast paced, I had no clue what the hell was going on for the first half of the book and even then I never would have guessed the bad guys lol...but I guess that's the point anyway, I really enjoyed this one.
Lori Miller
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
!

I greatly enjoyed the book it held my attention all through the book. I would recommend this book to anyone
Ruth
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I originally picked it up because of the location mentioned - Montreal - a city I lived in and miss. And because it was a 'police procedural'. Yes, the lead was a Chief Inspector - Gray James - and it led off with the finding of a body in the park by the St. Lawrence. Gray is a man with troubles, grieving over the loss of his young son (who died when they went out sailing and hit bad weather), but with more troubles looking for him in his own police department.

I enjoyed most of the story, althou
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
I took a while to get into this book despite the beginning being jammed packed with action. A faceless dead body, a car explosion and a shooting all within the first chapters!

But then I got into the story as the body count started piling up. Gray is the lead investigator and whilst trying to solve the murders he is also trying to keep himself alive as someone has it in for him.

Gray also has some mysterious story regarding his son's death that was heavily dragged out throughout the book, a littl
Caroline Walken
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Exciting!

An exciting read, I kept guessing at the villain , but Ritu Sethi prkved me wrong each time !
Very enjoyable!
Pat
Mar 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, mystery, dnf
A looooot of characters whose every move seems to be psychoanalyzed. A looooot of details that it's not clear are important. Characters are moody, moody, moody, to the point of irritation, and the author appears to think I want to know every psychological quirk of everybody. Multiple points of view for no evident reason.

Perhaps the book doesn't work for me because it's genre: you got a shocking crime scene, trim out the in-depth psychology of the detective looking at it--or make it clearer why I
Annie
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

His Hand In the Storm is the first book in the Inspector Gray James thriller/mystery series by Ritu Sethi. Released 22nd Dec 2018, it's 208 pages and available in ebook and paperback formats.

This is a mystery thriller set in Montreal. The main character is flawed (but handsome and irresistible to women) and working with a team in a major crimes unit. The plot is twisty and unpredictable.
There's a fair bit of rough language and graphic violence
Lynda
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Susan Birchall
Sep 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
His hand in the storm.

I found this book very hard work. There is so much unnecessary descriptions over everything, using 40 words were 5 will do. Always using the dictionaries longest words, where a the normal word would be adequate. By the time you had finished reading the overdone descriptions , of the weather, how the gardens and the houses looked ect, you had forgotten, the reasons why Grey the defective or the other characters had said, done ,gone, ect. And a quick re-read was necessary to
Anna Mary
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd give this a 3 1/2 if I could. While it was interesting I felt the writing was a bit confusing. It was hard to follow the main story line with so many confusing side stories thrown in. I think the author was trying to build curiosity about the main character's past which she did, but in doing so she seemed to muddy the main plot.

The ending left me wondering how two of the more fringe characters were involved in the murders and why they had it out for James Gray. That was never really explain
Mary Cokenour
Mar 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This first in the series is convoluted, twists and turns in every chapter, to the point where the reader begins to think the murder victim could possibly be the murderer. Lots of characters with detailed secrets, no alibis, and lies, lies, everyone is lying.

Detective Gray is a bitter, depressed, self-punishing man, who blames himself for the death of his young son, and the abandonment by his wife. He throws himself into this work by day, and sculpting the image of his son by night.

While I person
Yvette
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is not bad at all. Inspector Gray could do with some finessing, but it's a likeable chap.
There are a couple of thing I didn't like:
- at first it bothered me that there was too much going on: the crime Gray is investigating and then everything in his personal life.
- the ending, or should I say the open ending, was a bit abrupt.
- in the kindle edition there were really many typos which became bothersome after a while, too many to gloss over. Someone should have done some proofreading a
Dianne Faktor
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was ok
Suggest author re-reads her work after proof-reader/editor

& before publishing. The grammar and language and spelling are just too many to gloss over. Totally off-putting. Premise and plot is good, but could have been better developed toward a better & satisfying ending. Left me rather cold (pun intended - though not so funny).
If this book is re-proof read and re edited I’d probably recommend it.
Michael Mardel
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
His hand in the storm by Sethi. I quite enjoyed reading this murder mystery and didn't notice any editing problems which I usually do. The main character, Gray, was grey like his name, just staying ahead of things, especially a murderous person on the police force. As the bodies double up Gray is also a mentor for a young boy, reminiscent of his son and losing him.
The twist at the end, I suppose, is to make the reader want to buy the next book in the series. Maybe.
J.T.K. Gibbs
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a rich, satisfying mystery. Sethi's gift for description is poetic and the gradually unfolding of each character's strengths and flaws feels all too real. The reader gets to know the characters as if in real life. So rare in many modern mysteries, the reader is allowed to follow the chain of events and deductions without being told what to think or how to think. It is a challenge to read and deduce the solution, but it is a joy to read and luxuriate in the language.
Emily
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this more. The primary storyline was tight and well paced and I never guessed the twist that revealed the murderer. Gray James is a strong character.

