Start by marking “Who Did You Tell?” as Want to Read:
Who Did You Tell?

Who Did You Tell?

Every town has its secrets. Lesley Kara knows them all . . .

Having reluctantly moved back in with her mother, in a quiet seaside town away from the temptations and painful memories of her life before, Astrid is focusing on her recovery. She's going to
Published December 26th 2019 by Transworld Digital

To ask other readers questions about Who Did You Tell?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Did You Tell?

Start your review of Who Did You Tell?
Sharon
3.5★

Astrid is a recovering alcoholic, she attends AA meetings and hasnt had a drink for 192 days. She is desperate to get her life back on track and as a great deal as she doesnt want to, she decides to move back in with her mother.

Wanting to forget her terrible past behind her and try and forget the person she use to be will not be as easy as she first thought. Your past always has a way of catching up with you no matter how well hidden you thought it was which Astrid will soon realise.
Mandy White
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Who Did You Tell by Lesley Kara was a book high on my radar after reading and loving The Rumour. This book is emotional and not always easy to read. The main character Astrid is not the easiest of people to like, but as the story goes along you feel for her more and more and want her to succeed. I read this book in a day, it was one that I just needed to keep reading to know how it was going to end. Highly recommend this book.

Astrid has had troubles with alcohol since she was a teenager. Now at
Ceecee
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
This isnt an easy read as the main character Astrid is an alcoholic and struggling after rehab to stay on the straight and narrow. She has so many demons many of which are the theme of this novel and some of those turn into genuine fears and there are a number of good suspense moments in the book. Astrid began to go off the rails at 15 when she changes her birth name from Hilary to Astrid as she believes that made me visible. Her struggle with drink is well described as are the AA meetings when ...more
Louise Wilson
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Astrid is a recovering alcoholic. She moves back into her mums house to try and get herself sorted out. She also attends daily AA meetings. She is also tormented by her past. She's just out of rehab and she doesn't trust people.

There is some really good twists to this story about an alcoholics road to recovery. But someone is out to get revenge. This story was full of potential. Although I felt sorry for Astrid and her daily struggles, I just didn't like her. She came across as a bit pathetic.
Linda Strong
4.5 STARS

Astrid is a newly recovering alcoholic. She's staying with her mother and this is her last chance at making a life for herself.... she has nowhere else to go.

Astrid finds strength in routine ... she regularly attends AA meetings, she works, she's making friends.

She has another routine ... finding out who is following her. She thinks it might be an ex-boyfriend ... but he's dead. Her memory is a bit shot ... too many blackouts when she was drinking.

She finds that trying to outrun the
Ash
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of female protagonists with a troubled past
Thank you to NetGalley and Ballantine Books for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

Ive discovered that, while its easy to find a mystery or thriller thats good enough to entertain me for a few days, its rare to find one that truly knocks my socks off. Who Did You Tell? falls into the first category, which doesnt mean its a bad book. It just means that it isnt making it onto my list of favorites.

Unlike some mystery and thriller readers, Im not the least bit sick of the
Sue
WHO DID YOU TELL, a suspense thriller/psychological drama is the second novel to be published in January 2020 by Lesley Kara the author of the Sunday Times Top Ten Bestseller, THE RUMOUR, a crime thriller debut published in December 2018.

Every town has its secrets. Lesley Kara knows them all . . .

Astrid, an alcoholic is trying to turn her life around, focusing on her recovery. She has grudgingly moved back in with her mother, in a quiet seaside town away from the temptations and painful
Amanda
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astrid a recovering alcoholic has moved in with her mother at Flinstead a small seaside town, where everybody knows each others business.

Astrid hasnt had a drink for 190 days and attends AA meetings, where she meets Rosie and Helen. We know she has a secret and it is to do with her ex Simon. She becomes paranoid, she feels like she is being followed, then menacing notes appear.

