Start by marking “The Three Horrid Little Pigs” as Want to Read:
The Three Horrid Little Pigs

The Three Horrid Little Pigs

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  213 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
What happens when the three little pigs are so horrid they even drive their own mother crazy? She sends them away to make their own homes. The first little pig steals straw from the cows in the field to build his house and the second little pig takes the twigs from the birds to build his house. The third little pig is so lazy he just moves into a chicken coop and now the h ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Tiger Tales

To ask other readers questions about The Three Horrid Little Pigs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Horrid Little Pigs

Tracey
Jul 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
-Use to discuss manners or stereotypes (What are our expectations for the wolf?? Are they accurate??)
-Introduce a lesson on farm animals (pigs, chickens, roosters, cows)
-Re-write the story as a play and perform
-Word endings –ig
-Pig characteristics- real v. fiction
-Practice ordinal numbers (first, second, third)
-Sequencing- students put events in order
-Use a Venn Diagram to compare/contrast
-Vowel sounds- short i (chin, big, pig) short u (huff, puff)
-Cost-benefit analysis http://www.econedlink.org
Magila
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Yet another retelling of the Three Little Pigs. I didn't like this quite as much as I liked The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, but it was close. I found the message of not being horrid, or lazy, and instead being kind and a team player, to be sweet and teachable. Give it a try.

The illustrations were great fun. The way this book could have been just a little bit better is if the pigs had been wearing Manchester U scarves.

Recommend.
AMY
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grades K-2
John
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked how they turned out now to be three horrid pigs because they shared, they made a new pig home, they made a place where everybody can stay, like in The Day the Crayons Came Home, but nobody said anything at the end.
Mel Ann
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too cute. These horrid little pigs learned a thung or two from the friendly wolf.
Sarah Thalmann
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In this twist on "The Three Little Pigs," Liz Pichon, the self-proclaimed "very nice" author and illustrator, takes the side of the wolf. In her version, the three little pigs are evicted by their mother due to their horrible behavior. The wolf is merely trying to help the two pigs who built poorly constructed houses and defend the chickens that were expelled from their coop by the third pig, but the pigs reject his advances. When the pigs are driven from their dwellings, they take a fancy to th ...more
Storywraps
May 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What does horrid mean? According to the dictionary horrid means exceedingly bad, hideous, causing horror. So why would such an adjective be attached to the three little pigs? Well these particular three little pigs were horrid indeed. They would steal cupcakes and things from innocent animals. They would swing from the chandelier in their home and, oh dread, ....they even drew a mustache on poor Mommy Pig's portrait. Finally, even their mother has had enough of their shenanigans and sends them o ...more
Jenna Jankowski
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a traditional literature story. The unique feature of this book is the twist that it has! Instead of the typical big, bad wolf, this wolf is actually nice and helpful. In this version of the story, the pigs are mean to the wolf. It is a very unique and fun version of this well known story. I would give this book a B+.
N. Hyett
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this book a very interesting book to read to KS1 students. Everyone always assumes that the wolf is a bad animal and that the pigs are always innocent but in this book the rules are thrown upside down with very interesting results.

The book is about three naughty pigs who live at home and drive their mother round the bend. She has had enough and tells them to leave. The book then follows the concept of the three little pigs nursery rhyme but with a twist, these are bad pigs who are lazy.
Melissathomas
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
The book tells the story of three pretty horrid pigs. They are so rude and mean, so just like the traditional tale their own mother evicts them from her house out into the world to build their own homes. Of course, they are far too lazy to give it much of an effort, with each pig stealing sticks,bricks and straw from other animals.

Enter the friendly, neighborhood carpenter Wolf. One by one, he attempts to help the horrid pigs build homes from the usual their stolen materials. But are they gratef
Kalyn Ware
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Three Horrid Little Pigs by Liz Pichon is such a cute little book which derives from the original fairy tale story. This book is written from the "big bad wolfs" point of view, rather than the pigs. The wolf explains that the silly little pigs were building their house from straw, sticks and a hens nest, and he was merely trying to help. He makes a point that the pigs were the mean ones when he only had offered his experties in building. It ends with the three little pigs climbing down the w ...more
Christina Hyde
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a fractured fairy tale and a different take on the classic 3 little pigs. I enjoyed this book for many reasons, one being that I like stories told from different characters' perspectives. This story portrays the wolf as the protagonist and the three little pigs as the antagonists.

