Start by marking “Your Life Is Mine” as Want to Read:
Your Life Is Mine

Your Life Is Mine

Instant national bestseller Nathan Ripley follows up the success of Find You in the Dark with another suspenseful page-turnerthis time about a woman whose notorious father died when she was a child, but whose legacy comes back to haunt her.

Blanche Potter never expected to face her past again—but she can’t escape it.

Blanche, an up-and-coming filmmaker, has distanced hersel
Published June 4th 2019 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Your Life Is Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Life Is Mine

Chelsea Humphrey
I'm just going to keep this one short, sweet, and to the point. If you haven't read many psychological thrillers, you'll likely enjoy Your Life Is Mine more than I did. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this book; overall, I'd give it a "fine" stamp of approval, but I think the over-saturation of the market in this genre has made it more difficult to engage, surprise, and captivate readers. A slow burn with fairly predictable twists, but still an interesting read.

*Many thanks to the publish
megs_bookrack
One of my most anticipated thrillers of the year!

Blanche Potter (nee Varner) is a documentary filmmaker with one true friend, a surrogate mother and a horrifying past. Her long-dead father, Chuck Varner, is an infamous spree killer who also was the leader of a death cult. Preaching a philosophy he termed, Your Life Is Mine, Chuck raised his daughter like she would someday become the cult's leader.

After his horrifying crimes, Blanche distanced herself as much as she could from that life but as we
Lisa
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My thanks to Atria books and Netgalley.
I'm just going to start here and tell you that if you've not read and got the freaking weirdness that is Mr. Nathan Ripley, then just dont. If you are someone who can't accept the very strange, and have a problem just saying "dude, that's weird"and moving on, then this is not your groove. Mr. Ripley is weird. His books are weird. His shit gives me the creeps. I like the creeps. Alot! More!
My thanks to Atria books and Netgalley. Mostly, thanks to Mr. RIple
Helga
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, crime, netgalley
Your Life Is Mine is a bit different from the usual crime/thriller. A little slow, but engaging and well written.

Blanche Potter’s father was Chuck Varner, the notorious cult leader who after shooting several people at a mall right in front of his 7 year old daughter, ends his own life.
Years have passed since that incident and Blanche has built a new life for herself. A life in which her deranged father and mother don’t exist. A new start. A new city. A new name.
Until she is approached by a jou
Zoe
May 02, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Stars!

Slow burning, dark, and dangerous!

Your Life is Mine is an eerie, enthralling, domestic thriller that delves into the gritty, manipulative world of cults and the disturbing ideology that underlies their radicalism, extremism, and violence.

The prose is sinister and intense. The characters are single-minded, scarred, and conflicted. And the plot told from the first-person point of view, is a menacing tale about power, deception, control, lies, secrets, paranoia, abuse, obsession, jealousy
Kendall
Cults are my ultimate fascination in books! I was so excited to read this!!

I am wondering if I should have read the first by this author... since it appears those that read it enjoyed it a little more with the background of the first.

I found this extremely difficult to get into and almost DNFed this book to be honest. My interest was completely not on the book and was bored. I couldn't get into the characters which was crazy to me since Blanche the daughter of a cult killer is the main punch li
Donna Davis
3.5 rounded up.

Last spring, author Nathan Ripley set the world on fire with his sinister debut novel, Find You in the Dark, and so I could hardly wait to read his new release. Big thanks go to Net Galley and Atria for the review copy. Although this psychological thriller is a solid effort, there is an unevenness of quality that holds it back.

The opening is strong, both urgent and original:

"Before a shooter is a shooter, he’s just a man in a room. It’s what follows that brings the background to
Marianne
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5★s
Your Life is Mine is the second novel by Canadian author, Nathan Ripley. Renowned documentary maker Blanche Potter has spent the last twelve years avoiding all mention of her father. In 1996, Chuck Varner killed nine people in a shooting spree in the Harlow Mall in Stilford, California, before turning the gun on himself. Known to few is that he took along Blanche, then seven years old, to witness this.

