Start by marking “The Whispering Wars” as Want to Read:
The Whispering Wars

The Whispering Wars

(Kingdoms and Empires #2)

From the award-winning Jaclyn Moriarty comes a spellbinding tale of unlikely friendship, unexpected magic and competitive athletics.
The town of Spindrift is frequented by all kinds of Shadow Mages and charlatans.

It's also home to the Orphanage School, where Finlay lives with Glim, Taya, and Eli. Just outside town is the painfully posh Brathelthwaite Boarding School, home
Published October 1st 2019 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published November 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Whispering Wars, please sign up.
Philippa (Tea in the Treetops) I think companion novel is a better term for it. They can be read completely separately. However... both are set in the same universe and you will…moreI think companion novel is a better term for it. They can be read completely separately. However... both are set in the same universe and you will find lots of little references and cameos from Bronte Mettlestone in this which will obviously make for a richer reading experience if you've read Bronte Mettlestone first!(less)
Cassandra Bronte is a minor character. (It's also set a wee while before Bronte's story)

I haven't read The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte…more
Bronte is a minor character. (It's also set a wee while before Bronte's story)

I haven't read The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone yet, so I can happily say that The Slightly Alarming Tale ... is perfectly good as a standalone, I thoroughly enjoyed it.(less)

Start your review of The Whispering Wars
Kerri
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books so much! Jaclyn Moriarty has this incredible way of writing, it's fun and easy to read but there's also so much going on. The plots are original and veer in unexpected directions, the characters are brilliant and engaging - this really is a brilliant book and a wonderful follow up to one my favourite books, The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone.
Also, the illustrations by Kelly Canby are such a beautiful part of the book, I loved turning to a full page
Trisha
Update. I wrote about this at my blog, Trish Talks Texts, in the same review as Lenny's Book of Everything.

I find it difficult to explain how much I love this author's writing.

Her books are complicated, witty and never talk down to children.

Makes me want to go back to Bronte and re-read.

Loved this a lot.
Megan Maurice
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So magical and beautiful! I love all of Jaclyn Moriartys books and this one was no exception. I loved the way it was part of the world of the previous Kingdoms and Empires book and brought us some of the great characters from that book, while also telling a completely new story and introducing a wonderful cast of new characters. It also has so much of the authors characteristic humour and I had so many laugh out loud moments while reading it. ...more
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Seventeen children have disappeared from Spindrift, thousands of children across the Kingdoms and Empires. The town of Spindrift resides within the Kingdom of Gusts, Gales, Squalls and Violent Storms, each year children within the Kingdom participating in the Spindrift Tournament for prestige, including the children of the Orphanage, reigning defenders of the tournament. Brathelthwaite Boarding School are competing in the tournament, the privileged students and conceited headmaster believe ...more
Philippa (Tea in the Treetops)
Jaclyn Moriarty delivers again with another whimsical adventure set in the world of Kingdoms and Empires. While it could be enjoyed as a standalone novel, this is best read after finishing its predecessor due to a smattering of cameos and events that featured in the first book.

Set at the beginning of the Whispering Wars in the town of Spindrift, the story alternates between two protagonists, Finlay and Honey Bee. These children are from two rival schools the Orphanage School (Finlay) and
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss

