Start by marking “Their Troublesome Crush (Kink & Showtunes, #1)” as Want to Read:
Their Troublesome Crush (Kink & Showtunes, #1)

Their Troublesome Crush

(Kink & Showtunes #1)

In this queer polyamorous m/f romance novella, two metamours realize they have crushes on each other while planning their shared partner's birthday party together.

Ernest, a Jewish autistic demiromantic queer fat trans man submissive, and Nora, a Jewish disabled queer fat femme cis woman switch, have to contend with an age gap, a desire not to mess up their lovely polyamor
Published April 16th 2019 by Xan West

To ask other readers questions about Their Troublesome Crush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Their Troublesome Crush

RoAnna Sylver
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gems, reviews-coming
Absolutely loved this. <3 Would absolutely love it even if I hadn't had the pleasure of editing it! So freaking sweet and validating, really funny in parts, wonderfully vulnerable and real and intensely relatable (especially to autistic readers, who definitely need more books like this).
Xan West
Hi there, this is the author. I wanted to note that you can find content warnings for this book here:
Ana
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ownvoices-trans
Boy how I wished this was longer and that I could spend more time in the world of these characters. I wish I hadn't finished it so quickly, but it was really, really hard to put down because every scene was a delight.

I also wish I could give a book over 5 stars. Maybe even 7 or 8. Their Troublesome Crush was just that singular in the way fat characters were described, how deeply the POV character's autism informed the narrative, and how attraction was described and approached.

I loved that Ernest
Like a warm hug!

[content notes can be found in front matter and on author’s website here: https://xanwest.wordpress.com/their-t...]

Reading Their Troublesome Crush felt like a warm hug. I loved how noticeably autistic Ernest is and getting to see him stim and flap felt so lovely. I loved all the chosen family and the ways all the characters interacted and supported one another. I’d love to see more of Ernest with Gideon and Gideon with Nora, but I adored the slow transition of Ernest and Nora’s m
Rhiannon Grant
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
A novel which uses a point-of-view character to great effect: Ernest, at the centre of the story, explores his autistic way of seeing the world, his sexuality, and personal relationships in a style which is both engaging and endearing. In fact, every character in this story was someone I would happily have lunch with, which I can't say for every romance novel I read! Warm and open-hearted, this gentle tale of metamours becoming friends and then romantically involved is definitely a feel-good rea ...more
Thearmchaircritic
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: can-read-again, lgbt
I have a more extensive review coming, but I could not put this off much longer.

This was such a thoughtful, sweet romance. The pacing was perfect, and that’s pretty difficult in a novella, especially when you’re trying to introduce a whole world of characters, relationships, and portray a believable, engaging romance. Which the author absolutely aced, btw, hence the five stars. I just love these characters so much, I’ve already re-read the book and it was no less engaging this time around.

Go ch
Psygeek
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the sweetest comfort fic. I love that there is such honest and heartfelt neurodivergent and disability rep in the book. I loved the way a supportive community (and polycule) is also represented.
Leah
West generously allowed me to read an early version of this wonderful story. Everything about it is such a joy--from the characters to the lovely descriptions to the representation and more! I cannot wait for the final version to be released so I can purchase it to reread over and over again.
Anna
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great romantic bdsm novella with a lot of representation. I really recommend it for people who like books that look like real life and that are all about the *romance*. This is also an #ownvoices novel and reads like one, which is great.
Ash
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I loved the representation and I love how seen it made me feel and I loved the queerness and I loved how soft and tender it was. My heart feels so good after reading this book.
Kirsten Wilson
Morgan
Joanna
Iamshadow
Apr 04, 2019
Xan West is the nom de plume of Corey Alexander, an autistic queer fat Jewish genderqueer writer and community activist with multiple disabilities who spends a lot of time on Twitter.

Xan's erotica has been published widely, including in the Best S/M Erotica series, the Best Gay Erotica series, and the Best Lesbian Erotica series. Their work has been described by reviewers as “offering the erotica