Start by marking “The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)

The Midwinter Witch

(The Witch Boy #3)

The acclaimed graphic novel world of The Witch Boy and The Hidden Witch comes to a thrilling conclusion in this story of friendship, family, and finding your true power.
Magic has a dark side . . .

Aster always looks forward to the Midwinter Festival, a reunion of the entire Vanissen family that includes competitions in witchery and shapeshifting. This year, he's especially
Published November 5th 2019 by Graphix

Start your review of The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
Calista
I feel like Molly wrote this story with me in mind as the reader. It's perfect.

I have been waiting for this and I find out this is the 3rd volume in the series and so I have to go back and pick up the 2nd volume. I simply adore this series.

It says this is the conclusion, but it doesn't feel like an ending. This is a great story and I want more. I want to know more of this world and what's going on and I want to see more Aster. There needs to be more of these.

This is a wonderful story. It's a
David Schaafsma
Dec 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-glbt, gn-fantasy
I know there are a lot of comics series and graphic novels out right now about the Power of Magic to Do Good in the World (that Harry Potter milieu), all that facing down the Dark Arts and/or Black Magic, but I happen to be reading two of them, including the manga series Witch Hat Atelier and this one, which I just learn is concluded! Witch Hat has dramatic swirling crazy detailed imaginative art work, and this (Western) one is Noelle Stevenson-style, brightly colored, Scholastic-designed and ...more
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
*4.75

I really hope this isn’t the end of the series. I mean, it can’t be. There’s so much more to explore in this world!

Another fun, inclusive read. I can’t wait for more of these books. 4.75/5 stars.
India
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series is just so wonderful! I love every single detail, character, storyline. Can I just get this book into the hands of all of my kids, please and thank you?
Rod Brown
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
A solid middle volume in what I hope will be a long-running series. Aster continues to struggle against his mother's expectations by taking his nonconformity with gender roles public at a large family reunion. And a new villain is introduced who I hope to see more fully fleshed out in a future volume. Even if the adventure this outing did not have me on the edge of my seat, I'm still quite enthralled with characters and the world being built here.

p.s. Oh, wait, having posted my review I see now
Maia
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I was lucky enough to get a black and white advanced reader copy of this at BookExpo. The series continues to be extremely charming, with the characters facing challenges in the magical world which are often very easy metaphors for queer experiences. As the main character friend group has grown larger, each character's story arc is a bit shorter because the author must balance out more character's time on the page. But I am still very captivated by this series and glad that this book ended in a ...more
Erica
This third installment in "The Witch Boy" series is as adorable as the others.

In this go 'round, it's time for Winter Solstice celebrations which means I timed this perfectly, reading it two days before the 2019 Winter Solstice.

Since Ariel is now going to school at the Vanissen house, she is invited to the family reunion in a mountain chalet where leylines converge. There will be snowball fights, food and singing (I assume), and competitions for the witches and the shapers. Since Ariel's not
Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)
A somewhat solid conclusion to a good middle grade graphic novel series. It could have benefited with it being a little longer because the ending felt rushed and the villain introduced did not have much character growth.
Emma Meyer
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Honestly, I didn't love this graphic novel. Overall, it kept me occupied but it's not a favorite.
Rick
I was able to get a hold of an uncorrected proof of this book (THANK YOU Ali!). Yeah, it's not in color, but I can wait for that. But the story was a wonderful continuation with more characterization and more interesting twists for Aster and his friends. The blurb on the book makes it feel like a conclusion, and while it could be an ending, I'm really hoping it is not. I really like these characters and I would LOVE to see more stories as they grow, get older and more advanced with their skills.
Ivy
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: coming-soon-19
The Midwinter Witch was the perfect conclusion one of the best graphic novel series. Molly Knox Ostertag’s books are perfect for middle grade readers as well as any other interested parties (Every queer person will love The Witch Boy.) The art is warm and inviting, the story strong and intelligent, and the characters are sweet, well-rounded, and genuine. Fans of the other two books are sure to enjoy this third, packed with magic, snow, and snow magic.
Damon Kimball
I absolutely loved this book i hope to read more of these books when they come out but I loved it because I love the magic in this and the detail they put in to it
Irma Jara
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked Molly Ostertag's series of Witch Boy. I think the third book was all about fitting in. Ariel really learned her lesson about that. Considering, she thought that nobody liked her and she didn't belong. Ariel thought that she always hurt someone even when she didn't try too, but her friends helped her realize that she can be good. Even when the bad side controls her.
Peter
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love this series. I love that societal expectations are changed by those brave enough to be who they are and proud of who they are. And I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the Torres family.
Eti
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Did I cry while reading this book during lunch before our The Hidden Witch book club this afternoon? Yes, yes I did. A truly satisfying conclusion to a powerful series about identity, self-acceptance, being . yourself, being an ally, changing your community, and more, all through the metaphors of magic and transformation.
Cy
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fantasy
honestlyyyy a perfect ending. i feel at peace.....
Emma
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aster looks forward to the Midwinter Festival every year. The festival is a yearly gathering of the entire Vanissen family and filled with competitions in the annual Jolrun tournament for both shapeshifting and witchery.

