Start by marking “Summer Green to Autumn Gold” as Want to Read:
Summer Green to Autumn Gold

Summer Green to Autumn Gold

This nonfiction picture book, written and illustrated by Mia Posada, beautifully explains why leaves change color in fall. It highlights both the eye-catching colors of the season and the science behind the colors. Back matter offers additional scientific details for curious readers as well as suggested further reading and links to hands-on activities.

-- "Journal"
Published August 6th 2019 by Millbrook Press (Tm)

To ask other readers questions about Summer Green to Autumn Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer Green to Autumn Gold

Start your review of Summer Green to Autumn Gold
Etienne
May 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
2,5/5. I didn't like the arts style in this book and the informative part about the leaf cycles and importance for the tree was a bit repetitive and not informative enough in my opinion, even considering the young public it is made for. Not entirely bad, it has an unique taste to it, but it wasn't good enough to get to me!
Melki
Jul 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
This fascinating book takes the reader through the seasons, instructing on chlorophyll, and the life cycle of the leaf, but the real star here is the author's stunning artwork.

description

Aaah! We're in the middle of an extended heat wave right now, so I'm yearning for those beautiful leaves, AND autumn's cooler temperatures.
Clare O'Beara
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very pretty, colourful book, about trees and leaves. I would have liked more text content and a mention that some leaves are copper or variegated all year long. We are shown a variety of green leaves, with some named, and how they are green through summer due to chlorophyll but change in autumn to reveal reds, yellows and other pigments.
There really isn't much more to it but at the last we do get more text and facts with a brief glossary of the new words. Good for kids from three to s
Dana Cristiana
I would love to thank Millbrook Press ™, Mia Posada and NetGalley for this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is amazing!! This is not necesarilly only for children, because there are also adults who don't know about these things.

We get to see why plants are green and why they turn into different colors along the year.
This is one of the best non fiction books I've read! I would definitely buy this book for my future children!
La Coccinelle
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a nice little non-fiction picture book that explains how and why leaves change colour through the seasons. Chlorophyll, chloroplasts, and various pigments are discussed. The concepts are fairly simple in the main text, and expanded upon a little more in the notes at the end.

I quite like the pictures here. They're done in collage, but it looks like the author has tried to stay faithful to the actual leaves (as a result, various types of leaves and the trees they come from are easily recog
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an informative non-fiction picture book that explains how and why leaves change colour through the seasons. The author uses proper scientific terminology such as Chlorophyll and chloroplasts to explain about pigments and colouring. The concepts are fairly simple in the main text, but my grandson who is 5 has some trouble understanding all of it. I think it would be more suited to children aged 6 and up. The back pages explain the concepts in more detail for further discussion with older ...more
Stacy Renee  (LazyDayLit)
Summer Green to Autumn Gold artfully delves into the life cycle of trees and how they get their bold and beautiful colors, weaving science and story to make a fun and educational picture book that is perfect for nature lovers and curious little ones.

There's much to learn about trees and their leaves from this fun book. It shows us a leaf's cells, which are full of chloroplasts that are full of chlorophyll. It shares how leaves get their food and water to grow. And more specifically, it shares ho
January Gray
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is BEAUTIFUL and informative. Even as an adult, it either refreshed my memory or taught me something I didn't know. Kids will love this!
Connie T.
This visually appealing non-fiction book talks about the colors in tree leaves: what makes them green and why they change color in the fall. It's not too technical making it appropriate for young readers and non-readers but also contained information that I was unaware of. There's more detailed information, including a glossary and a list of links for hands-on activities, on the last three pages.
Cat
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pretty book! I bet the illustrations will look lovely in color! the book is a nonfiction about why leaves are green and how they change color. It's a simple enough text for 2nd -5th grade, maybe even 6th.

I received a Kindle arc from Netgalley in exchange for a fair review.
Marie-Helene Fasquel
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely educational children's book! A real gem of a book!
The pictures are amazingly beautiful, the colors are vivid and the text is perfect! Young children learn everything about the colors of leaves and nature but also about leaves and so much more!
Thank you for making us discover this superbe work!
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Summer Green to Autumn Gold by Mia Posada. NON FICTION PICTURE BOOK. Millbrook Press (Lerner), 2019. $20. 9781541528994

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3), EL - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

Posada writes a non-fiction foray into the power of trees. It focuses on leaves and how they grow, types of leaves, colors and more. Her illustrations are pretty and very realistic looking with layers of leaves even though they look hand cut. The science in the book is simple and powerful and make it an importan
Alexandra
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
A nice book to help you kids how the life cycle of a leave is like. Not over complicates it, introduces a few terms but explains it and shows it so they can get it. Very visual and nice to look at.
Michael Fitzgerald
Plenty of information presented in a friendly and attractive format.
Pete Barell
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by NetGalley and Lerner Publishing.

