Start by marking “A Gift for Elizabeth” as Want to Read:
A Gift for Elizabeth

A Gift for Elizabeth

Sundered from her parents and sisters, a depressed Elizabeth Bennet lives with the Gardiners in London, attempting to find anything which will bring purpose to her life. When times seem most desperate, she makes a new acquaintance in Mr. Darcy, and the encounter changes her perspective entirely.

With the spirit of Christmas burning within her, Elizabeth begins to recover f
Published December 21st 2018 by One Good Sonnet Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Gift for Elizabeth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Gift for Elizabeth

wosedwew
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, book-reviews
A wise lover values not so much the gift of the lover as the love of the giver. ~ Thomas á Kempis

Separated from her family, Elizabeth Bennet feels lost in London – without purpose or direction in her life. Most of the angst in this story has occurred before the story begins. We know Elizabeth has suffered but her sadness is revealed slowly.

She is comfortable living with the Gardiners but needs occupation. She believes she must pursue a life as a companion or governess. Her relatives suggest tha
James S
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Bennets in the hedgerows

A wonderful Xmas story. A well written P&P variation.

Mr. Bennet is gone. Lydia has runaway with a soldier. Jane is married to Bingley. Charles move Mrs. Bennet, Mary and Kitty to Essex leave the scandal behind. Bingley and Jane head north to leave scandal behind. Lizzy goes to the Gardiners to leave scandal behind.

So is the beginning of the story. The rest is a classic Xmas novella. I loved the story, probably because it’s two days before Xmas.

I recommend the book hig
Lynn
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A Delightful Story

This is a lovely story set just before Christmas. This book tells the story of Elizabeth in London after a disgrace in her family. She sets out to do something for others which leads her to meeting Mr. Darcy and Georgianna. This progress happily from there. The gift to Elizabeth is a wonderful surprise and leaves you feeling happy. A lovely Christmas story.
Sheila Majczan
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was lovely...heartwarming and well written.

The beginning is rather suspenseful although we JAFF readers can guess who the young lady sitting in a snowfall while waiting for the long-overdue carriage ride to return home is, we are not given her history. That comes out as she meets both Mr. Darcy and his sister as they, also, have committed time to the Foundling Hospital as volunteers or, for him, as a patron. OCD is quick to see the good qualities in each other. But that history which is hid
Madenna U
This very sweet Christmas story features a kind young lady who has been forced to live with her relatives upon the death of her father. She meets a benevolent handsome man while volunteering at the local orphanage. They develop a friendship, and she shares her deep rooted secrets which don't seem to scare him away. He defends her to others and proves his love to find their happily ever after.

The characters are all based on those in Pride & Prejudice. Other than their names, relationships and
Mary Ann
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing

Delightful Love Story at Christmas Time
December 24, 2018
Verified Purchase
A well written novel with a delightful plot. It showed Elizabeth at her lowest level due to the loss of her father, loss of her childhood home, and the disgrace of her sister Lydia. The love of her Aunt and Uncle in Cheapside who took her in and loved her and got her involved in charity work at a foundling home for orphans.
While Elizabeth worked with the children in the foundling home, she meets Darcy and Georgiana and wit
Jessica
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: p-p-variances
While there were several instances of continuity issues, I for the most part liked this story. It was a quick, sweet, mild drama, happily-ever-after type story. Just what I needed to read today.
Gail Frisby
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Book

Loved it I like a book with few villans. Liked the fact that Wickham was already disposed of before the story began. I would have liked an epilogue.
lori huff
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful surprise from Mr. Rowland

I read everything this author puts out because he is a talented wordsmith with some clever and very original ideas for P&P variations. His stories are usually filled with drama, emotion, heartache, villains and adventure. This story is a charming departure from his more serious works, being much shorter and light hearted. The romance of Elizabeth and Darcy is arrived at without all the usual misunderstandings and conflicts, and their connection begins in a
Buturot
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Goodstory

