Start by marking “Deep Water Blues” as Want to Read:
Deep Water Blues

Deep Water Blues

Inspired by a true story, artfully told by the author of Searching for Bobby Fischer: A Bahamian island becomes a battleground for a savage private war.

Charismatic expat Bobby Little built his own funky version of paradise on the remote island of Rum Cay, a place where ambitious sport fishermen docked their yachts for fine French cuisine and crowded the bar to boast of big
Published May 28th 2019 by Open Road Media

To ask other readers questions about Deep Water Blues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deep Water Blues

Start your review of Deep Water Blues
Kasa Cotugno
May 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When it’s time for a man to go, he’ll go whether he’s holding’ on or not

What a satisfying novella, a fable of the war over an island paradise that says exactly what it needs to convey without any extra filler. Fred Waitzkin is masterful in bringing to life the paradise of Rum Cay, its importance to the main characters and in a burst of metafiction, inserts himself, his aged fishingboat Ebb Tide, his friends, and the artist John Mitchell who provides the haunting images that enhance the narrative
Fred Forbes
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I remember my first trip to the Bahamas back in the early 80's on the dive boat Sea Dragon out of Ft. Lauderdale cruising the Exumas. Some years later we returned to Bimini for a drift dive in the Gulf Stream along the continental shelf. An amazing experience, hanging on the end of a weighted line at 120 foot depth and looking down into crystal clear water stretching thousands of feet down. Saw huge fish hundreds of feet below me that I thought might have been sharks but were actually large tuna ...more
Lana
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this Bahamian novella, inspired by true events and time spent on the remote island of Rum Cay. The story was well written and painted an entertaining, yet tragic picture of the locals on the island.
Cheryl
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
When I read the summary for this book, I was intrigued. However, when the book came and I was ready to pick it up, I had started to have doubts. Yet, it was apparent early on that I had nothing to fear. Mr. Waitzkin weaves a rich storyline with memorable characters that flows like poetry. This book is a nice escape from my normal reading.

While, I liked all of the characters in this book, it was Bobby that was the shining star of the book. He had this ease and chill vibe attitude about him that
Dan Mutter
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A capturing tale of stories within stories,
brilliant characters, and the drama that unfolds on a small island in the Bahamas. Has the feel of Gatsby in the Caribbean.
Doctor Moss
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literary-fiction
For a story that runs about 140 pages, there’s a lot going on here. And I’m still putting together what I understand ofit.

This is the story of Bobby Little, an eccentric, entrepreneurial, resourceful, and flawed man who has settled himself into Rum Cay, his own personal little kingdom in the Caribbeean.

Bobby has built Rum Cay into a kind of eclectic dreamscape, with a marina, guesthouses, a bar and restaurant, and Bobby’s own carvings from coral. As haphazard as it may seem, it’s successful in B
Miriam Downey
May 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Read my full review here: https://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot....

It is always a lovely experience when you open a book with no anticipation, and then find that it matches your reading ideals. Such was the case with the novella, Deep Water Blues by Fred Waitzkin. It is the story of a paradise island in the Caribbean called Rum Cay that becomes paradise lost. It is the story of greed and misplaced expectations, love and lust, and great loss.

While the author himself is a character in the book, th
Andrew M Page
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sharks beneath the sparkling surface

I started reading Deep Water Blues around midnight thinking I’d dip into it a little and then sleep. I was wrong. I enjoyed the story and the way it was told so much that I lost track of time and read straight through till I finished it at 3.30 a.m! I now have two pleasures to look forward to. Reading Deep Water Blues again. And going deep water fishing with Fred Waitzkin one day!
Most people are comfortably blind to the dramas unfolding in the people whose liv
Viviane Crystal
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a story about creating beauty and prosperity in the already gorgeous Bahama Island. On the Island of Rum Cay, Bobby Little uses his popularity to create businesses that offer superb hospitality and atmosphere to welcome rich tourists. He’s very good at it but unconsciously elicits jealousy from those less successful. Fisherman are more than welcome here and Bobby often dreams of catching a huge marlin, yes like something out of the book or movie The Old Man and the Sea.

Tragedy strikes wh
William Bentrim
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Deep Water Blues by Fred Waitzkin
I wasn’t sure what to expect when I picked up this book. It is a character study of both the author and the main protagonist, Bobby. The author is a fan of the Bahamas and sailing or perhaps fishing more than sailing. Bobby’s story is fictional but Rum Cay, the story’s location, has had a tumultuous history.
Larger than life Bobby turned his island port into a destination by sheer personality. That led to some problems particularly when Dennis, a questionable cha
Catherine Symchych
Sep 22, 2020 rated it liked it
I found the writing disconnected and couldn’t keep all the characters straight, even though the book is really short. Amazing that it’s inspired by real events—the Haitian refugees!—but I didn’t connect with it.
Tatiaana
A delightful read about an island that seems so full of characters and stories, it has to be fiction, but is in fact real. Fred’s knowledge of fishing and boats + John’s beautiful drawings have created a unique experience.
Ivan Taylor
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this novella. The fishing stories reminded me of The Old Man and The Sea and the island stories reminded me of the John Steinbeck Monterey stories. There was more action than these other novels though but the characters were familiar.
Diane
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Evocative of my years as a live aboard. Those islands are familiar to me as are the voices if not the specific persons. Excellent story.
Dr. David P. Pitman
Wonderful characters and very well written. Two intertwined stories involving a fishing trip and a marina on Rum Cay. A great beach read.
Joe Hannan
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deep Water Blues is a cinematic gem, blurring the lines between fiction and reality, that weaves a cautionary tale about the price of unchecked ambition. From the opening pages, which juxtapose a Gatsby-like opulent feast with deadly catastrophe in the shark-infested sea, I knew that this compact novel would be difficult to put down. I ended up devouring it in two short sittings.

The characters are vivid and nuanced. Many of their portraits, drawn by the artist John Mitchell -- who is also a char
EUGENE E LAUZON
Jul 11, 2019
Openly Bookish
May 27, 2019
Lovely Loveday
Deep Water Blues is a remarkably well-written story by Fred Waitzkin. A lovely read with gorgeous illustrations throughout. The characters are well-developed with a depth to them that makes it easy to picture yourself being friends with them. Waitzkin has a way of writing that is vivid and real making it hard to put down. Deep Water Blues is a wonderful fast-paced read.
Garst Peterson
May 06, 2019

• Oil and Marble: A Novel of Leonardo and Michelangelo
  • Rouge
  • The Innocent Sleep
  • Blue Moon (Jack Reacher, #24)
  • In Five Years
  • On Edge: A Journey Through Anxiety
  • Survivors Club: The True Story of a Very Young Prisoner of Auschwitz
  • Betrayed (Rosato & DiNunzio, #2)
  • The Hired Man
  • A View Across the Rooftops
  • Flying Alone: A Memoir
  • Silent Witness (Witness, #2)
  • Lions of the Sky
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
  • Little Weirds
  • Unspeakable Things
  • The German House
  • This Won't End Well
Fred Waitzkin was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1943. When he was a teenager he wavered between wanting to spend his life as a fisherman, Afro Cuban drummer or novelist. He went to Kenyon College and did graduate study at New York University. His work has appeared in Esquire, New York magazine, the New York Times Sunday Magazine, the New York Times Book Review, Outside, Sports Illustrated, ...more