Start by marking “The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)

The Midwinter Witch

(The Witch Boy #3)

The acclaimed graphic novel world of The Witch Boy and The Hidden Witch comes to a thrilling conclusion in this story of friendship, family, and finding your true power.
Magic has a dark side . . .

Aster always looks forward to the Midwinter Festival, a reunion of the entire Vanissen family that includes competitions in witchery and shapeshifting. This year, he's especially
Published November 5th 2019 by Graphix

To ask other readers questions about The Midwinter Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midwinter Witch

Start your review of The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
Maia
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I was lucky enough to get a black and white advanced reader copy of this at BookExpo. The series continues to be extremely charming, with the characters facing challenges in the magical world which are often very easy metaphors for queer experiences. As the main character friend group has grown larger, each character's story arc is a bit shorter because the author must balance out more character's time on the page. But I am still very captivated by this series and glad that this book ended in a ...more
Rick
I was able to get a hold of an uncorrected proof of this book (THANK YOU Ali!). Yeah, it's not in color, but I can wait for that. But the story was a wonderful continuation with more characterization and more interesting twists for Aster and his friends. The blurb on the book makes it feel like a conclusion, and while it could be an ending, I'm really hoping it is not. I really like these characters and I would LOVE to see more stories as they grow, get older and more advanced with their skills.
Sami Jo
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this story so much. When I got this copy at BookCon I didn’t know much about the series. It’s really just a lovely coming of age story about what family/friendship/maybe life in general can really mean to one person and something different to another. Acceptance is the overall theme. ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Ivy
Jan 31, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: coming-soon-19
This sounds so perfect and soft and gentle but also COOL and MAGIC and POWER and I can only use bad grammar words to describe this series because it is GREATNESS and SWEET and KIND. I love every aspect of Molly Ostertag's art, writing, humor, aesthetic, and love life (Molelle/Noelly is my real life OTP). This series has meant so much to me, and I wish more than anything I'd had it when I was younger. It's gentle queerness and endless kindness is something I've never seen in all-ages books, and e ...more
Emma (Miss Print)
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aster looks forward to the Midwinter Festival every year. The festival is a yearly gathering of the entire Vanissen family and filled with competitions in the annual Jolrun tournament for both shapeshifting and witchery.

After earning his hard-won right to study witchery with the Vanissen girls, Aster is eager to compete and prove his skill as a witch.

But challenging generations of tradition isn't easy. Especially when Aster's new friend and fellow witch Ariel is still try
Molly
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange #partner .
I quickly read, yet thoroughly enjoyed this graphic novel by @molly_ostertag
Published by @graphixbooks
as part of @scholasticinc and set to release Nov. 5!
The Midwinter Witch is book 3 in a series, but even though I hadn't yet read Book 1 or 2 when I received this one, I was able to dive right in and connect with characters. The storyline is fast paced, yet easy to follow and the illustrations are beautiful! .
Aster is
Bryan
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Picked this up yesterday afternoon and have read it four times already! As a 4th grade teacher, I’m very excited to gush about it to my students tomorrow and proudly put it in the classroom library alongside the previous two installments.

This series is wonderful and I loved every moment in this installment. Also, being the third story, I was thinking that this would be a closure story making this title a trilogy. However, the way the events are played out it appears that there is roo
ricardo
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“You... you make me feel so soft”

It’s the Midwinter Festival and Aster wants to enter the Jolrun tournament, a competition for witches/shapeshifters. He wants to be the first ever boy witch to enter/win the tournament. Meanwhile, Ariel’s still trying to find her place.

This is the sweetest book in the three out so far! With Ariel finding out what it truly means to be/have a family and Aster still trying to establish his place as a witch, it gives it a great winter loving vibe.

(The o
Maddie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aster is excited to for this years Midwinter Festival a reunion of his entire family that includes competitions in witchery and shapeshifiting. This year Aster is hoping to compete in the witch competitions, he wants to set an example for other boys who might be witches or for girls who might be shapeshifters. Ariel on the other hand has darker things on her mind, someone who claims to be her aunt keeps appearing in her dreams claiming to be able to teach her how to become a more powerful witch. ...more
Fiction State Of Mind
Aug 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This series focuses around a gifted young man who has always been expected to be a shapeshifter but feels drawn to being a witch a profession that is only held by women in his community. Aster has been moving forward in his goal and he hopes the big midwinter family gathering will be fun and enhance his magic. I really loved the story elements that dealt with Aster's friends supporting him despite his trials. The art is really beautiful and I like the diverse cast.
Margaret
I really like the story here--Aster, a transgender girl, wants to compete in the Midwinter Witch competition her family holds every year. But as the first transgender witch in a very patriarchal traditional family, some don't like that idea. Meanwhile, her friend Ariel struggles with feeling safe in this new, kinda adoptive family, and with her magic, especially when she starts dreaming about the aunt she never knew about.

