Start by marking “The Imperial Alchemist: 1 (Georgia Lee)” as Want to Read:
The Imperial Alchemist: 1 (Georgia Lee)

The Imperial Alchemist: 1

(Georgia Lee #1)

A legend buried for 2000 years. A woman compelled to uncover the truth.

210 BCE, CHINA. The most powerful emperor China has ever known is on the brink of death. In desperation, he sends his most gifted alchemist and sorcerer on a quest for the mythical elixir of life.

His fleet never returned....

NOW, world-renowned archaeologist Georgia Lee is compelled to hunt for a mysteri
Published October 9th 2018 by A. H. Wang

To ask other readers questions about The Imperial Alchemist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Imperial Alchemist

Start your review of The Imperial Alchemist: 1 (Georgia Lee)
Patricia
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic Book

The Imperial Alchemist by A. H. Wang is a thriller full of Chinese history, legend and mysticism. Archeologist Georgia Lee uncovers a tomb that has been hidden for more than 2,000 years in China. This major find should have benefactors lining up to invest in it's excavation and examination. Instead she is told to return to Australia because most of the department funding has been cut.

Millionaire Mark Lambert contacts Georgia with an offer to investigate an old chinese legend of Hsu
Sam
Sep 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as an ARC in return for an honest review.

The Imperial Alchemist is a brilliant mystery adventure book with a main story line rooted in Asian history, archaeology and geography. I can't say that there are too many similar books that have been written in this context, as most of these adventure type novels tend to be based in the Western world. A very pleasant change!

The protagonist Professor Georgia Lee is instantly likeable - smart, beautiful with a fierce intellect. In all
Swetha Patel
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imperial Alchemist by AH wang had me hooked from page one. I went into the book blind and it turned out to be the perfect read for my little reading adventure. The book has an exciting storyline and the references to well- researched Asian history, mythology and legends make the story more believable. The characters are fleshed out and likable. The story gets more and more entertaining with each chapter and the end does not disappoint either. The book was a certified page-turner for me and I hig ...more
Lauren
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. It made me stay up late in a sleep-deprived state just to finish it, it was that good! Really well researched, great style and characters. Can't wait for the next one! ...more
Falguni Jain
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What if someone tells you that there exists elixir somewhere in the world, making the person immortal who drinks it. Would you believe it?

The Imperial Alchemist takes you on one such adventure trip. Georgia, an archaeologist is assigned the task of finding the elixir by a business tycoon Mr. Lambert. The task is much difficult then it seems and much twisted then you would expect. Georgia who first thinks it is just an unrealistic demand of a copious businessman, soon realises it is well planned
Cecelia Isaac
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was the Winter 2019 F-BOM Book of the Month. Full review here: https://f-bom.com/2019/01/01/the-impe...

"As a Chinese major in college, there’s nothing I love more than an Asian-influenced science fiction or fantasy novel. The Imperial Alchemist is also a thriller, which means in typical thriller style Georgia is bouncing around the world following clues. The attention to detail is awesome, and after following Georgia around I have a few new museums (and hiking locations!) to add to my
Margaret
Sep 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read this year! And I am thrilled that there is to be a sequel soon. I always hate it when a really great book ends, don't you? But a sequel solves that problem!!

