Start by marking “Christmas Eve” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Christmas Eve

Jim Butcher

Christmas Eve

(The Dresden Files #16.1)

Jim wrote a new short story, Christmas Eve, as a gift for his fans on December 24, 2018. It is posted to his website and Facebook page. The story is set after Peace Talks and depicts Harry's first Christmas Eve as a dad, as well as a few other familiar faces. As it was released before its predecessor, it does offer some hints as to the happenings of Peace Talks, but no maj ...more
Published December 24th 2018 by Jim Butcher

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Eve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Eve

Anne
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anne by: Chad
Awww! An online Christmas short from Butcher FREE HERE for those of you (like me) jonesing for a little new Dresden.

description

Harry receives 3 gifts from unexpected visitors while he and Mouse try to put together a bike on Christmas Eve for Maggie.
Cute, sweet, and I kinda teared up a little at the end. Definitely worth the 10 minutes it takes to read, but beware spoilers if you aren't caught up on the series.
Chad
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
I went searching for information when Peace Talks is to be released and discovered this little gem instead. Jim Butcher left us a little Christmas gift in a short story about Harry assembling a bike for his daughter on Christmas Eve. There are some spoilers referenced for the upcoming Peace Talks presumably, so be warned. They are broad strokes though. Kind of like Stephen King likes to do in his novels where he alludes to bad things to come in the future towards the beginnings of his stories.

In
Steven
Jan 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Enjoyable little shorty... but it just reminds me that I NEED PEACE TALKS. *sigh*
Mitticus
Spoilers until Cold Days.

It's Christmas Eve and Harry and Mouse are assembling something for Maggie. Bittersweet memories and visits.

Mouse steals the show as always.

-->Here
Melanie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
"This was a mere child’s bicycle. It was no match for the intellect of a Wizard of the White Council."

David
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Well... of all the Christmas presents I expected, a surprise Dresden Files short story was not one of them. Yet that made this story all the sweeter.

Butcher knows how to wrap his fingers around your heart strings and play a subtle tune, and with Christmas Eve he did.

There are a lot of details that make this story great, from both the amusing bits, to the nostalgia, to the character cameos, and to the sad, painful connotations of the peace talks.

That's right. This happens AFTER Peace Talks (which
Eldarwen
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
Cute shortie that makes me want for the next book so, so much!
Mouse is a star, as per usual :-)
Anton
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: shorts
Extra short but very sweet ;) full of Christmas spirit 🎄
Lauren Campbell
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a great holdover and sneak peek for The Book that Must Not Be Named. I especially loved the appearance of some of my favorite faces. And of course, Mouse's reading skills having extended to children's toys assembly instructions is just perfect.
Diana Prince
This was so goddamned adorable and also made me tear up. I love Jim Butcher's writing and I really hope he's able to finish Peace Talks soon. Although when you've been writing in the same universe for almost two decades, I can understand the need for a break. This was just the sort of thing to tide me over. <3
Adam Fisher
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Harry spends Christmas Eve night building a bike for his daughter Maggie, he gets visited and given gifts by Mab, Molly, and Kringle. The gifts are..... WAIT... this is AFTER PEACE TALKS?

I opened the envelope. It had one piece of paper in it. On it was written a very large number.
“What is this?” I asked.
“The total of everyone’s medical bills from last summer,” she said, her voice quieter, soberer. “Everyone who got hurt. It’s all paid for.”
I didn’t want to think about the peace talks.
Pain. So mu
Denise
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
This was adorable, touching and heartwarming to the point of putting some happy, sappy tears in my eyes. That being said... C'mon now, Jim, how much longer are you going to make us wait for Peace Talks?! Give!!
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Just a taste- I need more Dresden ASAP.
Wulf Krueger
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 0_wk_read_2019
“Christmas Eve?”, I hear you cry. Why that?! Why pick an unimportant short story from the Harry Dresden universe and write about that?

Simply because it lets me make a point: Harry Dresden is a male chauvinist pig; he’s a misogynist arse. And even an impromptu short story is worth reviewing it because the stuff is just that good.

I read the first book, “Storm Front”, expecting nothing, getting something weird. I certainly didn’t really like it – generous 3 stars. I was wondering if it would get
Nami
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Kriss
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not really a book, just a very short story. If you're already a fan, the story will warm your heart, especially so close to Christmas. I just wish he could have put a few more characters in, I want to say hello to them all, see how they're all doing, I've missed them. But if you don't know this series, this story will mean nothing to you, so be warned. It's very simply, this was an absolute gift to the fans and nothing more.
Keith  Blodgett
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great Christmas present from Jim Butcher to his fans. Harry struggles, like all parents to assemble presents while he's visited by three, not quite spirits. There's a bit of spoiler for anyone not completely caught up with the series but beyond that it's a quiet, happy interlude for Harry Dresden and those who love him (us fans included!)
Miguel
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantástica, relatos
Para ser sinceros este no es uno de los mejores relatos que ha escrito Jim Butcher pero el hecho de que este ambientado DESPUÉS de Peace Talks, novela que todavía no se ha publicado, y encima el autor se permita lanzar un par de píldoras sobre lo que va a suceder en ella ya es suficiente para darle 4 estrellas.
Por dios que larga esta siendo la espera...
Samantha Bustos-Hubeny
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this! I'm glad the description clears up the fact that it's set after the next book. That explains why they keep referring to things I don't remember happening!

This was a ridiculously cute little short and I loved every moment of it.
Natalie
This was such a lovely short story about Harry & Maggie!! Butcher posted it on his website for his fans, and I just loved it. I’m itching even more for Peace Talks!!! If you’re a Dresden fan, definitely check it out! ❤ ...more
Vinay Badri
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
Now that was cute but at the same time, teasing so many things about Peace Talks. Guessing Peace Talks is gonna be brutal and judging by when Butcher has released this story, like to get a release date soon enough
Penny Ramirez
I didn't even know I needed this story until I read it today.

"Merry Christmas, Harry," I said through my tears.

Can't wait for Peace Talks!
Shandra
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Aww... super sweet. *sniff*
Jana Eichhorn
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hardly fair to call this a "book", but it gave me the warm squishy fangirl feels.
Sisiely
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Naaaw this just gives me the fuzzies.
Margaret
Absolutely fabulous!

Thank you so much, Jim Butcher!!
Tiuri
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, christmas
I love Harry but I adore Mouse, so Mouse getting a deeper bow from Mab than Harry made me so happy!
Sho
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It was so great to read about Harry again and know how he and the gang are doing. It was a sweet nice story too just a great Christmas gift for fans.
Peace
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A spin on Dickens tale with 3 visitors, 3 gifts, and a twist.

Read here for free:
Minh
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
So spoilery! I couldn't help myself, makes me want Peace Talks even more :D
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Jim Butcher is the author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera, and a new steampunk series, the Cinder Spires. His resume includes a laundry list of skills which were useful a couple of centuries ago, and he plays guitar quite badly. An avid gamer, he plays tabletop games in varying systems, a variety of video games on PC and console, and LARPs whenever he can make time for it. Jim currently resi ...more

The Dresden Files (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • Grave Peril (The Dresden Files, #3)
  • Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4)
  • Death Masks (The Dresden Files, #5)
  • Blood Rites (The Dresden Files, #6)
  • Dead Beat (The Dresden Files, #7)
  • Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)
  • White Night (The Dresden Files, #9)
  • Small Favor (The Dresden Files, #10)