Start by marking “Master of the Game” as Want to Read:
Master of the Game

Master of the Game

(The Game #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  47,199 ratings  ·  1,574 reviews
One of Sidney Sheldon's most popular and bestselling titles, repackaged and reissued for a new generation of fans. Kate Blackwell is one of the richest and most powerful women in the world. She is an enigma, a woman surrounded by a thousand unanswered questions. Her father was a diamond prospector who struck it rich beyond his wildest dreams. Her mother was the daughter of ...more
Published 1993 by Harper Collins Publisher (first published August 1982)

·  47,199 ratings  ·  1,574 reviews

Diana
Sep 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I know what you're thinking. "How can you possibly rate this soap opera of a novel as highly as The Bell Jar?! You have lost all credibility now that you've included pseudo-romance novels on your goodreads list!"

All I can say is, this book is the literary equivalent of crack.

Sidney Sheldon is a surprisingly talented writer, and the plot twists are many and dramatic. You might throw your copy against a wall in frustration over a character's actions. You will definitely lose sleep when you obses
Nazia
WHAT THE HELL DID I READ!!!!!! WILL SOMEONE TELL ME?????? I am speechless,this book is absoultely BRILLIANT!!!!! Too good for words. I have never in my life read such kind of book. I don't have any idea how in living hell am I gonna review this book because I don't think I am capable enough or good enough with words to describe what I went through while reading it or what I am feeling after completing it.

This book is truely entertaining and it's a kind of book which you get to read once in 10 y
Ahmad Sharabiani
Master of the Game, Sidney Sheldon
Master of the Game is a novel by Sidney Sheldon, first published in hardback format in 1982. Spanning four generations in the lives of the fictional McGregor/Blackwell family, the critically acclaimed novel spent four weeks at number one on the New York Times Best Seller List, and was later adapted into a 1984 television miniseries.
عنوانها: استاد بازی؛ آرزوهای یک زن؛ زنی در قمار زندگی؛ نویسنده: سیدنی شلدون؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سیزدهم ماه ژانویه سال 2002 میلادی
عن
Pang

This is the first Sheldon's book I read and I want to applaud. Not only it's unputdownable but also unpredictable book. What can I say? The writing style is superb! Every chapter does not end with the cliff-hanger, but it end with the twist.

The story is very well-planed. Master of the Game told the story of the Mcgregor, the Diamond-trading
Jokoloyo
Jun 22, 2017 rated it liked it
By reading this novel, I understood what is a page-turner. This soap opera style story is not my thing, but I managed to finish the novel pretty quick.

I read this novel in my younger days and I don't dare to read this book nowadays. It is one of the I-would-like-this-book-better-at-my-younger-age book with the standard television drama show plots. This book was a good novel and I could still remember the main plot. I was charmed by the storytelling for a reader with no reading preference yet.
Shilpa
Apr 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erm.. This was my first Sheldon novel when I was still in the idea that he was a she. I'm still perplexed as to whether put this as a book which I love to hate or hate to love.

I was wildly cheering for Jamie all though his doomed-to-fail crazy plan to steal the Van der Merve diamonds with Banda.
And then he did a total 180 degree on Margaret and became an misdirectedly cruel and vengeful sadist.
It was similar with Kate. I liked her when she risked everything for her friendship with Banda. But all
Angie B
Feb 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I first read this book when I was 12 years old; I had nothing to read one Friday night, so borrowed this from my Mum's bookshelf, without asking her. I started reading and from the prologue onwards I was completely hooked! I huddled under my duvet, with a torch, unable to put it down and had finished it by Sunday. I was completely mesmorised by the sheer scope of the material; the locations, the exciting adventures of Jamie and Banda and their tentative yet heartfelt friendship. I felt sorry for ...more
Avanthika
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kate Blackwell’s empire was spawned by pure ambition and greed, and she oscillates in my mind as proud, self-obsessed woman all in shades of grey! Sidney Shelton’s heroines have always been ruthless, powerful, ambitious and brainy. Kate’s nothing short of this combination. This deadly woman goes around shuffling the cards of her own family members to fuel her naked ambition.
Story of passion, manipulation, hardships and betrayal. There are logic holes and no apparent reason why the characters of
PurplyCookie
Sheldon's story of big business, lust, greed, and revenge spans four generations, starting with Jamie McGregor, who leaves Scotland in 1850 to strike it rich in the diamond fields of South Africa. He overcomes many hardships, becomes a millionaire, and starts the Kruger-Brent company.

His daughter, Kate, pushes the company until it becomes a world-wide conglomerate, and moves her headquarters to America. To her chagrin, her son Tony wants to be a painter, not a businessman. His twin daughters, A
Elizabeta
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, owned
What a book! 100 years of Blackwell family history felt like I've read several awesome books. Great story!
Noriko
Dec 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sidney Sheldon is my very first grown-up author whose books I once devoured.
It's been such a long time since I last read his books, but I vaguely remember his books always have a surprising twist in the end, so I went into this book - allegedly one of his most popular books - with high expectations.

