Start by marking “The Missing Wife” as Want to Read:
The Missing Wife

The Missing Wife

You think you know those closest to you. You are wrong…

A sleep-deprived new mother approaching her fortieth birthday, the very last thing Louisa wants to do is celebrate.

But when her friend Tiff organises a surprise party, inviting the entire list of Louisa’s Facebook friends, Louisa is faced with a room full of people she hasn’t spoken to in years – including someone

Published June 27th 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about The Missing Wife, please sign up.
Chafic (Rello) It's more thriller, but there are elements of a mystery.…moreIt's more thriller, but there are elements of a mystery.(less)

Start your review of The Missing Wife
Michelle
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
The wife is missing, or is she?

This book is a total recipe, it has all the ingredients of a decent thriller, its binge-able, its plot driven, the typical 2D characters, the clues, the twists, the almost neatly tied up ending with a few stray ends that leave you wanting to call the author demanding explanations to your unanswered questions.

To be honest I enjoyed this, I read it in two sittings, it's a perfect sofa day with snacks book.

If you enjoyed Gone Girl / Girl on the train I have a sneaky
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
I have read and enjoyed previous Sam Carrington books so I jumped at the chance to read The Missing Wife. And for 3/4 of the book it was heading for another 5 star review. And then it swerved well off course and it lost me. It was such a shame as I was really enjoying the story but then the main character became a completely different person. Things then became far fetched and funny and I was disappointed with the end. But for the most part I really enjoyed it, I just hoped for a better conclusi ...more
Robin Loves Reading
My Rating: 3.5 Stars

Louisa's biggest problem at the moment is trying to get enough sleep while dealing with a new baby. However, her fortieth birthday is approaching and her husband and best friend Tiff plan a huge surprise party. Louisa doesn't have any other close friends other than Tiff and is appalled when she arrives at the party only to discover that Tiff has invited everyone on Louisa's Facebook list of friends. One shocking guest is Oliver, Louisa's first love.

Not only did their relation
Aneela ♒the_mystique_reader♒
For me this story was more about a hungry cry baby and his sleep deprived mother rather than a thriller about the missing wife. 50% of the book is about feeding hungry Noah, how the 40 year old mom Louisa is suffering from sleep derivation and how it is affecting her mental health.

The rest of the story is about friendship, betrayal, manipulation and forgotten memories of the dark past.

I did like the writing style of the author though. Her writing is fluid. Her characters have distinguished per
Lou
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Missing Wife is Ms Carrington's fifth psychological thriller and having fallen out of love with this author's books over her last few years I am pleased I picked this up as its a welcome return to form. It's an addictive read which is difficult to put down as the premise is a terrifying one. Louisa is an exhausted new mother who just wants a bit of peace, so when her best friend Tiff organises a surprise party inviting many people she hasn't seen for decades she is more than a little peeved. ...more
Louise Wilson
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Louisa is approaching 40. She's a new mum to Noah, a baby she had not planned. Her daughter, Emily is now a teenage and Louisa has forgotten just how exhausting being a new mother can be. Her best friend, Tiff is trying to boost her self esteem by throwing Louisa a surprise 40th birthday party. But Louisa doesn't remember much about her past. After the party her memory lapses just get worse. A boyfriend from her past had turned up at her party and his wife disappears the same night.

This book had
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was definitely a page turner from start to finish. There was always lots going on and had great twists and turns throughout. The characters weren’t particularly likeable but they were interesting and made the book what it was. It was such a good thriller and I definitely recommend it.
Stina
THE MISSING WIFE is quite a different read, but one I actually enjoyed. It was slow in parts and fast in others but it came together rather well. It raised enough questions to keep me on the edge of my seat.

Louisa is approaching 40, a new mum to a tetchy Noah who was an unexpected surprise and she is completely exhausted. She has forgotten what it is like to be a new mother - how exhausting it is, the sleep deprivation - considering her daughter Emily is now a teenager. And despite it all, she l
Melissa In The City
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is so deserving of 5 stars because not only was it written so well, but the characters also came into a life of their own. I could feel Louisa's sense of paranoia and the her frustration at the memory loss. The author did a wonderfully eerie job at bringing these people to life. I would really like a character and then really hate them. Everyone was a suspect here.
The plot was really well constructed and the chapter organized by how many days past the party were a huge help to follow a
Samantha Gonsalves
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I picked this book up and went in with a different expectation. I thought I knew where the story was going. Surprise! Surprise! I was wrong. The Missing Wife is a psychological thriller; a story of obsessive love, breath-taking deception, and masterful manipulation. By the end, I hated all the characters but liked the book! There were quite a few twists in here, most good, some predictable; nonetheless this was yet another book I found difficult to put down.