After earning his hard-won right to study witchery with the Vanissen girls, Aster is eager to compete and prove his skill as a witch.

But challenging generations of tradition isn't easy. Especially when Aster's new friend and fellow witch Ariel is still trying to prove to herself
Nick
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Ostertag has written another amazing story and with the mixing of gender roles she ties in the difference between blood family and chosen family and the issues that come with both. I would recommend this series to anyone.

The artwork is colorful and imaginative and really brings the story to life as well.
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgtbq, graphic-novel
akasiadh I lOVEd it.
this book (tbh this series in general) is so woke. I need to give this to every middle grader out there omg.
I loved this book with my whole heart :)))))
Margaret
I really like the story here--Aster, a transgender girl, wants to compete in the Midwinter Witch competition her family holds every year. But as the first transgender witch in a very patriarchal traditional family, some don't like that idea. Meanwhile, her friend Ariel struggles with feeling safe in this new, kinda adoptive family, and with her magic, especially when she starts dreaming about the aunt she never knew about.

This would've been perfect longer. The story just felt rushed to me.
Sami Jo
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this story so much. When I got this copy at BookCon I didn’t know much about the series. It’s really just a lovely coming of age story about what family/friendship/maybe life in general can really mean to one person and something different to another. Acceptance is the overall theme. ...more
Kelsey Elizabeth
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Every book of this series just gets better and better! I'm in love with the characters, and all of the lgbt representation nearly brings me to tears every time I read the latest release. Aster and his friends are so strong, brave, and talented - no one could resist their charm!

The world building is really well done, too! And I love that we keep getting more information on the magical families! Honestly, is you are into lgbt, witches, magic in general, or beautiful comic art, then you will love
Jenna
Dec 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Alison
Jan 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Review here: https://youtu.be/3dDGJVTf464
timestamps for titles in description!
Molly
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a really wonderful book to kick off this year. Molly Ostertag can really do no wrong.
Carla B.  Estruch
The cutest.
Virginia
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
feeling delicate about it
Dec 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really cute and touching with a very meaningful and good message. Beautiful colors and distinct art style.
orangerful
Dec 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Third book in the series and going strong. This is an important step for Aster and, again, a great talking point for kids and tweens that are reading the series - should Aster show his powers at the Midwinter festival in front of all the other witches and shapeshifters? Can't wait to see what happens in book 4!
Charlotte
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely conclusion to the trilogy. Time to go back and enjoy it from the beginning :D
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Okay Witch
  • Stargazing
  • The Changeling King (Estranged, #2)
  • Field Trip (Sanity & Tallulah, Book 2)
  • The Tea Dragon Festival (Tea Dragon, #2)
  • Witchy
  • Mooncakes
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Stage Dreams
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • The Black Mage
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Mighty Jack and Zita the Spacegirl (Mighty Jack, #3; Zita the Spacegirl, #4)
  • Go with the Flow
  • The Deep & Dark Blue
  • Black Canary: Ignite
  • Pumpkinheads
I grew up in the forests of upstate New York, where I spent the first half of my childhood reading about fantastical adventures and the second half acting them out with foam swords at a live action roleplaying camp . I graduated in 2014 from the School of Visual Arts, where I studied cartooning and illustration, and I currently live in Los Angeles. My artistic interests include women in fiction, ...more

The Witch Boy (3 books)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)