Start by marking “The Girls with No Names” as Want to Read:
The Girls with No Names

The Girls with No Names

Not far from Luella and Effie Tildon’s large family mansion in Inwood looms the House of Mercy, a work house for wayward girls.
Published January 7th 2020 by Park Row

To ask other readers questions about The Girls with No Names, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Girls with No Names

Start your review of The Girls with No Names
Paige
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
1910-1913, New York: A world where men hold the upper hand. Values are changing with the turn of the century. Women are still fighting for their rights. A young female can be sent away or imprisoned for nearly any act of defilement or unbecoming behavior.

Told from three different viewpoints, the story begins through the eyes of Effie, a twelve-year-old growing up in a wealthy household but constrained to a strict set of principles and rules. Longing to hold on to their Victorian values, her
Berit☀️✨
This book definitely made me glad I was not alive in the 1910s! This is not the first book I’ve read during this timeperiod where women are treated abysmally. Sent away to “Holmes“ simply for not conforming too the rules men in Society and their families believe they should live by. These homes are one step away from prison. The women are treated poorly, punished harshly, and worked hard. I’m glad that there are books like this, because the things these women went through should not be ...more
Bkwmlee
Jan 12, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, fiction

Right off the bat, I have to say that I had mixed feelings about this book – which is why, as I sit down to write this review, I’m struggling a bit trying to figure out how best to begin. In reading the summary, I thought this would be a story centered around the historical House of Mercy, which was a sanitorium of sorts that had once existed in the Manhattan area of New York back in the early 1900s. To the public, the House of Mercy was a religious institution whose purpose was to “
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Effie and Luella lived a privileged life and had to conform to all the strict rules set upon women in the 1910's including being sent away.

Effie was the sister who had a health problem, and Luella was the sister who was beautiful. Both behaved, but were bored with their lives and the control their parents had over them.

One day the sisters were at lunch with their father and witnessed something he did that shocked and upset them. What they found out, made Luella become rebellious.

Luella being the
Michelle

The Girls with No Names takes the reader back to a time where women were still fighting to be heard. The Women's Suffrage movement was just starting to make headway. But women were still beholden to the patriarchal standards of society. If a woman did not conform, rebelled or acted "inappropriately" she could be sent away to a sanitorium. One of these houses for wayward women was the House of Mercy on 86th St and 5th Ave. in Manhattan. Its public aim was to rescue women from vice but in
Brooke - One Woman's Brief Book Reviews
*www.onewomansbbr.wordpress.com
*www.facebook.com/onewomansbbr

**3.5 stars**

The Girls with No Names by Serena Burdick. (2020).

**Thank you to Harlequin Australia for sending me a free advance readers copy of this novel; published 20 January 2020**

Luella and Effie live in a large family mansion near the House of Mercy, a workhouse for wayward girls. The sisters know that even though they are wealthy, freedom comes with limits. After discovering a secret about their father, Luella becomes emboldened
CC
4.5

Set in New York City in the early 1900s, Effie Tildon lives with her affluent parents and older sister, Luella. Born with a heart condition, Effie was sheltered from physical activity, but substituted such adventures by writing stories. At 13, the dynamic in Effie’s family started to change leaving Effie feeling bewildered. In search of answers, Effie is thrust into a world where consequences are grave and reliance upon her own inner strength is paramount.

“I viewed the world through the
warhawke
Genre: Historical Fiction
Type: Standalone
POV: First Person - Multiple
Rating:

Effie and Luella Tildon grew up in the New York high society. Stifled by family expectations, they found an escape among the gypsy group nearby. But freedom had new meaning when it was no longer an option.

At some point through all of this, I realized that my birth hadn’t been enough to fulfill them, and my existence wasn’t enough to keep them going.

The 1910s New York setting gave readers an insight into both high
Dana
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-copies
The Girls With No Names gets ALL the stars from me! I couldn't put it down and finished it in three sittings. Throughly enjoyed the writing style and found the storyline extremely intriguing. I found the characters were very well written and interesting. I also appreciated how real this story was, so believable and at times relatable.

I really enjoyed the information after the story regarding the House Of Mercy and plan on doing my own research to learn more.