On the whole, I enjoyed reading this book. This is, as the title suggests, a grand tale of a game called 'life' spanning over four generations played mostly by the protagonist, Kate Blackwell, a domi
Eric
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Well - a confession must be made, I find it embarrassing when some people frequently tell me nowadays that I have done well to review "many African books and writers...you are one of the few readers who obviously read virtually only African books". Alas, this is patently untrue! It would shock such people to learn that over the years, most - actually like over 80 percent! - of my reading, has involved Eurocentric writers and their work. Why I might focus on reviewing African works is simple: I r
Anshu
Is it a great book? Not really. Is it worth reading? Definitely. Aren't only great books worth reading? You say, I'm just 17. All I know is that I enjoyed it thoroughly.
This was my first Sidney Sheldon and this won't be my last.
The story is of greed, lust, ambition, manipulation, revenge and big business that threads its way through 4 generations of a family. It starts with Jamie McGregor, who is lured to South Africa by the diamond rush and receives betrayal for his unmitigated hardwork. The lu
Kaung Myat Han
Sep 30, 2010 rated it it was ok
A close friend's stepfather insisted me to read this novel "Master of the Game" by Sidney Sheldon telling me that it was one of his all-time favorite novels. He even felt obliged to lend me his copy. Well, what could I say? I looked at the paperback book and it's nearly 500 pages long. I finished the book anyway. It is about four generations of McGregor family. So, it's more like an epic story. My only favorite part was the captivating story about Jamie McGregor's adventures and how he tried har ...more
Rolyn
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
It should have been 4 stars but as Kate said, "I am a woman. I have a right to change my mind.". And please forgive me if you found my choice of words offensive. I am quite nice in person. Really.

When Van der Merwe asked Jamie to sign a contract written in foreign language, I was suspicious. You can be duped even if a contract was in a language that you understand. And Jamie signing a contract with a stranger in a language that he doesn't understand was downright lunacy.
description
Van der Merwe is a low-li
Jessica
Jul 05, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my worst enemy
I just finished reading the most depressing, pointless, IRRITATING book in existence. Everyone asks what your favorite book is, but now if anyone ever asks what my least favorite is, I have an answer. Until today, I would have said I love all books!

DO NoT read Master of the Game by Sydney Sheldon. Just don't. There is not a likeable character in the book. Okay, there's one, but he's a VERY minor character. Banda is a black man living in South Africa in the early part of the century, fighting for
Ioanna Xristodoyloy
Θα σας το πω οτι ακριβως σκεφτηκα την ωρα που εκλεισα την τελευταια σελιδα...ω θεε μου τι βιβλιο ηταν αυτο που διαβασα!!!Απο σημερα για μενα το βιβλιο αυτο περναει στο πανθεον των κοινωνικων βιβλιων...αγαπουσα τον σελντον αλλα με αυτο το βιβλιο μου απεδειξε οτι εχει μια απο της πιο εξυπνες και δυνατες πενες παγκοσμιως..ενα βιβλιο κινηματογραφικο και γρηγορο που λεπτο πιστεψτεμε δεν σε αφηνει να πληξεις...η ανατροπη διαδεχεται η μια την αλλη αφηνωντας σας κυριολεκτικα αλαλους...οχι απλα δεν μπορο ...more
Jane Stewart
Dec 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Mixed feelings. Audiobook narrator needs improvement.

The book is broken into four parts - the lives of different generations in the family.

I loved the first part - Jamie’s story. He goes to South Africa to find diamonds.

The second part was ok about Jamie’s daughter Kate.

The third part was depressing - Tony’s story. Kate does evil things and permanently harms her son Tony.

The fourth part was about Eve and Alexandria - identical twins. That was the most troubling. I was depressed reading this part
Crime Addict Sifat
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kate Blackwell is one of the wealthiest and most capable ladies on the planet. She is a puzzle, a lady encompassed by a thousand unanswered inquiries. Her dad was a jewel miner who struck it rich beyond anything he could ever imagine. Her mom was the girl of a slanted Afrikaaner shipper. Her origination was itself a demonstration of abhor filled retribution.

At the extravagent festivities of her ninetieth birthday celebration, there are toasts from a Supreme Court Judge and a wire from the White
Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic
Actually I got this book from my Aunt, she loves reading Sidney Sheldon novels and the book itself is old, hmm I love those old books.. So, I decided to give it a try. . It's been a week that I haven't continue this.. Whole week for exams and tons to study. The story here is per generation.. Starting with Jamie McGregor, then her daughter Kate Blackwell,then her son Tony, and lastly Kate's two granddaughters Eve and Alexandra.

the Main Characters, Kate Blackwell is manipulative. She wants what i
Anirudh
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book was gifted to me by a friend and so I read my first Sidney Sheldon. I had expected much from such a well known author but as with many famous books, I found this more hyped than it deserves.

