Start by marking “Interred with Their Bones (Kate Stanley, #1)” as Want to Read:
Interred with Their Bones (Kate Stanley, #1)

Interred with Their Bones

(Kate Stanley #1)

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  7,241 ratings  ·  1,243 reviews
INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER

"A feverishly paced action adventure" (The New York Times) about a long-lost Shakespeare work and a killer who reenacts the Bard's most bloody murders

On the eve of the Globe's production of Hamlet, Shakespeare scholar and theater director Kate Stanley's eccentric mentor Rosalind Howard gives her a mysterious box, claiming to have made a groundbreak
Published September 1st 2008 by Plume Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Interred with Their Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interred with Their Bones

·  7,241 ratings  ·  1,243 reviews

Start your review of Interred with Their Bones (Kate Stanley, #1)
Supratim
A long time ago, I had heard about a theory that Shakespeare did not write the plays he is credited with. He was just a “front” for some aristocrat who was the actual author. I attributed this theory to some imaginative conspiracy buff(s) and totally forgot about it.

When I came across this book recently, it piqued my interest (the blurb helped a lot) and I borrowed it form my friend.

A young director Kate, an American who is in London to direct Hamlet at Shakespeare’s Globe is visited by her old
erin
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Man, everyone is taking this too seriously. Suspend disbelief and read the novel as a novel! This is not supposed to be literary fiction or intellectually hip nonfiction. This is essentially a murder mysteryish lit thriller! Sheesh!

I may have more warm fuzzies for this book because it kept me entertained while being sick for way too long, but I completely enjoyed it. While I get the Dan Brown comparisons as this was a run-around-the-world-and-find-out-secret-scholarly-stuff-and-other-conspiracie
John
Jan 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Peoplpe I dislike. Vivisectionists etc.
Recommended to John by: Simon Mayo Book Panel - what a bunch of plonkers
Oh my... it didn't go well at all.... how can this possibly be the same book that some people have given 4 or 5 stars to. It really baffles me.

I am one of those poor/deluded individuals [and yes - I actually believe there are more of us than some would admit] that actually enjoyed the Da Vinci Code. Believe me.... it was a literary masterpiece in comparison to this nightmare.

Against my better judgement I continued reading long past the point where the book usually gets sent to a furnace. I am n
Alison
Sep 04, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Good lord in heaven, this book is a train wreck. It's almost impressive that a plot this unoriginal could also be so maddeningly complicated. I'm somewhat familiar with Shakespeare's plays and the times in which he wrote them, but the jumbled cast of historical characters is impossible to keep straight. I'm surprised the affectedly plucky leading lady could keep track of her own research.

And, of course, the reader is treated to plenty of clichéd (or "classic," if you're being generous) mystery
Angela
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have a confession to make, and it is this: I am simultaneously repelled by and attracted to books that shamelessly mention The Da Vinci Code in their blurbs. I think a small part of me keeps hoping that somebody will come along that will take what Dan Brown tried to do with that book and do it again, only better.

The problem is, Interred with Their Bones doesn't do this. It has one major advantage over The Da Vinci Code in that Carrell's prose is infinitely more able than Brown's, but once you
Alan
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Unintelligible romp through pseudo history, December 27, 2008
By Alan A. Elsner "Alan Elsner, author" (Washington DC) - See all my reviews

I thought that this book, promising a historic romp through Elizbathan England, probing the many mysteries surrounding the life and identity of William Shakespeare, would be just up my alley. It combines several themes I love -- history, thrillers, England and Shakespeare. Unfortunately, it fell far short of its promise.
The author clearly loves her history
Heidi
Apr 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
While I agree with previous reviews that this book, billed as another DaVinci Code, doesnt compare, I still thought it was a pretty good read. I was fascinated by all the Shakespeare theories and liked the dual time period aspect. So life was a little too easy for the heroine (she narrowly escaped death or arrest too many times to remember) but it was still pretty entertaining.
Riegs
Abandoned because this literary cliche is really starting to irk me. Another member of the Dan Brown School of Lazy History Mysteries, "Interred With Their Bones" is irritating from the beginning. Let's follow the formula, shall we?

1a. Main Character: Literary expert in their field, especially on a specific cult author or text. Text tends to be European. In the case of Graham Moore's eyeroll-worthy book "The Sherlockian," it was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. In this case, MC Kate Stanley is an expert
LJ
INTERRED WITH THEIR BONES (Suspense-Kate Stanley-Int’l-Cont) – G
Carrell, Jennifer Lee – 1st novel
Dutton, 2007, US Hardcover – ISBN: 9780525949701

First Sentence: From the river, it looked as if two suns were setting over London.

