Start by marking “Unforgotten” as Want to Read:
Unforgotten

Unforgotten

Lawyer Hugh Gwynne is facing his most difficult court case. His client Tom Deacon is claiming damages for post-traumatic stress after a car accident in which he witnessed the death of his young daughter. It seems certain Tom will win, but then Hugh receives an anonymous letter which throws him into an impossible dilemma. For Hugh the dilemma is intensified by the contrast ...more
Published October 22nd 2015 by Macmillan (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Unforgotten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unforgotten

Eric_W
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hugh Gwynne, in the middle of a court case, becomes obsessed with the idea that his wife, Lizzie, was killed by an arsonist. She had died in a fire at their home, a fire the police insisted was accidental, but nothing seemed to fit, there were too many things out of place.

In the meantime, his client, Tom Deacon, a war veteran claiming PTSD after a car crash in which he saw his daughter burned to death, is furious with Hugh because Hugh had revealed some negative information about Tom that thre
Hilary
Nov 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had to give up on this 60 pages in. Not for me at all. Too much court drama in great detail and never felt the story was going anywhere. I may be wrong and if so, I stand corrected. Life is too short to keep going on a book that does not hold your interest.
Jenny L
Sep 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-books
So very good. I seem to remember reading a Clare Francis years ago and enjoying it, this was no different. Great tale and great characters. Clever, believable twist. I will look out for more by her in the future.
Sridhar Babu
Jul 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author..
Clare Francis..
Location...
Bristol and London (U.K)..
Characters..
Hugh Gwynne, Tom Deacon, Lizze, Charlie, Lou, Montgomery, DI Steadman, Denzel Lewis
Genre..
Suspense, Thriller..
PLOT..
Lawyer Hugh Gwynne lives peacefully in a village nearby Bristol, with his wife Lizze and two adopted children Charlie and Lou. One day when he was away in London representing a case for his firm, Hugh's wife Lizze dies in fire accident in his house under suspicious circumstances. Police and fire brigade de
Iain  Edward Henn
Apr 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clare Francis writes crime fiction that has a haunting, ethereal quality to it, and that is certainly the case with this novel. The main character, Hugh Gwynne, is a lawyer who suffers a traumatic personal tragedy, whilst in the midst of an emotionally-charged child custody case for his client.

Readers of courtroom dramas should enjoy this, and for those unfamiliar with Ms. Francis, her style sometimes reminds me of the writing of fellow British author Robert Goddard, and the crime fiction of cla
Marie
May 14, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After five years, lawyer Hugh Gwynne's most difficult case has finally come to court. His client Tom Deacon is claiming damages for post-traumatic stress after a car accident in which he witnessed the death of his young daughter by fire. The case is going well, it seems certain Tom will win the compensation that will enable him to pick up the pieces of his shattered life. Then Hugh receives an anonymous letter that throws him into an impossible dilemma. To stay on the case is unethical, to withd ...more
Ant Koplowitz
Nov 12, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
It was a while since I last read a Clare Francis novel, and I can't, in all honesty, say that I was glad to have gone back to her. The plot of Unforgotten starts with a dreary civil court case about a chap suing an insurance company for a massive payout due to his apparent PTSD; I found this part of the story particularly tedious and almost gave up at that point. About a third of the way through the book shifts focus to Hugh, the main protagonist and solicitor, and his fight to discover who kill ...more
Trawets
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by Clare Francis that I can remember reading, and whilst it was a reasonable read, I can't say I will be searching out other books by this author.
It concerns a lawyer representing a client claiming damages for post traumatic stress following the death of his daughter in a horrific car accident. The lawyer's wife is then killed in a house fire which he is convinced was arson.
It was a good enough story but for me it lacked pace, it seemed ages before we got to the main plot,
Shonna Froebel
Hugh Gwynne is a lawyer working on the most difficult case of his career, claiming damages for his client, Tom Deacon, who is suffering from PTSD after being unable to save his young daughter from burning up in a car accident. Hugh and his wife Lizzie have raised two children, Charlie and Lou. Both children are adopted and Lou is doing well, although Charlie is getting past his drug addiction.
When something happens to throw Hugh's personal life into turmoil, he gives way to his instincts against
Kate
Oct 31, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-library
Upon completion the word that came to mind and stayed there two days after was, drum roll please….. average. Yep average in every way - not always a bad thing this was perfect to read before bed but not really one to rave about.