Though the story spans a 100 years and intrigues the reader in the beginning, the simple writing style soon ruins it. I do not mind if the narration is straight forward, but in this book the narration was so simple it could have been a 6th grade text book had it not been for the adult content. Full
Brian
Sep 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
i got this book and mutant message down under back when i was 15 or so from a friend. i traded her 'the stand' and another book for these two.

i remembered mmdu and thought of it as a book that opened up my ideas of life and fell back on the idea of that book as a building block for my future. whatever the hell that means.

but, i couldnt recall this book. and i thought that this book changed me in a similar way. fast forward about 13 years and i find that lady again via the internet, my main goal
Manugw
Jun 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
PURE ENTERTAINMENT
This is a saga of a millionaire family spanning five generations during the XX century from the beginning of times in South Africa where a recent arrived Scottish penny less cunning and ambitious immigrant, Jamie Blackwell pushed his luck to make the beginning of a huge fortune in the diamond business, all the way to the end of the century where his daughter Kate almost ninety years old get desperate to find her successor to run the family now multi million dollar conglomerate.
Paula
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
About ten pages into this book I was reminded of a time when the book publishing world was full of these kinds of sprawling, multi-generational sagas that were just begging to be made into television mini-series events. I had read some of those books, but I'd never read any by Sidney Sheldon. This book was compulsively readable, especially the first half, with its descriptions of diamond-fever in South Africa, and its larger-than-life characters. By the second half, I was usually a step ahead, a ...more
Alessandra Torre
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Picked up this book at a used bookstore somewhere - hadn't read Sidney Sheldon in a while.

The storyline of this book was amazing - twists and turns, action and deceit, through five generations of one family. You know how in every freaking writing class out there, the teacher harps on you 'not to tell things, but show them". This book is a lot of telling. It almost has to be, because the author's trying to fit so damn much in one book. I would have preferred to see this book as five separate nove
Salymar
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time writing a review for this PURELY AWESOME book.
I found exactly in this novel the things (not to mention the quality) I'm looking for. SERIOUSLY.
This is truly one of Sheldon's most sensational masterpiece!
A Sheldon Magic!

Once again Sheldon you created an "unputdownable" book that would make us -- the reader’s heart beat faster with the turn of each page.

ASDHLSUIGSDKGJS PERFEECT!
Vicky Ziliaskopoulou
Βασικά, 2,5 αστέρια, τα 3 τα βρίσω πολλά...
Είναι το πρώτο βιβλίο του συγγραφέα που διαβάζω και νομίζω ότι δεν θα ασχοληθώ άλλο μαζί του. Πραγματικά, θα ήθελα να πιστέψω ότι διάβασα διαφορετικό βιβλίο από αυτό που περιγράφετε στις υπόλοιπες κριτικές, αλλά διαβάζοντας κάποιες βλέπω ότι αναφέρονται άτομα και γεγονότα που συνάντησα στο αντίτυπο που διάβασα, οπότε τελικά με λύπη μου διαπιστώνω ότι απλά διαφωνώ.
Για εμένα ήταν ένα μέτριο βιβλίο. Ήταν αρκετά ενδιαφέρον ώστε να έχω μια περιέργεια για το
Ioanna Bouna
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Πραγματικα με ενθουσιασε αυτο το βιβλιο!!!!μπηκα τοσο πολυ μεσα στο στορυ που το απολαυσα!!!ηταν καλογραμμενο και τα ειχε ολα , τι ερωτες , τι ιντριγκες ,τι ανατροπες !!!!Ιωαννα σουπερ η επιλογη σου :)
Marta A. Santos
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uma estreia com este autor e com a sua obra, e penso que não poderia ter pedido uma estreia melhor.
Um livro onde acompanhamos a vida da Kate Blackwell desde a sua infância até se tornar numa das mulheres mais ricas e poderosas do mundo. Acompanhamos também a história da sua família, começando com os seus pais e avô e terminando no tempo presente com as suas netas e o seu bisneto.
Um autor com uma escrita bastante fluída e que nos consegue transportar para os locais que estão a ser descritos.
Goste
Pooja Banga
Nov 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: november-reads
wahaaa 34 253 Jul 01, 2018 12:12PM
Need Suggestions 1 18 Jun 01, 2016 05:29AM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Series (6-8 books?) family whose fortune was made by gold [s] 3 37 Jan 20, 2014 04:08PM

• Sidney Sheldon's Mistress of the Game
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Prodigal Daughter (Kane & Abel, #2)
  • The Second Lady
  • The Class
  • Remembrance
  • I'll Take Manhattan
  • Lucky (Lucky Santangelo, #2)
  • Filter (The Von Strassenberg Saga, #1)
Sidney Sheldon (1917-2007) was an American writer who won awards in three careers—a Broadway playwright, a Hollywood TV and movie screenwriter, and a best-selling novelist.

His TV works spanned a twenty-year period during which he created I Dream of Jeannie (1965-70), Hart to Hart (1979-84), and The Patty Duke Show (1963-66), but it was not until after he turned 50 and began writing best-selling no

The Game (2 books)
  • Sidney Sheldon's Mistress of the Game
“I'm a woman. I have a right to change my mind.” 292 likes
“Business is a game, played for fantastic stakes, and you're in competition with experts. If you want to win, you have to learn to be a master of the game.” 177 likes