Start by marking “Willow Moss the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)” as Want to Read:
Willow Moss the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)

Willow Moss the Lost Day

(Starfell #1)

Misfit witch Willow Moss holds the fate of the magical world of Starfell in her rather unremarkable hands . . . A spellbinding new fantasy series for readers aged 812, perfect for fans of Cressida Cowell.

Willow Moss, the youngest and least powerful sister in a family of witches, has a magical ability for finding lost things like keys, or socks, or wooden teeth. Her magic
Published May 2nd 2019 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Willow Moss the Lost Day, please sign up.
Dominique Valente No, it is part of a series. Currently there are three more books to come. Book two will be out in April 2020 :)…moreNo, it is part of a series. Currently there are three more books to come. Book two will be out in April 2020 :) (less)

Start your review of Willow Moss the Lost Day (Starfell, #1)
Gavin
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want a middle grade that perfectly embodies the whimsical magic you've been searching for your whole life, then look no further than Willow Moss and the Lost Day, the first book in the Starfell series.

We follow Willow who is the youngest sister of a family of witches, and she has the power to find lost things. One day, the most feared witch visits Willow and asks for her help - last Tuesday was stolen and they need to find out what happened.

It's such an interestingly weird and wonderful
Michelle Harrison
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful book! Packed with fun, inventive magic, and loveable characters. Willow is dismissive of her magical ability at first (which is to find lost things) but I thought it was splendid, especially her clever use of it. Oswin the cat (sorry, kobold!) stole my heart. I couldnt get enough of him! Sarah Warburtons illustrations are a delight - I particularly loved the ones of Oswin, of course. There is so much to enjoy and admire here: clever and funny turns of phrase, and poignant ...more
Candace Barnard
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This has been such an incredible read, I absolutely loved it! Magic, dragons, trolls & monsters what more could you ask for?

Not only is the story magical but the illustrations are so beautiful, really bringing to life the characters in your imagination. The world as a whole and all of the characters were so well thought out that I was oohing & ahing at every piece of the puzzle as it fit together.

I 100% recommend this book to all parents looking to add a little magic to their kids
Luna
Apr 12, 2019 rated it liked it
STARFELL comes across as a cosy read reminiscent of Howl' Moving Castle with a dash of Tiffany Aching in regards to the world building by Dominique Valente. There is a grouchy kobald (cat), a witch all fear, many magical characters that appear as one thing but are another. And also there is a dragon. Books with dragons always win.

I enjoyed the environment of Starfell, and some of the characters are really fascinating. I wished there could have been more time given to fully explore there
Stephanie
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-fiction
*4.5 stars*

Lovely, warm, magical and deeply cosy. A really gentle, fun read.
 ☘ Fifi's Journey
I'm giving this 3 stars for now. It's a good cosy read but not really for me. Personally it felt a bit short for me. More could have been explored and developed.

The story reminded me a bit of The Neverending Story for some reason. I don't know why. Maybe because there are so many different and unique characters and creatures in it? The Magic? The Adventure?

It also read to me more for a younger audience.

My favourites were Oswin (the Monster Under the Bed) and Feathering the Cloud Dragon.

I
Tricia Rose
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute read for the younger reader, full of magic and quite humorous. Fans of Nevermore will love it.
Mary Rees
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a special book: a truly mesmerising read! I utterly adored everything about it: the superb world-building, the colourful characters, the fast-paced action and the warm humour.
Willow Moss is born into a family of witches, but does not have any of their exciting powers. Finding lost things does not seem a very important magical trait until a whole day Tuesday to be precise goes missing, and the most powerful, feared and revered witch in Starfell comes asking for help!
How can Willow
Andrew
Review Taken from The Pewter Wolf

***eProof given by publisher, HarperCollins, via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review/reaction, even though I borrowed and listened to audiobook from local library via BorrowBox***

