Start by marking “Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)” as Want to Read:
Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8)

Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables #8)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  33,494 Ratings  ·  1,365 Reviews
Anne's children were almost grown up, except for pretty, high-spirited Rilla. No one could resist her bright hazel eyes and dazzling smile. Rilla, almost fifteen, can't think any further ahead than going to her very first dance at the Four Winds lighthouse and getting her first kiss from handsome Kenneth Ford. But undreamed-of challenges await the irrepressible Rilla when ...more
Paperback, Special Collector's Edition, 277 pages
Published February 25th 1997 by Bantam Books (first published 1921)

Maria
Aug 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
"'Is it Rilla my Rilla?'
Yeth."
Kate
May 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is the final book of the Anne series, and deals with the lives of her children. While it's wonderful to see characters evolve into adulthood and have a next generation come to life, the real strength of this book is it's window into the homeland society of rural Maritime Canada during the first World War. It's one of few documentations (even if the characters are fictional) of what women were doing at home during the war, and this setting breathes new life into the end of the series. The se ...more
Lindsay
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that finally severed my relationship with Kevin Sullivan. When Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story premiered in the early 2000s, I was shocked to discover that Anne and Gilbert were suddenly time warped to WWI.

That's wrong. On so many levels.

WWI wasn't Anne's war, it was Rilla's, and Ken's, and Walter's, and that damn dog who turns me into a gushy mess every freaking time I read the last chapter. Rilla -- the youngest child of Anne and Gilbert -- is fifteen (see what I m
Duane
I have now read all eight books in the Anne of Green Gables series. Eight books that were an absolute pleasure to read. I like this one almost as much as the 1st one. It's the story of Anne's daughter Rilla, but it is set with the backdrop of World War I which has a huge influence on Anne's family. This story has a more serious tone than the other books but it is a fitting conclusion to a wonderful story.
Melki
"Before this war is over," he said - or something said through his lips - "every man and woman and child in Canada will feel it - you, Mary, will feel it - feel it to your heart's core. You will weep tears of blood over it. The Piper has come - and he will pipe until every corner of the world has heard his awful and irresistible music. It will be years before the dance of death is over -years, Mary. And in those years millions of hearts will break."

At first, everyone is more concerned with loca
Kelly
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidlit
This is probably my favorite of the Anne books. I love watching Rilla mature into a young woman, and I think the romance betwen Rilla and Ken Ford is one of the best in kidlit.
Victoria Lynn
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-fiction
Now, I loved Anne. Don't get me wrong, but this book was on another whole level. I ADORED It. The heartbreak of ww1, the grown up Blythe family. . . I just loved everything about it.
Elizabeth
It was recently drawn to my attention by a fellow Goodreads reader that the editions of Rilla of Ingleside, for which we had become accustomed, are abridged versions of the original edition that L.M. Montgomery published. Somehow along the way, an abridged edition appeared through an Amercian publishing house and that abridged version became the standard (accidentally). As a result, I was curious to discover what jewels of Rilla of Ingleside I was missing. While, I feel self-satisfied in the kno ...more
Olivia
2017 update: The more I've read this, the more I appreciate the metaphors, every day life of each characters, descriptions, laughter, and tears throughout. This book will never grow old for me. It's a dear friend :)
***
This is the most amazing, sweetest, heart-wrenching books I've read in my life. I've read it at least ten times (maybe more ;)) and I love it every. single. time.

This is a book that can be enjoyable read on its on, but it is ever so much better if you've read the whole series. So r
Britany
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh Rilla-my-Rilla.

This series has had its ups and downs, but this one was worth all the pain. This book was perfection. Told from Rilla Blythe's point of view in diary format, we start in early 1914 and she is carefree, frivolous and worried about what hat she'll wear to the dance. Enter the assassination of Franz Ferdinand and suddenly Ingleside finds itself ensconced in WW1.

This book had everything I need and never knew I wanted from this series. Completely takes the cake for my absolute fav
Darcy
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was with great relief and disappointment that I finally closed the last volume of the Anne series. I'm afraid I found this volume a colossal bore. Rilla, cute as she is, was not featured as prominently as the title would suggest; nor was her love story. Set during WWI, Rilla of Ingleside chronicles the entire duration of the war and how it effected those in Canada. By the time they made it to 1918 I was praying for the war to end so the dang book would end. The scenes hardly varied. It was a ...more
Allison (The Allure of Books)
This is a stand-out in the series for me, I love Rilla.

