Start by marking “Snow Party” as Want to Read:
Snow Party

Snow Party

If the first snow falls on the first day of winter, the snow men, snow women, and snow children come out for a special party. The festivities include food, dancing, singing, and some surprises! With breathtaking pastel illustrations and an understated, enchanting story, this is the perfect book for a snowy day . . . or to read while wishing for snow to fall.
Published October 15th 2008 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about Snow Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow Party

Start your review of Snow Party
Amy
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, childrens
Many other reviewers mentioned that this book is soothing, or peaceful, or quiet, and that it would work well for calming kids down. My niece and nephew were a little challenging today. When I grabbed this book and started reading it, they both quieted down and just fell into this story. Thank goodness for good books when they're most needed!
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved the illustrations in this book and it is a great soothing book to calm any wild child down.
Shoshanna
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As I write this, spring is starting, so it's a funny time to write a review of Snow Party, but it's simply one of my favorite contemporary picture books. Working on the bookmobile in the winter, it was always fun to pick out winter themed picture books for storytimes and I always relished reading this one, which is my favorite snowpeople-starring picture book.

Snow Party had previously been published as Snow Magic in the eighties, with different artwork, but I can't imagine this story without
Eileen Carter
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The perfect book to read on a snowy day or even waiting for a snow fall to begin. The snowmen know how to have a grand time at their snow party. You and your child will enjoy this book reading together. Children will enjoy reading it themselves to see what funny things the snowmen will do at the party.
Karen Hayes
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet tale of the magical events that take place when the first snow happens on the solstice.
Ajeshrn
Mar 23, 2019 rated it liked it
My son is a snow man fan and loved the way the story is illustrated in the book.
Whole And
We thoroughly enjoyed "Snow Party" and imagining along with the author what a snowman's party might be like. I love the festive yet gentle feel of this book, the magicalness of snow people gathering and enjoying blocks of ice as their treat together, a feast for the eyes with gorgeous illustrations. A wonderful way to celebrate winter and togetherness.
Alice
Sep 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I don't know if this is fair or not, but it has a "Snowmen at Night" by the Buehners feel but not as well done. Okay, in an of itself, I LOVE LOVE LOVE that they are having a Winter Solstice Party. I am more of a Winter Solstice Girl anyway.. (Christmas is depressing for me). I also love the pictures, so I guess it could give it a 3 1/2 because it had some really good parts....but the "Snowmen at Night" rip off leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Melanie
The snow is falling. As it piles higher and higher, snow people come out of the flurries. Families gather for a Winter Solstice celebration. There is dancing and snow pieces for dinner. The night is topped off with the release of hundreds of snowflake butterflies!

Another winner for Ziefert and Jones!
Jaclyn
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kids 3-8
Magical images of snow people having a party to celebrate the winter solstice. I tend to think most snow men images are rather scary or creepy looking -- these creatures are very human like and easy to relate to. The snow children are adorable. A simple sweet story, the artwork expresses the changing of the season and the joy of family, friends, and of course, snow. Boys and I love it.
Wissahickon Valley Public Library
This is one of my favorites to read during winter time. It is the story of snowmen, snow women and their children as they come together to celebrate the Winter Solstice! This book provides a great starting off point for a discussion about the Winter Solstice with your child.
Kristin
Aug 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, toddler
Simple story with beautiful, calming pictures. It made me feel like I feel on very cold, snowy winter days, when I'm gazing out the window while drinking hot chocolate (and River is napping and the house is quiet). I purchased for River on amazon.com for Christmas. A must have.
Hannah Cobb
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime
The first day of winter is the shortest day of the year--and in a quiet lakeside clearing, snowmen, snow women, and snow children come out to party! Beautiful illustrations, short and simple text, and the excitement of learning a snow people secret makes this a great storytime book for ages 2-5.
Liza Gilbert
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Stunning illustrations from Mark Jones. A nice story about how during the winter solstice the snowpeople come out and party. It's quiet, and a sense of peace pervades the entire book. The illustrations of snow families and snow babies are adorable.
Ariana
Dec 21, 2015 added it
Shelves: kindergarten, winter
I read this to Ariana on the perfect night; the Snow Party takes place on the Winter Solstice, and that is today. I was able to teach her about the shortest night of the year, & we laughed at how perfect the book was to read on that day.
Nicole
Jul 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
A wonderful, fantastical story to fuel the magical imagination of my children.
Marie
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A gem! Gorgeous illustrations of snow people celebrating a special event. I can't wait to use it with a group of children.
The Library Lady
Jan 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Beautiful pictures. Story doesn't have much snap--younger kids will just want to look at the pictures.
Meredith
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wonderful pictures, but the story was a little complex for my storytime kids.
Tina B
Dec 10, 2009 rated it liked it
"winter, snow, snowmen"
Tamara
Jan 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My favorite illustration is of the buffet with a snowman carving a block of ice like it's a turkey.
Erin
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love using this book for winter storytimes for preschoolers and toddlers. It's a great winter party book that is more about the celebration of winter and snow than a specific holiday.
Patcharrison
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations, charming winter story, beloved by three-year-old grandson.
Rosa
Oct 12, 2012 rated it liked it
A beautiful picture book about snow people having a party for winter solstice. Very relaxing feeling, I feel like it's a good bedtime story.
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
Looking for a book about the winter solstice? Here's a magical look at what snowmen do when the first snow of the year falls on the equinox.
Michael
Mar 31, 2010 rated it liked it
Nicholas liked looking for himself in the snow children illustrations. He's the one with the bundle of sticks. (Kieran's wearing a red cap!)I liked the dreamy-sounding language.
Janet
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Absolutely wonderful story and illustrations - I bought it for my niece for Christmas.
Maija
Dec 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
What does it mean that the snow people were eating snow?
Jodie
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
The snowman have a winter solstice party. Magical feel with the snowman and appearing and then quietly leaving.
Nicole
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Fun read for the winter season.

• When It Snows
  • The Library Book
  • Snow
  • Snow Globe Wishes
  • If It's Snowy and You Know It, Clap Your Paws!
  • My Wild Cat
  • Here Comes Jack Frost
  • Snowmen at Night
  • Hello Lighthouse
  • Princess Hair
  • Stella, Queen of the Snow (Stella)
  • Our Tree Named Steve
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her