Start by marking “The Girls with No Names” as Want to Read:
The Girls with No Names

The Girls with No Names

Not far from Luella and Effie Tildons large family mansion in Inwood looms the House of Mercy, a work house for wayward girls.
Published January 7th 2020 by Park Row

To ask other readers questions about The Girls with No Names, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girls with No Names

Start your review of The Girls with No Names
Paige
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
1910-1913, New York: A world where men hold the upper hand. Values are changing with the turn of the century. Women are still fighting for their rights. A young female can be sent away or imprisoned for nearly any act of defilement or unbecoming behavior.

Told from three different viewpoints, the story begins through the eyes of Effie, a twelve-year-old growing up in a wealthy household but constrained to a strict set of principles and rules. Longing to hold on to their Victorian values, her
Berit☀️✨
This book definitely made me glad I was not alive in the 1910s! This is not the first book Ive read during this timeperiod where women are treated abysmally. Sent away to Holmes simply for not conforming too the rules men in Society and their families believe they should live by. These homes are one step away from prison. The women are treated poorly, punished harshly, and worked hard. Im glad that there are books like this, because the things these women went through should not be forgotten. I ...more
Bkwmlee
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, edelweiss

Right off the bat, I have to say that I had mixed feelings about this book which is why, as I sit down to write this review, Im struggling a bit trying to figure out how best to begin. In reading the summary, I thought this would be a story centered around the historical House of Mercy, which was a sanitorium of sorts that had once existed in the Manhattan area of New York back in the early 1900s. To the public, the House of Mercy was a religious institution whose purpose was to rescue
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Effie and Luella lived a privileged life and had to conform to all the strict rules set upon women in the 1910's including being sent away.

Effie was the sister who had a health problem, and Luella was the sister who was beautiful. Both behaved, but were bored with their lives and the control their parents had over them.

One day the sisters were at lunch with their father and witnessed something he did that shocked and upset them. What they found out, made Luella become rebellious.

Luella being the
Michelle

The Girls with No Names takes the reader back to a time where women were still fighting to be heard. The Women's Suffrage movement was just starting to make headway. But women were still beholden to the patriarchal standards of society. If a woman did not conform, rebelled or acted "inappropriately" she could be sent away to a sanitorium. One of these houses for wayward women was the House of Mercy on 86th St and 5th Ave. in Manhattan. Its public aim was to rescue women from vice but in
Mackey
I finally understood what my fortune meant....I was bone and skin and earth and sky. Death was not literal, Time was infinite, my Existence..eternal.

Set in the early 1900s, a time of great change and social reforms, The Girls With No Names is the story of young girls, some wealthy and other travelers or from among the working poor. It is a brilliant example of all that was wonderful and horrific about "the gilded age."

Luella and Effie Tildon are children from a wealthier family. Their lives are
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

**3.5 stars**

The Girls with No Names by Serena Burdick. (2020).

**Thank you to Harlequin Australia for sending me a free advance readers copy of this novel; published 20 January 2020**

Luella and Effie live in a large family mansion near the House of Mercy, a workhouse for wayward girls. The sisters know that even though they are wealthy, freedom comes with limits. After discovering a secret about their father, Luella becomes emboldened
CC
4.5 ★

Set in New York City in the early 1900s, Effie Tildon lives with her affluent parents and older sister, Luella. Born with a heart condition, Effie was sheltered from physical activity, but substituted such adventures by writing stories. At 13, the dynamic in Effies family started to change leaving Effie feeling bewildered. In search of answers, Effie is thrust into a world where consequences are grave and reliance upon her own inner strength is paramount.

I viewed the world through the
Dana
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copies
The Girls With No Names gets ALL the stars from me! I couldn't put it down and finished it in three sittings. Throughly enjoyed the writing style and found the storyline extremely intriguing. I found the characters were very well written and interesting. I also appreciated how real this story was, so believable and at times relatable.

I really enjoyed the information after the story regarding the House Of Mercy and plan on doing my own research to learn more.