Im not exactly sure how this fell onto my radar, but Ive known about this title since last year. It came out round the same time as the second book in the Nevermoor series (Another middle-grade series I really need to read as Ive heard nothing but wonderful things about it!) by
Allyce Cameron
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very clever and fun book for young readers! As well as being a fun and magical story it had lots of great messages for kids on self love, inclusivity and the fact that not everything thats different is scary! It was genuinely laugh out loud funny, and its perfectly set up for a sequel! I found the ending a bit intense, I didnt see if coming although I probably should have to be honest. A little bit too young for me to really sink my teeth into but perfect for 8-12 year olds. ...more
Dreximgirl
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had so much fun while reading this book. It had everything I wanted magic, a quest, diverse characters and a really good feeling while reading. I loved Willow, she was a very sweet and kind character whose I was rooting for. I also love the growth she had during the book.

I give this book 4.5 stars.
T.C. Shelley
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Starfell is a delightful book, written with a nostalgic tone that creates a timeless magic. It has everything: dragons, big monsters, little monsters, monsters from under the bed and monsters in human form. Willow is a delightful heroine, teaching the reader to appreciate their own talents even if no one else does.
Liz
Mar 08, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5
Fantastic world building. Great characters. Not quite enough plot to push it up to 5 stars
Charlie Watkins
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this. Very Cressida Cowell-esque which is by no means a bad thing!!
Jodie Cowdell
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
'What I have learnt about powers is that we all have some. It's not about how much you've got; it's about what you do with the little bit you have that matters most.' - Absolutely loved this book.
Ren (A Bookish Balance)
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5/5 stars
Ellie
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book 💚
Mehsi
A lost day, a girl with a memory she may not want, dragons, magic, wizards, and more~ Prepare yourself for a quest!

I had plans to read this book while I was checking out for 2020 books, and lo and behold when I visited Library #1 they added this to their English collection! I was bouncing in happiness, what a coincidence that just a few days after I added it.. it is there. Magic!

And that is what this book is. Magic. Pure magic.

When we meet Willow she is just a girl with magical powers to find
Tricia Greig
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
So sweet. Lovely characters, nice simple plot, suited to 8-12 yr old girls and really, any women looking for a cute easy read to remind them to be thankful of the gifts they have and cherish the friends they make along the way.
Kathleen Dixon
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: the Bookshop
What a lovely fable for our modern age.

Those of us who have studied a little history are well aware of the institutionalised church's attempt over the centuries to rid the world of anything that might look like the worship of nature. In this book, the Brothers of Wol had stamped out magic. They'd even convinced some of those who had the magic to betray their own kind, through indoctrination, through threats against loved ones . . . we all know the story. However, in the book, magic has started
Vincent Ripley
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book Review will be posted on www.mrripleysenchantedbooks.com
WhatBookNext .com
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Willow Moss is the youngest in her family of witches. Her mother can speak to the dead and her sister can move things with her mind, but Willow's only power is finding things. People queue at their gate and tell her what they've lost, and Willow summons them back again. She wishes she had a more interesting power.

At least until Moreg Vaine, the most famous witch of all; appears before her.To her shock, Moreg needs Willow's help. Somebody or something has stolen last Tuesday. When Willow tries to
Paperbark Merchants
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
I loved this book!

Willow Moss (great name btw) is the youngest in a family of witches and her powers are perceived as being the least exciting. She finds lost things and in this way helps to support her family. My first impression was that this is an incredible gift! But when you have older sisters who can burn things and move them with their mind, who constantly impress upon you that their powers are better and yours are underwhelming, you can certainly see why she starts to see herself as
Amy (Golden Books Girl)
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In her dazzling debut, Dominque Valente tells the story of a young witch called Willow (who feels very inadequate as her only power is the ability to find lost items), as Starfell`s most famous witch Moreg Vaine arrives one day and unexpectedly asks her for help, because last Tuesday has gone missing and Willow must find it in order to save Starfell. First of all, the worldbuilding in this was amazing. Starfell has a really interesting history and magic system, and I absolutely loved learning ...more
Victoria Alyesa
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5stars-worthy
Magic in the form of a book. There are some books that take you all the way back to the good times of your childhood, the laughter, the joy and the magic; this is one of those books. The writing is easy to follow and flows from page to page, mixed with the beautiful illustrations it brings the story truely to life with every page. Mix Alice in Wonderland and the Spiderwick Chronicles together and you still won't be able to describe how magical this story is, but it gives you an idea.

