Start by marking “Thanku: Poems of Gratitude” as Want to Read:
Thanku: Poems of Gratitude

Thanku: Poems of Gratitude

This poetry anthology, edited by Miranda Paul, explores a wide range of ways to be grateful (from gratitude for a puppy to gratitude for family to gratitude for the sky) with poems by a diverse group of contributors, including Joseph Bruchac, Margarita Engle, Cynthia Leitich Smith, Naomi Shihab Nye, Charles Waters, and Jane Yolen.
Published September 3rd 2019 by Millbrook Press (Tm)

To ask other readers questions about Thanku, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thanku

Start your review of Thanku: Poems of Gratitude
Debbie
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanku: Poems of Gratitude is illustrated by Marlena Myles (Myles is Spirit Lake Dakota/Mohegan/Muscokee Creek) and edited by Miranda Paul.

First, what I want you to notice when you look at the cover is the order of the names of the people who illustrated and edited the book. Myles's name is shown first. I don't think I've seen that before... and I like it! I might look for information about that arrangement. It is unusual but elevates art and artists. In recent months I've seen many people ask u
Patti Richards
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I'm so proud to be one of the poets on this project. This diverse group of authors brings together the spirit of gratitude in just-right ways for even the youngest reader or listener. It is my hope that parents and teachers use the book to help their children/students see the importance of thankfulness and to introduce them to exciting poetic forms. Thanks to Miranda Paul for making this book happen. ...more
Mary Lee
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, poetry
This book inspired my 2019 Thanku/Haiku-a-Day.
Petra Fuentes
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thanku: Poems of Gratitude edited by Miranda Paul and illustrated by Marlena Myles. Some of the many contributors include, Traci Sorell, Diana Murray, Jamie McGillen, Sun Yung Shin, Naomi Shihab Nye, Carolyn Dee Flores and Jane Yolen. This is a themed collection of poems exploring different ways of being grateful. The first poem "Giving Thanks" is in didactic form, its about giving thanks every day of the year. The collection includes different poetic forms and literary devices such as: concrete ...more
Michelle Schaub
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m always thankful when I find a new children’s poetry collection, and I’m especially grateful for Thanku The poems in this anthology look at the concept of thankfulness from all angles, both expected, like giving thanks at Thanksgiving and the unexpected, like a sweatshirt being grateful for a chance to be worn and appreciated. An added bonus: Miranda Paul has selected poems of a variety of formats and included an explanation of the forms at the back. What a great resource for classroom teache ...more
Maria Caplin
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the topic. Each poem is a unique style and named at the bottom of the page. Don’t miss the Poetic Forms dictionary at the back of the book.
Joseph Angel
“Thanku: Poems of Gratitude” by various authors and edited by Miranda Paul is an illustrated picture book completed in 2019 that has won several awards including: ALA Notable Children's Book 2020, Notable Books for a Global Society Notable Book 2020, and, Chicago Public Library Best of the Best Books 2019. I accessed the hardcover version of this text and highly recommend this format.

The book contains many poems by various authors all centering around the theme of gratitude. The book contains di
Chrissy
*Reviewed for Beehive Award Long List - Poetry Category*

I have a shelf here on Goodreads labeled "Award Bait." While that is not always a term of derision, here it most certainly is. When I think of a book that is out to win awards, this is the kind of work I think of.

Had this book been honest in being geared toward impressing adults, I would have been a lot more kind to it. But this is supposed to be a children's book. No. It is not a children's book. It is a book written solely to win awards i
Alicia Bayer
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a sweetly illustrated book of poems by diverse modern poets with the theme of thankfulness. Each poem is accompanied by brightly painted art. I really liked the fact that the bottom of the page named the type of poem, and a glossary was provided at the end explaining all of the different poem styles. In general, there really weren't any poems that really moved me, but the book has a lovely feel to it. The author points out that books about gratitude tend to only focus on autumn and Thank ...more
Becky
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
So, so beautifully illustrated! I requested a digital copy to read via Netgalley. The poets and poems are shared thoughtfully and also include descriptions of countless poetic forms that are labeled on each page. The literary devices are included in the back matter with definitions and question prompts so readers can try to compose their own. All contributors are also listed.