A. H. Wang's book, The Imperial Alchemist has so many things I love in a book. It is certainly. an action adventure thriller. It has historical and legendary info about China, Japan and Taiwan. Georgia, our heroine, is an Archeologist working in the area of ancient civilization and its artifacts. And there
Maggi Nimmo
Sep 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a remarkable page turning adventure mystery. The rich history of China, Japan and Taiwan is interwoven into a magical tale that keeps you turning pages to see what happens. A.H. Wang's writing is quite precise and not overly descriptive so I was able to imbue the experience with an overlay of my own imagination that drew me even further into the story.
The characters are archetypal without becoming typecast and drawn with sympathy and insight so that even as the book ended I wanted to kno
Jackie
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alright read. I wasn’t a fan of some of the grammar
Leah
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. It had mystery, history, interesting characters and kept my interest the entire time. Well written.
Jim
Jul 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! ... It's diff­icult to believe that this is A.H. Wang's first novel. So we­ll written, meticulo­usly researched, just outstanding. The mix of fact and ficti­on make for a fascin­ating read, a real page turner you won't want to put down. This young lady was born to write! Advent­ure, mystery, supern­atural, this book has it all. The heroine of the tale, Profe­ssor​ Georgia Lee is a compelling chara­cter you will love. You might even learn a few new words! Would make a brillia­nt movie!
Highly
Tara
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic read! I spent many nights reading page after page into the early hours of the morning. I loved the mystery and the twists in the story that you don't see coming. The heroine, Georgia, is such a wonderful character - so full of integrity and a thirst for knowledge. She's so incredibly intelligent and yet so humble and courageous. And what adventure story isn't complete without a love interest - always cheering for Georgia right to the end!

Definitely a worthwhile read - go ge
Phoebe
Feb 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and read it in a weekend - I couldn’t put it down! The historical storyline was fascinating and the suspense and drama of the plot had me hooked. I also loved then beautiful imagery of the Taiwan countryside. The author’s style is very easy to read and I highly recommend this novel.
William
Apr 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a story, what a ride!

It’s like a fishing trip, the author casts the line and I bite, she slowly reels me In until I am in the boat, then the fun begins as I read the story taking me on a journey that has many twists and turns. Well written and the characters nicely developed, keeping me from putting the book down, which I did not.
Viola
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome

Great tale throughout. Historical and travel galore. Kept my attention from the first page til the last. Deals nicely with spiritual concepts.
Simon Pert
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book. It was a thrilling read from beginning to end and really didn't want the book to finish.

Cannot read to read more from A H Wang
Sam
Sep 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Imperial Alchemist is A. H. Wang’s first novel, however you would not think that when reading it. She has written a mystery adventure book with a main story line rooted in Asian history, archaeology and geography. The storyline ties together a 2000 year old legend with current times and weaves a story that is well tied together. I totally enjoyed this novel and look forward to the next novel by A. H. Wang.
Fiona Titchenell
Mar 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Basics:

Thousands of years ago, Emperor Qin of China sent out an expedition in search of the elixir of life. Now, professor of archaeology Dr. Georgia Lee has been given the opportunity to pick up where that lost expedition left off. By tracing the clues across East Asia, she hopes to make a few new discoveries about a world-shaping period of Chinese history and perhaps secure the funding to save her research department, but before long, she finds herself chasing the secrets of her own past a
Stephen Cordray
Dec 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love historical fiction and this book lived up to my standards. Packed with knowledge yet filled with fiction it was a joy to read. Will keep this author on my to read list. Once I started I could not wait to get back to it.
Judi Easley
Jul 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoughts: I loved this book and really sort of stumbled over it by accident! A world-renowned archeologist searching for a life enhancing elixir. This is really fun. Highly recommended!
Mark Will
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An archaeological and historical adventure with many twists and turns, The Imperial Alchemist has been described by some readers as an East Asian variation on The Da Vinci Code. In this reviewer’s opinion, however, A.H. Wang’s mystery thriller is of a higher order of literature than Dan Brown’s.

Wang skillfully evokes the world of the ancient Far East in a series of flashbacks which relate to the legend of Hsu Fu, a sorcerer of the Qin Dynasty. But the continuities between past and present are h
Mark
Sep 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one fast-paced, funny, heart wrenching, fascinating story. The detail is incredible as are the depth of the characters, who drew me into the story with ease. My first all-nighter for as long as I can remember..just couldn't stop reading! I loved it.

