Start by marking “A Victory Garden for Trying Times” as Want to Read:
A Victory Garden for Trying Times

A Victory Garden for Trying Times

A woman’s journey through a year of love, loss, and despair.

Ever since her childhood on a Niagara farm, Debi has dug in the dirt to find resilience. But when her husband, Peter, was diagnosed with cancer in November, it was too late in the season to seek solace in her garden. With idle hands and a fearful mind, she sought something to sustain her through the months ahead.
Published September 7th 2019 by Dundurn

To ask other readers questions about A Victory Garden for Trying Times, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Victory Garden for Trying Times

Start your review of A Victory Garden for Trying Times
Cynthia
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-s
I felt compelled to read A Victory Garden for Trying Times by Debi Goodwin in one day with several breaks for processing. It is a lovely book full of happy and sad. It is about life and how we live it.

As I read it, I was struck by how much the life of a garden mirrors our lives and the healing it provides our hearts and souls whilst also providing nutrients for our bodies.

We all grieve differently and separately but we all grieve. so often, we hear or feel that someone isn't grieving like they
Emily
As soon as I saw "A Victory Garden For Trying Times" I knew it was something I wanted to read. I contemplate much of life and my illness experience in the garden and I'm always interested to read what others make of this.
I wondered if it might be like Carol Wall's book "Mr. Owita's Guide to Gardening." These was really something very different. Debi Goodwin grew up on a farm in the Niagara Region of Ontario. Farming in Niagara Region is almost exclusively horticultural. I grew up on an apple
Susanne
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
Thank you to Dundurn Press and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This is a touching and poignant read, as the author looks back on the year before her husband's death and her efforts to cope, look forward, remain positive in the face of bad news and the Damocle's sword hanging over them. Sadly, after initially responding well to chemotherapy and surgery, her husband's health rapidly declines and the author allows us to see her grieve, and come to terms with her loss. Her
AJ
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I would like to thank NetGalley for the opportunity to review this book in advance.

When I usually pick up a book, I typically try not to go on much besides the cover. But reading this, it gave me so much I didn’t know I needed. In July, I lost my absolute favorite cousin and he was very near and dear to me. So, a lot of lines in the book stuck with me. The book sent me through a series of emotions that I didn’t get a chance to feel with my best friend. The time to cry, the time to be angry at
Annie
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Having a loved one diagnosed with stage three esophageal cancer means a lot of things, not least of which is learning to become a caretaker for someone who is going to be very sick. And yet, at the beginning of A Victory Garden for Trying Times: A Memoir, author and journalist Debi Goodwin decides to take on another monumental task. At the same time that she is caring for her husband, Peter, Goodwin will also create a victory garden...

Read the rest of my review at A Bookish Type. I received a
Kate Vansuch
I received this book from Dundurn Press in return for an honest review. I can imagine that living though a spouses diagnosis and health decline from cancer requires a lot of processing and time to absorb and reflect it all. I like the idea of expressing the experience and emotions through the changing seasons and the therapy of gardening. The book was slow at times and also hard to read at certain points. That, too, parallels the seasons. It is sad to experience another person’s grief when ...more
Kathleen Gray
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's always difficult to review memoirs because it feels as though you are judging someone's life choices. It's even harder, I think, to review a memoir about grief because while we all experience it at some point, it is intensely personal. Goodwin, however, has bridged a gap by chronicling how she coped with her husband's illness and death by planning a victory garden like those so common during WWII. This is a beautifully written (and informative) book which is tough at times but never either ...more
Charlotte
DNF @ 27% in

I received an e-ARC from Dundurn Press on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I don’t know what I did expect when I requested this book, possibly I am just drawn in general to books about grief. There is nothing majorly wrong about it, it just reads like a report looking back at everything she did starting from the cancer diagnosis of her husband with her interests occasionally mixed in between. I think it could have worked better for me as a diary or with a clearer structure.
Annarella
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very good book, well written and poignant.
I'm a keen gardener and I'm always happy to read about gardens. This was a very good book and it made me think about gardens and life.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Michelle Jackson
Sep 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, memoir
A Victory Garden for Trying Times is the author’s personal perspective on navigating grief. From the time he is diagnosed, through relapses, side effects and promising progress, up until his sudden death, Debi Goodwin shares her moments of despair, hope, numbness and fierce determination to remain positive and supportive of her partner, Peter.

With no clear idea of what her and her partner’s future holds, Debi is inspired to focus her restless energy on something productive - a victory garden.
Tara Carberry

• Of Vengeance
  • Hotdog People and Other Bite-Size Sacrifices
  • Carve the Heart
  • Prisoners of Hope: An Amanda Doucette Mystery
  • Yard Dog (Jack Palace, #1)
  • The Trickster's Lullaby (An Amanda Doucette Mystery #2)
  • Fire in the Stars (An Amanda Doucette Mystery #1)
  • The Man with the Black Valise: Tracking the Killer of Jessie Keith
  • From the Inside Out
  • The Last Book Party
  • His Darkest Craving
  • Milk Street: The New Rules: Recipes That Will Change the Way You Cook
  • Last Man Down: A Firefighter's Story of Survival and Escape from the World Trade Center
  • The Wild Wisdom of Weeds: 13 Essential Plants for Human Survival