Start by marking “Pug Blasts Off (Diary of a Pug #1)” as Want to Read:
Pug Blasts Off (Diary of a Pug #1)

Pug Blasts Off

(Diary of a Pug #1)

The first book in a sweet and funny new Branches series about a pug and his human, told from the pug's POV!
Pick a book. Grow a Reader!

Published October 1st 2019 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Pug Blasts Off, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pug Blasts Off

Start your review of Pug Blasts Off (Diary of a Pug #1)
Susie
Jan 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
Super cute early reader that I can't wait to share with one of my favorite early readers!
Descendents
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love this book because bub was so brave of Bella's rocket wing and he gave his peanut butter to his natural enemy Nutz and Nutz gave the rocket wing back.
Amy Layton
Nov 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Diary of a Pug depicts the everyday life of Bub and his companions and the shenanigans they get into.  This week?  Bella must do a science project.  Filled with illustrations and a classic children's literature set-up of cause-and-effect, this makes for a great book to help young readers remain not only entertained, but entertained while they take in the motions of literary structure.

This is great for the pug-lover and for those who enjoy cute, quick reads.

Review cross-listed here!
Bonnie Grover
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great chapter book for beginners. I love how it’s told from Bub the Pug’s point of view. Bub has to help his human, Bella with her school project and boy does he have lots of ideas. I’m excited to share this with my young friends.
Michal
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
Really cute beginner chapter book!
Erin
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book it just gives me a feeling that I can go any where with the book and not be judged on the book that I read and carry around with me.
Brenda Kahn
Early chapter book featuring an adorable pug and a girl steeped in STEM! What's not to love?
zapkode
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
{My thoughts} – Bub is a fun little Pug that likes to be helpful to his owner Bella. He likes to help her with her projects, to snuggle her and to wake her up when she is trying to sleep. He enjoys dress up and cannot stand being out in the rain.

In this book they make a rocket together, but it ends up getting ruined. So he does everything he can to try and get all the pieces back so they can put it back together. However, Bella decides she wants to make something other then the rocket so they ge
Denise
Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I work for Scholastic, but the ideas in this post are all of my own opinions.

This is an adorable book about a cute pug named Bub who hates the rain, and loves helping his human with arts and craft projects. Bub and Bella set out to create an invention for a school project. Trouble strikes, however, and they have to start again.

This is a great book for someone who is still transitioning from picture books to chapter books. It would also be a great choice for someone who likes to read diaries. It
Charlotte
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rc19, 2019
very cute, and the pug's owner is a girl who wins an invention prize, so nice girl power theme!
Becky
First sentence: Dear Diary, Baron Von Bubbles here. But everyone calls me Bub. Here are some things to know about me: I always dress to impress. I make many different faces: belly rub face, have to go out face, really have to go out face, face for Duchess. (She acts like she owns the place.) Face for Nutz. (He steals my stuff all the time.) Here are some of my favorite things: My skateboard. Bear. Peanut butter.

Premise/plot: Readers meet Bub and Bella in this first book in a new series publishe
Sara Magnafichi
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I received an uncorrected proof from Scholastic to read and review. I read it to my students (1st grade) and they absolutely loved this story. The mix of illustrations, dialogue, and text make for a quick and fun read aloud that brings Bub the Pug to life. Bub's voice truly comes through, as the narrator of the story. This is book 1 of a new series within the Scholastic Branches line. In this story, we learn that Bub absolutely hates getting rain. One day, his owner Bella and Bub run into a seri ...more
3queensread
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own. Pug Blasts Off is the first book in the Diary of a Pug series of Scholastic's Branches line of early chapter books. This books will be a hit for it's intended target of children ages 5-7 years old. In this book, we are introduced to a Pug named Bub. The book is in diary format from Bub's point of view. We find out how Pug spends his days and meet his owner Bella. Bella surprises Bub be entering them ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Pug Blasts Off (Diary of a Pug) by Kyla May, 72 pages. GRAPHIC NOVEL/CHAPTER BOOK. Acorn (Scholastic), OCT 2019. $5 (PB). 9781338530056

Content: G

BUYING ADVISORY: EL (K-3) - OPTIONAL

AUDIENCE APPEAL: AVERAGE

The Inventor Fair is coming up and Bub the Pug’s human, Bella, is working on her invention. When Bub ruins it, he has to work really hard to help Bella succeed.

A good buy in paperback. Bub is pretty cute and his earnestness when he tries to help Bella is adorable. Get all of the Acorns for tho
April Grob
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The cuteness is real real. I think this is cute 2-4 grade book.
Jaclyn
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, kids
Cute story and enjoyed the illustrations. The pug is exactly how I picture most pugs to be.
annielikestoread
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this arc from Scholastic at bookcon. Although I'm not in the targeted reading audience, I read it anyway and I thought it was cute and funny. Great book for kids.
Emily
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute and funny new Scholastic Branches series about a pug named Barron Von Bubbles a.k.a Bub! I read an advanced copy - the first book comes out in September/October 2019.
Christy
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Pick a book. Grow a Reader!

