Start by marking “The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)

The Midwinter Witch

(The Witch Boy #3)

The acclaimed graphic novel world of The Witch Boy and The Hidden Witch comes to a thrilling conclusion in this story of friendship, family, and finding your true power.
Magic has a dark side . . .

Aster always looks forward to the Midwinter Festival, a reunion of the entire Vanissen family that includes competitions in witchery and shapeshifting. This year, he's especially
Published November 5th 2019 by Graphix

To ask other readers questions about The Midwinter Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Midwinter Witch

Start your review of The Midwinter Witch (The Witch Boy, #3)
Rod Brown
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
A solid middle volume in what I hope will be a long-running series. Aster continues to struggle against his mother's expectations by taking his nonconformity with gender roles public at a large family reunion. And a new villain is introduced who I hope to see more fully fleshed out in a future volume. Even if the adventure this outing did not have me on the edge of my seat, I'm still quite enthralled with characters and the world being built here.

p.s. Oh, wait, having posted my review I see now
India
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This series is just so wonderful! I love every single detail, character, storyline. Can I just get this book into the hands of all of my kids, please and thank you?
Maia
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I was lucky enough to get a black and white advanced reader copy of this at BookExpo. The series continues to be extremely charming, with the characters facing challenges in the magical world which are often very easy metaphors for queer experiences. As the main character friend group has grown larger, each character's story arc is a bit shorter because the author must balance out more character's time on the page. But I am still very captivated by this series and glad that this book ended in a ...more
Rick
I was able to get a hold of an uncorrected proof of this book (THANK YOU Ali!). Yeah, it's not in color, but I can wait for that. But the story was a wonderful continuation with more characterization and more interesting twists for Aster and his friends. The blurb on the book makes it feel like a conclusion, and while it could be an ending, I'm really hoping it is not. I really like these characters and I would LOVE to see more stories as they grow, get older and more advanced with their skills.
Ivy
Jan 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Midwinter Witch was the perfect conclusion one of the best graphic novel series. Molly Knox Ostertag’s books are perfect for middle grade readers as well as any other interested parties (Every queer person will love The Witch Boy.) The art is warm and inviting, the story strong and intelligent, and the characters are sweet, well-rounded, and genuine. Fans of the other two books are sure to enjoy this third, packed with magic, snow, and snow magic.
Peter
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I love this series. I love that societal expectations are changed by those brave enough to be who they are and proud of who they are. And I have a feeling we haven't seen the last of the Torres family.
Cy
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fantasy
honestlyyyy a perfect ending. i feel at peace.....
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgtbq, graphic-novel
akasiadh I lOVEd it.
this book (tbh this series in general) is so woke. I need to give this to every middle grader out there omg.
I loved this book with my whole heart :)))))
Eti
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Did I cry while reading this book during lunch before our The Hidden Witch book club this afternoon? Yes, yes I did. A truly satisfying conclusion to a powerful series about identity, self-acceptance, being . yourself, being an ally, changing your community, and more, all through the metaphors of magic and transformation.
Nick
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. Ostertag has written another amazing story and with the mixing of gender roles she ties in the difference between blood family and chosen family and the issues that come with both. I would recommend this series to anyone.

The artwork is colorful and imaginative and really brings the story to life as well.
Sami Jo
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this story so much. When I got this copy at BookCon I didn’t know much about the series. It’s really just a lovely coming of age story about what family/friendship/maybe life in general can really mean to one person and something different to another. Acceptance is the overall theme. ...more
Emma (Miss Print)
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aster looks forward to the Midwinter Festival every year. The festival is a yearly gathering of the entire Vanissen family and filled with competitions in the annual Jolrun tournament for both shapeshifting and witchery.

After earning his hard-won right to study witchery with the Vanissen girls, Aster is eager to compete and prove his skill as a witch.

But challenging generations of tradition isn't easy. Especially when Aster's new friend and fellow witch Ariel is still trying to prove to herself
Irma Jara
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really liked Molly Ostertag's series of Witch Boy. I think the third book was all about fitting in. Ariel really learned her lesson about that. Considering, she thought that nobody liked her and she didn't belong. Ariel thought that she always hurt someone even when she didn't try too, but her friends helped her realize that she can be good. Even when the bad side controls her.
Jennifer Mangler
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Flint: "Aren't you embarrassed? It's not normal."
Aster: "You keep saying that like it's a bad thing."

That exchange is why I love The Witch Boy series so much. The friend group celebrates each other's differences. The characters find joy in what makes them unique, even when others might not. Tradition is important, but so is following your own path.

