Start by marking “You're in Good Paws” as Want to Read:
You're in Good Paws

You're in Good Paws

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  27 ratings  ·  25 reviews
When Leo arrives at the hospital, he is surprised to find it run by animals! A hilarious story featuring animals in human situations, perfect for fans of Zootopia and A Sick Day for Amos McGee.

Slightly distracted parents accidentally take their son, Leo, to the animal hospital to get his tonsils out.

Luckily, taking care of a human doesn't ruffle any feathers among the hosp
Expected publication: September 10th 2019 by Tundra Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about You're in Good Paws, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're in Good Paws

really liked it 4.00  ·

MissBecka
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to MissBecka by: Etienne
This is a really cute way to explain the surgery process (or hospital visits in general) to tiny humans in a fun way.
It has animals, well illustrated silly pictures and a great message.
I'm hoping that the last page of the book is an indicator this will become a series of picture books.

Thank you NetGalley and Penguin Random House Canada for my DRC.
Etienne
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amusing story about a kids who go get a surgery in an hospital run by animal, and mostly for animal... Good humor in this one and pretty illustrations. I like the idea of presenting a surgery that many children will go through, showing how an hospital work and the steps to get your surgery, etc. All that mixed with humor make it easier to get, less scary and a book that can be use for good, preparing for a surgery or an hospital stay and talk about it with your children. The end lets us think th ...more
La Coccinelle
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
This is pretty amusing. Leo's parents accidentally take him to the animal hospital to have his tonsils out. Now, this isn't just a hospital for animals... it's also a hospital run by animals! There are lots of cute touches with this premise, including an anesthesiologist sheep, a nurse who gives ear skritches, and a mouse surgeon who doesn't have opposable thumbs. I'm not sure if tonsillectomies are a common part of veterinary medicine, so I don't know how Dr. Stan knew how to do one (let alone ...more
Lacy
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
At first glance, I initially thought You're in Good Paws was quite silly and very chaotic but the more I thought about it, it's a wonderful distraction for children with anxiety. Especially for children who are worried about Doctor appointments.

I wasn't a huge fan of the illustrations but the book has a good meaning behind it. It also introduces some big medical words to spark discussion. I also recommend to fans of Doc Mcstuffins.

***Thank you to Netgalley and Penguin Random House Canada for p
Morris
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read, children-s
This is an adorable book for any older picture book readers that will also be especially helpful for any little ones nervous about a hospital procedure. The vibrant illustrations contain lots of fun details that will make it a joy to read over and over again.

This honest and unbiased review is based upon a complimentary copy provided by the publisher.
Lily
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arcs
***Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for giving me a free ARC in exchange for an honest review!***

This book is PURE FUN. It absolutely cracked me up!
Premise: Boy goes to hospital to get his tonsils out, but then he finds out that the hospital is run by animals!

From the moment I saw this title on Netgalley, I knew I would love it. It was an adorable story with delightful illustrations and a silly concept for kids, but it also had hilarious phrases that would crack adults up (they cracked
Ren HappilyBuriedInBooks
A (human) boy called Leo arrives at the animal hospital for surgery to remove his tonsils, but he is the only one to notice that the children’s hospital is next door.

You’re in Good Paws written by Maureen Fergus follows Leo throughout his visit to the hospital for a tonsillectomy, from shared parking lot to waiting room to grooming area to being discharged. Wait, the grooming area?! Walking across the parking lot shared by the animal and children’s hospitals, his mother promises that the hospit
joyce w. laudon
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book combines fact and whimsy to amusing effect. The story is about human boy Leo who will be having a tonsillectomy. He goes to the hospital with his parents only to find that it is run by animals. Some of the staff treat Leo like an animal, asking things like if he was the runt of the litter and when he had his last rabies shot. He is given a cone collar after surgery until he assures the staff that he will not eat from the floor or chew on his leg. Mixed in with the vet facts is informat ...more
Andrew
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Leo needs an operation to remove his tonsils, he's nervous, not to mention a little skeptical of the animal clientele at the hospital. This book is full of subtle jokes and puns regarding the different hospital animals he meets, and doubles as a great book to help explain what happens when you go to have a surgery of any kind. Whether you're looking for a chuckle or a way to demystify hospital visits to children, you're sure to be in good paws with this story.
Victoria
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun story about having to go the hospital. Great for children who are afraid of doctors. Tons of fun illustrations. Recommend this to children who don't even have to go.
Elizabeth Seibel
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you #netgalley for giving me a copy of #YoureInGoodPaws to review. This is a cute story about a little boy going to the hospital for a tonsil surgery. Instead of taking him to the regular hospital, his parents take him to the animal hospital. He finds that odd, but goes with it. I think this would be a good story for a kid who is nervous about going to the hospital. Very cute with an end spread that would also make a cute book.
Myarn
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
You're in Good Paws by Maureen Fergus 4 stars

I saw the cover on this book and requested an ARC right away. I usually don't review children's books, but I found this to be charming. This would be a wonderful book to read to a child who might be facing a hospital stay or an outpatient procedure. I found the illustrations to be whimsical and fun. I also thought that there was a subtle lesson on not judging a book by its cover or competence by size.