Miranda Paul shares her goals in her editing process as well as early memories of celebrating gratitude connected to Thank
Jenna Grodzicki
Apr 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of poems that all embody the theme of being thankful. From being thankful for friends, shoes, leaves, or rocks, each poem is as unique as the author who penned it. The poems also remind the reader that there are many things to be thankful for all year long. A must have for all classroom and library collections.
Teresa Barrera
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a cute book of short sweet poems about gratitude along with illustrations. It would be great for schools to add to their classes and having the teacher and kids read together as well as parents with young children.
Elaine
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book by a group of very talented authors. I love that the style of each of the poems is mentioned at the bottom of the page, which is a handy tool for teachers. (Teacher here!) Definitely one for the classroom! Highly recommend!
Rachel
A lovely range of poems from different authors.
Beverly
I liked that the poems came in a wide variety of poetry styles; and that each style was explained in the back matter.
Julie Hedlund
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous collection of poems to celebrate gratitude all year long. Fantastic for teaching different forms of poetry as well.
Margie
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Trust me, there is a time in your life, the younger the better, when you wake up each morning grateful to still be breathing with clothes to wear and food to eat in a home with the ability to keep you warm and cool when necessary. For this writer every day begins with the first of several mile walks with my canine companion. Today I am grateful for no encounter with the local bear. Time during the morning is spent connecting with friends on social media, some of whom I have never met. Yet, I am ...more
Kris Dersch
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was just lovely. Gentle but lovely illustrations with a wide variety of poetry all about gratitude. Most poems aren't Thanksgiving specific, but as the editor points out in her note in the back this book gets displayed around Thanksgiving so it gives a nice homage to the thoughts of the day without limiting itself. I mean, we bought it in November and read it in April and I think it would suit both seasons nicely.
I like that each poem notes briefly what kind of poem it is and you can look u
Elena
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Numerous poems written by a variety of authors, each poem has the theme of being thankful and showing gratitude for different things in life. Using lyrical language and instilling a sense of appreciation for basically everything we come across from day to day this poem picture book makes you take a step back from what you are doing and view things in another way. From objects to people to colors to animals these poems truly capture every aspect that life contains.

After reading the majority of po
Kaitlyn
Dec 03, 2019 added it
Shelves: poetry
Summary
This poetry anthology, explores many ways to express gratitude . The poems are written by a diverse group of authors in many different styles of poems.

Review
I really like the bright and inviting illustrations in this book. I also like the way each type of poem is labeled at the bottom of the page. Most importantly I like what this book stands for. To not just express gratitude on special occasions, but instead to express gratitude all the time. We have a lot to be thankful for even when i
Linda
Thirty-three poets from all over the world have been gathered together by Miranda Paul to show gratitude for varied things, in a variety of poem forms. Some are funny, like Janice Scully's clever "First Responder", about tape. Others give serious thought to a cultural nod to ancestors as well as Thanksgiving in "Stories for Dinner" by Cynthia Leitich Smith. Some give thanks to animals: "I'm Thankful for My Puppy" by Margarita Engle; come to nature: "Roy G. Biv" by Charles Waters; and "Autumn by ...more
Michelle Kidwell

Lerner Publishing Group

Millbrook Press ™

Children’s Fiction , Poetry

Pub Date 03 Sep 2019

I am reviewing a copy of ThankU (Poems Of Gratitude) through Lerner Publishing Group/Millbrook Press and Netgalley:

In this small collection of poetry many ways to show gratitude are expressed everything from gratitude to our families, gratitude for the obstacles we face and gratitude for our family.