Probably the best book I have read since Dan Brown released the DaVinci code, seriously! The only problem now is waiting for the next book.
Em
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would highly recommend this book. It was a real page turner with an enthralling plot that twisted and turned! The character portrayal was very good. The protagonist was likeable and somewhat enigmatic. I also liked how the history was embedded into the story itself. I’m not usually one for history in the form of non-fiction or even in historical novels. However in this novel the history was so relevant to the plot that it really came alive. I can’t wait for the sequel!
Vicki Scullion
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An archeologist searching for an elixir that makes humans immortal is right up my alley. The characters were interesting, although they might have been developed a little more deeply. There was a lot of action in the plot, and the historical themes were interesting. I really liked this story.
Cathy A. Witherspoon
Fascinating

Amazing story. Wonderful characters. Enjoyed the history. I love to fact check historical fiction and learn new ideas and research new areas . So this was a delight. Looking forward to the sequel.
susan grosskopf
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!!!

I loved this book. The story was great and the history was fascinating, so different than other books. Thanks thanks
Todd  Rocky
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book !
If you like The Da Vinci Code and Chinese history (like the movie Hero), then you will love this book !
Stephanie
2021 Popsugar reading challenge: A book set in multiple countries

Countries: Taiwan, Japan, China, Australia

This is more of a 3.5 stars read that I might round up to 4 stars since I did enjoy the reading experience a lot.

So, this is a very broad category that could fit tons of novels. And yet, when I first read it, I immediately thought of books like the Da Vinci Code. I had a couple non-action/adventure books listed as potentials for this category, but then this book was advertised on Facebook
Anthony
January 29, 2021

A Review by Anthony T. Riggio of the book:“The Imperial Alchemist” by W. H. Wang

I purchased this book on Amazon in the Kindle format. It sounded so interesting even though this genre of book is not on the top of my list but since I love History, I took a chance. I am happy I did. This book was both interesting it was superbly entertaining and gave me some insight into Chinese history and thought.

A servant of first Emperor of a unified China, the same Emperor responsible for the
Anonyma'am
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received a gratis advance copy in return for my honest opinion and review. My thanks to Ms Wang for her generosity!

Just to let you know, I dropped the second book I was reading in a series I was really into so I could read this. I am not sorry. At. All.

There are a few extra words and a few missing words and one capitalization error. Only the capitalization error disrupted my immersion, though.

The narration is third person current tense (I guess), i.e. "Georgia watches him" instead of "Georgia
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Library of the Kings (Tom Wagner #2)
  • The Sacred Weapon (Tom Wagner #1)
  • The Vivaldi Cipher (Vatican Secret Archive #1)
  • The Invisible City (Tom Wagner #3)
  • The Arthurian Relic (Harry Fox #1)
  • The Opus Dictum (Vatican Secret Archive #2)
  • The Emerald Tablet: Harry Fox Book 2
  • The Golden Path (Tom Wagner #4)
  • Hypatia's Diary (Darwin Lacroix #2)
  • The Crown That Lost Its Head (The Agency of the Ancient Lost & Found #2)
  • GENETIC WORLD: The next step beyond Dan Brown's The Da Vinci Code, and Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park and West World
  • The Magdalene Veil (The Magdalene Chronicles #3)
  • The Magdalene Reliquary (The Magdalene Chronicles #2)
  • Templar's Bank (Darwin Lacroix #3)
  • Roman Ice (Darwin Lacroix #1)
  • The Newton Code
  • The Anonymous Scribe
  • The Magdalene Deception (The Magdalene Chronicles #1)
See top shelves…
A.H. Wang is a contemporary visual artist and author with a deep fascination for ancient history and a passion for adventure. Born in Taiwan and raised in Australia, her travels have taken her across five continents and dozens of countries. Throughout her journey, she became fascinated by the local cultures and the lore of ancient civilisations.

As well as making art and writing, you will find her

Georgia Lee (2 books)
  • The Golden Khan (Georgia Lee, #2)