This would've been perfect longer. The story just felt rushed
Jennifer Mangler
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Flint: "Aren't you embarrassed? It's not normal."
Aster: "You keep saying that like it's a bad thing."

That exchange is why I love The Witch Boy series so much. The friend group celebrates each other's differences. The characters find joy in what makes them unique, even when others might not. Tradition is important, but so is following your own path.

Rachel Knuttel
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

I devoured this delightful middle grade graphic novel series! Book 1 is THE WITCH BOY, book 2 is THE HIDDEN WITCH, and book 3, THE MIDWINTER WITCH RELEASES in November! They are super quick reads, but very enjoyable for this picky graphic novel reader! There are SO many things I love about this story! Aster is so lovable, and he is an easy character to root for. The plots are fast paced a
Nick
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Ostertag has written another amazing story and with the mixing of gender roles she ties in the difference between blood family and chosen family and the issues that come with both. I would recommend this series to anyone.

The artwork is colorful and imaginative and really brings the story to life as well.
Calley Odum
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just hope it is clear to everybody and everything that Molly Ostertag is a goddess, this series is a joy and a privilege to read, even as a 20-something, and that all good things only get gayer with time.
Sue Jackson
This 3rd book in the fantasy series once again tackles serious real-life kid issues in magical, fun story. Can't wait to see what's next for Aster, Charlie & Ariel! Read my full review at:

Alicia
A readathon book for 2019.

I might have missed the second one because I know I read the first one. The storyline is cohesive and the sentiments are still strong that he can't/shouldn't be a male witch in the family line but everyone shares what's important to them and the conflict is resolved.
Katie
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewers
I thought the book was, simply put, AMAZING. It shows that when it comes to you, nobody can tell you what to be. You can push the limit, break boundaries, and follow what your heart tells you to do. I would definitely recommend this book if you loved the other books in this series.
Gabriella
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful

It always nice to see someone being able to make choices, mistakes and still be themselves. I love this series and the characters are just growing in complexity but learning. A really fun series.
Kate
This one was just a little too heavy handed for me. More predictable than previous books in the series. Like other books in this series, I think this will appeal to a wide range of reading levels and maturity.
Katy
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If this series could just never end that would be great.
Lise
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Gave me many, many feelings ❤ ...more
India
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series is just so wonderful! I love every single detail, character, storyline. Can I just get this book into the hands of all of my kids, please and thank you?
Damon
Best one yet! Charlie's dads are the cutest.
M
Nov 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Might be my new favourite of the series!
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, lgtbq
akasiadh I lOVEd it.
this book (tbh this series in general) is so woke. I need to give this to every middle grader out there omg.
I loved this book with my whole heart :)))))
Mmesoma Nwabuwa
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was pretty nice but i feel like the story was kind of rushed.
I loved aster but Ariel threw me off. She was okay but her whole chracter development felt kind of thrown off. In the second book, her character was developed more.
It also felt like barely anything happened.
Grant
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent story about breaking gender norms, and how family isn't always by blood, but who you choose.
Regine
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series so much

• Stargazing
  • Stage Dreams
  • Cheshire Crossing
  • The Okay Witch
  • Kiss Number 8
  • The Tea Dragon Festival
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Mighty Jack and Zita the Spacegirl (Mighty Jack, #3; Zita the Spacegirl, #4)
  • Mooncakes
  • Strange Birds: A Field Guide to Ruffling Feathers
  • Guts
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Space Boy Volume 5 (Space Boy, #5)
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Grimoire Noir
  • White Bird
  • The Breakaways
I grew up in the forests of upstate New York, where I spent the first half of my childhood reading about fantastical adventures and the second half acting them out with foam swords at a live action roleplaying camp . I graduated in 2014 from the School of Visual Arts, where I studied cartooning and illustration, and I currently live in Los Angeles. My artistic interests include women in fiction, f ...more

The Witch Boy (3 books)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)