Start by marking “The Liar's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Liar's Daughter

The Liar's Daughter

Piper was raised in a cult.
She just doesn't know it.

Seventeen-year-old Piper knows that Father is a Prophet. Infallible. The chosen one.

She would do anything for Father. That's why she takes care of all her little sisters. That's why she runs end-of-the-world drills. That's why she never asks questions. Because Father knows best.

Until the day he doesn't. Until t
Published September 10th 2019 by Holiday House

Start your review of The Liar's Daughter
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

There's a video on YouTube called "Mind Control Made Easy" which is about the psychology of cult leaders. It's clearly low budget, but very well done in spite of that. I have never been 100% sure whether it was intended to be satirical/comedic or not, because while it is funny at times, that humor is rooted in a very dark truth: no matter how ridiculous what they are saying is, these tactics have worked before by real cult leaders.

I rea
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, Holiday House Publishing, Inc., via Edelweiss+ for an honest review.

“The window is no more than two feet wide and maybe half a foot tall. I can't squeeze through it. It's meant to let in sunlight, not hope.”

description

This is the story of a girls path to self-discovery.

The weaving of lies into truth.

The voices that are battered into ones brain so a person ceases to think for themselves.

It is the story of a life lost, a life gained, and the art of
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
5 SPECTACULAR STARS

Piper doesn’t realize she’s living in a cult. When she and the other children are rescued, she longs to return to Mother and Father.

Told in Before and After sections, Piper’s last days in the cult and her first days afterward tell the story of THE LIAR’S DAUGHTER. Megan Cooley Peterson hooked me from the first chapter and I immediately invested in Piper’s story. She was such a resilient young woman and my heart broke for the brainwashing she endured. I wanted to jump into the
Carlene Inspired
Piper knows her father is the Chosen One. He is a Prophet that is hoping to protect the people from the Government, from the poisonous food, from the radiation of cell phones. Living with the other children far from the community, Piper helps manage the other children and run end-of-the-world drills, preparing herself and the others for the day when they will be called upon. Only, that day doesn't come and Piper's father might not be telling the truth, because the Government has broken apart the ...more
OutlawPoet
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This is yet another book about a teen girl who suddenly discovers that she's been living in a cult and everything she thought she knew was wrong.

I did like the way the author told the story - we have two timelines here: basically in cult and after cult.

Unfortunately, there was nothing else really new about this. Don't go over the fence. The outside world is evil. Hey, kidnapping!

Some what should have shocked our girl when she got out didn't, but hey everyone uses cell phones.

I don't know. I just
Erin A. Craig
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a glorious sucker punch of a book!
 LEAH⇢
THE DETAILS●●●
● REALISTIC FICTION
● TWO TIMELINES --SAME POV (BEFORE & AFTER)
● A RAW, ENTRANCING LOOK AT LIFE IN A CULT
● BEFORE: FROM THE BRAINWASHING TO THE ABUSE
● AFTER: ADJUSTING TO NORMAL LIFE
● LENGTH OF AUDIO - 7 HOURS, 7 MINUTES
● I LISTENED ON LIBBY THROUGH MY LIBRARY

description

MY THOUGHTS●●●

You can tell that this book is well researched...it felt so realistic. An absolute triumph of a story. At the end of the book, there is an afterward where the author explains why she wrote this story and how s
Roxanne
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I picked this up on a whim, but it was better then I expected it to be and I thought a very honest and realistic portrayal of what a things would be like for someone in that type of situation.
Morgan
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Somewhere between a 3.5-4 stars!

I really enjoyed this book. It was unlike anything I’ve read before and felt like a realistic portrayal of what it’s like to grow up in a cult (since the author experienced a similar situation in their youth). The dual timelines kept me interested as the questions arose and were answered, the puzzle forming piece by piece. Not sure if the ending was meant to be a twist, but either way I saw it coming which would be disappointing if the intention was to surprise.
Cynthia
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
After the government swoops in and steals Piper from her family, a cult led by her charismatic and hypocritical father, she fights all that the “others” are now trying to teach her, determined to prove her loyalty to the man who has shaped all of her beliefs.

I think the author did a great job examining the effects of brainwashing through this story. While the surface story IS that Piper grew up in a cult, there is so much more to it than that. It’s a novel about figuring out who you are after h
Rabia Khan
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s been a while since I finished a book in one sitting. My concentration span is usually extremely short but this book held it and held it well. Great concept that was well written - although a few plot questions were left unanswered (for me). Overall would recommend!
Richelle Robinson
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Reading the blurb of this book piqued my interest since I have always had an interest in cults and how people get brainwashed and sucked into that lifestyle.

This book is told in before cult and after cult point of views which I really enjoyed. My heart broke for Piper because she was pretty much ripped from the only family and lifestyle she has known and is now being told her whole life was a lie. I don’t blame her for lashing out throughout this story at all. I did feel sorry for her mother an
Jordan
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So. Freaking. Good
Jude (NovelReader13)
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
If I'm perfectly honest, I kind of picked this up on a whim, because it was available on Audible Stories and I had never read a book about this subject matter.
It felt well researched with regards to some of the emotional trauma and as a result the storytelling felt really raw. The audio narrator also did a great job of expressing all of the emotions and I really enjoyed listening to this. 4🌟
Ivy
May 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Piper was raised in a cult. She just doesn't know it.