Summer Green to Autumn Gold is a largely factual telling of how seasons change, how leaves shift in color and how their cells fit into it all. The text itself is straight-forward, with certain guiding words set in bold or bright colors to break up what is otherwise information that could potentially be rather stale for a young reader not so interested in chloroplasts and chlorophylls. However, the book is a very informative, clear (if somewhat cli
Ulyana
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
With its colourful collage-style artwork reminiscent of Eric Carle, and it’s informative and captivating text, Summer Green to Autumn Gold charmed me from the first page. This truly feels like a work full of heart and a desire to share a very special feeling of connection of humans natural world, and one young children will enjoy reading time and time again. Posada’s passion and interest in nature permeate this book in a very palpable way, drawing out the natural curiosity and wonder with the wo ...more
Sandy Brehl
Sep 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There are many books dealing with the changing colors of leaves for each season, most especially fall. This picture book does a sublime job of combining Luminous and nuanced colors with accurate text described in brief but informative lines set readably in appealing scenes, some of which also have simply labeled tags for cell parts, leaf names, etc. The complex process of photosynthesis and eventual leaf drop is presented in very accessible stages without losing the narrative appeal. The text do ...more
Margie
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's as if there is a contest unknown to humans. It happens annually. This year the champion resides in my neighborhood. More than a month ago, it burst into brilliance, nearly overnight. You could almost hear it shouting---"I won! I won!" Even today it stands out in a sea of green here and in contrast to the rolling hills behind it.

Predictions are in place for when the rest of the trees will be releasing their vivid colors. Time will tell if they will ring true.

Summer Green To Autumn Gold: Unco
Julie
Jun 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a free digital copy of this title for an honest review from NetGalley. All opinions are my own.

This book takes a complex science topic and breaks it down into easy-to-understand information with bright and colorful pages! As an educator, I enjoyed that each page featured a bold and enlarged word, mainly adjectives and strong verbs.

I enjoyed reading this with my 5 year old and he was able to ask appropriate questions regarding the text. He also enjoyed finding animals hidden among the
Theediscerning
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cash-strapped school libraries can still consider this attractive volume, even if it concerns but one small subject. It conveys very briefly and very nicely the science and 'art' if you like of trees changing colours in the autumn, and the leaf cycle. But in that very sentence you find why I would never recommend it to anyone I know here in the UK – for this is full of "colors" and the season of "fall", which is a term that went out of fashion centuries ago. That said, the craft in the visuals m ...more
Elizabeth Seibel
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you #netgalley for giving me a copy of #summergreentoautumngold to review. I love non-fiction picture books. I have seen many that talk about leaves and plants and the food process for plants, but this is the first I have read that talks about the changing colors on a cellular level. The information is given in a way that is easily understood by young kids, but still entertaining to the older kids that I teach. I recommend this book for Pre-K through 5th grade. You could use it with older ...more
Gabrielle Stoller
My biggest gripe with book is about how my library catalogs it. It needs to be in the non-fiction section. Because that is what this book is--a non-fiction text about chlorophyll. No joke.

Granted it's interesting. And makes the topic of photosynthesis approachable, understandable, and easy to get. There isn't a story to it. (Which is okay)

Definitely worth having for classroom science units!
Lebanon Public Library
Sep 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize this was a non-fiction book when I picked it up (not going to lie: I cover shopped) but I'm not mad! This beautifully illustrated book was also a fun and informative read. My daughter and I learned exactly how the bright green leaves of summer morphe into the wonderful golds, reds, and oranges we love this time of year. This book left us even more excited for our favorite season!

Reviewed by: Nicole
Holly Minion
Jul 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a perfect book to introduce kids to the lifecycle of leaves. The writing puts scientific concepts on a good level for kids age 4-6. We will definitely be using it in our nature study this school year. The illustrations are just gorgeous which is a great bonus!

Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Dylan Teut
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's a similar title in a popular science series that I tried to use with first graders, and the science behind the leaves changing just went above their heads. The way Posada presents the pigment changes here is more developmentally appropriate for younger children, and the collage artwork is stunning.
Wisconsin Alumni
Mia Posada ’91
Author and illustrator

From the author and illustrator:
Why do leaves change color? Using watercolor and collage artwork, this children’s picture book explains the science behind the many colors of leaves, giving kids an understanding of the amazing changes happening around us as we head into fall.
MeganRuth - Alohamora Open a Book
A great non-fiction book on the details and how's and why's of leaves changing colors. A teacher could use this for a science lesson in the fall. It would be best for 4th-7th grade I imagine, but a teacher could simplify parts to make it great for the younger grades.
Raymond Library
Jul 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great illustrations combined with fantastic information about different leaves and what makes them change colors.
Melody Palmer
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful art. Would be a great preschool storytime book with fall activities.
Bookish
Really lovely little introduction to the science of leaves' changing colors. Beautiful cut paper collage and watercolor illustrations, and some helpful backmatter.

• Who Wet My Pants?
  • The Cool Bean (The Bad Seed, #3)
  • I Need My Monster