Start by marking “Santa Duck” as Want to Read:
Santa Duck

Santa Duck

Nicholas Duck loves Christmas, and he is happy to try on the new Santa hat that?s mysteriously delivered to his house. But when his friends see him and immediately launch into their Christmas lists, he doesn?t know what to do . . . until he runs into Santa himself.

Published September 11th 2008 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Santa Duck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Santa Duck

Start your review of Santa Duck
Kathryn
Dec 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a cute, fun little story about a duck who inadvertently becomes "Santa" for awhile. The humor reminds me a bit of Mo Willems with amusing little asides and kooky but lovable animal characters. I also love that the "spirit of giving" is alive in this book--but so is the joy of receiving! It's all well and good for children to learn that the best part of Christmas is sharing love and abundance--but, come on, when I was a kid I was TOTALLY the MOST excited to open MY presents! I appreciate ...more
Joenna
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool
Nicholas Duck is very excited for Christmas. He opens up his door a couple days before Christmas and finds a package with a santa hat inside. He puts it on, and all of his animal friends think he is Santa! They tell what they want, give him lists, and bother him all the time. Nicholas even tries to pawn off the hat onto another animal, but is stuck with it. On Christmas Eve he's had enough, and then he runs into Santa. Nicholas Duck relays all the lists from all the animals, and is a big help to ...more
Dolly
Dec 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, christmas, 2010
This is a fun story about a duck who becomes one of Santa's helpers. The illustrations are fairly simple, but they are very cute. And combined with a dialogue-heavy narrative, the story is a hit with younger readers. Great story to read aloud at Christmastime.
Christine
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Duck receives a Santa hat and coat, which he happily puts on. When everyone keeps stopping him and telling him what they want for Christmas, it takes him a while to figure out why and he becomes annoyed. Cute story about helping others.
Pablo V
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The door and her was good
Rachael Terry
Cute story with short sentences about farm animals thinking a duck is Santa.
Heidi
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I find this book funny for several reasons. First, the things that the animals ask for, i.e. the chicken asks for a helicopter, a hot air balloon, and a hang glider, and a blimp. Second, the duck's confusion about why the animals are sharing their Christmas lists with him. Third, the ending, which I won't mention here so as not to spoil it, just know it is quite amusing. The children I've shared this with quite enjoyed it. The illustrations are very appealing and suit the story quite well. The ...more
Mary
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nicholas the duck is given a Santa suit and suddenly everyone sees him as Santa Duck. He is bombarded by animals giving him their Christmas lists; for instance, the turtle wants a really fast racing car while the rabbit wants a giant carrot cake "the size of a football field." Observant readers will appreciate the last page where all the animals are enjoying their gifts. Don't be surprised to hear young listeners singing "Jingle quack, jingle quack, Jingle all the quack." A humorous Christmas ...more
Rachael Fluke
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: holiday
Joy
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this in the Schoalstic book club for a $1 and decided to get it for my girls. We read it and my 7 year old really loved it.

Duck receives a package with a Santa suit in it. After he puts it on, all the animals start telling him what they want for Christmas. Duck has been looking for Santa anyway to tell him what he wants for Christmas but ends up relaying the animals' requests instead. Santa makes Duck his helper.
Ina
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
Nicholas Duck finds a mysterious package on his front porch and that is the start of an interesting adventure for Mr. Duck. The text is filled with humor, beginning with Nick singing "Jingle Bells" as only a duck could "Jingle Quack, Jingle Quack, Jingle all the Quack" (later it is sung in a similar fashion by a cow) The illustrations are bright and filled with fun, and the character's lists for Santa brought smiles to the faces of my story time audience. Very imaginative and very funny.
Jennifer Kelley
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Nicholas Duck gets a Santa suit as a present, and while trying to find Santa he is mistaken for Santa, with other animals giving him their Christmas lists. Will Nicholas find Santa in time to avoid another year of socks and underwear as gifts?