If Dog Monday doesn't make you cry, I don't know what will. He breaks my heart every time.
E.F.B.
Mar 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Lovers of WWI fiction
I started reading the Anne of Green Gables series for the first time in late 2016. Slowly, but surely, I made my way through. I liked some of the books and loved others, but none of them ever quite match the first book, which remained my favorite of them all. Then, along came Rilla. I knew from certain Goodreads friends that it was different from the rest of the books because it's focus is on Anne's daughter rather than Anne herself. What I didn't realize was how very emotional it would be (in a ...more
R.F. Gammon
Heartbreaking and beautiful. One of the few fiction books out there in World War I, and so worth it.
Jazzy
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
EEP

OH BOI.
This was so lovely, you guys. There are so many things... so many feels... *happy sigh*
Heather
The final book in the Anne of Green Gables series makes a solemn capstone to an amazing run. My Dad bought me these books when I was little on the condition that I read all of them, and I've just now fulfilled that promise.

Covering the duration of World War One, this book, along with Anne's House of Dreams, is definitely one of the saddest in the series. Yet these two books give the characters of Anne and her children, including the title character, her youngest daughter Rilla, a more rounded fe
Cathy
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
(view spoiler) ...more
Celeste
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Full review now posted!

I DID IT! I actually managed to read all the way through the Anne of Green Gables series, all 8 books worth. They’re not long books, and 8 might not sound like very many, but these are still technically classics and that would a good bit of classic reading in a row. While the books weren’t all as wonderful as the first, none of them were bad and I feel like reading the series in its entirety was worthwhile.

Out of all of the books, this last one was probably my least favori
Dorsa
Jul 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
کتاب آخر این مجموعه هر دفعه با روح و روان من بازی میکنه

به نظرم یکی از بهترین و ملموس ترین وصف حال هاییه که از دوران جنگ جهانی وجود داره.
حقیقتا شاهکاری!

والتر😭
Kat Leache
Jun 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-readfavorites
My faaaaavorite Anne book--it focuses on her youngest child, Rilla, and it's set during WWI (the series is set in Canada, who entered the war with England, so it was a much longer and painful ordeal for them than for the US). Rilla is a silly young 15 year old when the war begins--by the end she's an amazing and strong woman. This book is wonderful! I'm regularly tearing up on my lunchbreak reading this one.
Allie
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Rilla of Ingleside' is my favourite of the 'Anne' series, it's even better than the internationally-beloved 'Anne of Green Gables'. That's my opinion, anyway! It features Rilla [short for Marilla:], Anne and Gilbert's youngest daughter, and her trials throughout WWI, when two of her brothers and the young man she cares for go off to war. Poignantly written, never dismissing hardship, heartbreak, love, and the more common of adolescent strifes such as rivalries and embarassments, 'Rilla of Ingle ...more
Michele
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I knew what to expect going into this book, from inadvertently reading summaries. Even if I hadn't, the Pied Piper foreshadowing in Rainbow Valley, gave this last book's big development away. Even so, it was very moving. I read it during a flight and cried like a lunatic the whole plane route.

Being mostly familiar with U. S. History, it was interesting to see the war from a Canadian perspective. Susan's view on Woodrow Wilson and his love of "notes" was hilarious. It makes me wish that Montgomer
Audrey
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Rilla, the youngest of Gilbert and Anne Blythe' s children was flighty young thing when World War I started but the next four years made her into a responsible young woman. Most surprising of all is when she fosters a baby for the duration of the war. This is an heart-breaking and triumphant story of the Great War.
Kirsty
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rilla of Ingleside is number 619 upon the Virago Modern Classics list, and is another addition to the children’s literature which the publishing house is introducing to a whole new generation of readers. This particular L.M. Montgomery novel is recommended for those from the age of nine onwards.

