Start by marking “Beneath the Bed and Other Scary Stories: An Acorn Book (Mister Shivers)” as Want to Read:
Beneath the Bed and Other Scary Stories: An Acorn Book (Mister Shivers)

Beneath the Bed and Other Scary Stories: An Acorn Book

(Mister Shivers #1)

New York Times bestselling author Max Brallier's easy-to-read scary stories are perfect for beginning readers!
Pick a book. Grow a Reader!

This series is part of Scholastic's early reader line, Acorn, aimed at children who are learning to read. With easy-to-read text, a short-story format, and full-color artwork on every spread, these books will boost reading confidence and
Published September 3rd 2019 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Beneath the Bed and Other Scary Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beneath the Bed and Other Scary Stories

Start your review of Beneath the Bed and Other Scary Stories: An Acorn Book (Mister Shivers)
Mischenko
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We found this one so fun to read. The stories are simple but pretty creepy with the dark illustrations! This reads quickly and we enjoyed all five stories. Great for Halloween. It's probably best for ages 5/6 and up.

5*****
Trish
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very small book for little children. That, however, doesn't mean that the stories in it aren't creepy. *evil grin*

The five stories here are about
1. a dare
2. body horror
3. a witchy yard sale
4. a messy child being punished
5. living in a dangerous new home

All stories are relatively short and illustrated with very nice illustrations (some panels being cute, others rather creepy) of the appropriate colour palette.

Really cool addition to anyone's Spooktober book list, especially with
Emily
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-chapter
Okay, so everything about this book from the subject matter to the illustrations is obviously evoking In a Dark, Dark Room and Other Scary Stories, which is THE early literacy horror classic. And the first story in this collection is REALLY GOOD, so I was all set for this to be an instant classic as well. Sadly, none of the other stories ever quite reached the high bar the first one set. Keep in mind, they were all entertaining and delightful in the same way as Alvin Schwartz's work, and I loved ...more
Carrie
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Some of these actually gave me a chill.
Jessica Hernandez
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hardgalley
Very fun! Easy to read. Some stories left you with an giggle, but all were just creepy enough to leave you feeling uncomfortable. Definitely in the same vein as Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark but for readers 5-7yrs old.
Lots of love! Can't wait to see the finished copy with full color artwork.
Lisa Marie
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: early-fic
A surprisingly fun early reader! Loved the stories, loved the illustrations.
Jessie Bond
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spooky, early-reader
The first story in this book genuinely freaked me out and the second made me want to vomit. 10/10, extremely spooky, perfect for early readers in need of a fright. Definitely going to recommend liberally this Halloween season.
mg
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I'll admit it : I was a little spooked. (And I'll be ok if I never read THE HAIR DOWN TO MY STOMACH ever again...)

I'm delighted there is a truly scary set of stories for beginning readers! So many of the kids in my library love scary stories - I feel like this would be right up their alley. We need all genres for beginning readers and characters of great diversity - I feel like this title is on the right track.

Steph
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun to see scary stories for young readers! Loving Scholastic’s Acorn series!
Amanda
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cbmr-reviewed
Mister Shivers shares five spine-tingling stories. In the first, a brother and sister accept a dare to enter an old mansion where they discover a startling surprise. In the second, a girl is sure a hair is stuck in her throat, but then maybe it’s not a hair at all, maybe it’s something much worse. The third story tells of a boy whose mother never should have bought a certain statue. In the fourth story it becomes quite clear that a boy should never have left his toys out in the rain. In the last ...more
Tasha
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This easy reader is a wonderful choice for older children who need a simpler text. The book is full of shivers and delights for those who love a good creepy story. The book has five individual stories, each a stand-alone tale which also makes this a great pick for smaller and shorter reading sessions. The book begins with a box left at someone’s door full of items for stories. Those objects are then the basis of each tale. There is a scary house and dare to enter it. There are neglected toys ...more
Amy_Read to My Heart's Content
This was a great book to read with kids with the lights dimmed and using your creativity.. I read aloud slowly and paused often; this seemed to intensify the spookiness. Even though my sons were much older than the intended targe.t audience, they still Jumped at the end of the last story, A Noise at the Window( Probably with the help of my yelling "B00"!
My14 year old mused that the simple ending of A Dark and Stormy Night was more terrifying than telling the reader what happened. This is a fun
Michael Kikle
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just finished reading this book. I thought it was so great, for a kid’s short horror story collection. It reminds me so much of “In A Dark, Dark Room, and Other Scary Stories” by Alvin Schwartz (one of my favorite writers of all time). That book scared me, when I was a child, and I feel this one would have, as well, even though it’s brand new. I highly recommend this.