This series is part of Scholastic's early chapter book line, Branches, aimed at newly independent readers. With easy-to-read text, high-interest content, fast-paced plots, and illustrations on every page, these books will boost reading confidence and stamina. Branches books help readers grow!

Baron von Bubbles, a.k.a "Bub," is the self-proclaimed cutest pug on the
Becky B
Bub is trying to help his human, Bella, develop her invention for the contest she has entered, but things aren't going smoothly. There's his fear of the rain and heights, and a very pesky squirrel. Can he help Bella, or is he too much of a chicken?

This is part traditional text and part graphic novel, so it is a pretty quick read. I like that it is in full color, as that helps draw readers in. And I like the little girl into science. Bub is sure to win over readers quickly. He's a well-meaning, l
Mandy
May 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Baron Von Bubbles, more commonly known as Bub is a pug who loves his human Bella, but hates getting wet. Bub is excited to help Bella with her Inventor’s Challenge contest. A mischievous squirrel causes trouble with Bella’s project and Bub is determined to help fix it. Bella uses Bub’s dislike of water as inspiration for a new invention.

Short chapter book with color pictures. Fun dog story with engineering connections.
Christine Rains
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is an adorable children's book featuring Baron von Bubbles. Just call him Bub! He belongs to an adorable girl named Bella. The two of them are inseparable. In this first book, they enter the Inventor Challenge together. There's a naughty squirrel and a snooty cat. Gorgeous illustrations. It was a fun short read.
Dreaday
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I don’t know why, but this just rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I had high expectations after Crabby. Least importantly, I found the fact that the pug had the same expression on his face (despite the various emotions he went through!) to be incredibly annoying.
Kris Patrick
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five stars and I'm completely serious.

1. We need more transitional chapter books.
2. Clear, easy to read handwriting font without too many words on a page.
3. Adorable illustrations.
4. Funny speech bubbles.
5. Relevant, timely storyline - Inventor's Challenge.
Cara
My son really loved this book and it was even entertaining for me to listen to as well. This was his first chapter book and he had a great experience with it. The story was engaging and kept him interested, so did the pictures. Can't wait to read more Pug books by Kyla May.
Dawn
Super cute beginner chapter book starring an adorable pug named Bubbles; his owner, Bella; a cat, Duchess; and a pesky squirrel named Nutz.
In the first book in the series, Bella and Bubbles decide to enter an invention contest, but their inventions need a bit of work...
Sara
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I saw this book in my library's ebook list and had to read it. Why? Because I am in love with pugs. This is a great read and I could see the characteristics of both of my pugs in Bub. From the not loving to go outside in the rain to being annoyed by Nutz. Super fun book.
Bub the Pug tries to help his Bella make an invention that will win the inventors contest. When things go wrong he has to problem solve at several steps. Cute but not clever. Second graders will love it.
Heidi
Jul 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Per the kid, “this is a 5 star because it’s funny. Pug is silly, and I love the notes that he writes.”

It is a cute chapter book. I enjoyed the diary style, and the play between the cat, dog and squirrel. Very creative and colorful.
Pam
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lower-elem
Scholastic Acorns Level
Pug works hard to help his owner, Bella, create a new invention for the Inventors Fair.
Simple text and brightly colored pictures draw young readers in.

• Bo's Magical New Friend (Unicorn Diaries #1)
  • Bo and the Dragon-Pup (Unicorn Diaries, #2)
  • Eva's Campfire Adventure: A Branches Book (Owl Diaries #12)
  • Sparkly New Friends (Unicorn and Yeti, #1)
  • Don't Call Me Bear!
  • The Magic Mirror: A Branches Book (Once Upon a Fairy Tale #1)
  • A Woodland Wedding (Owl Diaries, #3)
  • A Good Team: An Acorn Book (Unicorn and Yeti #2)
  • The Bad Guys: Episode 9: The Big Bad Wolf
  • The Trip to the Pumpkin Farm: A Branches Book (Owl Diaries #11)
  • Eva and Baby Mo: A Branches Book (Owl Diaries #10)
  • Eva's Treetop Festival (Owl Diaries, #1)
  • Heidi Heckelbeck Has a Secret
  • Beneath the Bed and Other Scary Stories (Mister Shivers)
  • Snow Place Like Home (Diary of an Ice Princess #1)
  • The Brain is Kind of a Big Deal
  • How I Met My Monster (I Need My Monster)
  • Truman the Dog

Diary of a Pug (5 books)
  • Pug’s Snow Day (Diary of a Pug #2)
  • Paws for a Cause (Diary of a Pug #3)
  • Pug's Got Talent: A Branches Book (Diary of a Pug #4)
  • Scaredy-Pug: A Branches Book (Diary of a Pug #5)