Now, over twenty years later, Blanche learns that her estranged mother, Crissy, another d
Lynne Lambdin
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Cults are like cupcakes for me. I simply will not pass up an opportunity to eat a cupcake or read about a cult. The idea that an average man can convince others to believe in their word like the Messiah is so mind boggling and completely fucked that I don’t think my appetite will ever be satiated (also applicable to cupcakes). Nathan Ripley played into the idea of cults, but from the perspective of the leader’s child. An interesting yet not completely original take.

Your life is Mine starts off
Laura//lauralovestoread Gelinas
Just finished reading Your Life is Mine, and I’m still processing all the things. I’ll start by saying that I’ve got a thing for reading about cults. I guess I’m always curious about them, and wondering the makings of a cult leader.

I was interested in the concept of Your Life is Mine, and the cultish beliefs that led to the mass shootings at a mall by none other than the cult leader, Chuck Varner.

This book is grisly and dark, but it fell a bit flat for me. I’ll chalk it up to say that maybe I’
Trisha
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We believed it. We chose his world every day that he was gone, every day that we didn't have to: we followed his code. The code he called Your Life Is Mine."

This was a pretty good book. A true crime documentary duo is rocked when one girl finds out her mom has died. It's her mother and she needs to go back home and see her. But it's not because she's sad or even upset her mother is dead. No, she needs to make sure she is.

Blanche was raised by a terrorist - a terrorist that planned and complete
Bandit
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nathan Ripley’s debut thriller didn’t really wow me. I don’t actually remember the fine details, but a revisit of my original review suggested that it was heavy on unrealized potential and the plotting wasn’t as good as the writing. But it entertained. It entertained enough to download Ripley’s sophomore effort without even reading a plot summary. Although to be honest, had I read the plot summary, it would have had me at cults. So yeah, either way I would have read it. And I’m very happy to rep ...more
Mandy White
Jun 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Your Life Is Mine by Nathan Ripley is a dark and disturbing story of cults and mass murders. It is not an easy book to read and I did struggle to engage in the story. It was slow and confusing in the beginning and did take me a while to finish it. I did not hate it but I can't say that I would read it again.

Blanche Potter can't escape her past, no matter how hard she tries. When she was little her cult leader father Chuck Varner went on a shooting spree before killing himself. Now Blanche has f
Helen Power
Synopsis
Blanche Potter is more than just a documentary film-maker.  She’s the daughter of infamous mass murderer and cult-leader Chuck Varner. Blanche wants nothing more than to leave her past behind her, but when her mother is murdered, she’s forced to return home.  She must go back to the place where it all began, and she fears that her father’s followers are only getting started...

Plot
This book is slow paced at the start. Ripley provides a lot of description of the setting and Blanche is
Jenny Brown
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh my gosh Nathan
Carley
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This had me at cults.

I was raised with too much knowledge of the Manson Family so I've become fascinated by cults. The author did a nice job of fleshing out Chuck and his beliefs (I enjoyed the chaos theory). I was expecting more of a psychological thriller but it really was about Blanche and her psyche. It was an interesting journey into Blanche's mind and it had me engrossed from the beginning.

Thank you NetGalley for an advance reader's copy of this book to review.
Mary S. R.
Mar 31, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: Lisa
Shelves: crime, mystery, psychology
I received an ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to the publisher, Atria Books!

So I've heard this is super weird, and weird, my friends, is my middle name!
Suspense, mystery, crime, and psychological thriller? I'm sold folks!
Laura (crofteereader)
May 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley and Atria books for this copy in exchange for my honest feedback. All opinions are my own.

This book was not for me. I was intrigued by the premise: the child of a murder-cult leader grows up trying to distance herself from her infamous father and discovers, with the death of her mother, that her father's cult is being revived in a very large and violent way. But I think it was Blanche's story that intrigued me, not the cult itself (I never really got a handle on the purpos
Kat Dietrich

Your Life Is Mine by Nathan Ripley is a psychological thriller.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publishers Simon & Schuster and Atria Books, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis: (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)
Blanche Potter has tried to get on with her life. Her career as a filmmaker is taking off. But she can’t out-run the past. Changing her name, movin
Marc Bougharios
This novel is released on June 4th 2019.