Perfectly fine, but I can't sell the British orphanage type fantasy book in my library at all. This would be good for readers who like Wood's Incorrigible Children or Byng's Molly Moon.
Leticia
Aug 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although less charming that it's prequel, still a quirky and enjoyable escape from the dreary everyday existence in 2020.
I love the social commentary that is written between the lines that really creates the opportunity to develop critical thinking and a social conscience. Kids fiction sometimes does this in such an allegorical way and it doesn't feel like political values being shoved down your throat. More covert than Suess' Lorax, Moriarty feeds the minds of questioners and adventurers.
I will
Leah
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was too long and too heavy-handed. I was looking for a fun, light fantasy, but this wasn't it. It had a promising beginning, but it faded for me quickly. I did like the magic in this story. It was interesting to see how it worked. I also like that characters from the previous book appear in this story, though I haven't read that one. It took a long time for them to show up and connect the two books. I didn't like the characters, though, from either story.
Victoria
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entirely brilliant book. Borrowed it from the library for my son and he insisted I read it afterwards. Very glad I did. Thinking that I must read more children's literature this year.
Erin
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Enjoyed this just as much as nevermoor. This one is a bit more accessible to younger students though I think.
Marcus
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really good book,do not want to give to much away but you should totally read it!!!!!!
Emilee
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun, whimsical, and entertaining, this new tale in this world is an excellent entry from Moriarty!!
Julie
Aug 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a delightful follow up/prequel to The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Meddlestone! Im hoping there are more books in our future! ...more
Karyn Silverman
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, 2019-reads, mg
Slightly alarming and thoroughly delightful, with a side of serious, pretending to be light. Love Moriarty, and love the crazy kingdoms she has created.
Leslie
This is a Kingdoms & Empires novel. You will want to read Brontes adventure first, because youll like this one better if you do. Moriarty covers her bases, but when a key figure reappears and youre wondering: what?! having read the other book, at least you will also experience: oh!! (maybe rub your hands together). Too, there are mentions, peoplejust read the other book first.

Jaclyn Moriarty will return with a second installment of Kingdom and Empires with the Whispering Wars we hear about
Kim
Jaclyn Moriarty is probably one of the best Australian authors currently being published. I first read Feeling Sorry for Celia in 2001 and I've been following Moriarty's work ever since. Her move to children's books just feels so right there's always been a whimsical, magical quality to her work and it works so well with children's books, particularly children's fantasy.

The Slightly Alarming Tales of the Whispering Wars is the second installment of the Kingdoms and Empires series, set about 15
Warwick Stubbs
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE LISTENER & READER REVIEW

My Partner (the listener):
I had this read to me by my partner and found it to be a thoroughly entertaining book! A good read for young adults and adults who are children at heart. It had a great mix of drama, suspense, feel good and laugh-out-loud moments from the great dialogue written through the child characters' eyes. It didn't bother me that the "end" was continuing to be explained because at least it wrapped it all up, and tied up all the loose ends. 4/5

Me
Stephanie Bange
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
Reviewed from an ARC.

Finlay (a boy from the Orphanage School) and Honey Bee (a student at Braithelthwaite Boarding School) alternate chapters to tell what happened in the town of Spindrift, when they were in the middle of the Whispering Wars - hundreds of children have being stolen across the kingdom, a magical flu hits the town, and those who practice the shadow arts are not to be trusted, particularly the Whisperers, who seem to have a super, nefarious power over all. This fantasy is the
Akilah
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 59, middle-grade, 2020, april
THAT CLASS COMMENTARY, THOUGH.

Listen, the best thing about this book is just how hard Moriarty goes in on class warfare and how children can be taught from a very young age (a) not to care about poor people or (b) that they're somehow better than poor people based on nothing else but the accidental circumstances of their birth. It starts in the first chapter and goes all the way until the end. It is so well-handled, and I can imagine any number of children going "But that's not fair!" as they
Caspette
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful follow up to the book Extremely inconvenient adventures of bronte mettlestone. This story is set during the time before the first book, during the start of The Whispering Wars.

This story follows a new group of kids as they deal with war breaking out and the changes it wrecks on their lives and community. The main narrators are Finlay and Honey Bee, two kids from opposite ends of the social spectrum (one being poor and the other rich). The two learn to over come their differences and
Kylie Purdie
This is one of the Australian Children's Book Council 2019 shortlisted younger reader books.

The second of the books on the list this year that is fairly hefty! Running to over 500 pages, I think some children would be intimidated by it. One the plus side, if they are willing to tackle it, it's a pretty good read.