Piper knows Father is a Prophet, the chosen one, infallible. Like everyone in the community, she would do anything for him. That's why she never asks questions. Father knows best.
Until one day the government raids the compound, seperates Piper from her siblings, Mother, the Aunts, the community, from Caspian, the boy she loves and from Thomas, the one she was to marry.
Now she has to live outside, with a woman holding her hostage while claimi
Annabel Rianne
Apr 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, audiobooks
Wow, this was really good!
I didn't expect anything from this book when I started. I just used the Audible free trial to listen to an audiobook, something I'd never done before. I had to get used to it at first, listening to a book being very different from reading one, but damn it was enjoyable. I listened to the last 4 (out of 7) hours of audiobook today, in 2 sittings (on my free day)! The story was gripping, a mild psychological thriller about a girl who's living in a cult but doesn't know it
Megan
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
I listened to the audiobook. It was perfectly performed. I experienced the passion, confusion, and realisation with the character. A good introduction to books focusing on characters involved in a cult. A good adolescent friendly introduction to this real life issue.
Becky
Apr 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was nothing like anything I've ever read before, and I loved it! A very enjoyable read!
Susan
Jun 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
I received an Advanced Readers Copy from the publisher.

This book was hard to put down. I finished in two days, even though they were days filled with commitments. I have read several non-fiction books by people raised in cults (weird, I know), and this fiction book is a good complement. It does not focus much on the cult itself or its beliefs, but more on the experience of one girl in the community. Despite a few misgivings, she is very dedicated to the community and wants to return once she is
Claire Olivia
4.5 stars, rounding up to 5

Piper is the most lifelike character I've read about in quite a while. She has such layered emotions, doubts, and fears. It's hard to read about what she goes through, but that's what captivated me as a reader.

I like how the book is divided into sections, Before and After, and alternates chapters from each. At the beginning, I found myself really wanting to read just the "before" chapters, but by the end I was looking forward to the "after" ones the most. It felt like
TJL
I feel like this would have been more surprising if the blurb on the cover, and the summary on the dust cover, didn't give the major plot points away.
Cari
Feb 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really engrossing story alternating between past and present so you can pick up the pieces the same way the narrator does.
OjoAusana
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2020
Really interesting book especially with the info in the authors note! Really interesting book and characters like just wild lol
Paige
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobooks
My first YA book in a very long time, and I was not disappointed! The genre became repetitive and boring for me so I stopped reading it altogether. Gems like this are what the genre should be about!
Whilst I predicted what was going to happen early on, I was still engaged with Piper and her story. She was a complex character and I truly felt for her and the other children, and felt a great curiosity towards the cult leaders. A main-character led story that would offer a great deal for the target
Katie
Three stars because i'm not sure this will stick with me, BUT it stuck me as a very realistic depiction of how it would be if you do suddenly are asked to question everything you grew up believing. It is NOT an easy transition and this book shows that.
Amber
May 09, 2020 rated it liked it
I found this rather entertaining despite the cringey teen talk and cliches and I thought the characters were surprisingly well developed.
Lauren Herzog
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good storyline alternating before and after being taken from her home- where she is being raised in a cult.
Holly Hillard
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was a little predictable, but such a good story. My juniors at school have been listening to the audiobook. The story itself is about a girl who is rescued from a cult, but doesn’t trust the outside world. The bigger takeaways though are about the importance of trusting yourself, questioning authority, and taking care of your mental health.
Mari Johnston
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This review and many others can also be found at Musings of a (Book) Girl.

Content Warnings: kidnapping, child abuse, talk of nuclear war

If cults are something you’re interested in, even just slightly, then Megan Cooley Peterson’s young adult debut, The Liar’s Daughter, is one you need to pick up. Only a few short hours passed from the time I started reading to the last page. Piper’s story is so compelling that I had no choice but to read it all right there and then.

The Community is truth.
The
Barbara
Many readers, especially teens, are fascinated by what draws humans to cults or religious sects. In this novel narrated by seventeen-year-old Piper, they might not find all the answers to those particular questions, but they will learn some of what makes them appealing to their members. The author does a fine job of describing the disorientation experienced by Piper once she is no longer living with the individuals she has known as Father and Mother as well as how hard it is for her to trust her ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Seven Days
  • My Almost Flawless Tokyo Dream Life
  • Among the Fallen
  • The Witchcraft of Salem Village
  • Winter White (Belles, #2)
  • The Last Confession of Autumn Casterly
  • When She Returned

News & Interviews

“But was loving him worth the pain of losing him?"
"Absolutely. we gave Ralphie a wonderful life filled with lots of love, and he gave us unconditional love back.”
0 likes