The story is full of secrets and twists that keep you guessing until the surprising ending. I was so engrossed and sure
Helga
Mar 16, 2020 added it
Shelves: british, mystery
DNF

It was too slow with too many repetitive inner thoughts. Wouldn't rate as i read only half of the book.
Mark
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing

After such a success with her debut novel The Rumour last year a lot of readers were/are excited to read this follow up, I was one of them!
As an aside I loved that the rumour storyline is mentioned randomly in the book, this is because this new tale is set in the same sleepy seaside town as the rumour! ( Eastbourne without the excitement as its known! )
So......Astrid ( formerly known as Hillary! ) is a recovering alcoholic and is back living with her Quaker Mother, attending AA meetings and
Miriam Smith
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kept-book, tbc, net-galley
After the success Lesley Kara had with The Rumour, her new suspense thriller Who Did You Tell, looks to be another bestseller. I love this author and I personally thought this new book to be even better than her previous one and had me engrossed from the very start.
Its been 192 days, seven hours and fifteen minutes since her last drink. Now Astrid is trying to turn her life around. Having reluctantly moved back in with her mother from the temptations and painful memories of her life before,
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
The bestselling author of The Rumour returns with her new addictive psychological thriller, Who Did You Tell? A story of secrets, lies, admissions, mistakes, blame, addiction, trust and guilt, author Lesley Kara keeps her cards close to her chest in this suspenseful mystery novel.

Astrid has a secret and it is one that she believes no one knows about. She has grappled with this secret for many days and months. It has consumed her, leading Astrid down a path
Gemma
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
If like me, you loved and were completely gripped by Lesley Karas debut novel The Rumour, then boy are you going to love Who Did You Tell! Its even more addictive, making it even harder to put down, and for me it has surpassed her debut.

32 year old Astrid is a recovering alcoholic. After an episode 5 months previously which left her hospitalised, she is now living back at home in the small, sleepy seaside town of Flinstead with her mother since leaving rehab 2 weeks previously. She is attending
Adele Shea
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book but I felt the outcome was predictable.
3.5 as it is an easy to read book and definitely worth giving it a go.
Shalini
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting story which had a recovering alcoholic trying to find her way back to life living with her mother, but things turned haywire when she felt someone watching her.

My second book by author Lesley Kara. I liked parts of the book, especially the trials of a recovering alcoholic and the AA meetings. I liked the author's honest portrayal of an addict and how every day was a struggle. The author showed great sensitivity in that.

The suspense was subtle in it and the ending was quite
Elvina Zafril
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: times-reads
Who Did You Tell? by Lesley Kara is one of the psychological thriller that full of suspense and twists that you didn't expect from the beginning until the ending.

Astrid is an alcoholic. She is focusing on her recovery. She moved back to live with her mother in a quiet seaside town in hoping to live in peace and away from painful memories she had in the past. She attended AA meetings and trying to get back the life as normal people and far from alcohol. Everyone deserves a second chance.

Someone
Hanlie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very gripping mystery thriller!

Astrid has moved back in with her mother......not that she had any place to go. She is trying to put her life together. She is attending AA and is trying to get to grips with losing the love of her life. She feels responsible for him committing suicide and every day is a struggle. Then she starts feeling like someone is watching her...she smells Simon's cologne and then she receives a photo. Someone knows about her past.

I really like the writing style and
Michelle
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Astrid is a 32-year-old recovering alcoholic. After losing everything in London and after the death of her ex-boyfriend Simon she returns to the small seaside town of Flintstead. Where her mother has paid for rehab and she now attend AA meetings. She struggles with the guilt of his death and with the memories of her drinking and the days with Simon. She wants to make amends on what she has done in the past, but, her mother thinks that she will soon go back to her old ways. She tries hard to ...more
Rachel Gilbey
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After seeing Lesley Kara at Capital Crime, taking part in the Who's Crime is it Anyway sessions, I couldn't help but be impressed by her, and thus couldn't resist the opportunity to read her new book when it appeared.

And I'm completely correct to be impressed... What a fabulous book.

From the first few pages I could feel a slightly sinister undertone, something was rather unsettling but at the same I needed to know exactly what was going on. I had a few thoughts but generally was very happy to
Nicki
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it

Astrid is trying really hard to turn her life around,having recently come out of rehab,she has reluctantly moved back home to live with her mother in the quiet seaside town of Flinstead. Asked is focusing on her recovery,going to alcoholics anonymous meetings, confessing her misdeeds and trying to make amends for the mistakes she had made in the past.