Moriarty provides plenty of wonderful characters for her readers. What's more, they are clever and funny. I did think it was a bit long though. At times I wanted her to just get on with
Kjersten
Aug 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
LisaSunshineGirl
This is must-read, and worthy of multiple re-readings. An athletic rivalry between an orphanage and a posh boarding school is interrupted by a series of magical attacks. With the entire town of Spindrift at stake, can Finlay and his fellow orphans and Honey Bee and her cronies from boarding school find a way to work together?

What Regina Spektor is to music, Jaclyn Moriarty is to the written word. She has a whimsical and imaginative writing style. This story combined the escapades of "The Year of
Angela
Nov 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 9yo and I enjoyed this more than the first Kingdoms & Empires book. I definitely liked Honeybee and Finlay more than Bronte, though Bronte makes an appearance here too. It was funny yet also delved into more serious topics like war and death and concentration camps for kids in a kid-friendly manner.

I've found that a lot of children's books these days feature badly behaved adults, particularly parents. I get that it's to allow the children to shine and show their mettle, but as a parent
Mary Drover
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
My review for The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone is linked. This was honestly just as adorable as the first one. I truly just derive a lot of joy out of these characters and this quirky little story. I wish Id either reread Bronte or read these closer together so that I could remember some of the details from Bronte since this tells the tale of the Whispering Wars, which happened before Brontes time. This is a prequel, but it contains time travel, so it does reference ...more
Munro's Kids
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so supremely up my alley that I considered giving it 4 stars to be "objective". But screw that - this was a joyous and satisfying read for me. Quirky, humorous children's fantasy is hard to pull off well - there is a lot of overly precious nonsense out there - but Moriarty sets a high standard for the genre. The Whispering Wars is less purely funny than Bronte Mettlestone, but its narrative is stronger overall and its ending much less rushed and haphazard. As a companion of sorts to ...more
♫ KATHERINE ♫
I have never actually read K&E no.1, but I picked this off the shelf and my boredom was instantly vanquished. This book was highly entertaining, and quite hilarious. It might seem juvenile, but it was a quick and easy read (the language and style - not the 500 pages) and much better to grasp than A Clockwork Orange, (the book which I read beforehand). Looking for something nice and fun? Try this book.
Kelly Callaghan
A story told by two narrators, mostly turn about.

In the town of Spendthrift the Orphanage and private school are neck and neck at the athletics carnival. The race, won by the orphanage, leads to their disqualification on a technicality. This leads to an all out brawl and another child disappears. Can the children work together to rescue the missing children?

Some interesting concept clearly explained for the younger reader.
Lorna Arancibia
Feb 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adored this book - I must pick up a copy so I can see the illustrations (downside of audio)
Was great to have the book told from alternate points of view. Also loved the intertwined storyline - hadn't realised this was a second book of a series but it still made sense. I will be going back to read (listen) the first book.
Will the children from differing social standings/backgrounds be able to defeat the enemy or will their differences prove to be a hindrance? ...
Tara
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

• His Name Was Walter
  • Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)
  • The Peacock Detectives
  • The Unadoptables
  • Willow Moss & the Lost Day (Starfell #1)
  • Jinxed (Jinxed, #1)
  • The Dragon Egg Princess
  • Lenny's Book of Everything
  • Wakestone Hall (Stella Montgomery, Book 3)
  • Never Fear (Friday Barnes, #8)
  • Black Cockatoo
  • Wormwood Mire (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #2)
  • Leave Taking
  • The Dog Runner
  • Brindabella
  • Under Suspicion (Friday Barnes, #2)
  • Big Trouble (Friday Barnes, #3)
  • No Rules (Friday Barnes, #4)
Jaclyn Moriarty is an Australian writer of young adult literature.

She studied English at the University of Sydney, and law at Yale University and Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, where she was awarded a PhD.

She is the younger sister of Liane Moriarty. She was previously married to Canadian writer Colin McAdam, and has a son, Charlie. She currently lives in Sydney.

Kingdoms and Empires (2 books)
  • The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (Kingdoms & Empires, #1)