Louisa is an exhausted, sleep-deprived
Alayne Emmett
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a real gem!!! It drew me in right from the first page and went through right to the last. I found it at times made me gasp and I wanted to keep reading. I loved the story and all its twists and it kept me guessing all the way through. I wish I could give it ten out of ten stars. This free book was sent to me by netgalley in return for an honest review.
Debbie
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Louisa is an exhausted and sleep-deprived new mum. So when her best friend, Tiff, organises a surprise party for her fortieth birthday she is unimpressed. To make matters worse, Tiff has secretly invited all of Louisa's Facebook friends, ones she is not really friends with, including an ex. When one of the guests wives goes missing after the party the mystery begins.

What I loved about this one was the whole Facebook and social media aspect and the play on memory. While this was more of a slow b
Adele Shea
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Upon reading some of the reviews on this book, I think some people have been abit harsh.
I do believe the sleep deprived mother was overly mention but I genuinely enjoyed the book and was hooked from the start.
Kat Dietrich

The Missing Wife by Sam Carrington is a psychological thriller.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Avon Books, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis: (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)
Louisa is tired. Perhaps having a second child at this age was a bad idea. When her husband Brian and her best friend Tiff throw her a 40th birthday party, Louisa is not happy
Rachel
*thank you to Netgalley, Sam Carrington and Avon Books UK for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

I struggled. This wasn't for me and I can't exactly out my finger on it as to why exactly but it didn't really flow well and my interest wasn't captured. I think the sypnosis sounded rather good but it just didn't live up to my expectation. It wasn't bad or anything but just not what I was after. 2.5 stars from me means it was a bit better than 'just ok.'
Dana-Adriana B.
Apr 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
All I can say is "poor Brian and good for the brain, which is helping us in a stressful situation".
This is a mystery book with a strange plot. Did not like Louisa at all, how can you, as a new mom, forget to feed your son? With all the sleep deprivation, I am telling you, you can't. And the finish.... is not I wanted from Louisa.
Chafic (Rello)
Thank you NetGalley and Avon Books UK for the ARC.

There's a lot to enjoy with The Missing Wife. You know exactly what kind of book you're getting based on the blurb alone - a psychological thriller with enough twists to keep you hooked until the very end.

It's an enjoyable read from start to finish which kept me turning the page, however, there were a few disagreements I had with the book.

The overall pacing of the story is inconsistent, some parts were tediously slow while the latter events towar
Mellisa
This is definitely worth a read, though not one I would probably read again. There was a lot happening within the actual story and at times I was little confused with it all. However, it was a good read and had some really good twists.

There's characters that can be relatable to people, such as a new mum Louisa struggling with a baby at 40 and having big gaps in her memory. There's her best friend Tiff, Louisa thinks Tiff is having an affair with her husband. There's her mysterious ex boyfriend
Karen
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
New mum Louisa is exhausted so when she finds out that a surprise 40th birthday party has been arranged for her from her Facebook friends list it’s the last thing she wants. Especially when she discovers that an old boyfriend from her university days, Oliver, has been invited – and has accepted.

She hasn’t seen Oliver for over 20 years and they didn’t part on the best of terms but he is married now; Louisa is married with a family of her own, surely it can’t hurt to speak to him again just for o
V_Nerdbooks
I really enjoyed this twisty little thriller, it had just enough of “is it him or her” vibe to it to keep me on the edge of my seat.

Louisa is about to turn 40 and is a brand new mother, her little Noah was an unexpected surprise but she loves him fiercely, even though she is completely exhausted.

Louisa seems to have forgotten what it was like to be a new mother, considering her daughter is now a teenager, and all of the sleep deprivation seems to be taking a toll on her, she is forgetting things
Shalini
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
This was quite a different read, slow moving at parts and then fast at others. Louisa an exhausted mom, had a surprise party thrown by her friend where everyone was invited including ex and his wife. The wife went missing and everyone had a different tale to tell.

