Start by marking “All Through the Night (Holiday Classics)” as Want to Read:
All Through the Night (Holiday Classics)

All Through the Night (Alvirah and Willy #3)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  6,201 Ratings  ·  230 Reviews
Mary Higgins Clark, the Queen of Suspense, celebrates the season with this Christmas classic featuring two of her most beloved characters.

All of Alvirah's deductive powers and Willy's world-class common sense are called upon as the two stumble into a Christmas mystery. A woman abandons her newborn at a Manhattan church. Simultaneously, a thief is absconding with a treasur
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published October 1st 1999 by Pocket Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about All Through the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Through the Night

Inkvotary
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, hc, i-o-a-c, bp
Inkvotary

A nice and lovely christmas story. Alvirah is smart and wonderful as ever and her way to solve problems really charming. And Stellina is a beautiful girl.
Mary Higgins Clark wrote this novel in a nice, soft tone and used her style she became famous for. Decent, with some little action but no blood or other things like that. Stellina is such a cutie. She loves her Nonna very much and feels by instinct that her father isnt really a good guy.

If you like to read such stories around Christ
Jan
Dec 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit, own-copy
This book was a gift from a dear friend; I would never have bought it for myself. While I enjoyed Mary Higgins Clark many, many years ago, her sappy, HEA, light-hearted stories are not my usual fare. They are, however, great mind candy and fulfill the need too read a Christmas book. I didn't warm to Alvirah's character for some reason, although I think she and her husband, Wally, are clearly a devoted couple and Wally suffers his wife's intrusion into anything she considers a mystery. The sunbur ...more
Gabriela
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Another cute and short Christmas story by Mary Higgins Clark. I am a big fan of her mystery novels and it's always so great to find her short stories to pass the time between reads (or to complete reading goals at the end of the year lol). A good recommendation for Christmas time!
Amy
Jan 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
I think this type of book is why I stopped reading Mary Higgins Clark...It was so cheesy!!
Leah
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: All ages who enjoy uber sweet stories
From my review on Unleash the Flying Monkeys!

A sweet holiday tale that may prove too predictable and lighthearted for hardcore fans of the thriller-mystery genre or Higgins Clark’s previous novels.

What I Liked Most

All Through the Night had a solid beginning and ending; there were questions for which I wanted answers. I’ll admit I even teared up a bit at the end. There was a positive vibe that warmed my heart which, as a Christmas story, it was probably meant to do.

What I Liked Least

During my tee
Tony
May 23, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Mary Higgins Clark- All Through the Night (Simon & Schuster 1998) 2.5 Stars

This was my first Mary Higgins Clark novel and I have to say that I was not overly impressed. I will be trying other novels by her in the future, but they had better be a more enjoyable mystery than this one. The cover said, ‘suspense story’, but it was not in the least bit suspenseful. A musician gives up her baby to pursue her career, leaving it on the church doorstep. At the same time a young kid is robbing the ch
LuAnn
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
In some circles, this book would be considered a novella because of the length, but don’t let that fool you. This is a complete story that will equal any book of twice as many pages.
Alvirah Meehan is back to use her amateur sleuth skills to solve yet another mystery. This time, it begins when a baby is left at the doorstep of a church and the thief who is there to steal a treasured chalice takes the newborn home with him. He raises the girl as his own, but years later, the mother returns and tri
Li'l Owl
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
This is a very nice, cozy mystery. I really enjoyed the lighthearted Christmas theme. It doesn't take very long to read it, which is nice. It only took me a couple of hours to read, once I actually had time to sit down! I had a feeling I knew how it would end, but it didn't take away from the story. =o)
Toni Osborne
Feb 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
I found this story slow, boring, and very predictable; the ending is evident from the start. I occasionally read Miss Higgins books but this one I have to admit should have stayed at the book store.
Ashlee Telschow
Dec 06, 2011 rated it liked it
hidefan
Sep 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
La Estrella Robada es un relato corto de Mary Higgins Clark que está protagonizado por uno de sus personajes habituales, la detective aficionada Alvirah Meehan junto a su marido Willy.

En esta ocasión no encontramos ningún asesinato, sino que el misterio, o misterios porque son dos, van por otros derroteros. Por un lado, Alvirah intenta echar una mano a una amiga que acaba de heredar la casa de su hermana y planea dejársela a la cuñada de Willy, que es monja, para utilizarla como centro social pa
Shalet Jimmy
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
All through the night – Mary Higgins Clark

It was a winter night. Christmas is round the corner and it's the night she decided to abandon her infant, neverthless to say, with a heavy heart. She was just 18 years old. With no other alternative left, she decided to leave her baby at St.Clement's rectory. She wanted the baby to grow in New York with a lovely family. She loved the place and was wanting to come back once she could stand on her own feet.