But someone knows Astrid's secret,the tragic event that she is running from. Someone who will not stop until Astrid learns that some mistakes
Rachel Hall
Underwhelming psycho thriller with an anticlimactic denouement that feels like a rerun of The Rumour.

Overall I felt Lesley Karas follow-up to her first novel, The Rumour, had rather a lot in common with her debut and in many ways felt like a rerun of the story, with a thirty something daughter returning to live with her mother in the sleepy seaside town of Flinstead and a small cast of characters, each of whom on occasions could be construed as suspicious.

Thirty-two-year-old recovering
Joanne Robertson
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
OMG!! If you liked The Rumour then you are going to LOVE Who Did You Tell? Its twisty and shocking with a narrative that sucks you in from the very first page and keeps you there. It's as addictive as hell which is quite fitting when you realise that one of the main characters, Astrid, has an addiction problem. She is an alcoholic, coping with a secret from her past concerning her ex boyfriend Simon. Following a major relapse, she's now living back with her mother in Flinstead and attending ...more
Deborah
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Astrids mother named her Hilary because (when she was born) she had such a sunny disposition. Hilary became Astrid as soon as she was able believing it to be the antithesis of her birth name and almost two decades later, its set the scene for the rebellious and unsettled life shes led since.

Read my full review: https://www.debbish.com/books-literat...
Karen
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review to follow - a late night to finish this one. Enjoyed it.
Katie
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was kindly sent this book free of charge from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I read and loved Lesley Karas debut novel The Rumour so I was very excited to read this one. All in all I really enjoyed it. The story follows Astrid a recovering alcoholic who is living with her own demons and secrets. She moves to a small town where her mum lives however as she soon finds out she may have been followed by someone who knows her secrets.

This book was full of twists and turns just like
Barbro-Katrin
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for a honest review. I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own

I didnt have high hopes about this book, but the summary sounded a bit interesting.

Its very slow moving in the beginning, and its boring. The relationship between the Astrid and Josh is moving to fast for my liking, and theres no chemistry. The MC and some of the support characters are annoying. Nothing is really happening in the
Alexa
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounded up to 4. Very solid for what this is, which is women's fiction with a dash of suspense, admittedly not what I expected. Kara's first book, The Rumor, had a tighter thread of suspense whereas this has comparably slow pacing and is VERY character-based. I had moments reading where I suspected it might be an earlier work and then was gratified to see in the author's note that, indeed, this was written before her debut and reworked for publication after.

The general gist is that
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
What an absolutely wonderful read this was. I knew from the first chapter this was going to be a good one and I certainly wasnt disappointed. This is a book that had me surprised at times. The novel moves quickly and I became addicted to the characters you truly become part of their world, feeling their feelings and seeing things through their eyes, especially the main character, Astrid.

I really liked the way each chapter told the story and I loved that it was easy to follow with concise
Anne
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an intense read! Astrid is newly sober and living with her mother who is worried that her daughter will relapse. Astrid has vivid dreams of her dead boyfriend, Simon and worries that someone is following her which fuels her paranoia further. Attending AA meetings is initially painful for her as she isn't anxious to "share" her story and also because there are holes in her memory from when she was a blackout drunk. Meeting a new man and re-visiting her passion for art gives her hope and ...more
Lance Kirby
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was the first book Ive read from Lesley Kara and I found it good enough to read more in the future ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Dilemma
  • The Memory Wood
  • Criss Cross (Alex Cross, #27)
  • The Assistant
  • The Guest List
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • The Fallout
  • The House on the Lake
  • Stop at Nothing
  • Happy Ever After
  • Little White Lies
  • The Nursery (Alexis Tyler #2)
  • The Other Wife
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
Lesley Kara is the author of the Sunday Times Top Ten Bestseller, THE RUMOUR, published in December 2018. Her second novel, WHO DID YOU TELL, is out now.