Start by marking “Unspoken (Start Up in the City, #2)” as Want to Read:
Unspoken (Start Up in the City, #2)

Unspoken

(Start Up in the City #2)

Sometimes it’s what you don’t say that can change everything…

Isabel Winton had planned to spend the last few days of her marriage at her vacation home, intending to reflect, regroup… or maybe just do some solitary sulking. Instead, she collides with her almost ex, Paul, who has the same idea. Too stubborn to leave, Isabel figures this is a chance for them to get some c
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published November 26th 2019 by HQN

To ask other readers questions about Unspoken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unspoken

Start your review of Unspoken (Start Up in the City, #2)
Zoe
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sincere, emotional, and sweet!

Unspoken is a heartfelt, second-chance romance between the intelligent, workaholic Paul and the spirited, outgoing Isobel as they discover just days before their divorce is finalized that perhaps they both made a lot of mistakes and that their love is something worth fighting for.

The writing is passionate and smooth. The characters are frustrated, angry, and sympathetic. And the plot is a genuine, push-pull tale of relationship dynamics, miscommunication, introspect
Pelusa Rivera
Aug 27, 2019 rated it liked it
This is the second book in this series and I think it is the last book I will read in the series. This was Paul and Isobel's book, and since I had read the first book and this couple was mentioned I was nosy and wanted to read. I liked Paul well enough and I was stumped on why no one had figured out before that he was a little autistic, while reading I had picked up on it so it made me wonder why if Isobel claimed she had loved him so never figured it out? Huh? but I have to say I did not like I ...more
Jamie Rosenblit
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Second chance romance from the author who can literally do no wrong? We were introduced to Paul and Isabel, the arguing couple in the midst of a divorce in book 1 of this series, Unexpected, but now we get to really know them, what went wrong, why and is there hope for salvation?

Rimmer does a masterful job (as always) at capturing emotions and making her characters come to life. There are moments where I wanted to scream at these two and moments where I wished they would just kiss and make up -
DeAnn
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
3.75 breaking up is hard to do stars

I am a huge fan of Kelly Rimmer. I loved “The Things We Cannot Say” and “Before I Let You Go.” At some point, I saw that she had started a romance series. When I saw that I could request this one (even though it’s #2) I thought I would give it a try.

I think the previous two books I read were much darker books, but this one has the same deep explorations of characters and relationships. I would almost describe this one as a romance in reverse. We meet Isabel an
Booksandchinooks (Laurie)
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Isabel is days away from finalizing a divorce from Paul and is going to their beach house for some introspection on her life. Paul has the same plan in mind and also unexpectantly ends up at the beach house. After some discussion they both decide to stay but to do their own thing. These characters were briefly introduced to us in this author’s previous book and I was looking forward to seeing what their story would be. This book isn’t as light hearted as the previous book and deals with some imp ...more
Shelby
Nov 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Paul and Isabel are about to be divorced after nearly 4-years of marriage. When Isabel walked out on Paul 11-months before, he felt distraught and couldn’t help but question why. Now their divorce is going to be final in 5 days. And Paul’s agreed to give Isabel their weekend house, a house that’s sentimental to them both. So Paul’s decided to take the rare weekend off from work and spend it one last time at the house that’s not going to be his for much longer.

To Paul’s surprise, Isabel also had
Cherry Bob*omb
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
At first I was worried that this would be yet another book where a character is clearly autistic but the author doesn't know about autism and so they become a "Sheldon", who is never diagnosed and whose behaviour is never really explained. (I love Penny Reid's books, but so many Sheldon characters...)

I'm new to Kelly Rimmer's writing, but obviously she's wiser than that. This isa story about a separated couple actually dealing with their issues in a mature way, and learning to understand one an
Samantha (WLABB)
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I love second chance romances. They always tend to leave me so hopeful about the world in general, but I have really been loving these second chance romances between married couples.