Rummanah (Books in the Spotlight)
A somewhat solid conclusion to a good middle grade graphic novel series. It could have benefited with it being a little longer because the ending felt rushed and the villain introduced did not have much character growth.
Rebecca Honeycutt
I would have been happy to have a book three times longer if it meant getting more development for these endearing characters, but still--four stars for a series conclusion that warmed my queer heart, and will surely do the same for lots of kids who need it.
Lise
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Gave me many, many feelings ...more
Charlotte
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lovely conclusion to the trilogy. Time to go back and enjoy it from the beginning :D
Ardent
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, queer, favorites, magic
Another great installment in the Witch Boy saga, which continues to be my favorite kids-aged graphic series.
Juli Anna
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely. Not as memorable as the first two, I think, but I enjoyed the character development here. I also felt like Aster's gentleness and bravery really shown in this one.
Emma Meyer
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Honestly, I didn't love this graphic novel. Overall, it kept me occupied but it's not a favorite.
Calley Odum
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just hope it is clear to everybody and everything that Molly Ostertag is a goddess, this series is a joy and a privilege to read, even as a 20-something, and that all good things only get gayer with time.
Margaret
I really like the story here--Aster, a transgender girl, wants to compete in the Midwinter Witch competition her family holds every year. But as the first transgender witch in a very patriarchal traditional family, some don't like that idea. Meanwhile, her friend Ariel struggles with feeling safe in this new, kinda adoptive family, and with her magic, especially when she starts dreaming about the aunt she never knew about.

This would've been perfect longer. The story just felt rushed to me.
Karissa
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Series Info: 3rd book in the Witch Boy series. Borrowed from library.

Characters (5/5): The characters in this series are easy to engage with and I love them. I love that Aster is staying true to his course as a witch and is brave enough to stand up for himself. I also enjoyed how Ariel had to make some big choices about who she wants to be as time goes on.

Story (4/5): This was a fun story. I loved the Jolrun tournament and watching as Aster continues to pave his own path as a witch (and inspire
Molly
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
@kidlitexchange #partner .
I quickly read, yet thoroughly enjoyed this graphic novel by @molly_ostertag
Published by @graphixbooks
as part of @scholasticinc and set to release Nov. 5!
The Midwinter Witch is book 3 in a series, but even though I hadn't yet read Book 1 or 2 when I received this one, I was able to dive right in and connect with characters. The storyline is fast paced, yet easy to follow and the illustrations are beautiful! .
Aster is a boy that wants to break stereotypes to be able
Ash Baker
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Molly does it again! I enjoyed this one just as much if not more than the previous installment! I love the growing relationships between the characters, as well as the continued allegories to LGBT experiences.

The "midwinter witch" is a title bestowed to a young witch who wins a competition at a magical family reunion in the middle of winter (who would've guessed?) and our lovely witch boy, Aster, is going to compete for the first time. This doesn't go over well with everybody in the family,
Bryan
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Picked this up yesterday afternoon and have read it four times already! As a 4th grade teacher, I’m very excited to gush about it to my students tomorrow and proudly put it in the classroom library alongside the previous two installments.

This series is wonderful and I loved every moment in this installment. Also, being the third story, I was thinking that this would be a closure story making this title a trilogy. However, the way the events are played out it appears that there is room for more
ricardo
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“You... you make me feel so soft”

It’s the Midwinter Festival and Aster wants to enter the Jolrun tournament, a competition for witches/shapeshifters. He wants to be the first ever boy witch to enter/win the tournament. Meanwhile, Ariel’s still trying to find her place.

This is the sweetest book in the three out so far! With Ariel finding out what it truly means to be/have a family and Aster still trying to establish his place as a witch, it gives it a great winter loving vibe.

(The only negative
Maddie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Aster is excited to for this years Midwinter Festival a reunion of his entire family that includes competitions in witchery and shapeshifiting. This year Aster is hoping to compete in the witch competitions, he wants to set an example for other boys who might be witches or for girls who might be shapeshifters. Ariel on the other hand has darker things on her mind, someone who claims to be her aunt keeps appearing in her dreams claiming to be able to teach her how to become a more powerful witch. ...more
Kristin
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THE MIDWINTER WITCH is the third and final book of the adventures that includes The Witch Boy and The Hidden Witch. A wonderful twist on traditional middle grade themes of identity, conflicts with family and friends, and solidifying values and a path forward, Ostertag wraps up the story of Aster and his family and friends by staying true to her focus of gender non-conformity and belonging.

While Aster and his nervousness about competing publicly as a witch is one major thread in the story, Ariel’
« previous 1 3 next »

• Stargazing
  • The Okay Witch
  • The Tea Dragon Festival
  • Sunny Rolls the Dice
  • Stage Dreams
  • The Changeling King (Estranged, #2)
  • Mooncakes
  • Best Friends (Real Friends, #2)
  • Field Trip (Sanity & Tallulah, Book 2)
  • Guts
  • Witchy
  • Mighty Jack and Zita the Spacegirl (Mighty Jack, #3; Zita the Spacegirl, #4)
  • Cosmoknights (Cosmoknights, #1)
  • This Was Our Pact
  • Kiss Number 8
  • Pumpkinheads
  • Pilu of the Woods
  • Are You Listening?
I grew up in the forests of upstate New York, where I spent the first half of my childhood reading about fantastical adventures and the second half acting them out with foam swords at a live action roleplaying camp . I graduated in 2014 from the School of Visual Arts, where I studied cartooning and illustration, and I currently live in Los Angeles. My artistic interests include women in fiction, ...more

The Witch Boy (3 books)
  • The Witch Boy (The Witch Boy, #1)
  • The Hidden Witch (The Witch Boy, #2)