A moderately intriguing story line which took some time to build. Once we got there essentially it is about a dependable sort of chap representing a less than dependable chap claiming damages for post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). A few surprises follow that are best
Elizabeth Bailey
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the second Clare Francis book I read and I didn't enjoy it as much as Deceit. That said, I did enjoy it! I liked the hero very much, and found it hard to take when things changed for him drastically, though of course I realised we had been set up for it - clever writing! I found the build-up of the clues confusing, and the denouement was rushed for me.

I gather Clare Francis was ailing when she wrote this book, and perhaps that's why. I'd like to read more of her. I still think she write
Amanda Patterson
Is Post Traumatic Stress real?

Plagued by nightmares, guilt, depression and other PTS symptoms, Tom Deacon, tries to outsmart the legal system.
His lawyer, Hugh Gwynne faces his own personal tragedy during the trial and has to withdraw from the case as he uncovers police deception and corruption

Clare Francis creates great tension that is not resolved until the end. The two story lines can be confusing at times.
Ashley
Mar 30, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
#
NC
Own in paperback.

FS: "Hugh Gwynne arrived at the Royal Courts of Justice soon after nine thirty and made a quick intersection of the noticeboard and the location of Court 12 before stationing himself to one side of the Great Hall to wait for the rest of the team."

LS: "And in the moments when his mind wandered he would remember love and kindness, he would disallow the rest."
Judy
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good easy read, which one tends to dwell on after the book is finished. Clare Francis builds her plots around the sort of people one meets in everyday life and she does it very well indeed, creating interesting diversions around personality issues. Should probably be rated more than three stars.
Ann Tonks
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, england
I wasn't sure where this novel was going to take me as the early chapters were all focused on a particular court case and the murder, when it happened, was unexpected. What I liked most about this piece of crime fiction was the relationship between the lead protagonist and his family.
Jo
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

I really liked the last Clare Francis book I read, but I found this one disappointing, not really gripping, the two strands of plot seemed totally separate and neither was that interesting. Oh well.
Sharron
Jul 09, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Poor, poor, poor I'll be leaving it on the boat!
Spitz
Oct 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Felt like a final twist never happened, not very satisfying ending.
Kelly Mahaney
Good mystery detective story. Quick summer read.
Ben
Jul 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not her best but it was okay. Once again the male lead character had a couple of awkward moments...
Patrick Carroll
I like Claire Francis' novels, she manages to keep the tension going and hides the twists and tunrs of the plot well.
Rina Coetzee Gous
A good enough who dunnit/ thriller but i will not be rushing out to buy all her books
Gary Stovell
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well paced thoughtful novel

Written for readers who like strong characterisation developing as the intrigue unfolds and the story game rtf hers pace. Will read more by same author.
TC Correy
Nov 27, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I never got past page 30. I didn't like the writing. Sorry. Too many POV changes within a sentence, therefore no chance to actually connect with the MC. Sorry I couldn't leave a better rating.
James Findley
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fine read that kept my attention from start to finish. I thought I had it sorted but was thrown a curve at the end. Well done!!
Patricia
This was my first Clare Francis book I enjoyed it but it's not on my to read again list.
Eleni
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting with twists to the plot!
Sophie Houston
May 19, 2014
Sandra Gligoric
Oct 20, 2013
Joanne
rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Clare Francis's first novel; Night Sky was published in 1983 to international success. It went to number one in the Sunday Times bestseller list, and spent six weeks in the New York Times top 10.

Three more thrillers followed, Red Crystal (1985), Wolf Winter (1987) and Requiem (1991), which was published in the U.S. as The Killing Winds. Her first crime novel, Deceit was published in 1993, and dram