It was almost a year since Isabel left Paul. They had been sparring over the details of their divorce, and now, the day was almost here. In some sort of preparation for D-day, both Isabel and Paul decided to take a little weekend getaway to their vacation home. However, neither expected, or was prepared, to see the
Kristen
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-arc, romance, 2019
In Kelly Rimmer's Unspoken, the 2nd installment in the Start Up in the City contemporary romance series, this moving love story will pull your heart strings real taut and make you cry. For Isabel Winton, she wanted to escape into her vacation home before her marriage to Paul ended in a divorce. She's the one who walked away from the marriage and asked for a divorce when Paul also chose work over her. For Paul, this vacation home belonged to his family and didn't expect to see Isabel there. Inste ...more
Shirley Ririhena
Overall i had a great time reading it, it was delightful, pretty angsty but also heartwarming.
Isabel can be a bit explosive & dramatic than i like but i get it that she feels frustrated, but there's a time where i get a little annoyed with her. Paul is..adorable? he is sweet and attentive when he interested, he's resilient and despite having a hard time showing or understand it but the fact that he go all the way for her is adoring. A little spoiler about him, if you haven't read it I suggest yo
Kimberly Kowalski
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
I went into this one blind. I knew it was a standalone 'sequel' to an ARC I read last year and enjoyed so I decided to just jump in and hope for the best. I was surprised by the content and not at all disappointed. I rarely read romance novels that revolve around a married couple, this one was particularly heart wrenching at many turns. Reading about the struggles and miscommunication that lead to the downfall of their marriage broke my heart in two. But ultimately seeing how they grew individua ...more
Laurel
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
From the very first word to the very last word, I just absolutely loved this book.
A very emotional story which moved me greatly with fabulous well constructed characters. I was totally absorbed by their situation and felt very involved, as if I knew them personally.
So beautifully written, Kelly Rimmer is one of my favourite contemporary authors.
My thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest and independent review.
5 stars
Frankie
Dec 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I read for enjoyment and there is nothing enjoyable about two characters that are constantly bickering. They were both annoying - more so heroine then hero.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Samantha
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this was so fucking delightful? The romance was sweet and sexy and the positive portrayal of therapy and communication just 100% made my day to be honest.
Shala
Dec 14, 2019 rated it liked it
This was fun, but a fairly average romance for me. There is a good chance that this is my fault, as I have read some amazing romances recently. Will probably revisit in future.
Sonny
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
**Actually a 3.5-rating**

I really do not know how to even begin to talk about how I would like to review this book. I have had some distance from it, talked about it a bit, verbally, but it still sits in my gut and it irks me. And I hate what seemingly feels like a tiny inconsequential detail sours the entirety of a book’s enjoyment. It feels like the detail should be tiny, it shouldn’t matter but here, unfortunately, the Author created a scenario where the minor detail...a massive character det
Joan
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Paul and Isabel Winton are instantly attracted to each other from the moment they meet. Their romantic story becomes legendary. They are the golden couple, him a rising star in the technology industry and her committed to coaching for health and fitness in the leisure industry. They feel invincible, but as Paul’s business thrives there are huge expectations of an innovative new product being nearly ready for the market. The increasing amount of time he spends away from home begins to worry and a ...more
Meggily_ever_after
4 STAR BOOK - I enjoyed this book a lot, it is full of love, passion, willingness to overcome the obstacles of a difficult relationship and honest sharing of each others' points of view.

Read this book if you like second chances love stories and are ready to delve into a difficult ex-spouses relationship and move with them to the beginning of a new-love-story.
This book contains explicit sexual scenes. This book deals with divorce and some medical issues (I don't want to spoiler it, so I won't say
Kellisa
Dec 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-favorites
I know everyone loves Kelly Rimmer for her more serious books and historical fiction, but if you haven’t tried her contemporary romance series, Start Up in the City, you are missing out. Both of her books in this series were hands-down five star reads for me.

If you’re like me and read Bromance Book Club and then immediately said “I need more married couple romances”, put Unspoken on your TBR ASAP! It’s the second in the series, but totally works as a stand-alone.

Isabel and Paul are getting a d
Olivia
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-reviews
I completely devoured this book! What a fantastic read! UNSPOKEN gets off to a rough start- Paul and Isabel, who are about to be divorced the next week have shown up at their country house at the same time, and neither of them is willing to leave. Considering the relatively small space, they cannot help but continue bumping into each other, and eventually, they both decide they need the closure of a deeper discussion.

As they begin to communicate more and better, they realize that maybe they both
Elaine
Rating 4.5/5*
This is an emotive second chance romance which demonstrates the importance of communication in relationships. Isabel and Paul Winton will be divorced in less than a week, despite the fact that they both love each other very much. Both are distraught at the breakdown of their marriage and, after some comments from a mutual friend, go to stay at their holiday home where they have so many happy memories together. However, neither expected the other to be there! For the last ten months
Gwen
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
I received an ARC from Netgalley and I am happy to give my honest review.