Thank you Netgalley and Penguin Random House Canada
Michele
Apr 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Leo's distracted parents accidentally take him to get his tonsils out at the animal hospital instead of the people hospital! The story will appeal to all kinds of animal lovers. This awesome hospital is also staffed by entertaining and very competent furry and feathered friends. I think it's hilarious that the anesthesiologist is a sheep, and Leo has to count sheep to go to sleep before surgery! The book will make a great lap read; there's so much humor in the detailed illustrations: could open ...more
Storywraps
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful story that kids will love. Leo needs to go to the hospital for a tonsillectomy and he is kind of nervous. His parents accompany him the day of his surgery but they walk right by the Children's Hospital and enter into the Animal Hospital.

"Are you sure we went in the right door!" asked Leo.
"Of course I'm sure!" laughed his dad.
Then he presented Leo to the chicken at the admissions desk."

Leo goes through the standard procedures of checking in but with an animal twist...the ch
Stephanie
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Maureen Fergus is back with a new charming and hilarious little story in You’re in Good Paws illustrated by Kathryn Durst.

In this new super cute little story, Leo has to get his tonsils removed and is a little bit nervous. He questions their decision to bring him in through the animal hospital doors but quickly puts it out of his mind as everyone is so kind. From the chicken at the admissions desk, Nurse Lorraine who happens to be a cow and Dr. Stan, a mouse. Everyone takes really good care of L
Vonda
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I must admit, I loved this book! If I had any littles at home, I could picture us reading this again and again. The story and dialog will appeal to kids and adults alike! This is the type of book I would go out and buy for my local private school that has no funding for their little library, just because it’s fun!

Little Leo (a young human boy) learns he must have his tonsils out. He is a bit nervous about the prospect. As he and his parents arrive at the hospital, he’s not so sure he’s in the ri
Mandi Murphy
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, arc, lindy, picture-books
I can't tell you how much this book tickled me.

It's silly, which is pretty much a guaranteed win with the pre-k crowd. But it also actually teaches about what happens when you get your tonsils out. I don't think I've ever seen a picture book that covered that material before. The illustrations were perfect. I loved them.

When I read it to my daughter I asked her at the end if she thought that Leo should go to the elementary school or the obedience school. She's only 3 so I had to explain what e
Cat
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
This was one peculiar story- a boy, having his tonsils removed, is taken to an animal hospital, run by animals. That no one seems to think if odd, was a bit bizarre.... but the outcome is happy and the child has a fairly good time while at the hospital. Illustrations fit text very well. I think littles will get a kick out of it. But better explain that folks go to people hospitals with humans taking car of them. Real littles might be very disappointed animals aren't going to care for them!

I rec
Leah Horton
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
You’re In Good Paws is a story about a young boy named Leo who has surgery to get his tonsils out. I really loved how this book took something scary and serious and made it a bit silly by putting Leo into a world of talking animals. Explaining how the surgery would work from intake to discharge. A great book for any child who has to have surgery.

I loved how colourful the illustrations were as well as how simple the explanations were.
Reading Mom.me
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
A silly story about a little boy going to a hospital that’s run by animals! This would be a great book for any child feeling nervous about an upcoming surgery or hospital visit. They go through the basic steps of what to expect before and after surgery in a fun child friendly way. The illustrations are so cute and all in all a very sweet book. Thank you netgalley for this ARC I’m exchange for my honest review
Michelle
Jun 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, netgalley
***Thanks to the publisher and #NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review***

I'm not sure how I feel about this book. I felt like it was Zootopia/Twilight Zone mash-up. Was the little boy an animal or were his parents confused? I know I shouldn't be delving too deeply into a children's book, but I'll admit this had me scratching my head a little.
Helena#bookdreamer
Jun 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Thank you netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Great storybook that illustrates and narrates the story of a young boy getting surgery and the hospital staff who help him through the process. Well put together.
Bonnye Reed
Jun 20, 2019 is currently reading it
Netgalley
pub date Sept 10, 2019
Penguin Random House Canada
Tundra Books
Raymond Library
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Great concept, but poorly executed. The human going to the "vet" did not work really well. If there had been other humans in the hospital, I think it would have worked out better.
Amber Webb
Jun 30, 2019 rated it liked it
You're in Good Paws was the story of learning to trust even when you're scared and learning how to adapt to new situations. Teaching children trust can be difficult, but this story handled it in a very positive way and helped children learn how to prepare to trust new people before school starts.
Illustrations were fun, story engaging, but I wish it had ended differently. I was left feeling as though there should have been more.
OjoAusana
Jun 30, 2019
Kimberly Wright Oelkers
is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2019
When I was growing up, the idea of becoming a fiction writer never crossed my mind. At university, I studied science and business. After I graduated, I held jobs in the aerospace, biopharmaceutical and financial services industries. I was ready for life in the corporate fast lane.

Then, six weeks after our first daughter was born, my husband suggested that I try writing. Thinking that it might be a