Villains and
Gilly
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Willow Moss was born into a family of witches. However Willow has no exciting powers, however she is good at finding lost things. To Willow this doesn't seem very important till a whole day , Tuesday goes missing ! Along comes Moreg Vaine the most powerful witch in Starfell she needs Willows help. They need to find Tuesday or the whole of Starfell will begin to unravel. She sets out on an adventure to find Tuesday with her carpet bag and Oswin the Kobold who looks like a big orange cat ( whoops) ...more
Carolyn
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Willow Moss feels that she has the worst magical ability in her entire family: whereas her mother can commune with the dead, her older sisters Juniper and Camille can use their minds to blow things up and move things, Willow finds things that are lost. But though it's not as flashy, moving things with your mind or blowing things up are of no use when it turns out last Tuesday has gone missing, leave a hole in reality that, if not fixed, could cause the world of Starfell to unravel like a sock. ...more
Jenny Caddick
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Young witch Willow Moss comes from a family of talented witches but feels her special power of finding lost things isn't much of a magical skill and certainly not much to be proud of. However when the day Tuesday goes missing and the scariest witch in Starfell ,Moreg Vaine , comes seeking Willow's help,she sets out on a mission to find the lost day . A mission that will test her true powers,bravery and heart to the limit. A mission that shows us all that every moment and every memory we ever ...more
Megan
Mar 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the story about a young witch named Willow who appears to have the least magic of her sisters and yet her ability to find lost objects comes in handy in unexpected ways.

One day Willow is approached by a powerful witch named Morag to help find out what happened to the lost day of Tuesday, she's surprised and rather intimidated. Realizing that she is needed, she sets off with Morag and her trusty friend Oswald the Kobold who is quite the interesting character.

When Morag is captured by a
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Willow Moss and the Lost Day (Starfell #1) by Dominique Valente, 288 pages. HarperCollins, 2020. $17. 9780062879400

Content: G (mild danger)

BUYING ADVISORY: EL ESSENTIAL; MS - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Willow doesnt think much of her magical power the ability to find things. Her older sister have mighty, showy powers. Then one day the infamous witch Moreg Vaine comes to Willow asking Willow to help her find an entire missing day. First Willow will need to find an oublier, a forgotten teller
« previous 1 3 4 next »
NZ Intermediate S...: Willow Moss and the Lost Day 1 4 Mar 29, 2020 04:24PM

• The Highland Falcon Thief
  • The Girl Who Stole an Elephant
  • Malamander (Malamander, #1)
  • The Land of Roar
  • The Middler
  • Rumblestar
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • Bloom
  • High-rise Mystery
  • The Last Spell Breather
  • Asha & the Spirit Bird
  • Tilly and the Lost Fairytales (Pages & Co., #2)
  • The Deepest Breath
  • The Midnight Hour (The Midnight Hour, #1)
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • I, Cosmo
  • WildSpark
  • Charlie Changes Into a Chicken
Dominique Valente is fairly certain she has a Benjamin Button type of disease where you grow younger the older you get, as apart from an odd blip in her twenties where she was a journalist for ten years, she came to her senses and decided to make up stories about witches and grumpy monsters instead.

She grew up in South Africa, but now lives in the UK along the Suffolk coast with her husband and

Starfell (2 books)
  • Willow Moss the Forgotten Tale (Starfell #2)