Huge thank you to NetGalley,
warhawke
Genre: Historical Fiction
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person - Multiple
Rating:

Effie and Luella Tildon grew up in the New York high society. Stifled by family expectations, they found an escape among the gypsy group nearby. But freedom had new meaning when it was no longer an option.

At some point through all of this, I realized that my birth hadnt been enough to fulfill them, and my existence wasnt enough to keep them going.

The 1910s New York setting gave readers an insight into both high
Donna
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is Historical Fiction set in the 1900's in New York. First, I want to say that I loved-loved the descriptive strokes in this book. WOW. WOW. The author's writing was a little haunting as she put depth and shadow into the details. She went the extra mile without being redundant or super flowery and I loved paying attention to this. That part was 5 stars for me, because I could read this again just for that.

I was immediately drawn into the story. The sisters were two very different
LibraryCin

Effie and Luella are sisters. On Jan 1, 1900, Effie was born with a heart defect and they didnt think shed live long. She has, however, made it to 14 years old when the two sisters discover the gypsies living nearby. Luella, being a risk-taker, convinces Effie to come with her to visit regularly. When Luella disappears, Effie needs to find her! Effie is convinced her parents found out about the gypsies and have deposited Luella into the nearby home for wayward girls, the House of
Karen
Dec 26, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: historical, arc
An ARC was provided to me for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I don't really know what to say about this book. I thought the premise was quite interesting--I haven't read any books about the House of Mercy before and didn't even know about it previous to this. I ended up googling it, and was really intrigued to read about the girls who would be living there.

However, it was definite struggle to even get to the 20% mark. I felt ungrounded for quite a while--I
Donna Wetzel
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks Goodreads for my copy of The Girls With No Names by Serena Burdick. This was one of the best books I have read in quite some time. I finished this book in two days so to say it was difficult to put down would be an understatement. The characters came to life and emotionally pulled you in to their world. Thanks Serena for a great read.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 2.5 STARS
2020; Park Row/Harlequin

For some reason, I had a notion that this novel was about Suffragettes. It is about women, and their struggles in America during the 1910s. Specifically, this novel takes place in New York and is about the House of Mercy. The House of Mercy is a place where young girls and women are placed for the littlest infraction. Any sexual act could land a girl in this place that punished them with long hard hours in the laundry. The money does not go back into the
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com

My introduction to the writing of Serena Burdick came courtesy of 2020 HQ Fiction publication, The Girls with No Names. Set in a time of upheaval in the US, Serena Burdicks new novel exposes the tragic world of female work houses. This heartbreaking hidden history opens our eyes to a most regrettable chapter in early twentieth century New York.

In 1891, the House of Mercy, a notorious asylum for destitute and fallen women, stood on the highest point of
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, and found myself thinking about it long after I finished it. It was an amazing multilayered story and I really got attached to the characters. I loved the author's writing style and the voices used in this tale really brought the book to life and the plot was such an interesting heart-breaker.

The story is an engrossing one as well as vivid and deeply moving. It's one of those books you cannot put down and immediately wish for more when you are finished. A moving,
Nursebookie
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To learn about The House of Mercy, the asylum for fallen women at the center of Serena Burdick's beautiful novel, was truly eye opening for me. The stories of the women in the asylum broke my heart but the stories highlight the strength, resilience and grit of these women who are bound to survive and rise above all this injustice and cruelty. Burdock wrote a well researched historical fiction novel in its finest highlighting an era I loved reading about.

I highly recommend this book and a must
Cheryl
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story! I enjoyed reading about the historical background and the House of Mercy. I also thought the characters were interesting. The book was easy to get into and the plot moved at a good pace. Readers who enjoy historical fiction will like this novel!
Linda
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book grabbed me from the very first when Effie was in the basement feeling like she was dying. Effie was born with a bad heart. A hole in her heart and she was not suppose to live a year. Shes 13 now and looking for her sister Luella.