My first book by Sam Carrington, saw me turning pages fast to get to the twisty parts. Overall I enjoyed it barring a few parts.
Lainy
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Time taken to read - 1 day

Pages - 400

Publisher - Avon

Source - Review copy

Blurb from Goodreads

You think you know those closest to you. You are wrong…

But when her friend Tiff organises a surprise party, inviting the entire list of Louisa’s Facebook friends, Louisa is faced with a room full of people she hasn’t spoken to in years – including someone she never expected to see again: he
Mridula Gupta
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
'The Missing Wife' left me conflicted and baffled with its predictable plot, flawed characters and small moments of surprise.

A new mother, Louisa life can be best known as a complaining mom who can barely get through the day because hew baby won't let her sleep. For the first few pages, we listen to go on and on about how all she wants is a break but is too concerned about her child to take one. We also find out that she suspects her husband of an affair, when in fact her husband is silently pla
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
Don’t even trust your own best friend with your Facebook password or you could end up being the subject of a surprise party where all the people on your friends list, some that you have not even seen in 20 years, and some that you don’t even really know, have been invited!!

Her husband Brian and best friend Tiff mean well, but Louisa who is suffering from exhaustion, due to the unexpected arrival of her second child Noah, and raising her teenage daughter Emily, is struggling to put one foot in fr
Meggy - Chocolate'n'Waffles
What would it take to destroy your family?

Sleep-deprived doesn’t begin to describe Louisa’s state as she faces the joys of being a mom for the second time around her forties. With a teenager in the house, a busy husband, and a little boy to take care of, she is exhausted and living one day at a time. They say late pregnancies are more common every year, but they don’t say it is easy, and with a huge gap between her two kids, Louise is struggling to meet everyone’s demands. She doesn’t get much h
Jannelies
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
The Missing Wife does not fulfill every promise to the readers. It is a nice enough read, but sometimes the reading is slow because of all the whining and moaning of Louisa, and sometimes things happen really fast, such as the ending. It is all a bit unbalanced in my view.
I'm not a mother so I wouldn't know about being too tired to do anything during the day but Louise takes this to a higher level, I think. Half of the time she doesn't know what she is doing because of being so tired, but the o
Haley Campbell
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I need to stop reading thrillers before bed. I had some very wonky dreams after reading this one! Louisa doesn’t remember much from her past and, after the awful party her best friend threw her, her lapses in memory only get worse. Often times throughout the book I doubted what was real and what was fake. Add in the mystery of Melissa (Oliver’s wife) gone missing, this book is sure to make you scratch your head.
I really enjoyed the slow unraveling of Louisa’s past. The author doesn’t give any
Kath
Jun 23, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 stars but rounded down.
I'm still not quite sure about this book even nearly a week after finishing. Yes, on the whole I did sort of enjoy it but, at the same time, there was just so much that simply didn't work for me along the way. With an ending that seemed to degenerate a bit into farce. It also didn't help that I failed to connect with pretty much all of the main characters so there wasn't even that lifeline for me to hold on to. We start with Louisa, new mother, suffering sleep deprivat
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it, net-galley
This is my first but certainly not my last read by this author.

Louisa is about to turn forty. She’s a new mum to Noah and has a teenage daughter Emily. Louisa’s friend Tiff decides to throw a 40th birthday party for her.

Louisa has all the struggles of being a mum to a newborn. With Louisa’s ex turning up at the party and Louisa drinking too much her nightmare is just about to begin as her ex’s wife disappears.

Great read from start to finish.
Aashruti K.c
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The story line was okayish. I found the story a bit longer and explained a bit much maybe .
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Housekeeper
  • The Nanny
  • The Third Mrs. Durst
  • The Thorn Girl
  • Stolen (Lucy Clayburn, #3)
  • Her Missing Child
  • Without a Trace
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Best Friends Forever
  • The Child Before
  • The Mothers
  • Someone Else's Baby
Sam Carrington lives in Devon with her husband, two border terriers and a cat. She has three adult children and a new grandson! She worked for the NHS for fifteen years, during which time she qualified as a nurse. Following the completion of a psychology degree she went to work for the prison service as an Offending Behaviour Programme Facilitator. Her experiences within this field inspired her wr ...more