However, there were too many subplots happening. Maybe it was just that they were brought into the story in such a disjointed manner. It was often jarring the way the author jumped from one plot to another. Either way, it created too many distractions for me to be able to really enjoy this book.
Kimberly C. Winslow
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
A decent read.

Had a hard time keeping my interest until about 65% into it. It then picked up the pace.
Still confused about the character strife and why do many of Gray's fellow officers seem to want him dead. Why do many enemies and the implication that Gray is colluding with criminals. When he has evidence against superiors and doesn't do anything? Seems very out of character.
Diane E
Quite the thriller

Initially quite confusing trying to figure out who is who . Somewhat exotic characters . Gray James is a bit of an enigma , however quite the detective . A puzzling murder shows up . As usual the who, what and why are involved . So goes an investigation with many facets including a start up medical techno company .
I enjoyed this book in spite of many typos and sometimes wordy prose.
Bekke
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was ok
disappointing

The characters were mostly unappealing & their descriptions were unnecessarily graphic. Often, they had sweaty hands, or a sheen of sweat. From the beginning there was no clear picture of what crime(s) had been committed; they were only revealed in bits and pieces throughout the book. Overall a waste of time, but i did want to know the answers to what all was going on. Unfortunately, i still don’t have a clear picture - things jumped around too much, and never really fit together in
Mary
Jan 30, 2019 rated it liked it
This was the first book I've read by this author, and in general, I liked the story. There were many different characters, but the main character, Detective Gray, was very complex in his thinking and solving the murders that happened as his character was strong. Yet, he seemed sad. I'will read more of this author's stories...
P.S. Winn
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and thought the story line was a good idea. When a dead body is found, then another and another, Gray James is a the investigator looking into the strange murders. What he finds is a twisted tale of greed and the search for power by any means possible. I liked this author's writing style. This is the first book I have read by this author, but surely won't be the last.
mzbeastle
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't dismiss this book because of the minor editing needed to move the story along more smoothly. There were, however, some things that took place which had me scratching my head...but I'm not going to spoil the story here. Characters were good, a bit over-emotional but again, who am I to judge how people react to trauma in their lives. All in all, a good effort by the author.
« previous 1 3 next »
Nook books: February 22, 2019 1 3 Feb 22, 2019 07:18PM
The Mystery, Crim...: 5 Literary mysteries: Article I wrote for BookBub 3 12 Feb 15, 2019 06:22PM

• Stealing Power (Detectives India Kane & AJ Colt, #1)
  • Bad To The Bones (Evan Buckley Thriller, #1)
  • Between Two Thieves (Between Two Thieves #1)
  • Dead and Gone to Bell (A Samantha Bell Mystery Thriller, #1)
  • Chasing Shadows (Drew Patrick)
  • Even Good Girls: A Murder Mystery
  • See You Soon
  • The Poison Path (DI Hogarth Poison Path #1)
  • Heartless (Derek Cole, #1)
  • Retribution (Psychic Detective Kate Pierce Crime Thriller #1)
  • Last Call (Janet Black Mystery, #1)
  • Next Door (Chloe Fine #1)
  • All Eyes on Me (Miranda and Parker Mystery #1)
  • Hunt For Justice (Justice #1-2)
  • Sniper's Nest (Detective Jesse McCord #1)
  • Missed Connections (Missed Connections #0.5)
  • Deadly Secrets (Mapleton Mystery #1)
  • Remember Me? : (Book One): A DCI McKenzie Crime Thriller

Ritu Sethi can be followed on BookBub, by clicking:

Ritu needs coffee (her patch for Coca Cola), beaches, and murder mysteries to survive – not necessarily in that order. She won the Colorado Gold Award for the first in the Chief Inspector Gray James Murder Mystery Series, His Hand In the Storm. The book was also a Daphne du Maurier Suspense finalist.

She has

Chief Inspector Gray James (2 books)
  • Kill Me Why? (Chief Inspector Gray James Mystery #2)