I read Ripley's Find You In The Dark and while it was a nice mystery, it wasn't the strongest one I read. I decided to give Ripley another shot and recieved a copy of Your Life is Mine. Another nice mystery that had its shocking moments.

The plot was very interesting and I enojoyed how it was told in the past and the present because we got to see Blanche (her alias) as a kid and what she went through when she was younger, and then we get to see he
Jillian

A creepy story about a daughter of a mass murderer and her troubles when people in his “cult” start problems!

Interesting premise and I was drawn in from the start. Got the book finished in a day, it was a page turner.

Thanks to Netgalley and Atria for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin
Your Life is Mine is yet another creepy, total thrill of a book from author Nathan Ripely (Find You in the Dark)! I flew through this and enjoyed every minute! It’s got the intense thrill that excites at every twist! I would totally recommend this book!

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for an arc copy of Your Life is Mine by author Nathan Ripely in exchange for an honest review. Find the photos and mini review on my Instagram!
Izzy
huge thanks to Netgalley & Atria Books for providing me with an e-Arc! all opinions stated are my own :)

Cults are my absolute favorite thing to consume in media. I love TV shows, movies, books, anything pertaining to the theme. So, when I saw this was about the daughter of a former cult leader - it was like this book was screaming READ ME!

And it was not a bad book. It wasn't the best one I ever read, either. I hate writing 3 stars, middle of the road reviews.

I didn't really like the writing.
Amanda
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Get Smitten For Fiction! 😸

Hello fellow book lovers! I'm back with an impressive book for you to check out this summer. Your Life Is Mine by Canadian author Nathan Ripley comes out June 4th and I tell ya, this was a wild ride. I received an ARC from Netgalley and I can't wait to tell you why I'm SMITTEN with this fierce novel.

About The Book 📚

Title: Your Life Is Mine
Author: Nathan Ripley
Publication Date: June 4, 2019
Genre: Mystery/Thriller
Format/Pages: e-book ARC 304 pages

Goodreads Link

Pre-Ord

Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: May 20th 2019

"Before a shooter is a shooter, he's just a man in a room."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by Netgalley and Atria Books in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Jessica McKenney
Jun 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mystery, 1-star, arc
Thank you, Simon & Schuster Canada for providing me with an advanced reader copy of this book!

I was so excited going into this book, the premise is so different than any other mystery/thriller I have read but unfortunately, this book did not do it for me.

I'm going to start off with some positives:
- As I said, the premise of this book was so interesting! I loved the idea of a cult being the main focus of a thriller book and I haven't read any other books that focus on cults previously.
- I
Sonica
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you Simon & Schuster Canada for my copy of Your Life is Mine, in exchange for my honest review.  This title released June 4.

Blanche Potter has created a new life for herself - changed her name, moved far away from the nightmare of her childhood and has become quite successful as a documentary film maker.  But the past never really stays in the past does it ?  Especially when your own father was a cult leader and mass murderer...

A slow burn that was as dark as it was entertaining, and l
Jamie
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cops-and-crime
Your Life Is Mine by Nathan Ripley had me hooked from page one. It had a great opening and from the start, was very engaging! Mass shooter's daughter turned filmmaker turned investigator with a little bit of cult mixed in? That's a plot line. The story was fast paced and had twists that kept me turning page after page to see what was going to happen next. The writing style was perfect. I really enjoyed the descriptive quality. I could see Blanche as a primary character in a series of books. She ...more
Book Him Danno
You Life Is Mine is your average typical psychological thriller. The story isn't wow but it isn't bad either. The story just exist with like able characters and a average story line that readers who enjoy this type of thriller will be able to see the predictability of the the story. The characters do not stand out as memorable. The story moves slowly giving readers a chance to decided to stop readers or finish the book in hopes of twist they do not see coming. Unfortunately the story doesn't giv ...more
Melanie Jo
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read from this author. It was a pretty good book. It was a little slow for me in the beginning but man, it pulls you in right after. The thing I loved most about this book is that it definitely turned out differently than I thought. In a good way. It kept me guessing and each time I was wrong. I really loved the character of Blanche. She was tough, smart, awesome and more. Things you want in a female character. Really great book.

Thank you Netgalley for the ARC in exc