Start by marking “Drummer Boy” as Want to Read:
Drummer Boy

Drummer Boy

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  217 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
In a wintry little town, a drummer boy appears on a child?s doorstep. And when it is still and quiet, the drummer boy plays, boom pum pum boom pum, and warms the child?s heart. But one day the drummer boy is accidentally knocked into the trash, sending him on a journey he never imagined?a journey on which he continues to play his drum, warming the hearts of others, from a ...more
Published October 2nd 2008 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about Drummer Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drummer Boy

Mischenko
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated book about a little drummer boy toy. Emotional at times. A Christmas favorite.
Melanie
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
Beautifully illustrated and written story book. I found it very engaging. Then on one particular page I felt particularly moved and got emotional thinking about Christmas, family and my past. I wasn't expecting that in a children's storybook. Then I flipped the page and as I read the words I struggled to keep my voice even for my children. They didn't notice my eyes were filled with tears. By the next page I'd controlled myself and managed to finish the book. It is a simple and beautiful story. ...more
Andrea
Aug 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, christmas
Fantastic Christmas picture book! The lore of the little drummer boy, on a city-wide adventure, and coming back to the feet of Jesus. A must read!
Kristina
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My kids and I enjoyed reading this book. I thought that the drummer boys adventure was cute and fun. this book had just enough repetition that the younger kids could get into it. I would recommend this book to others.
Skye Hegyes
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Cute children's book. All around feel-good story about holding on to hope (albeit in a strange roundabout way).
Stanislav242
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book really has hidden meanings, like going back home, and being lost(although many young adults are this way, not children)…really about being lost and found again. How the toys journey begins, he fights through situations, I mean afterall he is a toy soldier. An owl swoops him to the nest, and hungry rats are hostile, but he is able to calm it down with his drum sounds. It’s a nice story, with the drummer boy who soothes the souls and hearts of beings he finds along the way, like rats. Co ...more
Joel
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is quick, fun picture book to share with young audiences during the holidays. The storyline is centered around the adventures of a toy drummer boy. The toy is moved around in a chain of "cause-and-effect" type events that eventually lead it back to its rightful owner. The illustrations are very colorful and pleasing, plus the text is lovingly spliced with onomatopoeia (boom, pum, pum, boom).

Perfect for storytelling events at libraries and in the classroom. Fine arts teachers may find it com
Marcia
A beautifully illustrated picture book of a small toy drummer boy who warms the heart of those he meets. The idea of a toy being dropped or carried through a landscape is vaguely familiar, and of course he ends up where he started. But kids will enjoy it, and the drumming refrain, "Boom pum pum boom pun" will allow them to participate. It is a Christmas book and the drummer boy visits the manger on teh mantel where he plays for Baby Jesus-tying us back to the familiar carol and the best gift we ...more
Rosa Cline
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very nicely written story of a journey of a little drummer boy who was given to a little boy and by accident was knocked off a desk and into the trash can. Then put into the trash truck, travels to the dump, picked up by an animal, etc... the story follows his journey of emotions as he plays his drum and he feels the spirit through the season and in the end feels the true meaning of the Christmas season.
Linda Lipko
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
A simple tale filled with child-like delight. When a mysterious package arrives on the little boy's doorstep, inside he discovers a marvelous drummer boy. When by accident, the drummer boy is swept away in the garbage, the drummer boy makes a long journey, meeting many animals to guide him, he eventually returns and plays for baby Jesus.

The illustrations in this book are magical and marvelous!

Beth
Mar 24, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
The drummer boy toy falls into the trash can and has a long journey from the city dump, to time with the owl, a bell tow, snow, a dog, snowman, and raccoon. His stop at the graveyard actually reunites the toy with his owner at his grandfather's tombstone. The boy gives the drummer boy a spot at his manger.
Neil
Dec 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Notes: The Drummer Boy, by Loren Long has great illustrations.