Kate Stanley is a Shakespeare scholar who has left the halls of academia for the boards of the Globe Theatre. Her Harvard mentor and friend, Rosalind “Roz” Howard, comes to see her as Kate is preparing her debut of “Hamlet,” giving her a wrapped present and asking that the
Brooke
Sep 24, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009, thriller
I had warned myself long ago about avoiding books that tried to jump on the DaVinci Code bandwagon, since they seemed to be slapped together without much care in hopes of capturing the attention of one of the millions of people who had spent money on Dan Brown's blockbuster. I let down my guard with Interred with Their Bones - it was about Shakespeare, not mysterious religious texts, after all. Missing Shakespeare plays! The secret identity of the playwright! Should be excellent.

Except, not.

I w
Christa
Jul 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I found this book to be fast moving, action packed, and engrossing. The life of Kate Stanley, a former Shakespearean academician and current Shakespearean play director, is shaken when her former mentor, Roz, visits her and is then found dead after a fire in the theater where Kate is working. Kate was given a gift by her mentor hours before her death, and it is the first clue to solving a Shakespearean puzzle. Kate chases clues from England to Harvard University to the American southwest, and th ...more
Petra
Aug 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
I listened to this on audio and it was a good recording. The reader kept pace well and distinguished the various voices.
The storyline, though, leaves a lot to be desired. It's twisted, convoluted and jumps direction in obvious efforts to make the story fit, rather than the author letting the story lead the way. It's contrived and stilted because of this.
The use of descriptively flowery similies was awful and they were everywhere. "Smoke swept down the side of the building like luxurious tresse
Oreotalpa
Nov 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Carol Douglas
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've just re-read this book. I don't re-read many mysteries, but this was worth reading a second time. I'm passionate about the works of Shakespeare and any good books about them. If you're also a Shakespeare nerd, you must read this book. But even if you're not, it's a good read.

Kate Stanley, the "detective," is a Shakespearean scholar turned director of his plays. The mystery is about deaths of people who are also involved in work about Shakespeare.

Some of them are deeply concerned about the
Melissa
Feb 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Several months back I happened on a book called Codex which I had hoped to follow in the footsteps of other books I enjoyed about lost manuscripts and literary mysteries. Codex disappointed me severely, but at last I seem to have gotten my wish with Interred with Their Bones.

If such a comparison were necessary, I'd call it a cross between Possession and The DaVinci Code. It is not quite the page-turner that Dan Brown's book is, but then it doesn't have that cheesy "tv-movie-of-the-week" feel ei
Linda
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quest
Theatre director Kate Stanley receives a gift from her mentor, who later is found murdered. Kate follows the clues in the package and is soon on the verge of discovering something extraordinary.

Being an interesting story in general, the book still runs the risk of loosing the reader's attention. There's a lack of generous descriptions and first hand perspective. Kate's feelings isn't always clear. She often seems unaware, or even ignorant, of the danger she is in, which only serves as a diminish
Plum-crazy
I've mixed feelings about this book. The idea of a modern serial killer hunting an ancient secret while dispatching his victims in ways from Shakespeare's plays certainly appealed to me & while the plot certainly runs at a cracking rate I somehow felt disappointed. The "clues" seemed to be solved with no effort at all by the heroine, who also had no problems evading the police & zipping back & forth over the Atlantic, & managing not to get herself killed in the process.

In truth, I found some of
Georgia
May 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Boy, this book was tough. I almost wanted to boost it up to 2 stars because I did make it to the end, but during the last 3 discs, I was wishing I was doing anything else. I am a Shakespeare maniac. I studied Shakespeare in grad school, have taught it to actors, stage managed Shakespeare productions, and I have a blog. It takes a lot to make me uninterested in something Shakespeare-adjacent, but Interred with Their Bones managed it.

I listened to the audio version because I have a long commute.
obsessedwithbooks
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
In Interred With Their Bones, author Jennifer Lee Carrell plunges you without delay into a suspenseful story revolving around Shakespeare and the burning of The Globe Theatre. In the present day Globe, Kate Stanley is directing soon to be premiered Hamlet when Rosalind Howard, her mentor not seen for many years, asks her to take a gift - an adventure, a secret - and follow when it leads…The Globe Theatre is on fire, the same day when The Globe Theatre burned in 1613 and Rosalind Howard is found ...more
Jessy
This book was just all around fantastic. When I was finished with all Dan Brown had to offer for Robert Langdon, I found myself at a loss when it came to finding such a thrilling, intelligent plot. Interred With Their Bones was just was I was looking for. The adrenaline rush, the intrigue, the historical info - it was just incredibly well rounded. I found it really difficult just to put it down.

The plot was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. It toyed with the mysteries around the famous poet
Caitlin
I think the best word to describe this book would be derivative. It's the kind of "international chase to uncover secrets of the past" thriller that has become rather formulaic of late. This version adds on the literary weight of Shakespeare, which only intensifies the cliche. If we're not looking for the descendants of Jesus, Shakespeare's lost play is probably the next best thing.
The novel isn't a complete loss. The writing is fact-paced and the set-up is decently entertaining. But sometimes
Laura de Leon
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, lm-book-club
This was a hugely fun chase through Shakespeare's work and Shakespeare's lore, including the question of who wrote the works we give Shakespeare's name to.