This is my first book by this author and won’t be my last. I am a sucker for second chance romance and especially love when they feature married couples. This one did not disappoint.

Isabel and Paul have been married for 5 years. She has been increasingly unhappy and Paul feels blindsided when she leaves him. The spend the next several months duking it out in the divorce mediation. The weekend before the divorce is final,
Edi McNinch
Aug 29, 2019 rated it liked it
I didn't notice that this was a second book in a series but I don't think that would have changed my opinion much. I would really give it a 3.5, but we don't have halves!

It had my attention for the first part, but after they end up at the house together and were bickering, I sort of lost interest and didn't get it back until the last chapter and epilogue.

Seems very much like a version of "he said,she said" that was popular many years ago. , I think it might be a good book for someone going thr
Clare Perry
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Carolyn Sharp
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another thought-provoking novel from Kelly Rimmer. A common scenario of a couple in the throes of a divorce that has turned bitter. Communication has broken down and the barriers are up. Isobel and Paul are both encouraged by their mutual friend Jess to go to their ‘holiday home’ to lick their wounds. Neither realise that the other will be there.
As things begin to thaw, they develop a strength to begin talking about what caused their marriage to fail. The story is told from both Isobel and
Beth McLeod
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
The premise of this book was very similar to another book published about 6 weeks later, Love Her or Lose Her, by Tessa Bailey. The first quarter or so, it seemed like the same book.

This one went a different way, though, and I think I liked it better. Basically, the couples are both very close to divorce, due mostly to a complete lack of communication in their marriage. Although with this book, it wasn’t they DIDN’T communicate, it was more the way they’d each been communicating was not the way
Kate Vale
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
One of the Start Up in the City series, in which Isabel Winton is eager for her divorce to become final and chooses to spend her last days as a married woman at the vacation house she managed to secure as part of the divorce agreement. Unfortunately for her, her ex, Paul Winton, shows up there, too. Ack!

Now what are they going to do? Continue fighting. Well, yes. That. Or acknowledge that this Paul seems somehow different from the one who drove her crazy with his intense focus on his start-up te
Kym
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely a different kind of love story. This one begins with so much pain (almost hard to continue when you can feel Isabel’s through the pages) but then slowly turns as Paul begins to tell HIS side of their story.

Fair warning though...watching the bickering and hurtful words slung at these two, who were only married for such a relatively short time, is painful.

BUT...once they truly start to talk, truly begin to see one another, truly begin to realize they both have issues that led to where
Jessica Figueroa
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The divorce is drawing the a close and Isabel is feeling down so decides to go to the vacation home for some peace and quiet. Problem is her soon to be ex husband had the same idea. Both refuse to leave and end up finding that they are not the same people they were when they were together and the year has changed them. This will give them the time to put things on the mend maybe even come out as friends rather then bitter enemies.

I love a good second chance at romance and this book was pretty gr
Jalapeño Lobster
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book for the most part, because them looking back at their relationship to understand where it went wrong was interesting.

That said, that last little bit pissed me off. (view spoiler)
« previous 1 3 next »

• Then, Now, Always
  • When She Returned
  • The Poison Garden
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Let It Snow
  • The Bad Boy of Redemption Ranch (Gold Valley, #9)
  • Girls Like Us
  • The Babysitters Coven (The Babysitters Coven, #1)
  • The Mighty Anchor (Rogue Academy, #3)
  • Declan (Undercover Billionaire #4)
  • True to Me (By the Sea)
  • Broken Record (Record, #5)
  • Jilted: Nico and Sophie (Cliffside Bay, #9)
  • Athena's Choice
  • Good Girls Lie
  • I Knew You Were Trouble (Oxford, #4)
  • Royally Abandoned
  • Christmas Flowers (The Draegers of Last Stand, Texas, #2)
Kelly Rimmer is the New York Times, Wall Street Journal and USA Today bestselling author of ten novels, including The Secret Daughter and The Things We Cannot Say. She’s sold more than one million books, and her novels have been translated into more than 20 languages. Kelly lives in the Central West of New South Wales with her family and fantastically naughty dogs, Sully and Basil.

Start Up in the City (3 books)
  • Unexpected (Start Up in the City, #1)
  • Undone (Start Up in the City, #3)