Luella and Effie are sisters. Very close sisters who will do anything for each other. Luella never believed that Effie was really dying despite the fact she has a terrible heart problem and what they call blue fits. Their parents love them and trust them it
Theresa Smith
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another appalling hidden history about mistreatment of women dusted off and at last given its due attention. The Girls with No Names is about the American version of Irelands Magdalene Laundries, an atrocious institutional system designed to keep women and young girls in line that lasted too long into the twentieth century. This novel is so good. The writing, the treatment if its history, the characters, the storyline I am so impressed and so grateful to the author for writing it.

The shadows
Janet
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing

When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing "cool" to do but reading sitting in front of the a/c as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader. (Yes it is hot and humid in Canada!)

The Girls with
Karen Kay
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

"The Girls with No Names pulls readers into the gilded age of New York City in the 1910s, when suffragettes marched in the street, unions fought for better work conditionsand girls were confined to the House of Mercy for daring to break the rules."

The story is told from three perspectives with the focus on Effie's family dynamics. I felt the story was bogged down, the connections between the characters and their backgrounds were not immediately
Victoria Rodríguez
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a book that touched me enormously because of the difficult situations that were lived by girls in the House of Mercy, guarded by nuns. The story is about Effie and Luella Tildon. Two lovely sisters who are always having fun. They both have an insatiable curiosity about the gipsy community that has recently arrived at their town. However, the sisters' parents do not like nor feel comfortable with the gipsy community. Despite this, Effie and Luella decided to sneak out from their house ...more
Donna Hines
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, netgalley
Freedoms have limits.
Wayward girls are not allowed to express their emotions nor have feelings. They are in many cases lost voices being abused while staying isolated and living in fear and squalor.
One thing was certain the 1900's was a time of great hardships and condemnation.
When one of the sisters uncovers a horrible truth about her father she rebels and seeks freedom.
All actions have consequences and Luella is now mysteriously gone.
Perhaps the band of Roma (gypsies) was to inviting of an
Rissa
Feb 15, 2020 rated it liked it
The girls with no names⭐
These two sister are girls after my own heart. Telling fictionalized stories of how the man they encounter could have murdered them and silt their throats turning them into spirit wifes.
Does anyone else make up irrational situations and pretend that they would be brave but in reality they/you are frozen in place?

Anyway heres what you should know...
Luella Learned a secret of her fathers and because he did not trust her to keep that secret she was sent to the house of
Betty
Review coming soon.
Laura plantladyreader
Thank you to Harper Collins Canada for this advanced copy, in exchange for an honest review.

This book started off rather slow, and almost lost my interest. The author was setting up the family dynamics and the characters who would be involved, and it just seemed like a bunch of info.

However, about a third of the way through, I got into it. Both the sisters go missing, both by choice, but on very different paths. For one, it is easy to come home, but awkward. For the other, she is trapped,
Susanne Gulde
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a digital review copy from the publisher through Edelweiss. The book is scheduled to be published January 7th.
I enjoyed this book, and think our patrons will like it.
The story takes place in the early 20th century and is told from several viewpoints. The characters are good and the plot moves very well, keeping my interest throughout.
MsArdychan
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Please Note: I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence the opinions in my review in any way.

I feel very conflicted about this book. On the one hand, this is an historical fiction novel that is rich with details. Many of the characters are quite compelling. And the subject matter, the House of Mercy (which was a prison for women and children disguised as a place to help these people), is a part of history we should all know
Play Book Tag: The Girls With No Names / Serena Burdick. 3.75 stars 5 15 Dec 02, 2019 08:16PM

• Temper
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • The Book Charmer (Dove Pond, #1)
  • Because You're Mine
  • Digging for God
  • Treasury of Greek Mythology
  • The Whispers of War
  • The Orphan Collector
Serena Burdick is the author of the novels GIRL IN THE AFTERNOON (St. Martins Press, 2016) and THE GIRLS WITH NO NAMES, forthcoming from Park Row Books in January 2020. She is the 2017 International Book Award Winner for Historical Fiction. She holds an Associates of Arts degree from The American Academy of Dramatic Arts in theater and a Bachelors of Arts from Brooklyn College in English ...more