This book was exactly what it set out to be. Cryptic clues! Chases! Near Escapes!

I know enough about Shakespeare that most of the references in the book rang a bell, but not enough that I could say if any of the conclusions they drew from the clues actually made sense. They all sounded good in the book, though.

With any book of this sort, you
Tracey
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, fiction, 2010
It was okay as book reads go. The story line was out there and wholly unbelievable which made it fun.

I brought this book at a second hand book store and having finished the book found the following written black biro at the back:
"I, Matthew Jamieson 17/04/2008, Solemley swear that if I should ever, in the future attempt to wear muscle shirts and look "cool" when I am clearly not, that I will immediately cease this behaviour, or else have my ass kicked. Sincerely Matthew Jamieson" I should point
Sue Smith
I find writing thoughts down about books like this one are hard. It wasn't bad. It wasn't breath taking either. It was a pretty action packed novel that is based on the knowledge of Shakespeare - the plots, the ins-and-outs, the characters, the drama - a mystery that was wrapped around the Bard himself.

Unfortunately, it read too much like a Dan Brown novel, but the specialist in this case was a whiz in Shakespeare lore and the holy grail was a missing play. Even the bad guy ended up being a tru
Nstob
May 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate to completely trash a book, but I really can't find anything good to say about this one. I am angry that I stuck through to see how it would end up - I wasted my time being curious.
I liked the thought of a thriller regarding a lost Shakespeare play, but that is where my liking ended.
I found it convoluted, confusing and annoying trying to keep up with the connections that were quickly put together by our heroine and all of the travel.
Characters seemed to be too convenient and paper thin i
Aoibhínn
The novel is well written entertaining and enjoyable read that combines the hunt for a modern day serial killer who kills his victims by re-enacting some of Shakespeare’s finest death scenes and some possibly true revelations from the life of William Shakespeare himself. Did Shakespeare actually write his own plays and sonnets? Was he really who he said he was? Is there a lost play? You can read the book and make up your own mind.
Christine_v
I really enjoyed this book. It was very easy to read and the story was fast and interesting. I liked all the historical information about Shakespeare and his work.
And for once I didn't hate the protagonist. At times she was blind about her companions but in general she took well the facts and tried to make the best of them.
I would recommend it, if you enjoy lots of information about Shakespeare and his life and an intense travel around the world to gather them first, before the killer.
Brian Benson
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Totally different writing style than other whodunnits I have read. Once I got into the story, I really liked her style. She definitely knows how to turn a phrase. I will for sure read her next offering...
Jane
Feb 15, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I haven't actually finished it yet, but this is the worst book I've come close to finishing in a while. Proof that I really shouldn't buy bargain books at Tesco. ...more
Tusar Thakur
Lacked suspense quotient, Tension never built, never connected with the characters. Research though seemed substantive yet lacked the punch and coherence.
Fiction Fanatics: March 2013 - Interred with their Bones 13 33 Mar 16, 2013 09:56PM
Goodreads Librari...: Help with book cover and edition 9 172 Jul 12, 2012 05:53AM
Who would be in the movie version? 3 27 Jan 02, 2012 06:27AM

• The Library of Shadows
  • The Poe Shadow
  • A Florentine Death (Michele Ferrara, #1)
  • The Art Thief
  • The Club
  • Splintered Icon
  • The Dante Trap
  • The Athenian Murders
  • The First Inspector Morse Omnibus: The Dead of Jericho, Service of All the Dead, the Silent World of Nicholas Quinn
  • The Salterton Trilogy: Tempest-Tost; Leaven of Malice; A Mixture of Frailties
  • A Lily of the Field (Inspector Troy, #7)
  • The Deptford Trilogy: Fifth Business/The Manticore/World of Wonders
  • The Coptic Secret (Lang Reilly #4)
  • The Cunning Man (Toronto Trilogy, #2)
  • Oracle Della Luna (L')
  • The Temple and the Lodge
  • Tengu
  • The Pariah
See top shelves…
I've always wanted to write books; early on, my fallback career choices were ballerina and astronaut. It has something of a surprise, though, to find myself writing thrillers. I am now working on a novel of historical fiction about one of my favorite paintings, Jan Van Eyck's Arnolfini Wedding.

Learn more at my web site: www.jenniferleecarrell.com , or visit me on Facebook . I welcome interac

Kate Stanley (2 books)
  • Haunt Me Still (Kate Stanley, #2)

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...
“That the good that we do might live on after us, while the evil lies interred with their bones.” 10 likes
“If you don't want the nickname, don't live up to it.” 3 likes