Start by marking “The Afterlife of Walter Augustus” as Want to Read:

The Afterlife of Walter Augustus

An alternative cover edition for this ASIN can be found here.

Walter Augustus is dead. After decades stuck in the Interim he is ready to move on and be with his family. But just as the end is tantalisingly close, bad luck and a few rash decisions threaten to see him trapped for all eternity.

Letty is not dead. Letty Ferguson is a middle-aged shoe saleswoman who leads a whol
Kindle Edition
Published by Amazon Digital Services (first published July 4th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about The Afterlife of Walter Augustus, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Therobertstribe
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Afterlife of Walter Augustus
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Walter I took to straight away in this story. He is a lovely character who I think readers will instantly hit it off with. It seemed unfair that he has to wait until everyone has forgotten him. To be stuck in limbo, I could easily feel his frustrations growing. He is very much a gentle soul of which has the reader routing for him to get to his final resting place.

Letty is another easy to read about character. Finding the book written by Walter, makes Letty more intrigued with finding out more ab
Jules
I really enjoyed this book. Walter is such an endearing character. This story is entertaining, touching and humorous.

It made me think of my grandad lots while reading it. He died last year just before turning 92 years old, and was also called Walter. I hope Otley Grandad doesn’t mind being stuck in limbo, as I won’t be forgetting him any time soon. Thinking of my grandad probably made this more of an emotional read for me, but in a good way, as it brought back happy memories spent with my grand
J. Schlenker
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly loved this book! Such a unique concept. Walter Augustus for some reason reminded me of Clarence in It's a Wonderful Life. I read this book in two settings, mosts of it in one setting, as it was so hard to put down. Loved Letty. Of course, couldn't stand Victoria. My husband is going to read it now.
Grace J Reviewerlady
Sometimes I think I have the best hobby in the world; when I'm lucky enough to read a book with as much class as this one, I'm sure of it!

Walter Augustus is stuck in the afterlife - in the 'interim'. He hasn't been able to move on to join up with the family he misses so much but has to bide his time until he's called. He has everything he needs but he wants so much more. Letty is very much alive. Childless, both she and her husband have worked hard all their lives and she has suddenly realised t
Ellen
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely adored this book!! Full of heart and humour; I defy you to read this book without shedding a tear. The world, or more aptly heaven building in this story is exquisite and took my breath away. Gorgeous words and full of captivating characters - you need this book in your (after)life!!
Nigel
Jun 06, 2020 marked it as unfinished
I'm sure this isn't a bad read for many but 20% in I'm finished. It's a "hanging around in the afterlife until you are forgotten" book and I have read better. Even during Covid lockdown I have plenty of other books to read that interest me more.
Justine
UPDATE
The world in the afterlife building was hauntingly stunning, every bit of details in the interim was picturesque and believable. It gave me an all new territory of originality. It showed the how, the what, and the why of all things happening to Walter in the interim. Then Letty’s world in the mortal realm. In a situation where Letty is in, with her sister, husband, and career portrayed in such entanglements that’ll make your heart queezy and long for were capturing.

Its narratives were told
❤Marie Gentilcore
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2019, e-book
I was excited to start this story about a spirit who is now in a part of the afterlife called “The Interim" but once I started reading, I was disappointed. The pace dragged, I didn’t really care much about the characters, and it felt like a chore to finish it.
ana darcy
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have loved this book :D

review posted on https://myvicesandweaknesses.wordpres...

How would you feel if the only way for you to reach the eternal life or heaven, as some religions call it, is to be forgotten? Exactly, to be erased from every single person’s mind, to be completely and utterly forgotten.

It may sound dramatic but that is exactly what Walter J. Augustus is waiting for for quite a few years now. He simply wants to go to his “final” afterlife and not to live in the interim where he i
Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader)

3.5 stars rounded up

Normally fantasy and paranormal are not my reading jam, but there was something about the synopsis to The Afterlife of Walter Augustus that piqued my interest right from the start. I had this feeling that Walter Augustus was going to be like Ove (from A Man Called Ove) and I needed to see if I was right. I mean, who doesn’t just love Ove?