Rilla of Ingleside, first published in 1921, is the last book in Montgomery’s famous Anne of Green Gables series, and can be read as a standalone book. It takes place when title character Anne Shirley is
Fatemeh Nazari
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1396
موقعى كه كتاب اول را شروع كرده بودم، خواندنِ ٨ كتاب چقدر به نظرم زياد مى آمد! اما الان كه كتاب آخر را تمام كرده ام، ميبينم كه كوتاه تر از آن چيزى بود كه فكر مى كردم.
كتاب آخر به يقين از سه كتابِ قبلى زيباتر بود.
لحظه لحظه شريك شدن در حال و هواى خانواده اى كه سه پسرشان در جنگ جهانى اول شركت دارند.
اضطراب، ترس، انتظار، انتظار،انتظار...
دلم مى خواست در كتابِ آخر صحبت بيشترى از شخصيت ها و مكان هاى قبلى شود.
از اونلى زيبا، ماريلاى عزيز كه حتى خبر فوتش را در يك جمله ى كوتاه خوانديم، از دياناى دوست داشتنى،
Leah
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
YAWN....

Honestly, I have lost patience with this series. I think the straw that broke the camel's back was when Marilla's death is merely glanced over in one...count it, ONE...sentence. I want to hear about Avonlea. I miss the romance and the scenery and the people of Avonlea. This is no longer the Anne of Green Gables series, it is the "Anne's Kids and their Friends" series.

Perhaps it's because I neglected to read these stories when I was younger, sort of in the same way I really can't appreci
Belle
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My goal was to read the complete series in 2017. I think Rilla of Ingleside is my favorite Anne book.

Anne books in favorite order:

1. Rilla of Ingleside
7. Anne of Ingleside
8. Rainbow Valley
Emma Jane
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I ADORED THIS BOOK. In fact, much more than I was expecting to. Sure, everyone seems to rave about it, and it was my best friend who (gently) pushed me into reading it...but I didn't expect to LOVE it. I've read several of L.M. Montgomery's books now, and while I enjoy her writing style sometimes, overall it's not my thing, and by the time I got to Rilla of Ingleside -- the fourth book I'd read of hers in a year -- I was rather tired of it.

BUT THAT DIDN'T MATTER. This is one of the most beauti
Hope
I've been telling myself that I'm going to write more reviews and better reviews, and I remembered this book on my shelf and thought it deserved one, so here we go:

This is my favorite of the Anne books. It's not much about Anne, yes, and a lot of folks have a problem with that, but it's about Anne's youngest child; her daughter, Rilla. Rilla starts out as a brat, Rilla grows up into a mature, sweet woman. This book goes through all that. She has her mother's spirit and love of beauty, but she do
Susann
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was so nice to have Rilla waiting for me, as I went through my 'Anne' series re-read. I would love to take a class on WWI and have 'Rilla' as one of my texts. Because Montgomery wrote this shortly after the War ended, all the details seem so fresh and ripe for discussion: the battles, the politics, the Canadian perspective, the role of women, the emerging technologies, and - my favorite - the jingoism. It's fascinating to read Montgomery's casual mentions of bricks being thrown through window ...more
Around the Year i...: Rilla of Ingleside, by L.M. Montgomery 1 6 May 10, 2018 10:35AM
Play Book Tag: Rilla of Ingleside by Lucy Maud Montgomery - 3 stars 1 12 Jun 19, 2017 11:34PM
Walter.... 6 115 Jan 20, 2017 08:54AM
"Pacifism and Strangers are Evil"? 15 136 Nov 26, 2014 08:44PM
Kenneth Ford 3 89 Aug 17, 2014 05:30PM
RoI - trimmed?! 3 43 May 31, 2014 01:29PM
I only wish she talked about... 3 92 Apr 07, 2014 03:28PM
  • Betsy's Wedding (Betsy-Tacy, #10)
  • Noelka (Jeżycjada, #7)
  • Rose in Bloom (Eight Cousins, #2)
  • Panna z mokrą głową
  • Long May She Reign (The President's Daughter, #4)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery

Anne of Green Gables (9 books)
  • Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)
  • Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3)
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7)
  • The Road to Yesterday (Anne of Green Gables, #9)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $15.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Palm Trees in the Snow
  • Mary
  • A Map of the World
    $14.99 $2.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The body grows slowly and steadily but the soul grows by leaps and bounds. It may come to its full stature in an hour.” 288 likes
“There was something in her movements that made you think she never walked but always danced.” 202 likes