Start by marking “The Whispering Wars” as Want to Read:
The Whispering Wars

The Whispering Wars

(Kingdoms and Empires #2)

From the award-winning Jaclyn Moriarty comes a spellbinding tale of unlikely friendship, unexpected magic and competitive athletics.
The town of Spindrift is frequented by all kinds of Shadow Mages and charlatans.

It's also home to the Orphanage School, where Finlay lives with Glim, Taya, and Eli. Just outside town is the painfully posh Brathelthwaite Boarding School, h
Published October 1st 2019 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published November 1st 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Whispering Wars, please sign up.
Philippa (Tea in the Treetops) I think companion novel is a better term for it. They can be read completely separately. However... both are set in the same universe and you will…moreI think companion novel is a better term for it. They can be read completely separately. However... both are set in the same universe and you will find lots of little references and cameos from Bronte Mettlestone in this which will obviously make for a richer reading experience if you've read Bronte Mettlestone first!(less)
Cassandra Bronte is a minor character. (It's also set a wee while before Bronte's story)

I haven't read The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte…more
Bronte is a minor character. (It's also set a wee while before Bronte's story)

I haven't read The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone yet, so I can happily say that The Slightly Alarming Tale ... is perfectly good as a standalone, I thoroughly enjoyed it.(less)

Start your review of The Whispering Wars
Kerri
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books so much! Jaclyn Moriarty has this incredible way of writing, it's fun and easy to read but there's also so much going on. The plots are original and veer in unexpected directions, the characters are brilliant and engaging - this really is a brilliant book and a wonderful follow up to one my favourite books, The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone.
Also, the illustrations by Kelly Canby are such a beautiful part of the book, I loved turning to a full p
Trisha
Update. I wrote about this at my blog, Trish Talks Texts, in the same review as Lenny's Book of Everything.

I find it difficult to explain how much I love this author's writing.

Her books are complicated, witty and never talk down to children.

Makes me want to go back to Bronte and re-read.

Loved this a lot.
Megan Maurice
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So magical and beautiful! I love all of Jaclyn Moriarty’s books and this one was no exception. I loved the way it was part of the world of the previous Kingdoms and Empires book and brought us some of the great characters from that book, while also telling a completely new story and introducing a wonderful cast of new characters. It also has so much of the author’s characteristic humour and I had so many laugh out loud moments while reading it.
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
Seventeen children have disappeared from Spindrift, thousands of children across the Kingdoms and Empires. The town of Spindrift resides within the Kingdom of Gusts, Gales, Squalls and Violent Storms, each year children within the Kingdom participating in the Spindrift Tournament for prestige, including the children of the Orphanage, reigning defenders of the tournament. Brathelthwaite Boarding School are competing in the tournament, the privileged students and conceited headmaster believe victo ...more
Philippa (Tea in the Treetops)
Jaclyn Moriarty delivers again with another whimsical adventure set in the world of Kingdoms and Empires. While it could be enjoyed as a standalone novel, this is best read after finishing its predecessor due to a smattering of cameos and events that featured in the first book.

Set at the beginning of the Whispering Wars in the town of Spindrift, the story alternates between two protagonists, Finlay and Honey Bee. These children are from two rival schools – the Orphanage School (Finla
Karyn Silverman
Slightly alarming and thoroughly delightful, with a side of serious, pretending to be light. Love Moriarty, and love the crazy kingdoms she has created.
Victoria
Dec 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entirely brilliant book. Borrowed it from the library for my son and he insisted I read it afterwards. Very glad I did. Thinking that I must read more children's literature this year.
Erin
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars. Enjoyed this just as much as nevermoor. This one is a bit more accessible to younger students though I think.
Marcus
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
really good book,do not want to give to much away but you should totally read it!!!!!!
Emilee
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun, whimsical, and entertaining, this new tale in this world is an excellent entry from Moriarty!!
Kim
Jaclyn Moriarty is probably one of the best Australian authors currently being published. I first read Feeling Sorry for Celia in 2001 and I've been following Moriarty's work ever since. Her move to children's books just feels so right — there's always been a whimsical, magical quality to her work and it works so well with children's books, particularly children's fantasy.

The Slightly Alarming Tales of the Whispering Wars is the second installment of the Kingdoms and Empires series, set about 15 years before  The Ebefore />Theso
Warwick Stubbs
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE LISTENER & READER REVIEW

My Partner (the listener):
I had this read to me by my partner and found it to be a thoroughly entertaining book! A good read for young adults and adults who are children at heart. It had a great mix of drama, suspense, feel good and laugh-out-loud moments from the great dialogue written through the child characters' eyes. It didn't bother me that the "end" was continuing to be explained because at least it wrapped it all up, and tied up all the loose ends. 4/5

Me (/>Me/>My
Caspette
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful follow up to the book “ Extremely inconvenient adventures of bronte mettlestone”. This story is set during the time before the first book, during the start of The Whispering Wars.

This story follows a new group of kids as they deal with war breaking out and the changes it wrecks on their lives and community. The main narrators are Finlay and Honey Bee, two kids from opposite ends of the social spectrum (one being poor and the other rich). The two learn to over come their d
Kylie Purdie
This is one of the Australian Children's Book Council 2019 shortlisted younger reader books.

