Start by marking “The Beast of Rose Valley: A Creature Feature Horror Suspense (Lorestalker Book 1)” as Want to Read:

Something evil stalks the citizens of Rose Valley—not for the first time, but hopefully for the last.

After suffering through a horrific car accident, Jake Rollins struggles to survive in his tiny hometown of Rose Valley—a place to which he hoped never to return.

When a sheep is viciously mutilated on the ranch where Jake is recovering, he's dragged back into the cloying

Published March 4th 2019 by Evolved Publishing LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Beast of Rose Valley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beast of Rose Valley

Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
I don't usually read books like this but I have to admit, I was really impressed with this book.
It was fast paced and really grabbed my attention.

I did have a few issues but not many. I felt like there were to many characters, while I get they all have important parts, there were just times where there were so many that I didn't know who was who. Also, when the action happened, I feel like it was rushed and kinda jumpy. I got the idea of what was going on but there were times I was wondering wh
Alicia Smock
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
For readers and fans of monster legends and folklore, prepare yourselves for a new writer and his series to captivate your attention. New author J.P. Barnett has just recently published the first in his new Lorestalker Series that promises to give stories to readers fascinated by the legendary folktales of old. The Beast of Rose Valley is the first of Barnett’s series as well as his debut novel and offers a fast-paced suspenseful tale about a monster terrorizing a small town and what the small t ...more
Crystal's Book World ~ Crystal Cordova
I was not sure if I would be able to read The Beast of Rose Valley. I hardly can read horror stories with the "monster" character lurking in the shadow. J.P. Barnett surpassed my expectations. You get the thriller and chills. I was holding on to the my kindle as I swiped through each page.

The characters were well developed too. There were a few moments I would lose who did what, but the author does an amazing job getting you back on track. So many suspenseful moments that were hard to figure ou
Happy Booker
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
The beast of rose valley is a horror thriller story about something killing Steve’s Lambs in Rose Valley. His livestock is being killed in a very suspicious way and no matter how hard he and his friend Jake try to enforce more investigation towards the matter, the officials do not follow up on it. Then Shandi, the journalist shows up and changes the dynamic of the situation in a very interesting way.

As a horror story, I believe the story was spot on. It was just as thrilling to figure out who wa
Joshua Hair
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mister Barnett has done an excellent job here and should be applauded for a solid, exciting, and unique first novel. Too often, I see new authors closing in from emulation to reproduction of the works that inspired them. Yes, a writer should utilize the work that spoke to them to begin with and should strive to write as well as the authors they look up to, but one must be careful to eck out their own voice. I believe Mister Barnett did just that with Beast of Rose Valley. He clearly has a love f ...more
Matthew Kosub
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fantastic book. I was really engrossed not only with the story, but with the characters themselves. The book is about 276 pages, but I couldn’t put it down and read the whole thing over about 10 hours. The plot was AMAZING and kept me guessing. Being from Texas, I really empathized with the characters and the setting. I’m really looking forward to reading more books by this author.
Dean Palmer
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mr. Barnett takes us on a journey to small town Texas and brings into the culture and intrigue of living where a Cryptid is discovered. His actions scenes are as fast as a Clive Cussler story, and he uses Michael Crichton like ethical questioning to compel you to move from page to page as you look to understand the mystery behind what is happening in Rose Valley. Great new author. I look forward to reading more from him.
Hollyann
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s a strange thing to read a book and recognize its DNA, from people and places in your life.

A great first book, by a new author. I’m looking forward to reading more from him and seeing his talent grow.

If you enjoy eerie creature features, this one needs to go on your list.
Shaun Little
Mar 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
J.P. Barnett offers a slice of small town Texas life within a captivating horror/mystery and adds a great twist ending on for good measure. I hope this is the first of many good reads to come for this debut author. Can't wait for Lorestalker Book #2.
Rachael
Mar 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Horror isn't usually my thing but I love a well told sorry and I couldn't put this one down. The characters already feel like friends. The relationships are nuanced and full of the complications we find in real life. The mystery is intriguing and the writing intelligent and smooth. Some books are interesting but I feel like the writing makes me stumble. Not so with J.P. Barnett's writing. I still don't love horror and could do without gory scenes (it wasn't bad but I have an active imagination s ...more
Carin
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, fun read to escape from my day. I really enjoyed this one.
Mistie Walser
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fast-paced and engaging. Not my usual genre, but this book kept me hooked until the end. Loved the rich details of the tiny Texas town and the characters that inhabit it. Good read.
Oliver Clarke
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
review coming soon on scifiandscary.com
Amanda
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all, this is not as horrific as one would expect from a “horror” book, thank goodness. This certainly kept me entertained; I had a hard time putting it down. It’s intelligent, fast-paced, and creative.
Given that this is the beginning of this author’s career, I’m sure we will see a lot of growth as time goes by.
There were a few really great one-liners! It’s important to me that authors have a sense of humor, regardless of the genre. Sometimes I need that little break from the drama.
The p
Alicia Rhiannan
Mar 14, 2019
Jared Hayden
Apr 22, 2019
J.P. Barnett grew up in a tiny Texas town where the list of possible vocations failed to include published author.

As a child, J.P. consumed any book he could get his hands on. The likes of Stephen King, Michael Crichton, and Dean Koontz paved the bookshelves of his childhood, providing a plethora of fantastical and terrifying tales that he read way too early in life. Though the effect these books