Walter Augustus is dead. He is living in the interim until no one remembers him anymore; then he can clear over to the other side and be wit
Angi Plant
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four stars

A really enjoyable story about the experience of one particular afterlifer one Walter Augustus. Such a likeable character that you can’t help but warm to him from the off.
A tale of intrigue and mystery even in the spirit world and the potential for things to go disastrously wrong when we do the basic human thing of meddling where we shouldn’t. I read this story in one sitting as I was so engrossed in how or even if things would resolve in a good way.
There’s a few good “life “ questi
Tori Sorrell-Cook
I loved this book! It wasn't what I expected, it's hard to slot it into any genre (which is actually part of its charm) but the story had me gripped. The characters are so beautifully described that reading the chapters, particularly those about Letty, was almost like looking through a window to thier lives. I really cared about what happened to these people. But far from you everyday drama the additional of the afterlife brings another dimension to this novel. Some super-natural drama that is a ...more
Shelley Miller
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The idea of the afterlife smelling of cut grass and fresh laundry was a humorous and intriguing start to a novel idea about the place people go when they pass on. I really liked Walter (waiting for what seemed to him to be eternity to move to the next level) and Letty (unwittingly thrust into something she couldn’t understand) and couldn’t wait to find out what happened to them next. Great! Couldn’t put it dow!
allieereads
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
NOTE: REVIEW POSTED ORIGINALLY ON MY BLOG WWW.ALLIEEREADS.COM

I’m writing this review on the immediate tail-end of completing The Afterlife of Walter Augustus by Hannah Lynn, and I have so many feelings bursting out of me like little pockets of sunshine expending out of my pores.

Hannah Lynn weaves a sensational narrative depicting the rawness of reality and the inexplicability of life after death. The Afterlife of Walter Augustus tells the tale of a man outside the realm of time, and a woman stuc
Genna
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Full disclosure: I was sent a free copy of this book so that I could review it.

Do you know what I like? I like authors that aren't one trick ponies. I like an author who is capable of writing two very different sorts of novels. I remember feeling this way (begrudgingly) about Connie Willis when, after reading To Say Nothing About the Dog, I picked up Doomsday Book, expecting it to be lighthearted and funny and ended up sobbing through the whole second half. In that vein, The Aftelife of Walter A
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
I finished reading this book 10 days ago and am only just now getting around to writing this review, which is so unlike me! I have to say that the premise of this book is so interesting: when you die you go to the Interim, a kind of in-between heaven, until you are forgotten on Earth.
'It's how people get trapped. Five minutes of fame. Less for some. And that's it. Once your name is on that thing [Google], eternity in the interim awaits. There is no escape.'
I really enjoyed the uniqu
Sue Purbrick
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Lynn takes us on a thoroughly enjoyable romp through the afterlife in this fun read about what happens when we shuffle off this mortal coil. Be warned, though: it may shatter some of your illusions about what happens after death! This was an easy, feel-good read. It was great fun, although I found it a little long in places. I became hugely fond of Walter, who departed this life at least a century ago, and the wonderful Lettie, still alive, who innocently becomes embroiled in a series of ...more
Sandy Jones
May 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The characters of Walter and Letty were both likeable and endearing. The landscapes they inhabited were beautifully described and all drawn with a lightness of touch. My only criticism is the character of Letty's sister felt a bit overdone, almost pantomime villain and her husband too weak but maybe that's just my take. Don't let that put you off. If you want a lighthearted and thoughtful book with a strong witty undercurrent this is for you. A unique story with a feel good ...more
Misty's Book Space
3.5 Stars

First off I want to say thank you to the author for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review and for allowing me to take part in the blog tour.

This book is told from 2 POV. One being from Walter in the Afterlife and the other being from Letty who is still living. Each chapter switches between the two and at first I wasn’t getting how these two “stories” had anything to do with each other. I say stories because that’s how it felt at first. It felt like I was
Cal
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely, heartwarming and emotional story, ‘The Afterlife of Walter Augustus’ is a gentle read that I thoroughly enjoyed. Walter is a character I warmed to straight away and the depiction of the afterlife in this book is captivating.