Cute! The preschoolers have enjoyed this one in our storytime!
Jenny
Nicholas the duck sets off to find Santa to tell him his Christmas wish. But on his doorstep he finds a Santa hat. He puts it on his head and sets off...but all the animals think he is Santa Duck and tell him their wishes. Will Nicholas ever find Santa and share his own wish and pass on the other animals wishes?

I thought the storytelling was okay. The pictures were not my favorite.
Hannah Cobb
Dec 21, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime
Nicholas Duck receives a mysterious package containing a Santa hat and coat--but when he puts them on, all his animal friends think he is Santa! Nicholas just wants to find the real Santa so he can deliver his own Christmas wish list. Lively illustrations and humorous dialogue make this a great read-aloud, especially if you use different voices for all the animals.
The Library Lady
Dec 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
The poultry seem to be taking over this Christmas--there are several duck/goose books out. This one is bright, funny, simple enough for a toddler but with enough sass for older kid/grownup appeal as well.
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Duck finds a Santa suit and hat, so he puts it on. But now all the animals are asking him for presents for Christmas thinking he is Santa, which increasingly frustrates him, done humorously through his comments. He finally runs into Santa and passes along the lists.
Dana
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Jingle quack, jingle quack, jingle all the quack! If you go to see Santa this year and hear, "quack, quack, quack" instead of "ho, ho, ho," you've just visited Santa Duck. But don't worry, he'll make sure to pass along your Christmas list to the man himself.
Audrey J
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like Santa duck Because everybody thought that said that's what I said the real Santa but it wasn't so everybody asked him what they wanted like they were cherry wood chitchatting to check in and am I that's how why I like the book .
Becky H.
Jul 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, 2008, 2009
This is a fun book that we have at the library. My kids enjoyed it in December so when I found it on the clearance table while on vacation I had to get it. Then I read it to my nephews and they thought it was funny too.
Nancy
Dec 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, animals
This is a cute book, where a duck gets a package with a Santa jacket and hat. The other animals keep telling Santa Duck what they want for Christmas. In the end he learns who gave him the suit, and what that person wants him to do in the future.
Sara Harrison
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, christmas
This is a really sweet book that uses Santa to talk about helping others. Everyone thinks Duck is Santa's helper so they tell him their lists. What happens in the end is so sweet!
Kristina
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this was a cute book. My kids and I enjoyed reading this book. I thought the story was cute and easy to follow along with. I would recommend this book to others.
Miss Erica
GR Level: NA

Elementary: E MIL

This is a cute book about how Santa Duck becomes one of Santa Clause's most important helpers!
Rachel
Jan 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Holiday story. Cute. Good message (its better to give than receive)
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Dec 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Duck did not know what he was in for when he puts on the hat and jacket, but he learns something new about Christmas and Santa as a result. This one made me chuckle.
D.peabody
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I like this one. The final page gave me a giggle.
Dubovoyalena
Funny story that teaches students about the american culture and the way Christmas is celebrated in the united states
Amy
Dec 17, 2012 marked it as picture-books-read
My boys could not stop laughing, which meant I couldn't stop either (I find their laughter so contagious): http://sunlitpages.blogspot.com/2012/...
Jordan
Nov 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Flightless Birds, Cows, Hustlas
Jingle quack!
Jingle quack!
Jingle ALL the quack!

Buy this title from Powell's Books.
Pam
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
A humorous wonderful story about the true meaning of Christmas!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Dinosaur vs. Santa
  • Ten Little Christmas Presents
  • Over and Under the Snow
  • Katy and the Big Snow
  • Guess Who's Coming to Santa's for Dinner?
  • The Great Santa Stakeout
  • Happy Pig Day! (Elephant & Piggie, #16)
  • The Legend of the Poinsettia
  • Stick and Stone
  • Clark the Shark Loves Christmas
  • I am Invited to a Party! (Elephant & Piggie, #3)