The second of the books on the list this year that is fairly hefty! Running to over 500 pages, I think some children would be intimidated by it. One the plus side, if they are willing to tackle it, it's a pretty good read.

Moriarty provides plenty of wonderful characters for her readers. What's more, they are clever and funny. I did think it was a bit long though. At times I wanted
Mary Drover
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
My review for The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone is linked. This was honestly just as adorable as the first one. I truly just derive a lot of joy out of these characters and this quirky little story. I wish I’d either reread Bronte or read these closer together so that I could remember some of the details from Bronte since this tells the tale of the Whispering Wars, which happened before Bronte’s time. This is a prequel, but it contains time travel, so it does reference the first ...more
Alicia
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I swear, there is no author who writes such consistently charming books as Jaclyn Moriarty. This is a follow-up to Bronte Mettlestone, set fifteen years earlier (but featuring several familiar characters). It's the same sort of hilarious, sweet, and action packed story, narrated in turns by a boy from the local orphanage and a girl from the local ritzy boarding school, who . . . Well, that would be a spoiler. Suffice it to say there are adventures and magic afoot. Great and delightful s
Munro's Kids
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was so supremely up my alley that I considered giving it 4 stars to be "objective". But screw that - this was a joyous and satisfying read for me. Quirky, humorous children's fantasy is hard to pull off well - there is a lot of overly precious nonsense out there - but Moriarty sets a high standard for the genre. The Whispering Wars is less purely funny than Bronte Mettlestone, but its narrative is stronger overall and its ending much less rushed and haphazard. As a companion of sorts to Bronte Mettlestone I think it ...more
Katherine the Omnipotent
I have never actually read K&E no.1, but I picked this off the shelf and my boredom was instantly vanquished. This book was highly entertaining, and quite hilarious. It might seem juvenile, but it was a quick and easy read (the language and style - not the 500 pages) and much better to grasp than A Clockwork Orange, (the book which I read beforehand). Looking for something nice and fun? Try this book.
Kelly Callaghan
A story told by two narrators, mostly turn about.

In the town of Spendthrift the Orphanage and private school are neck and neck at the athletics carnival. The race, won by the orphanage, leads to their disqualification on a technicality. This leads to an all out brawl and another child disappears. Can the children work together to rescue the missing children?

Some interesting concept clearly explained for the younger reader.
Helene
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this book is absolutely fantastic!
The way our two protagonists argue with each other trough the chapters, or sometimes ask a third character to write a chapter is clever and hilarious.

I had the honour of meeting the author in a bookstore, and I asked if it had two points of view, or multiple.
She did not have a clear answer for me, and now I know exactly why.
AD
Another great magical adventure for kids. I think this stands alone without having read book 1 (Bronte doesn’t even appear until about 100 pages in!) but you should definitely read book 1 anyway because it’s great! I love Moriarty’s tone in these stories, with her dry humour. Highly recommend!
Anna Davidson
Another fun, adventurous (albeit long) romp through the land of Kingdoms and Empires. No need to have read The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone; this book stands alone nicely. A worthy inclusion in this year’s CBCA Younger Reader shortlist.
Charlotte
Jan 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good.
I like the way Bronte is in this story along with Alejandro from the first kingdoms and empires book!
Leone
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fabulously entertaining. As I read, I could hear the words being spoken. Just beautiful and full of charm and whimsy. Wonderful
Alice
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book
Srosch
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this as an arc and think it’s fantastic, at least I assume it’s this book. Adventure, friendship and dragons make for a great read and even more fun!
Jessica Gallagher
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Other than the fact that it felt at times like it took way too long to get to where it was getting to, it was a lovely little book with strong little characters.
Sherry Mackay
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first one, but still a fun read.
Gill
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
so perfect.
Full Review on blog
Ms. Yingling
E ARC from Edelweiss

Perfectly fine, but I can't sell the British orphanage type fantasy book in my library at all. This would be good for readers who like Wood's Incorrigible Children or Byng's Molly Moon.

• His Name Was Walter
  • Lenny's Book of Everything
  • The Peacock Detectives
  • Leave Taking
  • Black Cockatoo
  • Wakestone Hall (Stella Montgomery, Book 3)
  • Brindabella
  • Wormwood Mire (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #2)
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • Vincent and the Grandest Hotel on Earth
  • The Good Thieves
  • The Bogan Mondrian
  • The Adventures of Catvinkle
  • Everything I've Never Said
  • Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #2)
  • The Art of Taxidermy
  • Detention
  • Inheritance
Jaclyn Moriarty is an Australian writer of young adult literature.

She studied English at the University of Sydney, and law at Yale University and Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, where she was awarded a PhD.

She is the younger sister of Liane Moriarty. She was previously married to Canadian writer Colin McAdam, and has a son, Charlie. She currently lives in Sydney.

Kingdoms and Empires (2 books)
  • The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (Kingdoms & Empires, #1)
“It's tricky being shy. You blame yourself for it, and other people blame you too.” 3 likes