Love Mr Rowland's stories Clean, with some lessons and nice romance. There were very few grammatical errors- wrong word or words were in terms wrong place . There was one part that I think it should be Mr "Gardiner" but " Darxy" was used(it couldn't be Darcy coz he is The one speaking) I couldn't rate this 5 stars because I didn't think it was to my liking having FD and EB acting betrothed though there was no actual proposal. Added note: Like other variaions I have read, I like it when
Joan
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Avid Reader

This was a delightful Christmas story centering on Darcy improving Elizabeth 's outlook on life. Sadly, Mr.Bennett lost his life because of Lydia. She left the family with Mr. Denny, which was the best thing for the family. Bingley had already married Jane, but he separated the family to avoid scandal and moved away making everyone miserable. Thanks to Caroline and her behavior at Pemberly, Darcy and Bingley were estranged. When she saw Darcy and Georgina with Elizabeth, she tried to
Lisana Gabriel
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Is this the same author?

I’ve read many of Jann Rowland’s books, and was excited to see that he’d published another one. This one, however, was not nearly as well written as the others. There were typos everywhere (he instead of her, etc., references to incorrect people (Mr. Darcy instead of Mr. Gardiner where the two are speaking). I would presume this was a first attempt at writing if I hadn’t already read several by this author. Sadly, I read it to get through as opposed to really enjoying it.
PJ Jones
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful tale

I love reading tales about Christmas with Jane Austen characters. Have not read Jann Rowland's work before but found it wonderful. Look forward to reading more in the future. Had a few twists in the novel that kept my interest and stayed consistent with the original intent. Lizzy was as wonderful as usual.
Bethany
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
As a stand alone story, this was fine but not my cup of tea.

As a Pride and Prejudice variation, I was let down. The characters were not truly themselves. I was simply not convinced that this was our beloved Elizabeth and Darcy. I've read a few others by Rowland and enjoyed them, but this one really missed the mark for scratching the E&D itch.
Joyann Montgomery
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A Pleasure to Read

This novel is so well written that it includes just about everything one hopes will be in a clean romance novel of this period. It has exciting, well fleshed out characters and a plot that has some unexpected twists and turns. It deals in a sensitive way with both pathos and joy.
Berta Garcia
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very entertaining

I liked this novel very much because it is very different from the other Pride and Prejudice variations.
It has romance but other parallel situations that enrich t he narrative.
Lori
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this!

A well-written, entertaining story. One minor quibble: Darcy's surprise for Elizabeth was telegraphed pretty heavily, so it certainly was no surprise for the reader!
Jan Lystad
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Predictable

Well-written P&P variation, with sweet, innocent characters, and not much action. No villains worth naming. Not a bad read, but somewhat forgettable. Proposal is decidedly de trop.
Michelle
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Festive

A rather unusual variation of Jane Austen’s classic Pride and Prejudice. It strays rather far from cannon but is an enjoyable holiday visit with our friends
Charlene
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent story from Mr Rowland. Though there is very little angst. Throughly enjoyed the story.
Jean Stillman
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Clean, sweet, and a different spin on a favorite book.
An enjoyable read.
Lisa E
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good writer

Evidently it is possible to enjoy a book in spite of a few typos and missing words when the author actually knows how to write an enjoyable story.
E Jeanette
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet story!

Lovely Christmas story of ODC first meeting in London. Short but lovely. But this is now several times I have seen several authors get the phrase wrong, as it is Not “putting the horse before the cart (as that is correct order in the first place, but the expression for the wrong sequence (which is what I believe the authors are trying to convey) is definitely: “putting the cart before the horse”. Thank you!
Jacquie Franciulli
Jan 01, 2019
Sara
Jan 01, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Jann Rowland is a Canadian, born and bred. Other than a two-year span in which he lived in Japan, he has been a resident of the Great White North his entire life, though he professes to still hate the winters.

Though Jann did not start writing until his mid-twenties, writing has grown from a hobby to an all-consuming passion. His interests as a child were almost exclusively centered on the exotic f