The visual aspect of this book alone is really beautiful. The pages are very colorful and imaginative. The words become larger for important phrases and themes. Animals and objects are more colorful than t
Aaron Siclovan
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is a twist on the familiar fairy tale "The three Little Pigs." The phrase 'I will huff and puff' is also in the story. The character roles are reversed in this book. The wolf tries to help the lazy pigs to build there homes, but the pigs warn that they will blow their houses down. the wolf tries to save the chicks from the third pigs new chicken scoop home. In the end, the pigs want to take the wolf's house, but after breaking in the four become friends.
The illustrations in this book a
Roslyn Ross
Mar 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
-This book would be very funny to the kids who were familiar with the classic story. It's very entertaining, but it has nothing to say
-In the beginning the mother viscously throws the pigs out for being horrible. Not really a healthy emotional message to send your kids.
-If this book does teach anything it's to be nice nice nice to everyone all the time regardless of how they treat you. Again, not exactly the message I want to send to my kids--respectful, yes, oblivious pushover, no.
-Also this bo
Michael
This book was pure genius. One caveat is that you have to be pretty familiar with the original three little pigs story for this book to have the intended impact, but that was no problem in our house as we have probably read it a hundred times in half a dozen versions. The scene at the beginning with Mama kicking them out is a shocker, but hey these pigs are horrid, and the helpfulness of the wolf knows no bounds as the story unfolds. We loved the ending! (view spoiler) ...more
Mahima Elango
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is a twist on the story of the three little pigs. In this book, the three pigs are horrid and the wolf is lovely and friendly. The wolf asks the pigs if he can come into their houses and help them build their houses however the pigs are rude to him and tell him to go away. In the end all the pigs lose their houses and end up outside the wolfs house where he makes them some soup and they all become friends.

This book is great for ks1 and keeps children interested as many have heard the
Missmath144
The three horrid little pigs are so bad that their mother kicks them out of the house. The kind wolf tries to help the first two little pigs build better houses, but they are very rude to him. When the third pig moves into the hen house and chases the hens out, the wolf invites the hens to live with him in his brick house. When all three horrid little pigs end up homeless and try to break into the wolf's house by coming down the chimney, see what the wolf does with a boiling pot of soup.
Heidi-Marie
This was a cute version of the 3 little pigs. In fact, I think I prefer it to a lot. Maybe because of its overly cheesy and happy ending. (I do like myself a happy ending now and then.) There is a bit of humor in the illustrations that might be missed in a storytime setting. But the difference to a familiar story would still keep their interest. While it could work with a preschool group, I may consider saving this for a K-5 or PJ group instead.
Becky
Oct 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a cute story of a very kind, friendly and helpful wolf. It's always nice to read a story about a nice wolf since they are generally the bad guys! I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book and the comments that the author included in the pictures and not in the text. This story is fun to read and fun to listen to. Kids will get a kick out of it as long as they know the original story and they will love the end where everyone gets along!
Erin
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Think the Wolf is big and bad? Not in this story! The three pigs are the terribly misbehaved ones. They steal things from other animals to make their poorly constructed houses. The Wolf (who works in construction) simply wants to help them build something stronger.

Good for preschool storytimes.
Mandy
Mar 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
(4.5 stars)

Mama Pig was being driven crazy by her three horrid little pigs, so she sent them away to live on their own. They did a horrid job of building homes for themselves and a sweet wolf passing by offered to help. But the three pigs got all in a huff and rudely refused his help.
Cassi Dick
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a cool spin off of "The Three Little Pigs." It shows three naughty pigs and a nice wolf. I think it is great to show children different versions of books so they can make connections. Perfect for a 1st grade class.
Kira Richardson
May 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
This book is another rendition of the original Three Little Pigs. It was a cute books that can be connected to several literacy units! I think the story of the Three Little Pigs has the most versions of any other stories and students would love to find and read the different stories available.
Abby Ratliff
Oct 28, 2014 rated it liked it
It's a very funny twist on the three little pigs. If you introduced this book through read aloud I bet kids would love to try it for independent reading. Very fun read.

Genre: traditional literature
Paula

When their mother sends them packing, three pigs find despicable ways to find new accommodations, but when the big, friendly wolf tries to show them the error of their ways, the pigs respond by huffing and puffing.
Krystal E
Apr 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this as one of my personal choices for the book challenge, because I really liked the story of the sweet little wolf, so I wanted to read another fractured fairytale. I think it's so fun to get a different perspective on a classic fairytale, and it sparks imagination in kids!
Beth
Jan 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
This variation on the classic fairy tale helps to teach manners and can be adapted for use with older preschoolers and up. There are funny moments for the pigs and an ending that with make the moms happy.
Stephanie
Nov 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Superbe histoire, belles images...
Tommy Schlosser
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Fun twist, but not as original as I would have hoped.
Molly
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
A fun (little builder friendly) redux of the three little pigs.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Potato Joe
  • Working Cotton
  • The Drinking Gourd: A Story of the Underground Railroad
  • King Arthur's Very Great Grandson
L. Pichon says that when she was little, she loved to draw, and her mom said she was very good at making a mess (this is still true today). She kept drawing, went to art school, became a designer and art director at Jive Records, and began to publish children’s books. After its publication in the U.K., The Brilliant World of Tom Gates won several prestigious awards, including the Roald Dahl Funny ...more
More about Liz Pichon