Huge thank you to NetGalley,
LibraryCin

Effie and Luella are sisters. On Jan 1, 1900, Effie was born with a heart defect and they didn’t think she’d live long. She has, however, made it to 14 years old when the two sisters discover the gypsies living nearby. Luella, being a risk-taker, convinces Effie to come with her to visit regularly. When Luella disappears, Effie needs to find her! Effie is convinced her parents found out about the gypsies and have deposited Luella into the nearby “home” for wayward girls, the House of
Donna Wetzel
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Thanks Goodreads for my copy of The Girls With No Names by Serena Burdick. This was one of the best books I have read in quite some time. I finished this book in two days so to say it was difficult to put down would be an understatement. The characters came to life and emotionally pulled you in to their world. Thanks Serena for a great read.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 2.5 STARS
2020; Park Row/Harlequin

For some reason, I had a notion that this novel was about Suffragettes. It is about women, and their struggles in America during the 1910s. Specifically, this novel takes place in New York and is about the House of Mercy. The House of Mercy is a place where young girls and women are placed for the littlest infraction. Any sexual act could land a girl in this place that punished them with long hard hours in the laundry. The money does not go back into the
Karen
Dec 26, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: arc, historical
An ARC was provided to me for free by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I don't really know what to say about this book. I thought the premise was quite interesting--I haven't read any books about the House of Mercy before and didn't even know about it previous to this. I ended up googling it, and was really intrigued to read about the girls who would be living there.

However, it was definite struggle to even get to the 20% mark. I felt ungrounded for quite a while--I
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, and found myself thinking about it long after I finished it. It was an amazing multilayered story and I really got attached to the characters. I loved the author's writing style and the voices used in this tale really brought the book to life and the plot was such an interesting heart-breaker.

The story is an engrossing one as well as vivid and deeply moving. It's one of those books you cannot put down and immediately wish for more when you are finished. A moving,
Cheryl
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this story! I enjoyed reading about the historical background and the House of Mercy. I also thought the characters were interesting. The book was easy to get into and the plot moved at a good pace. Readers who enjoy historical fiction will like this novel!
Linda
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book grabbed me from the very first when Effie was in the basement feeling like she was dying. Effie was born with a bad heart. A hole in her heart and she was not suppose to live a year. She’s 13 now and looking for her sister Luella.

Luella and Effie are sisters. Very close sisters who will do anything for each other. Luella never believed that Effie was really dying despite the fact she has a terrible heart problem and what they call “blue fits”. Their parents love them and trust them it
Theresa Smith
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another appalling hidden history about mistreatment of women dusted off and at last given its due attention. The Girls with No Names is about the American version of Ireland’s Magdalene Laundries, an atrocious institutional system designed to keep women – and young girls – in line that lasted too long into the twentieth century. This novel is so good. The writing, the treatment if its history, the characters, the storyline – I am so impressed and so grateful to the author for writing it.

‘The
Janet
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing

When it is hot as heck outside and there is nothing "cool" to do but reading sitting in front of the a/c as everything else makes you end up a sweaty mess, it is the perfect day for a speed reader. (Yes it is hot and humid in Canada!)

From the publisher, as I do not repeat the contents or story of books in reviews, I let them do it as they do it better than I do .

The Girls with No
Karen Kay
I received this from Netgalley.com for a review.

"The Girls with No Names pulls readers into the gilded age of New York City in the 1910s, when suffragettes marched in the street, unions fought for better work conditions—and girls were confined to the House of Mercy for daring to break the rules."

The story is told from three perspectives with the focus on Effie's family dynamics. I felt the story was bogged down, the connections between the characters and their backgrounds were not immediately
Donna
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is Historical Fiction set in the 1900's in New York. First, I want to say that I loved-loved the descriptive strokes in this book. WOW. WOW. The author's writing was a little haunting as she put depth and shadow into the details. She went the extra mile without being redundant or super flowery and I loved paying attention to this. That part was 5 stars for me, because I could read this again just for that.

