Start by marking “The Slave City (The Viper and the Urchin #3)” as Want to Read:
The Slave City (The Viper and the Urchin #3)

The Slave City

(The Viper and the Urchin #3)

A complicated mission.
A team of misfits that just don’t get along.
What could possibly go wrong?

The team:
A skinny pickpocket with dreadlocks and a big attitude.
A foppish assassin with a fear of blood
An elite fighter, master of the sardonic raised eyebrow.
A smuggler with a drinking problem and a propensity for brawling.
And a no-nonsense, heavily tattooed machinist, t
Published January 31st 2019 by Lotus Press

To ask other readers questions about The Slave City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Slave City

Elizabeth Lloyd
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was excited to hear of a new book in the story of former street urchin, Rory and her friend, Longinus the assassin. This time they leave Damsport to travel with Cruikshank, the Machinist, who has been sent on a covert mission to the city of Azyr. Believing they will help Raheeme, a Reformist, to bring slavery to an end and provide water for the poorest of the city, they set out on the smuggling ship of Adelma, a massive, powerful woman they will be glad to have on their side. But they soon dis ...more
Barb Taub
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I began reviewing this series, I looked at the characters in terms of three sliding scales: competence, proactivity, and sympathy. At first Longinus—the elegant, mysterious assassin—seems to be supremely competent, proactively controlling his life and choices, if (as a poisoner) he’s somewhat unsympathetic. While Rory, the street urchin, is at the mercy of a pitiless world, an orphan whose dire circumstances should demand our sympathy.

Only…Longinus has a showstopper flaw for an assassin: he
Emily Wrayburn
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review originally posted on A Keyboard and an Open Mind 04 February 2019:

I’ve got to say, I was pretty excited when I got an out of the blue email from Celine Jeanjean offering me an ARC of this book, as it had been a while! I re-read the first two in antipcation and then dived into this third one, where we are not only reunited with all the fabulous characters from this series, but also get to see what this world is like beyond Damsport.

In this instalment, Rory and Linginus, along with a ragtag
Riley
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steampunk, favorites
If you go back to the book blurb and read about the “The team” and “The mission”, you will get the gist of everything I love about this book. Especially “The team”. I see no reason why I can’t use what has already been written to get this review started:

“A skinny pickpocket with dreadlocks and a big attitude.” This would Rory. She may be physically petite, but her character is enormous. I’ve read three novels and one prequel novella where Rory shines as the big-hearted pickpocket imp. She reads
Sara Snider
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, indie, steampunk
My favorite band of misfits is back in the latest installment of the Viper and the Urchin series. Hurrah! These characters are like old friends to me, so I was very happy to see them return.

In this book, they’re headed to the exotic city of Azyr to help spark a revolution to overthrow the slavery that plagues the city. And by “they” I mean Rory, Longinus, Adelma, Cruikshank, and Rafe. If you’ve read the previous installments, you’ll know who these characters are. If you haven’t, stop right now a
Mwong
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. If you haven't read it yet, start with the "Bloodless Assassin" or the prequel, "The Pick Pocket". In particular, there's a lot of references in Slave city that will make a lot more sense, if you read "The Pickpocket" first (which is free from Celine Jeanjean's website).

I'm always super happy when I find an author I like because it means hours of entertainment for me. If you like Lindsay Buroker, I think you'll like this series from Celine Jeanjean as well. Although the stor
Kristin Gregozeski
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not wait to get my hands on this book. I have enjoyed the first two books of this series and this book did not disappoint either. Whenever I pick up one of these books I cannot put it down. Definitely, recommend this book as a must read now and if you haven’t read the first 2, get all three.

I received and ARC copy of this book and have never been more excited to read an ARC book. I will be buying it too.
Emma
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Celine Jeanjean has become one of my favourite authors on the strength of the three Viper and the Urchin books. I have reread all of the books and joined the mailing lit to ensure I don't miss any. In the last book Rafe disappointed me but I felt he redeemed himself in this book. An assassin who faints at the sight of blood, fantastic world building and Rory, what's not to love.
Samantha
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really really enjoyed this one. A solid 4 stars....
I'm looking forward to the next one.....that isn't out yet :(
Ladyhawke
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Whoooooo boy

She’s been gone forever and comes out with this. Yes luv!!! This might be the best of the three . So glad I hung with it
Nicole Trainor
Lope Nieves
Feb 24, 2019
Melanie
Feb 27, 2019
Celine Jeanjean is French, grew up in the UK and now lives in Hong Kong. That makes her a tad confused about where she is from. During her time in Asia she’s watched the sun rise over Angkor Wat, lost her shoes in Vietnam, and fallen off a bamboo raft in China.

Celine writes stories that feature quirky characters and misfits, and her books are a mixture of steampunk, fantasy and humour.

The Viper and the Urchin (3 books)
  • The Bloodless Assassin (The Viper and the Urchin, #1)
  • The Black Orchid (The Viper and the Urchin, #2)