Her plan was to leave the baby and then alert the
Kimberly
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this diamond of a Christmas book. Ive read this one twice, with many years between both reads and reading it the second time felt familiar but completely new. A good book can do that.
This book had two situations going on throughout. One a forged will and two an infant left in a paper bag outside of a Rectory.
I really enjoyed this and it added lots of joy to my already full heart of Christmas spirit.
Lybo Buchanan
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
An Alvirah & Willy mystery revolving around a precious stolen church chalice & a newborn left on the steps of the church.
Carol
Feb 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad. Quick read. Kept my interest.
Linda
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very good book, I enjoyed it and I LOVED the ending!!
James Rody'
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
No soy mucho de leer este tipo de historias pero esta me ha sorprendido y encantado. Es estupendo como estas pistas inconexas al final nos ayudan a resolver este enigma. La detective Alvirah es increíble, capaz de resolver cualquier caso que le asignen. Junto con su esposo Willy, hace un gran equipo. Stellina es encantadora.
Una novela que está muy bien lograda. No le sobran ni faltan páginas.
Ila*
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lessi questo breve romanzo parecchi anni fa e ricordo che mi piacque, sia per la scrittura, semplice e chiara, sia per quel tocco di delicatezza nell'affrontare le tematiche che presenta. Si legge veramente in poche ore. A distanza di tempo non smentisco questa impressione. Consigliato per chi ha voglia di svagarsi con qualche lettura leggera ma a tema natalizio :)
Eva
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biblioteca, cartacei
Una storiella mystery a sfondo natalizio. Carinissima!
Patti
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
very good story for the holidays. quick read. i enjoyed it.
Chris
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
A nice short story with a happy ending. A quick read, also.
Rob
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved It
Joanna
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Bon petit livre qui se lit rapidement.
Vanessa Kay
Mar 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
After the success of her first holiday book Silent Night, Mary Higgins Clark, America’s Queen of Suspense, introduced her second holiday suspense book All Through the Night.

The story revolves around Clark’s most beloved characters; Alvirah, a cleaning lady turned lottery winner, turned amateur sleuth, and her husband Willy.

The story begins when a woman abandoned her newborn at a Manhattan Church. Simultaneously, inside the church, a young man is stealing a treasured artifact, a chalice adorned w
Mary
Apr 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes contemporary mysteries
Recommended to Mary by: Library Book Sale
A young unmarried woman leaves her newborn baby on the rectory doorstep of a church on Manhattan's Upper West Side. At that same moment, inside the church, a young man is in the process of stealing a treasured artifact - a chalice adorned with a single star-shaped diamond. Both the infant and the chalice subsequently disappear.

Seven years later, a few weeks before Christmas - lottery winner turned amateur sleuth - Alvirah Meehan and her husband Willy, are busy helping Willy's sister Cordelia - a
Lisa
Dec 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I read this book as part of my Holiday Reading Challenge hosted by All About {n}. I love Holiday related novels and I have been disappointed with the Holiday novels I've chosen so far, so I decided to go with a trusted author this time.

All Through The Night was a quick, easy read. It fulfilled it's purpose and got me in the Holiday spirit. The plot was a little cheesy with Alvirah being a former cleaning lady, turned lottery winner, turned amateur sleuth having to solve two crimes in time for C
Sara G
I read this book for the A Book A Day Keeps the Boredom at Bay challenge. 12– 12 days of Christmas. Read a book about Christmas, Christmas songs or that has a cumulative title, like Once Bitten, Twice Shy. 12 is also the governmental perfection. Read a book with a character or author named as one of the 12 Apostles, or set in Israel. There are 12 zodiacal signs. Read a book with zodiac or one of the signs on the cover or in the title.

This is a short, sweet, predictable, fun Christmas mystery boo
Sol González
Comencé a leer a Mary Higgins Clark porque es una de esas autoras a las que siempre regresas cuando quieres algo sencillo y entretenido, además de que tenía todo un stock de libros por enviarle a mi mamá de ella... así que se me hizo fácil tomar uno de esos.

No había notado que Higgins Clark también tiene sus personajes recurrentes. Sus detectives aficionado encargados de resolver pequeños casos. Este fue el primer libro con el que me tope de esos personajes.

La historia es harto sencilla y muy se
April
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is not the type of book I would normally read but I have to admit I enjoyed it. I picked up mostly because it was a Christmas book and relatively short. It was listed as a mystery which I tend to gravitate to so I figured I would at least like it. I fell in love with the little girl in the book as well as the couple. The couple are your normal devoted, loving, caring couple. The woman is a journalist and I identified with her in some ways. I did think the use of the pin recorder was a bit o ...more
Blueberry
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: christmas, series
This was my first Mary Higgins Clark. It was a cute little Christmas mystery and my introduction to a continuing character, Alvirah Meehan, an elderly woman who likes to solve mysteries. There were a couple of story lines going at once: a child left on a parish doorstep 7 years earlier, a no-good con artist planning his next scam, a unusual benefactor to an inheritance, and a afterschool program losing it's home. All were entwined and wrapped up satisfactorily at the end.

• Silent Night: The Remarkable Christmas Truce of 1914
  • Popped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #7)
  • Let Me Whisper In Your Ear (KEY News #3)
  • The Christmas Box
  • A Christmas Secret (Christmas Stories, #4)
  • When Christmas Comes
  • Murder for Christmas
Mary Higgins Clark, #1 international and New York Times bestselling author, is the author of 46 books and counting: she’s written thirty-three suspense novels; three collections of short stories; a historical novel, Mount Vernon Love Story; two children’s books, including The Magical Christmas Horse; and a memoir, Kitchen Privileges. She has also written five holiday suspense novels with Carol Hig ...more
More about Mary Higgins Clark...

Alvirah and Willy (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Weep No More, My Lady
  • The Lost Years
  • As Time Goes By
  • All By Myself, Alone

“live your life as if you may lose everything.” 115 likes
“Sometimes it's enough just to know that if you believe hard enough and long enough, your wishes can come true.” 1 likes