Beautifully written, with storylines that intertwine seamlessly, Walter and Letty take us on a journey full of warmth, love and humour that I did not want to end. A moving 4 star read that I highly recommend.

Thank you to TBC and the publisher for giving me the oppor
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
I signed up with the author for a blog tour and I thank the stars that I did. I honestly don’t think I’d have read it as it’s not my normal kind of read.

Straight away Walter is a very likeable character. I really liked him. I was also drawn to Letty as I read more of the story.

Great praise to the author for this well written story. I’m so glad I didn’t miss out on reading it. This truly is a beautiful read.
Kelly (purplebookstand)
The Afterlife of Walter Augustus

The blurb from this book really drew me in; something a bit different to my ‘go-to’ psychological thrillers. Best described as a paranormal romance, with a handful of comedy thrown in!

The plot is great, the characters are strong, interesting and instantly endearing. Reading this book was a real treat and I highly recommend that you pick up a copy and have a delve into this beautifully written and heart warming story. 4.5 shiny stars from purplebookstand.
Lissa
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Highly enjoyable.
gj indieBRAG
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that THE AFTERLIFE OF WALTER AUGUSTUS by Hannah M. Lynn is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
SH
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Let me first declare that I received an advance copy of this novel from the publisher. I was not paid for the review. The opinions are my own. Walter Augustus, in his actual life, was a farrier. But he was a farrier with a difference. He wrote a book that comes back to haunt him. Now he’s dead; unless everyone on earth forgets him, he’s destined to a “life” in limbo. The genre is fantasy but the story is also realistic. Well, the bits in the real world are anyway. It really is a fascinating and ...more
Elaina
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My friend recommended this on Facebook and it came free with Kindle Unlimited but honestly it would have been worth the money to pay for it. Really enjoyable, well written.
Rich Bisanz
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise

Well thought out premise, if delves into the after life and what that could be like. I have a different opinion about what to expect when you cross over. Good read, well written, gets you thinking. Thanks
Jane
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable read with great characterisation. A very elegantly written book with humour and several touching moments. It would make a great film
Maggie
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always believed that the dead have never really gone whilst there is someone left to remember them, however I had never thought that it might not be a good thing for the dear departed!

Walter Augustus has been waiting in the 'interim' ready to move on for a very long time. He had been afarrier, but was also a part time poet. A helpful gentleman got his poetry published and although there is only one copy left it is holding him back.

Letty is a busy manager of a shoe shop, with a part time ho
Julie
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A really interesting and quirky book whose protagonist, Walter Augustus, is dead and waiting in the Interim - a heavenly waiting room. In order to move on to eternal happiness, he needs everyone on earth to forget about him. It is quite amusing in parts, definitely poignant and a book that you will remember. The earthly goings-on between a shop assistant, Letty, and her husband plus the sister from hell keep the reader entranced as we wonder if she will confess her secret fortune. Will Walter ev ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sophies' Book Club: The Afterlife of Walter Augustus, by Hannah M. Lynn 8 2 Aug 18, 2020 07:17AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add 4 21 Oct 14, 2018 03:53PM

• Meeting Mungo Thunk
  • The '86 Fix (The '86 Fix #1)
  • Tuned Out
  • Beyond Broadhall (The '86 Fix #2)
  • Before and After
  • Need a Little Time
  • Reaching Down the Rabbit Hole: A Renowned Neurologist Explains the Mystery and Drama of Brain Disease
  • Wakenhyrst
  • Where Seagulls Dare
  • Crone
  • Headcase
  • Wings over Water (A King's Watch Story #2)
  • The Other Half of Augusta Hope
  • The Unhappy Medium (The Unhappy Medium, #1)
  • Ring of Troth (A King's Watch Story #3)
  • The Unsound Convictions of Judge Stephen Mentall
  • George Pearly Is A Miserable Old Sod
  • Kenneth
Hannah Lynn is an award-winning, genre-defying novelist. Publishing her first book, Amendments – a dark, dystopian speculative fiction novel, in 2015, she has since gone on to write The Afterlife of Walter Augustus – a contemporary fiction novel with a supernatural twist – which won the 2018 Kindle Storyteller Award and the delightfully funny and poignant Peas and Carrots series.

While she freely