I was immediately drawn into the story. The sisters were two very different
Donna Hines
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, arc
Freedoms have limits.
Wayward girls are not allowed to express their emotions nor have feelings. They are in many cases lost voices being abused while staying isolated and living in fear and squalor.
One thing was certain the 1900's was a time of great hardships and condemnation.
When one of the sisters uncovers a horrible truth about her father she rebels and seeks freedom.
All actions have consequences and Luella is now mysteriously gone.
Perhaps the band of Roma (gypsies) was to inviting of an
Miki Mackennedy
The story opens on the life of Luella and Effie Tildon, privileged children, raised by a strict mother and a father interested in keeping up appearances. Luella, the older sister, has a bit of a rebellious streak but dotes on Effie. Effie was born with a heart condition that leaves her prone to “blue fits” and leaves her parents amazed each year that she does not die. The girls are inseparable and make their own adventures..

When Luella goes missing, Effie assumes that her parents have sent her
Betty
Review coming soon.
Laura plantladyreader
Thank you to Harper Collins Canada for this advanced copy, in exchange for an honest review.

This book started off rather slow, and almost lost my interest. The author was setting up the family dynamics and the characters who would be involved, and it just seemed like a bunch of info.

However, about a third of the way through, I got into it. Both the sisters go missing, both by choice, but on very different paths. For one, it is easy to come home, but awkward. For the other, she is trapped,
Susanne Gulde
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a digital review copy from the publisher through Edelweiss. The book is scheduled to be published January 7th.
I enjoyed this book, and think our patrons will like it.
The story takes place in the early 20th century and is told from several viewpoints. The characters are good and the plot moves very well, keeping my interest throughout.
Escape into a Booksite
*DNF*

ARC kindly received from Harlequin Australia, in exchange for an honest review.

Unfortunately this one is not for me. The writing style seems ok, but the characters aren't easy to connect to, and the story seems to be dragging, so I'm putting this one down.
Shannon Dyer
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to come at AAR.
MsArdychan
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Please Note: I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This did not influence the opinions in my review in any way.

I feel very conflicted about this book. On the one hand, this is an historical fiction novel that is rich with details. Many of the characters are quite compelling. And the subject matter, the House of Mercy (which was a prison for women and children disguised as a place to help these people), is a part of history we should all know
Sandra "Jeanz"
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss, 2020
It was the cover and the book title that initially attracted me to this book. I wanted to know who the girls with no names were and why they had no names. I wanted to know who the girl was wearing the boots and the pretty petticoat/dress. The cover really reminded me of the cover of V.S. Alexander’s The Magadalene Girls and this comparison was in my head before I even read the blurb.

The books three main characters are the rather well-off sisters, Luella and Effie. Effie was born with a heart
Alyson Stone
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book: The Girls with No Names
Author: Serena Burdick
Rating: 4 Out of 5 Stars

I would like to thank the publisher, Park Row, for sending me an ARC.

So, I was just offered an ARC last week for this title and I almost didn’t agree to it. I mean, it comes out next week and I like to have my reviews up early. I’m actually glad that I ended up talking it. This book is one of those that is going to hit you in all of the right places and make you really question society. This is one of those books that
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Play Book Tag: The Girls With No Names / Serena Burdick. 3.75 stars 5 14 Dec 02, 2019 08:16PM

• The Whispers of War
  • Temper
  • Ten Days Gone (A.L. McKittridge #1)
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • The Book Charmer (Dove Pond, #1)
  • Because You're Mine
  • The Murder List
  • I Will Make You Pay
  • Say Say Say
  • Nothing to See Here
Serena Burdick is the author of the novels GIRL IN THE AFTERNOON (St. Martin’s Press, 2016) and THE GIRLS WITH NO NAMES, forthcoming from Park Row Books in January 2020. She is the 2017 International Book Award Winner for Historical Fiction. She holds an Associates of Arts degree from The American Academy of Dramatic Arts in theater and a Bachelors of Arts from Brooklyn College in English ...more
“Over time Luella would discover, as I had, as her daughter would, that we can’t outrun ourselves.” 0 likes
“But life’s a blind business, none of us can see up ahead, and none of us would move forward if we could. So,” 0 likes