Book Review: The Drummer Boy goes on quite a journey warming the hearts of others from children to a rat to an owl. The drummer boy even plays to the baby in a manger. This book has great illustrations.

Recommend: I would recommend this book to students in grades 1-3.
Teresa
This is a wonderful Christmas story about the little drummer boy. A boy receives the little drummer boy but he accidentally gets lost and the little drummer boy makes his way all around the city. The little drummer boy plays for all those he meets with his repetitive drumming sequence. Great story to use with drum props for students to interact at the same time.
Kristine Hansen
Nov 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The story of a little drummer boy who goes on one long journey after another, giving his all to play for whomever he meets. Sweet with beautiful illustrations. This book is large enough for reading aloud to several children at once, with a heartwarming conclusion that makes you long for Christmas to come.
Holly
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, journey
This picture book would make a good companion to Edward Tulane. When a toy drummer boy accidently falls into the trash, he goes on a scary journey. In the true spirit of Christmas, he ends up back where he belongs.
Shelli
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Drummer Boy is a beautifully illustrated Christmas book to share with your children during the holidays. Readers and listeners will become vested in what will become of the little soldier boy as fate takes him to various interesting locations and circumstances.
Tricia
Nov 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
beautiful art highlights story of a little drummer boy toy that experiences an adventure as he is brushed into the trash can by the family dog, taken from the dump by an owl and eventually (and oh so cheesily) ends up at the grave of his former little boy owner's grandpa.
Emily
I chose this for pre-winter break storytime because I love the story of The Steadfast Tin Soldier, as well as Loren Long. I didn't think it would be quite as sad as it was - it definitely caught both the kids and I off guard, but we all loved the story anyway.
Reepacheep
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
"Drummer Boy" is a very good read-aloud story. The artwork is beautiful and the telling of the story, while progressing predictably, is well crafted. My two young boys enjoyed sitting and listening to me read this to them.
Rose Ann
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
A beautiful picture book about a little toy drummer boy at Christmastime. I don't care for that song (YOU know which one I mean!) but this is a new, different presentation of the idea. Lovely. Highly recommended.
Kelly
Apr 06, 2011 added it
Shelves: picture-book
3.5 stars. The illustrations are brilliant - bright, bold, detailed, showing emotions. My favorite is probably of the snowman. But the story was either too long or uninteresting or just took away from the pictures. 5 stars for the illus, 2 for the story.
Suki
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Little Drummer Boy meets The Brave Tin Soldier.
Teri
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, 2011
Beautiful illustrations. Sweet story that will give you the Christmas spirit and make your heart feel warm. LOVE this book!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Dec 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, christmas
The little drummer boy gets knocked about, carried off to a garbage dump and the top of a big city, until he finally returns back home. Ages 5-10.
Diane
Dec 06, 2014 rated it liked it
I love the artwork of Loren Long.
Oliver
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jim
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
I think this is a sequel to Where Is Grandpa? .
Karen Gibson
Absolutely LOVED this book. Wish I could share it with all children. Beautiful story beautifully written. Perfect for Christmas and really any time of the year.
Karen
Our newest addition to our Christmas book stack - we just got around to reading it. Sweet, quiet story - really enjoyed it, especially the ending.
brian tanabe
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Had to buy this for the illustrations!

I absolutely loved seeing this 50% off a few days later...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons
  • An Orange for Frankie
  • Santa Claus the World's Number One Toy Expert
  • Angelina's Christmas
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • The Spirit of Christmas
  • You Can Do It, Sam
  • The King and the Sea
  • Cobweb Christmas: The Tradition of Tinsel
  • The Most Amazing Creature in the Sea
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • Regards to the Man in the Moon
I grew up in Lexington, Kentucky in the 1970’s. We had no artists of any kind in the family. We didn’t know any artists. I liked sports, especially baseball. My mother read to me a lot. But I have to admit, my favorite subject in school was gym class. I also liked to draw. My parents encouraged me to keep drawing.
More about Loren Long...