Though brief this collection has a powerful message one that needs to be s
Kathy
Thanku: Poems of Gratitude is a beautifully illustrated book of poetry for children age 6+. I thoroughly enjoyed not only the illustrations, but the poems themselves which are from many different cultures and written in a wide variety of poetic formats.

I especially appreciated that the type of poetic format was named on the page of each poem and explained in the glossary. The glossary also includes a brief biography of each poet. All in all, the book is very well done and gets a 5-star review fr
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Thanku, edited by Miranda Paul, is an enchanting anthology of gratitude poetry accompanied by gorgeous artwork. There are many things we have to be thankful for, and these poems can teach young readers how to be thankful for even the simplest things in life. Each poem is a different style. At the bottom of each page it tells what type of poem it was. I was so tickled that pantoum was included! That's one of my favourite types to write.

Highly recommended!

***Many thanks to Netgalley and Lerner Pu
Claire
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am blown away by the beauty of this book, from the poems to the illustrations! I love how every poem is in a different style - the notes in the back of the book introduced me to forms of poetry I wasn't aware of before, including sijo poetry and cinquains, and would make this book useful for an elementary or middle school classroom unit on poetry. The illustrations are gorgeous and full of interesting details - you can revisit the pages multiple times and pick up on something new at each read. ...more
Amanda
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Inhaling deeper, Finding more,
all the poetry and the poems.
Which caused my heart
to STOP and look?
The poetry or the poems?
My mind was tickled by the forms
of the poetry and the poems.
But at the end of the book,
was it the Poetry? Or the Poems?

Thank you to the authors and to Miranda Paul for this most excellent compilation that taught me so many new forms of poetry and enriched my morning and made my heart smile.
Sally
The opening and closing poems are by Joseph Bruchac (a favorite).
Each poem has a note about its format, at the end, each poetic form or literary device is explained/discussed.
Each contributor is also noted in a paragraph.

The editor includes a note to parents and educators - thankfulness isn't just about Thanksgiving.

I borrowed an e-edition from Seattle Public Library. I'd say this would be a good addition to any elementary library.
Anne
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely collection of poetry for children (and adults too!) about being grateful and living a life of gratitude… Not just for the month of November! Beautifully illustrated also. Great discussion starters for any classroom.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author and publisher for an advanced reading copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
Glenda
Nov 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Although marketed as a children’s picture book of poetry, “Thanku: Poems of Gratitude” offers all budding poets, regardless of age, a primer on writing familiar and new forms. I’m excited to try some of the forms I learned while reading. Recommend this collection for ELA teachers of all levels. Love the tutorials in the back and the gorgeous illustrations by Marlena Myles, too.
Kate Hastings
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, writing
Everyone. Poems about recognizing the beauty around you and being thankful for the good things in life. This anthology includes many different types of poems and literary devices. I think my favorite was called Grati-dude. Every school library needs this book!
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please attribute book Thanku to correct author profile 3 226 Jan 09, 2019 10:17AM

• Your Place in the Universe
  • Out of Wonder: Poems Celebrating Poets
  • We Are Water Protectors
  • Kamala Harris: Rooted in Justice
  • Shirley Chisholm is a Verb!
  • Parker Looks Up: An Extraordinary Moment
  • The Teachers March!
  • Lift
  • Just Ask!: Be Different, Be Brave, Be You
  • Bear Came Along
  • Magnificent Homespun Brown: A Celebration
  • The Next President: The Unexpected Beginnings and Unwritten Future of America’s Presidents
  • A Map Into the World
  • Nana Akua Goes to School
  • The Oldest Student: How Mary Walker Learned to Read
  • Going Down Home with Daddy
  • I Am Every Good Thing
  • I Talk Like a River
See top shelves…
Miranda Paul has worked as a teacher, volunteer zookeeper, and freelance writer--among other things. She is passionate about creating stories for young readers that inspire, entertain, and broaden horizons. Miranda is also a thrill-seeker, and one of her bravest moments involved reciting poetry from inside a crocodile pit. (Yikes!)

In addition to being a picture book author, Miranda is a team membe