My favorite story is probably the one with the statue.

Even though I’m an adult, I will be buying all of these, as they come out
Ms Threlkeld
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
As someone who repeatedly devoured Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark as a kid, this book was right up my alley. Five surprisingly scary stories accompanied by dark illustrations provide readers with just enough information to get sufficiently creeped out. The text is written at a 1st grade level, but may be too spooky for some young readers. Perfect for those students who want to read Eerie Elementary and Notebook of Doom, but can't quite grasp them on their own.
Lauren
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an Easy Reader type book from Scholastic’s new Acorn line of books for kids learning to read. I typically seriously dislike early or beginning readers because they make no sense and have no story to them, this book however was awesome. It features 5 different short stories and they’re all very weird and slightly creepy. This very much makes me excited to read and recommend other books in this line.
Amy Goldstein
This is the perfect little books for little ones who want to be scared! Easy to read and eerily illustrated, the spooky stories touch on all the fears children can dream up! Stories of the dark, revenge from your mistreated toys and what happens when you ignore an adult's caution. Bold words and spacing between phrases will help little ones add just the right emphasis to their reading.
Krista Campbell
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review from my 8 year old named Abby:

Book was given to me at bookcon in NY. 4 1/2 stars This book is mostly scary if you think this could happen to you. Some of the stores are funny too. Like the statue with the blanket. My favorite story’s where A Dark And Stormy Night & The Noise At The Window. The art was good and I can’t wait to see the soon to come pictures.
Jennifer Brinkmeyer
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-challenge
Fabulous book of child's first scary stories. Story structures honor the genre. Scares are appropriate for my four YO, who is a moderate when it comes to scares. Beautifully haunting illustrations. Great precursor to Schwartz's masterpieces.
Erin
If you have a blossoming reader who likes to be freaked out, this is it. The one. The book you’ve been waiting for. Creepy with delightful illustrations, these stories aren’t gory or violent... but each ending sets you up for pretty awful nightmares if you have any imagination at all.
Filipa Maia
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the perfect little book to introduce scary stories to young readers.
The short stories are rather creepy (especially the one about the "hair" in the throat) and the illustrations are just funny and dark at the same time.
I'm putting this book in my little neighbor's Christmas stocking.
Billie
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The stories aren't very scary but have slightly scary little twists at the end, which is probably perfect for the young readers for whom they're intended. I loved the illustrations and felt they added just the perfect atmosphere to the stories.
Alina
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Okay, why was I freaked out by some of the stories in this book! Granted I'm a big chicken and can be easily spooked ha, but this was great quick Halloween read. Great for the older kiddos that enjoy the spooky thrills. Could read one story a night or read all together.
Kelly
Oct 29, 2019 added it
Shelves: spooky-scary, 2019
Ooh, this is a really good book and scary! I look forward to more in this series.
Karla
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
lovely illustrations to accompany some seriously creepy tales in this very short book. This just might give your kid AND you nightmares!
Tally, The Chatty Introvert
Not very scary, but has good build up and atmosphere for younger kids (say 1st to 2nd grade). Worth a read for a very slender bit of the demographic.
Lindsey
It definitely feels like a retelling of Alvin Schwartz's stories from "In a Dark, Dark Wood." The illustrations are beautiful.
Tiffany
Oct 10, 2019 rated it liked it
First two stories were creepy but the others we're just silly.
DaNae
Scary Stories you are welcome to tell in the dark, for the youngest of readers.
Dedra
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just the right amount of creepy for beginning readers!
Pamela Powell
Sep 24, 2019 rated it liked it
A new imprint for Scholastic, Acorn, includes early readers. This book contains 5 short stories and is well illustrated. Very creepy in my opinion!

• The Great Santa Stakeout
  • The Scarecrow
  • Small in the City
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Dasher
  • I Am a Super Girl!: An Acorn Book (Princess Truly #1)
  • I Am a Tiger
  • Do Not Lick this Book
  • Hi, Jack!
  • Scary Stories for Young Foxes
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers
MAX BRALLIER is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of more than thirty books for children and adults, including the middle-grade monster-zombie series The Last Kids on Earth.

Under the pen name Jack Chabert, he is the author and creator of the Eerie Elementary series and authored the New York Times bestselling Poptropica: Vol 1: Mystery of the Map.

Max is also the creator of