Start by marking “The Feminist Handbook: Practical Tools to Resist Sexism and Dismantle the Patriarchy” as Want to Read:

It’s time to fight back! With this intersectional handbook, you’ll discover practical, everyday tips and tools to help you resist sexism, smash the patriarchy, and create a better world for yourself and future generations.

From reproductive rights and the wage gap to #MeToo and #TimesUp—gender inequality permeates nearly every aspect of our culture. From birth and on
Published November 1st 2019 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Feminist Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feminist Handbook

Start your review of The Feminist Handbook: Practical Tools to Resist Sexism and Dismantle the Patriarchy
Lucy Goodfellow
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Non-fiction reads and important stories
5 Stars

A comprehensive and thoroughly entertaining book about intersectional feminism illustrated by interesting scenarios that force the reader to question their level of privilege in this current sociopolitical climate. The activities never take the reader out of the reading experience and only serve to emphasise the importance of activism. It teaches you how to question patriarchal power structures and gives you the tools you'll need to play your part in dismantling them.

If you read this
Heena Rathore P.
It started off great but as it progressed further there was a lot of repetition. Also, I wasn't expecting this book to be a workbook, but it turned out to be one so that was unexpected as well as a bit of a disappointment for me as I was expecting something entirely different from it. As with most of the text on the subject, at many places, I found the preachings and claims of this book a bit irrelevant and somewhat blown out of the proportion. Though I do realize that not everyone is subjected ...more
Johanna Russell
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
'Feminism isn't about women becoming equal to men. Feminism means liberation from patriarchal values and structures that are oppressive to all of us.'
This handbook is something that you'll want to keep referring to and referencing to support your own decisions and back your arguments in life. It is concise, non judgemental and reflects on the shortfallings of feminism in history and how the waves of feminism have developed to overcome them. As well as being a source of information, it presents
Anita Gates
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If they had asked me, I would have given this book a different title, maybe "How to Be Sane While Feminist." But no one did, and "The Feminist Handbook" is probably a better choice, because this invaluable little paperback covers so many different topics, from reproductive law to the diet culture, from wage inequality to meditation. In fact, I'd give this book five stars just for being so ridiculously thorough!

But I'm also particularly fond of it because nobody had ever asked me "When was the
Meg Dillon
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Finally!! I have been waiting for something like this for so long. This is the handbook for feminism that provides a clear outline of its history, current state, and how to be an active feminist moving forward. It is an extremely well written and well thought out book that helps every reader understand feminism and other topics that are interrelated with it (ex. LGBTQIA+, race, status, etc.). What is even better is there is space for your own thinking, your own experiences, and how they relate ...more
sarah xoxo
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2019, arcs
Thank you so much Netgalley for allowing me to read an ARC of this collection!
This was such a useful book, and I am so glad it exists.
This book is aptly named- a handbook for feminists.
This is not too complicated, it is perfect for your first foray in feminism.
My only problem was the first 40% was very slow for me and too dense with statistics and information. I was even considering DNF'ing at some points but I am glad I pushed through. The last 60% was amazing though!
I LOVED that it wasn't
Cameron Airen
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome! It's the practical approach we need to feminism. The author continuously reminds us of the various intersections of oppression so it's not just another white, privileged feminist book. It's full of reflection questions helping you get free from both internalized oppression and changing the outside structures. She offers many examples and covers the main struggles that womxn have faced. I love that she doesn't essentialize womxn, but talks about how the gender binary is ...more
Jodi
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
The Feminist Handbook is not particularly groundbreaking, but it is a good basic "Feminism 101" book that shares the ideas important in 21st century feminism. The Feminist Handbook would be a great introductory book. The best part is that it teaches how patriarchal beliefs affect daily life, and how feminism can improve it. The discussions of privilege and intersectionality were clear and helpful.

Thanks to NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Betsy
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Feminist Handbook was great although it was not what I expected when I received it. it’s part book, part workbook) it was an exceptionally eye opening read. While I have encountered many of the situations that are presented in the book as examples, I didn’t really recognize it for what it was. This book is a great source of information and provides answers but also allows you to come up with your own solutions to recognize patriarchal power structures and begin to break them down. It really ...more
Dora Okeyo
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I wanted to read this book because a friend once asked me if I was a feminist and it took me longer than five minutes to respond. I'm female and growing up there have been so many things, what you'd call a code of conduct that has been expected of me, and this confusion in saying, 'this is weighing me down' to the same people who have lived this lifestyle is what I struggle with every day.
This handbook explores many things from sexism, oppression, these sexist exploitation instilled by a
Cristie Underwood
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
This book really makes the reader think about their role in the current social environment. Are patriarchal power structures impacting your life? The author has tips on how to recognize this and how to work towards resolving it. This book should be required reading for all young women, as we have come so far, but have so far to go to truly be considered equal to men in the workplace and society.
Momo
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Blogger at Momotips

Thanks to New Harbinger Publications and Netgalley for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review. It has not influenced my opinions.

From the title was clear that the main subject was going to be feminism, but I thought it was something like a collection of stories from women that fought for women rights and against discrimination. The book on the contrary is created as a self-help handbook. It doesn’t talk only about feminism but also about other discriminatory
Paperclippe
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent primer into feminism, what it is, who it's for, and why it's important. Bagshaw breaks down feminism into not just its component parts but also its waves and how and why feminism has had to change over time. Each chapter focuses on a particular topic, from intersectionality to reproductive justice and everything in between.

I was extremely pleased at the inclusion of so-called "benevolent" sexism in the discussion; ideas like, "Women deserve to be protected," and "Women's
Dany
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have to admit that I was this close to abandon the book without finishing it because I found the first 40% very flat, with lots of data, but no fluidity. But then something happened and it all starts to make more sense. I truly started enjoying the book and that lasted until the end. The Feminist Handbook does a great job of covering A LOT of field in a simple, easy-to-understand way, and it even includes activities you can do at home.

I'm very glad I read this and I would even recommend it for
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one has been written concisely and with no words wasted. I appreciate the authors for making this read so easy and simple to follow. I loved how the book was not overly dramatic and for providing easy to visualise diagrams and figures. Actually it made the reading fun and faster. Regarding the main issues discussed, it was well done and the chapters were written well with no beating around the bush with relevant day today examples. Great work. Thanks #netgalley for the book ...more
Diah R
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
(I received a digital ARC via NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.)

Perfect for those who are new to feminism. Inside were filled with explanation on the term itself, related subjects, brief history and important people, and even some 'check points' on reader's personal journey on feminism. It isn't a book for everyone who already familiar with feminism, but I guess we all could always learn something out of it.
Suzanne
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was full of helpful ideas and was particularly great about addressing intersectionality.
Catherine
Jan 06, 2020
Joanne
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Lexie
Aug 14, 2019
Melissa Cheresnick
Nov 01, 2019
Raven
rated it did not like it
Aug 06, 2019
Carol
Aug 06, 2019
Sevie
Jan 12, 2020
Soraya Chemaly
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Allison

• The Rival
  • Nectar
  • We Are All Greta: Be Inspired to Save the World
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • Comme un roman
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • Chagrin d'école
  • The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven
  • Metronome Illustre (en francais)
  • The Lifted Veil / Brother Jacob
  • Dred: A Tale of the Great Dismal Swamp
  • Travels of William Bartram
  • Bury the Lede
  • La Milléclat dorée
Joanne Bagshaw is an award-winning professor of psychology and women's studies at Montgomery College. She is also a sex and relationship therapist, with a private practice in Maryland where she lives with her husband and daughter. Joanne writes the popular feminist blog, The Third Wave for Psychology Today.