Start by marking “Ice: Chilling Stories from a Disappearing World” as Want to Read:
Ice: Chilling Stories from a Disappearing World

Ice: Chilling Stories from a Disappearing World

From the mighty mammoths and deserts of ice to early explorers and polar survival, come face to face with one of Earth's greatest resources: ice.

With captivating CGIs, illustrations, and photography, DK's Ice will take readers on an epic journey from the ice age to modern day, exploring how icy worlds are created, how creatures live in these harsh environments and the impa
Published September 3rd 2019 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)

To ask other readers questions about Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ice

Montzalee Wittmann
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ice: Chilling Stories from a Disappearing World by DK Publishing is a book I requested from NetGalley and the review is voluntary. This book is hot, or COOL! Really cool in fact! It takes the reader from prehistoric times to today and from pole to pile exploding everything ice! They explore everything that has lived in ice, grew on ice, walked on ice, lived under ice, well...you get my meaning. The pictures are totally amazing! Some seem to be alive! That's what caught my attention is the fabulo ...more
The title, really, says it all. The ice that has been at the arctic and antarctic are vanishing in our lifetimes, and taking with it stories, and wildlife, and a way of life for people.

This is an amazing book showing that has gone before, in pre-historic times, as well as what is currently vanishing. Large pictures, with notes on each item in the picture make this an easy and informative read.

It turns out, there is quite a lot to be learned. Who knew, for example, that there are different types
Etienne
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A small but well organized and explain documentary on ice. It covers the basics information on what is ice, the ice age, animal living in an ice/snowy world, how humans live there too, etc. Lot of information, all easy to understand do to summarize content and vocabulary. There is also good quality picture to help represent it all in our mind. Well done!
Sharon Tyler
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ice: Chilling Stories from a Disappearing World from DK Publishing was written by Laura Buller, Andrea Mills, and John Woodward. It is currently scheduled for release on September 3 2019. This comprehensive book can teach readers about early humans and how they survived in one of the most hostile environments on Earth, the tragic and treacherous journeys of early polar explorers, how icy landscapes develop and change, and meet the animals who make these frozen lands their home. Detailed annotati ...more
Janet
May 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Jennifer Fischer
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ice is the latest nonfiction title from DK Publishing. I was especially excited about the opportunity to review this book because my students have recently been reaching for the older DK books available in our school library. The modern look of the cover will certainly entice students to pick this book up. The table of contents is divided into "Prehistory", "The Frozen World", "Animals on Ice", and "Humans on Ice" which includes a variety of information including ice ages, evolution, habitats, e ...more
Cindy Lauren
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Most excellent: every since I learned there were at least 9 kinds of ice- this was in class in college in the 70's- I have been fascinated with ice.

This is a lovely compendium about ice, how it is formed, what it can, and can't do. Ice has been a larger and smaller part of Earth since it formed, and its future may be in jeopardy in ways we can't imagine.

Short, sweet, to the point, excellent. thank you
Mary
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With all the discussion happening now about climate change, this book is very timely. Though it is geared toward children, there is a lot of information that would benefit adults. Be a very good reference book for use in classroom assignments. Love the clarity of the graphics but especially the details, e.g. Emperor Penguin can grow to be 4 feet tall. That means this penguin would be up to my waist... wow! Another great nonfiction book by DK Publishing.
I received an advanced reader copy from Net
Jason Muckley
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Ice" by DK is a fascinating read on prehistorical ice ages and then present day and the effect of global warming on the ice landscapes around the world. The book details various areas around the world where the ice is a dominant feature and how it affects the habitats of the plants and animals living in the ice.

Overall, the book tells a dismal story of the world we live in and the effects of the rapidly changing ice landscape around us.

I received this eBook free of charge from DK via NetGalley
Ann
Jun 05, 2019
Raymond Library
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book provides a great look at different animals that live on ice, what happens when ice thaws, information about the tundra, and interesting facts about the Ice Age.

Dorling Kindersley (DK) is a British multinational publishing company specializing in illustrated reference books for adults and children in 62 languages. It is part of Penguin Random House, a consumer publishing company jointly owned by Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA and Pearson PLC. Bertelsmann owns 53% of the company and Pearson owns 47%.

Established in 1974, DK publishes a range of titles in gen